PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) (ToB) Lets try this as a PrC instead... (PEACH)

DracoDei
2010-01-04, 02:13 PM
Tried this as a base class. Was advised by ErrantX that it screamed Prestige Class, went with that concept...

SUBLIME FORM MASTER

http://Picture URL

The stance of the deranged monkey must always be considered as a alternative to the stance of the drunken monkey. True, the difference between them when at rest is only a relocation of the little toes by the thickness of a piece of paper, but from such small differences, great divergences flow. Of course, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Some seek the perfect poise within one's self, believing the enemy to be a purely secondary concern.

BECOMING A SUBLIME FORM MASTER
Most sublime form masters are Sword-sages, or multiclassed in multiple approaches to the sublime way. Most have also focused attention on improving their mastery of stances even before starting down this path (IE have the "Martial Stance" feat).

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Stances: Must know 4 Martial Stances.

Class Skills
The Sublime Form Master's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are: All associated skills for disciplines chosen, plus Balance(Dex), Knowledge(Local)(Int), and Knowledge(Religion)(Int), and Martial Lore(Int)
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d10

LevelBase Attack BonusFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveStances KnownSpecial

1st
+1
+2
+2
+01-

2nd
+2
+3
+3
+0-Stance Insight +1, Bonus Feat

3rd
+3
+3
+3
+11-

4th
+4
+4
+4
+1-Bonus Feat

5th
+5
+4
+4
+11Stance Mastery

6th
+6
+5
+5
+2-Reactive Repositioning

7th
+7
+5
+5
+21Stance Insight +2

8th
+8
+6
+6
+2-Flowing Form

9th
+9
+6
+6
+31Bonus Feat

10th
+10
+7
+7
+3-Greater Stance Mastery, Progressive Learning

LevelBase Attack BonusFort SaveRef SaveWill SaveStances KnownSpecial

1st
+1
+2
+2
+01-

2nd
+2
+3
+3
+0-Stance Insight +1

3rd
+3
+3
+3
+11-

4th
+4
+4
+4
+1-Bonus Feat

5th
+5
+4
+4
+11Stance Mastery

6th
+6
+5
+5
+2-Reactive Repositioning

7th
+7
+5
+5
+21Stance Insight +2

8th
+8
+6
+6
+2-Flowing Form

9th
+9
+6
+6
+31Bonus Feat

10th
+10
+7
+7
+3-Improved Stance Mastery, Progressive Learning

Weapon Proficiencies: A sublime form master gains no armor, weapon or shield proficiencies.

Disciplines and Stances: At first level a sublime form master selects nine disciplines to be his class disciplines for this class. These must include all disciplines that he already knows at least one stance or maneuver from (unless he knows stances or maneuvers from more than nine disciplines, in which case he picks nine of those). He must still meet all special requirements for eligibility for those disciplines (demonic posession, ability to breath water, whatever...) to be allowed to select them.
For purposes of Stances, sublime form master counts as an Initiating Class, for purposes of manuevers, sublime form master counts as a Non-Initiating Class.

Stance Insight: For purposes of meeting the requirements of a stance, or feat, your number of manuevers known in a given discipline increases by the amount given (even from zero). This has no benefit for learning maneuvers. You also add twice this bonus to martial Lore checks to identify a stance.

Bonus Feats: As per fighter bonus feats, including access to Fighter-only feats. Sublime form master levels stack with all other applicable levels for determining equivalent fighter level.

Stance Mastery: At 5th level, you can have two stances active simultaneously. When you use an action (Swift, Immediate, or Free as the case may be) to change or initiate you stance, you can change or initiate one or both stances.

Reactive Repositioning (Ex): Once per day you may change the stance(s) you are in as an immediate action, instead of a swift action.

Flowing Form (Ex): Once per day, during your turn, you may change the stance(s) you are in as a free action, instead of a swift action.

Greater Stance Mastery (Ex): At 10th level, your Stance Mastery improves, and now applies to up to three stances at a time(instead of two at a time), any or all of which may be changed with a single swift action (unless you use Reactive Repositioning, Flowing Form, or some other such ability, in which case it is a free or immediate action).

Progressive Learning (Ex): At 10th level you may exchange a single stance you know for another, within the same rules as exchanging maneuvers at an even level of a martial initiating class. In future, whenever you could exchange a maneuver, you may instead exchange a stance as per above.

Fluff and example characters I haven't filled out yet (and might never) are in this spoiler.

PLAYING A SUBLIME FORM MASTER
Brief description on how to play the class you are designing.
Combat: Here's a section where you will describe common combat methods for your class. Remember to include information on how your class will use his powers in combat.
Advancement: This is a section on different options and paths that the class can go down when they advance in power.
Resources: What resources might a member of this PrC be able to draw on..

SUBLIME FORM MASTER IN THE WORLD
A quote of somebody else talking about your class!

A brief description of how your class is persevered in the world and how he interacts with the world.
Daily Life: Some general information about the typical day in the life of your class.
Notables: Make up some cool information about notable figures in the history of your class. It's best to give a little information from one of the good alignment and evil alignment (unless it's a good or evil only class).
Organizations: Some information about organizations dedicated to the practice of your class and other organizations which members of your class will be attracted towards.

NPC Reaction
This is an in detail description of how NPC's would perceive your class and the immediate generalization that people would give of your class.

SUBLIME FORM MASTER IN THE GAME
This is a good place to provide a quick note on how your class will effect game play statistically.
Adaptation: This is a place where you put in detail how people can adapt your class into their campaign setting.
Encounters: This is a place to describe what sort of encounters PC's will have with NPC versions of your class.

Sample Encounter
Give an example of how one might encounter a member of this PrC.
EL x: Give the encounter level and description of a sample member of this class and a stat block for him/her.

Name
alignment/Gender/Race/Levels
Init +0, Senses: Listen +, Spot +,
Languages
------------------------------------------------
AC , touch , flat-footed ()
hp ( HD)
Fort +, Ref +, Will +
------------------------------------------------
Speed ft. ( squares)
Melee
Base Atk +, Grp +
Atk Options
Combat Gear
Spells Prepared
Supernatural Abilities
-----------------------------------------------
Abilities Str , Dex , Con , Int , Wis , Cha
SQ
Feats
Skills
Possessions

ErrantX
2010-01-04, 02:17 PM
Woot, you used my name :P

Will PEACH when finished.

-X

DracoDei
2010-01-04, 02:28 PM
Sorry, I rarely remember who said what... should have looked it up. Fixed now.

DracoDei
2010-01-04, 06:36 PM
Ok... mechanically I consider this complete, and I already said I was probably not going to do any more fluff...

elliott20
2010-01-04, 08:48 PM
looks pretty good to me.

might want to change the wording in greater stance mastery to "may be changed with a single swift action", just to keep it consistent with current stance changing rules for clarification.

DracoDei
2010-01-04, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I could do that (and was aware of the possibility of wording it like that), but then people might interpret it to mean that if you are triple-stancing you can't use Reactive Repositioning or Flowing Form... I guess I could say "swift action (unless you use Reactive Repositioning, Flowing Form, or some other such ability)".

EDIT: Changed that.

EDIT^2: Also decided to throw in a restriction on which nine disciplines get picked so you can't cherry-pick TOO much... you now have to pick everything that you already have at least one stance or maneuver from before you can go on to new things... not that it should matter since this class only gives you 6 picks 5 new, and one replacement).

elliott20
2010-01-04, 10:07 PM
Ahh I see. You were trying to make sure you leave room so that reactive positioning and flowing form can still function.

Good call there. Maybe within the text of the two abilities you can add in a note that goes something to the tune of "instead of a swift action like you normally would need". (Except worded much better than that, cuz I'm not a wordsmith)

Tim4488
2010-01-04, 10:42 PM
I like it. Wanted to suggest something for that 3rd level ??? you've got, but nothing's springing to mind.

DracoDei
2010-01-04, 10:57 PM
Maybe within the text of the two abilities you can add in a note that goes something to the tune of "instead of a swift action like you normally would need". (Except worded much better than that, cuz I'm not a wordsmith)
Done.

Tim4488: I was considering putting something at 3rd level, but I don't have to.

Sereg
2010-01-05, 08:08 AM
I like this. A lot. How about this for a quote “Do those people really think that the only important thing in a fight is the way you stand?” – Warblade that I haven’t named. The difference in initiator progression between maneuvers and stances may make bookkeeping more difficult but it’s an interesting mechanic that fits.

DracoDei
2010-01-08, 01:44 PM
Reworked the table, moving Stance Insight +1 to an earlier level and adding another bonus feat. The intention is to keep the class from being too back-loaded. Preserved the old chart in a spoiler, in case individual people prefer it, or I decide to change things back. What do people think?