PDA

View Full Version : Revised Pantheon

alpha9, aka Jim
2010-01-06, 12:04 AM
I just started DMing a desert campaign for a small group of friends
I am trying to set up a modified version of the Mulhorandi Pantheon from the Forgotten Realms

Could someone give me ideas for alternative names

Original Names; Alignment; Domain
Anhur; CG; Chaos, Good, Strength, Storm, War
Geb; N; Cavern, Craft, Earth, Protection
Hathor; NG; Family, Fate, Good, Moon
Horus-Re; LG; Good, Law, Nobility, Retribution, Sun
Isis; NG; Family, Good, Magic, Storm, Water
Nephthys; CG; Chaos, Good, Protection, Trade
Osiris; LG; Death, Good, Law, Plant, Retribution
Sebek; NE; Animal, Evil, Scalykind, Water
Set; LE; Air, Darkness, Evil, Hatred, Law, Magic, Scalykind
Thoth; N; Craft, Knowledge, Magic, Rune, Spell

Also can someone give me some alternatives for these favoured weapons
long cow horns (short sword)
an ankh (khopesh)
an ankh and star (punching dagger)
an ankh trailing a golden mist (whip)

Please and Thank You

Zeta Kai
2010-01-06, 06:01 AM
I'm sorry, but I see no reason why this can't be spelled correctly. I know it's largely irrelevant, both to your project & to the world at large, but seriously, it bugs me. It's spelled PANTHEON (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheon_(gods)). With an E.

As for your actual request, what kind of alternate names are you going for here? Are you trying to maintain the pseudo-Egyptian vibe of the Mulhorandi, do you have a different cultural background in mind, or do you just want a group of cool-sounding names? Also, I presume that you wish to keep the same domains?

Lastly, a phalanx is a great alternative to a club. It worked for the Greeks.

The Rose Dragon
2010-01-06, 07:03 AM
Lastly, a phalanx is a great alternative to a club. It worked for the Greeks.

Well, a club is a single weapon, while phalanx is a unit formation. A full unit of armed and armored soldiers almost always beats a single weapon.

alpha9, aka Jim
2010-01-06, 10:13 AM
For the style of names I was hoping to keep with the desert theme the only reason to change them is because one of my friends is a history guru when it comes to mythology.

For the weapons its the fluf that I need to change.

Zeta Kai
2010-01-07, 08:00 AM
Well, a club is a single weapon, while phalanx is a unit formation. A full unit of armed and armored soldiers almost always beats a single weapon.

Yes, but the formation was named after the Greek term for "finger". Like your phallanges (sing. phalanx), your finger- & toe-bones, are rod-shaped, & not army-formation-shaped. Those bones are literally phallic...

Ahem.

Anyway, the word phalanx can be used in lieu of the word rod. As in metal beating stick. See truncheon, night stick, club, mace, et al.

For the style of names I was hoping to keep with the desert theme the only reason to change them is because one of my friends is a history guru when it comes to mythology.

I would still request that you be more specific. "Desert theme" is not overly helpful, due to the fact that there are many real-life desert-based cultures. I presume that you are either shooting for a quasi-Egyptian theme, or a faux-Arabic theme. Please denote clearly which, as that would have a significant impact on the available options.