PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt necromancer advice needed

adecoy95
2010-01-07, 05:09 AM
so, i am playing a gestalt character and i need some advice about a few things, but first, i should try to explain exactly what my character is and a few other house rules we have.

EVERYTHING, from 3.5 to dragon magazine to even some 3.0 (with permission from the dm) is allowed, as long as its from wizards ofc.

ok, first of all, the two classes i picked at the beginning i am stuck with, if i prestige or change class in any way im locked out of gestalt for the rest of my characters levels, even if i want to switch back to the same combonation later on. also, the first LA is free (+1 was +0).

currently i am playing a human divine minion of sebek dread necromancer/generic spellcaster 6 that looks something like this

dn/gs abberant blood, abberant wild shape, tomb tainted soul
dn/gs
dn/gs natural spell
dn/gs
dn/gs evasion (i chose reflex from generic instead of will)
dn/gs ????

leadership got opened unexpectedly at level six, and i am thinking about taking it, perhaps for an artificer? or should i take undead leadership for a more combat oriented cohort? a mount? i am not very knowledgeable with things related to cohort except that its 2 levels lower than you. i hope to find something that works well with a necromancer. the cohort is not gestalt and likely does not get a free +1 la. what do yall think about using the gestalt for an uttercold assault necromancer?

also, i am planning on taking assume supernatural ability (quickness) for the choker aberrant form to take advantage of my large spell pool. with the will of the wisp as a defensive form, getting the 4th level spell improved wild shape i think to get the spell immunity and invisibility when i can. i could really use a way to increase my will saves, i know about getting a cloak of resistance, are there any spells that stack with the cloak of resistance? it could be rough rolling a 21 will save every time i want to get an extra standard :smalleek:

the other big thing i am having trouble with is finding decent spells for the spellcaster side, alot of the guides are for spells from either wizard or cleric or druid spell lists, as well as the feats to go with them, but not if they are combined! if anyone knows of any good spell guides for having access to druid wizard and cleric spell lists i would be grateful. listing some good spellcasting guides would be good too.

TLDR:

i could use some spellcasting guides for a gestalt with wizard/druid/cleric spell lists (as a sorceror), some information about neat uses for leadership including builds to assist a necromancer.

thanks for taking the time to read my first post :smallsmile:

JeminiZero
2010-01-07, 05:57 AM
If you are going with Dread Necromancer, it might be worthwhile to simply take Necropolitan as your race, and stack Evolved Undead on the other half of gestalt. Convince your GM that since Dread Necroancers get free Lichdom at level 20, becoming a Necropolitan now isn't that big an issue (or count it as your free 1 LA). The massive Cha bonus gives you bonus spells out the wazoo and the lost of shapeshifting powers is partly compensated for by the massive Str, Nat Armor bonus and fast healing. Plus you get some nifty SLAs on top of everything else

Otherwise Tomb Tainted Soul is a must have for living Dread Necro. Lets them heal themsleves for free. Dread Necros are also one of the few classes that can amass undead hordes effectively, so you might want to consider the Corpse crafter feat as well.

adecoy95
2010-01-07, 06:27 AM
If you are going with Dread Necromancer, it might be worthwhile to simply take Necropolitan as your race, and stack Evolved Undead on the other half of gestalt. Convince your GM that since Dread Necroancers get free Lichdom at level 20, becoming a Necropolitan now isn't that big an issue (or count it as your free 1 LA). The massive Cha bonus gives you bonus spells out the wazoo and the lost of shapeshifting powers is partly compensated for by the massive Str, Nat Armor bonus and fast healing. Plus you get some nifty SLAs on top of everything else

Otherwise Tomb Tainted Soul is a must have for living Dread Necro. Lets them heal themsleves for free. Dread Necros are also one of the few classes that can amass undead hordes effectively, so you might want to consider the Corpse crafter feat as well.

i have tomb tainted soul, i just forgot to put it on the list (1st level generic feat). :smallredface:

i was thinking about taking the corpse crafter feat, but im torn on the idea, if i take corpse crafter, yes, my undead get stronger, but if i take fell drain metamagic feat, i could cast a flaming weapon buff (or blade of pain and fear) on my biggest monster and have all his hits do a negative level on strike. corpse crafter would be more consistent tho. i cannot do necropolitan, for one cause i took tomb tainted soul already, and also, i really am hoping to take advantage of the chokers abilitys and the defensive power of the wisp

JeminiZero
2010-01-07, 07:06 AM
Oh, so the game is already underway?

and also, i really am hoping to take advantage of the chokers abilitys and the defensive power of the wisp

You would need the Assme Supernatural Ability Feat, and for your DM to permit the feat to wildshape (Assume Supernatural Ability explicitly applies to polymorph and other similiar abilities, whether wildshape counts as such a 'similiar ability' is subject to DM). Or you would have to take the polymorph/shapechange spell line.

Other than that, the only thing I can help you with is to direct you to TLN's wizardry guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104002). Google should be able to point you to some Cleric guides.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-07, 07:08 AM
I actually say, if its not too late to go Dread Necromancer (HoH)//Death Master (DMC). and I second the Necropolitan.

Optimystik
2010-01-07, 08:06 AM
Death Master is not a very good option. There's a lot of redundancy with DN (particularly with spells) and you gain no more saves than a DN would. You go up to 3/4 BAB but you also become MAD (DM spells use Int, DN uses Cha.)

Warlock (CArc) gives you a lot of flavor and utility on the other side of a DN gestalt. You'll get to do all kinds of things that DN's have trouble with, such as blast and fly, and you'll also be fairly durable with DR/bludgeoning, DR/magic and DR/cold iron.

Alternatively, go with Spellthief (CAdv), and make sneak attack rolls with your Charnel/Scabrous Touch (including at range with Spectral Hand.) Both options will also give you 3/4 BAB while having stat synergy. You can also grab some utility spells with Spellthief's natural casting ability in addition to what you can take from enemies.

The flavor might be tough to swing, but Battle Dancer (DrC) is also a phenomenal choice, getting Cha to AC, Full BAB, speed bonus, great movement skills (like Tumble) as class skills, and a reflex save.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-07, 11:50 AM
Pay attention guys, if he multiclasses or takes a prestige class his character will no longer be gestalt. He's not going to do that, so don't even bother suggesting it. The character is stuck single-classed Dread Necromancer//Generic Spellcaster.

You're a Divine Minion with Aberration Wild Shape. You can change your form as a free action, conceivably multiple times every round. Take Assume Supernatural Ability from Savage Species. Combat starts: Wild Shape: Choker, cast two spells; Wild Shape: Gauth, use all six eye rays; Wild Shape: Umber Hulk, confusing gaze; Wild Shape: Thought Eater, Ethereal Jaunt. Next round, jaunt back to the material plane and repeat the process.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-07, 11:50 AM
You have a point Opt. I thought he could also go one of the two evil paladin variants, then go blackguard, so it'd look something like this @ 20th:

DN 20//Paladin (Slaughter or Tyranny) 5/Blackguard 10/Cleric 5

choose death and war domains. Nuff said

adecoy95
2010-01-09, 10:19 AM
Biffoniacus_Furiou is right tho, some of the suggestions i cant use, although your suggestion involves many standard actions :smallamused:

i appreciate the suggestions sofar tho, i was wondering if you all could answer another question for me, this one is kinda rules based, i think that if i use fell drain on a magic missile it will only do one negative level per target and not many if on the same target, but what if i use it on a spell that has a duration? say, for example, a flaming weapon spell a blade of pain and fear or chill touch? since it "does damage to foes" on multiple rounds, would it apply the negative level multiple times?