PDA

View Full Version : Immortal Bookeeper: a Build Check {3.5}

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-07, 09:03 AM
I just need the build proofread:

Race: Half-Elf Necropolitan
Class: Domain Cloistered Wizard w/ Companion (Familiar Replacement) (Domain Undecided) (Cloistered is a homebrew that gives up Scribe Scroll for Bardic Knowledge) 7/Paragonistic Apostle 5/ Lorekeeper 8
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Backstory: A humble bookeeper, he was abducted by a Cult of Orcus and turned into a Necropolitan, due to a book he sold being a counterfeit, this of course outside his knowledge. Having been made an immortal, he made it his goal to find every last scrap of obscure knowledge in the Planes. Setting out on his quest, he now uses his Undeath as a means to an end.

Eloel
2010-01-07, 09:05 AM
I think Archivist class would be a better fit for a 'I seek knowledge' character then a Wizard. Just saying - at least consider it :)

Optimystik
2010-01-07, 09:06 AM
Paragnostic Apostle is only 5 levels long.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-07, 11:13 AM
Paragnostic Apostle is only 5 levels long.

Sorry. AFB at the time.

and I chose wizard because it seemed more appropriate for the concept. He collects knowledge for others to weild.

Pluto
2010-01-07, 12:39 PM
Why are you dropping the familiar for an animal companion? (I'll assume "companion" indicates the UA variant that grants a Druid companion at half-rate advancement)

Familiars advance in your non-wizard levels while Animal Companions stagnate. Familiars have higher Intelligence scores so they can follow more complex instructions ("Fetch" and "Guard" only have so much utility) and they share your saves and skills. That means when you fail a Knowledge or a Search check, your Raven might succeed. And Loremaster's UMD for familiars is one of its strongest selling points.

But beyond that, the build looks fine. None of the PrCs or variants are exactly powerhouses on their own, but with full wizard casting, it's hard to go wrong.

Thurbane
2010-01-07, 04:32 PM
I also vote for Archivist, since INT will be his primary ability.

Are you wedded to him being a half-elf? If you take Gnome (or a Gnome subrace), he can take the Trivial Knowledge feat, which allows you to roll twice for all Knowledge and Lore checks, and take the better result.

Also, if you're prepred to lose a casting level, a 1 level dip into Dragonfire Adept gets you the Draconic Knowledge invocation, that gives an (untyped?) +6 bonus to all Knowledge and Spellcraft checks.

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-07, 05:35 PM
I see. My problem is my illustrious DM said that a Dragon Familiar (in the original concept) losts its breath weapon, but could be a "conduit" for my spells. ie: Tharen casts Orb of Frost thorugh his Blue Dragon Familiar instead of his little dragon buddy turning foe X into a Christmas Tree. I know its BS, but thats his rules.

And I chose Half-Elf because later, he was going to be a Half-Elf Half-Drow.

AND he just banned LM for undead templates (Namely: Necropolitan)

so how would one make a Dragon-Fanatic Arcanist?

jiriku
2010-01-07, 05:48 PM
Banned loremaster for undead templates...duh. Because of course, no one's ever heard of undead spellcasters amassing knowledge before (cough cough LICH cough cough).

Your class build looks good. Just make sure your build answers the following questions:

1) How will I deal lots of damage?
2) How will I stay alive if the bad guy also deals lots of damage?
3) How will I stay effective if the bad guy is also good at avoiding damage?
4) What am I good for if smashing heads isn't what's required?

AirGuitarGod32
2010-01-07, 06:02 PM
Banned loremaster for undead templates...duh. Because of course, no one's ever heard of undead spellcasters amassing knowledge before (cough cough LICH cough cough).

Your class build looks good. Just make sure your build answers the following questions:

1) How will I deal lots of damage?
2) How will I stay alive if the bad guy also deals lots of damage?
3) How will I stay effective if the bad guy is also good at avoiding damage?
4) What am I good for if smashing heads isn't what's required?

correction: he banned Libris Mortis

Optimystik
2010-01-08, 12:42 AM
And I chose Half-Elf because later, he was going to be a Half-Elf Half-Drow.

What? Elf + Elf = Elf, even if one of them is a Drow.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-08, 12:46 AM
Human + Elf = Half Elf
Human + Drow = Half Drow

Optimystik
2010-01-08, 12:49 AM
Human + Elf = Half Elf
Human + Drow = Half Drow

What I mean is, if he's half elf and half drow, where does human come in?

Sir Homeslice
2010-01-08, 01:23 AM
What I mean is, if he's half elf and half drow, where does human come in?

Maybe some sort of bizarre conjoined twin menage trois?