PDA

View Full Version : Knifeficer (Knife + Artificer)

Overshee
2010-01-10, 09:35 PM
I know there's a build for an archerficer, but how viable is a knife throwing artificer. Can you enhance throwing knives in bundles? The main reason I want to do this is for iaijutsu focus, it's a lot easier to throw a hidden knife every turn than a hidden bow...

What are your thoughts?
Overshee

FishAreWet
2010-01-10, 09:37 PM
Iajutsu is melee only

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-10, 09:38 PM
It's ambiguous, by RAW. You draw a melee weapon (a knife), and then make an attack with it. OA does not specify what the attack type has to be.

Boci
2010-01-10, 09:40 PM
It's ambiguous, by RAW. You draw a melee weapon (a knife), and then make an attack with it. OA does not specify what the attack type has to be.

Would throwing stars work?

FishAreWet
2010-01-10, 09:42 PM

Really? I stand corrected.

That means that ANYTHING can be drawn because anything can be used as a melee weapon, you just take improvised weapon penalties.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-10, 09:44 PM
There is a specific table in the PHB for "melee weapon". Improvised weapons aren't on it.
But since Iaijutsu doesn't state you have to use the weapon you drew to make the attack, you're correct.

This is RAWtarded anyway. The details of Iaijutsu Focus are not for us to decide. That's the OP's GM's job.

Overshee
2010-01-10, 09:45 PM
So it seems it's a yes on being able to use knives. I suppose I could craft a bunch of returning knives so I wouldn't run out. I still wouldn't be able to use my infusions on them as a whole, which is a bummer...

Boci
2010-01-10, 09:47 PM
Maybe develop a sheath that produces an infinate amount of +1 daggers, but each one only lasts for 1 round? Then which quick draw you should be set. The only problem would be pricing the dam thing.

olentu
2010-01-10, 09:49 PM
Maybe develop a sheath that produces an infinate amount of +1 daggers, but each one only lasts for 1 round? Then which quick draw you should be set. The only problem would be pricing the dam thing.

Well I recall a glove that makes endless force javelins so one could start with that. Though I also recall something with a dagger but there were some limitations I can not remember at the moment.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-10, 09:50 PM
MIC p194 has Gloves of Endless Javelins. 7K gp, does that except with javelins. Talk with your GM to fiddle around with infusions and stuff.

olentu
2010-01-10, 09:58 PM
MIC p194 has Gloves of Endless Javelins. 7K gp, does that except with javelins. Talk with your GM to fiddle around with infusions and stuff.

Ah those are the ones I was remembering.

Overshee
2010-01-11, 01:23 AM
Would you guys recommend this OVER archeficer? Not sure what build I wanna do (melee, ranged, blaster...)...

Deth Muncher
2010-01-11, 01:55 AM
Nono, not any weapon. I specifically remember it only working with bladed weapons.

PS - Gnome Quickrazor: let's you draw it as a free action.

Kyrthain
2010-01-11, 04:29 PM
Also from MIC is Gauntlet of infinite blades. 6500 gp, you can create infinite daggers that last 3 rounds, and you have some daily charges to make the daggers get cool properties (+3, seeking, bane)

Bayar
2010-01-11, 05:29 PM
Better go with bow. Infuse the bow with something and the arrow with something else. Craft only one magic bow instead of several magic daggers. Shoot from a greater distance. Hell, the base damage of a bow is higher than that of a dagger. And there are several ways to shoot in melee without triggering AoO's.

Overshee
2010-01-14, 01:35 AM
Better go with bow. Infuse the bow with something and the arrow with something else. Craft only one magic bow instead of several magic daggers. Shoot from a greater distance. Hell, the base damage of a bow is higher than that of a dagger. And there are several ways to shoot in melee without triggering AoO's.

Knife was for iaijutsu focus for the extra damage that provides

Zaq
2010-01-14, 01:46 AM
I'm pretty sure that the Gauntlet of Infinite Blades requires a swift action to activate, which means that you only get one per round. If you want to make more than one attack per round (which you do, right? Right?), you'll need something else.

Overshee
2010-01-14, 02:11 AM
I'm still learning magic item creation rules, but would it be possible to craft a bandoleer that "minor creation"s x knives in the sheathes (also a place to store wands)?