PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Heaven's Goo (Creature)

DracoDei
2010-01-11, 02:27 PM
Started this for one of Vorpal Tribble's contests, but didn't get it finished (actually, it is missing rather a lot...)

Angelatinous Orb
Huge Outsider (Angel, Lawful, Good)
HD 25d10+275? (412 hp)
Speed 40 ft. (8 squares); Fly 100 ft (Good)
Init: -2 (-2 Dex)
AC 6; touch 6; flat-footed 6
(-2 Size, -2 Dex, ?Some Natural?)
BAB +25; Grp +50?
Attack Slam +36 melee (2d6+13)
Full-Attack 6 slams +36 melee (2d6+13)
Space 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks
Special Qualities Damage Reduction 15/Silver and Evil, S.R. 20
Saves Fort +21 Ref +10 Will +16
Abilities Str 37, Dex 6, Con 33, Int 14, Wis 15, Cha 12
Skills Concentration +X, Craft(Weapon Smith)? +X, Knowledge(History) +, Knowledge(The Planes) +, Knowledge(Religion) +30, Sense Motive +,
Feats (7) Cleave, Improved Grapple, Power Attack, Great Fortitude, Lightning Reflexes
Environment
Organization Solitary or Pair or strikeforce (1 plus CR X worth of other Angels (equal CR to what a Balor can summon))
Challenge Rating X
Treasure X gold; X gems; X art; X magical items
Alignment Always Lawful Good
Advancement by TYPE; Favored Class
Level Adjustment +X

This sphere of gleaming white protoplasm shot through with slightly red metallic-colored streaks is about 8 feet in diameter, and hangs in the air in much the same way that marble columns don't.

AKA "Gelatenous Sphere"?
Cold Iron Body (Su): An Angelatinous Orb's slam attacks count as magic, cold iron, good, and lawful for the purposes of penetrating damage reduction and regeneration.
Ooze-like Traits (Ex): Angelatinous Orbs are built much like oozes. This grants them several advantages: they are immune to critical hits, and precision based damage, and use d10s for racial hit-dice instead of d8s.

(Other qualities), Disease, Fear, Poison
Improved Grab(Ex):
Doesn't die until -60 HP.
Greater Spell Immunity: (Pick 6) Blashemy, Dominate Monster*, Implosion, Insanity, Fire-Storm, Power-Word Stun
Yes, it would possible to Dominate one of these in theory if they weren't specifically immune to it. One way for a single caster is a Quickened Greater Dispel magic with a good roll, followed by the Dominate Monster.
SLA's: At-Will - Dimensional Anchor, 2/day - Concecrate Caster level 25th
Fire Resistance 35.

DaTedinator
2010-01-11, 03:06 PM
...and hangs in the air in much the same way that marble columns don't.

:smallbiggrin:That sort of description always cracks me up, no exceptions.

Other than that, it seems... weird. What exactly, is it? As in, what role does it fulfill? Not monster role, but like, you compare them (indirectly) to Gelatinous Cubes, which are there to explain why gigantic deathtrap dungeons aren't littered with the bodies of past failed adventurers.

Basically, I think it would benefit more from finishing the flavor text first, rather than crunch.

Drolyt
2010-01-11, 03:37 PM
Crapload of hit points but no AC... the stats are really all over the board. Besides that I agree with the above. What is this for?

DracoDei
2010-01-11, 05:13 PM
Ah! Underlying fluff... right. I had that, just hadn't typed it up yet.
In game, the forces of Good created a creature specifically made to kill Balors. No decernable anatomy shuts down the standard Vorpal sword most of them weild... and I screwed up and got Balor's confused with Pit Fiends... these should have Cold Iron based attacks to by pass a Balor's DR((Fixed now)), and the spell immunities are matched to a Balor's most powerful SLAs. The Dimensional Anchor and flight speed keep the Balor from escaping. Fire Resistance counters flaming body and the whip (which they might take AoO's from), and dying at -60 means that if they have an ally to heal them afterwards, they can take the Balor's death-throws.

From a meta-game perspective it started out as a "Hmmm... need to make an Angel for this contest... what is something I can do to set it appart? Well, insectile celestials have been done... what about an ooze?". After that I figured out about oozes being a good choice to kill a Pit Fiend Balor, so I built it around that.

The low AC is due to the ooze like nature (low dex... actual oozes generally have a 1 for Dex, and no NA). The HD are there put it enough ahead of the Balor's 20 HD to slug it out and win even with the low AC.

Drolyt
2010-01-11, 05:19 PM
Ah! Underlying fluff... right. I had that, just hadn't typed it up yet.
In game, the forces of Good created a creature specifically made to kill Balors. No decernable anatomy shuts down the standard Vorpal sword most of them weild... and I screwed up and got Balor's confused with Pit Fiends... these should have Cold Iron based attacks ((Fixed now))... anyway, they are SUPPOSED to have natural attacks that can bypass a Balor's DR, and the spell immunities are matched to a Balor's most powerful SLAs. The Dimensional Anchor and flight speed keep the Balor from escaping.

From a meta-game perspective it started out as a "Hmmm... need to make an Angel for this contest... what is something I can do to set it appart? Well, insectile celestials have been done... what about an ooze?". After that I figured out about oozes being a good choice to kill a Pit Fiend Balor, so I built it around that.

The low AC is due to the ooze like nature (low dex... actual oozes generally have a 1 for Dex, and no NA). The HD are there put it enough ahead of the Balor's 20 HD to slug it out and win even with the low AC.

Ah, in that case I like it, although maybe it should be mindless, perhaps under the control of a powerful Archon or Angel? In most games non-deities (and sometimes not even deities) cannot create sentient creatures.

DracoDei
2010-01-11, 05:23 PM
Ah, in that case I like it, although maybe it should be mindless, perhaps under the control of a powerful Archon or Angel? In most games non-deities (and sometimes not even deities) cannot create sentient creatures.
They were created by a deity, dieties, or a team of epic level clerics.

Drolyt
2010-01-11, 05:29 PM
They were created by a deity, dieties, or a team of epic level clerics.

Oh. I thought that you meant they were made by good outsiders. Maybe epic level clerics, but in my games I prefer to keep the creation of sentient creatures out of mortal hands (and in at least one game I made the birth of mortals a mystery to the Gods, who created the world but had no intention of creating sentient inhabitants), but to each his own.

DaTedinator
2010-01-11, 05:35 PM
It's your creature so do what you like, but I kind of like the idea of it being mindless and needing an angel with the specific task of giving it orders. Otherwise, fluff sounds spiffy enough. I'll be watching it develop.

DracoDei
2010-01-11, 05:39 PM
It's your creature so do what you like, but I kind of like the idea of it being mindless and needing an angel with the specific task of giving it orders.

Eh, probably easy enough for me to make a second version of it for people who prefer that... people could then pick what they like best, or even call one the prototype and the other the final version (if the intellegent version was the prototype it could be a matter of Pelor (or whoever) saying "Yeah, it is cool and all, but the whole 'not being able to grant my clerics spells for 6 months while I work on making one? Not so much...'" and going to something easier).