PDA

View Full Version : D&D Nuke

taltamir
2010-01-11, 07:29 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/explosiverunes.htm

it is just a ranged touch attack to throw a book at a square, on a miss you hit an adjacent square.
wizard/cleric delays action until after fighter.
fighter throws book with hundreds of explosive runes at the dragon.
wizard or cleric casts dispel on it... from a scroll to ensure minimum level and maximum failure rate (if the wizard is casting, another wizard had to have cast those explosive runes, you auto succeed dispelling your own spells).

Result? instagib :)

If you really want to get ridiculous with it, you can have a level 20 wizard with CL increases cast the explosive runes to ensure max disparity between caster levels (resulting in all the runes going off)... maybe a contingency (craft contingent spell feat) on the book (animate it if needed; or use something other then a book, say, an undead rat) to have it cast the min CL dispel magic.

best of all, the entire thing is entirely free.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-11, 07:29 PM
If it doesn't irradiate the surrounding area it's not a nuke. :smallfrown:

taltamir
2010-01-11, 07:31 PM

pack some plutonium with it? ;p

yea I know it is not an actual "nuclear" weapon... it was just a figure of speech... it is a big boom though.
even if you assume a limit of 1 explosive runes per page of the book (and there is no need to since you can have it there alongside the actual spell), you still have 100 pages + front cover + back cover for a total of 612d6 damage at a 10 foot radius.

Longcat
Technically, if you only need to hit the square, then it's a flat DC 10.

Swordgleam
In the lich thread, people were talking about using bones as spellbooks.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

An army of walking nuke skeletons.

taltamir
2010-01-11, 07:33 PM

awesome... and you can actually order them to find the target and activate.

jmbrown
2010-01-11, 07:34 PM

There's already a feat for it in Libris Mortis (I forget the name but undead you create explode upon death causing something like d6 points of damage per HD). I brought up in that one thread about animate undead why it's a bad idea to have skeletons and zombies with more than 20HD.

Not only do you have an army of fighting skeletons, they also violently explode when they're destroyed. You just doubled their effectiveness.

JaronK
2010-01-11, 07:35 PM
Done this. Works great with Destructive Retribution, too. See if your DM counts blowing up the paper as a failed erasure attempt (if he doesn't he's just allowed you to disarm all symbols and runes by just destroying them at range, if he does then the death of the skeleton destroys the paper full of runes inside the skull and blows up anyone near).

JaronK

UglyPanda
2010-01-11, 07:40 PM
It's been done. It's an old and slow trick.

taltamir
2010-01-11, 07:48 PM
It's been done. It's an old and slow trick.

what do you mean by "slow trick"?

ShippoWildheart
2010-01-11, 07:49 PM

Give each the command to say "Dood" when they explode, and it will be glorious.

taltamir
2010-01-11, 07:53 PM
ok so... what other free (or cheap) permanent until discharged spells can you abuse in such a manner?

this "bomb" thing is a great way to disarm the spell... looting enemy spellbooks was practically impossible because of this spell. (it is the worst offender of the permanent defenses). This turns the whole thing on its head. if a failed dispell attempt (cast from outside the blast radius) triggers it, then it can be used as an effective weapon. If it doesn't trigger it, then just cast dispel on the book without openining it every day for a week before trying to open it.

Give each the command to say "Dood" when they explode, and it will be glorious.

DOOD! DOOD! hah...

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-11, 07:54 PM
Will physical damage set off a E-rune? In what way will Dispel effect E-rune?

These are needed answers.

Also I thought I saw a handbook on this, but I can't find it now.

Gamerlord
2010-01-11, 07:54 PM

Some sort of metamagic that does CON damage?

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-11, 07:56 PM
Some sort of metamagic that does CON damage?

Better yet, Fell Drain Magic Runes!

deuxhero
2010-01-11, 07:56 PM
You can purposefully fail at dispel you know (and it's a known trick, though most uses I've seen decide to make a bag of them and throw them at a wall and use it as a high explosive.)

taltamir
2010-01-11, 07:57 PM
Will physical damage set off a E-rune? In what way will Dispel effect E-rune?

These are needed answers.

Also I thought I saw a handbook on this, but I can't find it now.

to the second part of the question. A dispel with have an opposed caster check to attempt dispelling it. A success will harmlessly remove the runes, a failure will cause them to explode.

You can purposefully fail at dispel you know (and it's a known trick, though most uses I've seen decide to make a bag of them and throw them at a wall and use it as a high explosive.)

and now we know how the excavate tunnels in tippyverse. This stuff is even better then TNT

Dragero
2010-01-11, 07:58 PM
Problem is, sombody would have to read what you wrote on your skeleton.

taltamir
2010-01-11, 07:59 PM
Problem is, sombody would have to read what you wrote on your skeleton.

continent dispell magic will trigger the runes. also depends on whether your DM rules that damage triggers runes (its a win win for you when you force such a ruling, either you get zombie bombs, or you get to safely disarm all the magic traps on enemy spellbooks you loot)

Swordgleam
2010-01-11, 08:01 PM
Might be fun to have a party whose primary combat strategy is skeleton nukes.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-11, 08:07 PM
Honestly, I MUST make a sorc that does this. If damage will set them off, then put them on arrows and Alchemy items.

Right after I finish my Spryte Hellfire Tricklock and Harpoon Cloistered Swift hunter catfolk. And half min. Grey dwarf grappler. And my Familiarist.

Damn I have a bunch of builds to make :frown:

deuxhero
2010-01-11, 08:07 PM
and now we know how the excavate tunnels in tippyverse. This stuff is even better then TNT

I thought the Tippyverse used purpose built spells, like scupt stone or something.

taltamir
2010-01-11, 08:10 PM
Honestly, I MUST make a sorc that does this. If damage will set them off, then put them on arrows and Alchemy items.

Right after I finish my Spryte Hellfire Tricklock and Harpoon Cloistered Swift hunter catfolk. And half min. Grey dwarf grappler. And my Familiarist.

care to elaborate a little about those builds? especially the familiarist?
no need for a full build, just a few general notes and ideas about them

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-11, 08:24 PM

Spryte Hellfire Tricklock -Use the tricklock build, but replace Spryte (Arcana Unearthed) with the Asimar to get into it. Top off with Hellfire Warlock and a binder level. No wasted invocations on flight or invisibility. Use Unearthed Arcana Expert.

Harpoon Cloistered Swift hunter catfolk. -Take a catfolk Scout/Ranger. Dip a level of cloistered Cleric for Knowledge and travel domains. Now give it some harpoons.

half min. Grey dwarf grappler. -Half minotaur Lesser Grey Dwarf. Get to huge size by yourself and grapple the hell out of things. Take feats to taste (I prefer Frostrager PrC with this)

And my Familiarist.- Abuse Extra Familiar feat (take it several times) to get a bunch of familiars. Psychic Reformation all those free Alertness Feats into something useful. Currently looking for decent PrCs to pull this off. (I've only found two 3rd party PrCs that deal with familiars and one good home brew.)

Also Got a Spider riding Jungle Halfling in the works. Uses the Watch spider and goes into PrC Ranger.

And a aberration Wildshape Ranger using Daggerspell Shaper.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-11, 08:35 PM
Major creation: Uranium 235. Unlike the antimatter version, you can actually hold the chip of the material component, without the RAW wrangling of saying that antimatter would qualify as a eschew materials, since it has no listed cost.
It would still likely kill you though.
Eat Physics, Catgirls!:smallamused:

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-11, 08:45 PM
Oooh! Make a book nuke, but use the rules for an all metal book, now have that metal be (The pages) Thinaun from Comp. Warrior. And the covers be Pandemonic Silver.

You throw the book, it shrieks (the silver) and makes things within 30 feet cower, then when it goes off aanything killed gets it's soul trapped in one of the pages!

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-11, 09:11 PM
What spells would best assist this I wonder. Launch item for sure, others?

Narazil
2010-01-11, 09:13 PM
Oooh! Make a book nuke, but use the rules for an all metal book, now have that metal be (The pages) Thinaun from Comp. Warrior. And the covers be Pandemonic Silver.

You throw the book, it shrieks (the silver) and makes things within 30 feet cower, then when it goes off aanything killed gets it's soul trapped in one of the pages!
Wouldn't it require the book to touch whatever is being killed?

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-11, 09:16 PM
Wouldn't it require the book to touch whatever is being killed?

No, but the book would have to be able to deal slashing or piercing damage and the effect would happen when it was unsheathed in a light wind. Not too hard to do I guess.

taltamir
2010-01-11, 09:22 PM
Major creation: Uranium 235. Unlike the antimatter version, you can actually hold the chip of the material component, without the RAW wrangling of saying that antimatter would qualify as a eschew materials, since it has no listed cost.
It would still likely kill you though.
Eat Physics, Catgirls!:smallamused:

permanent major creation uranium 235 :)
an actual nuke is actually easier to build in DnD world than IRL

AshDesert
2010-01-11, 09:25 PM

An aside: one of the most hilarious moments in my entire career was when I bluffed one of my first adventuring parties and our antagonist into thinking that I was a wizard, lugging around a huge spellbook and all, filled with runes. When he separated me from the spellbook after a long fight during which all my spells had been exhausted, he made the mistake of allowing me to rest for a night before coming in to wave the captured spellbook in my face and taunt me about it. Needless to say, the Empowered Magic Missile I delivered to his face came as a complete surprise.

I imagine he would be even more surprised if, instead of a Magic Missile, he was hit with 600d6 of Force damage:smallamused:.

Copacetic
2010-01-11, 09:42 PM

You'd be surprised how easy magic makes things.

Dragero
2010-01-11, 09:48 PM
continent dispell magic will trigger the runes. also depends on whether your DM rules that damage triggers runes (its a win win for you when you force such a ruling, either you get zombie bombs, or you get to safely disarm all the magic traps on enemy spellbooks you loot)

Ohh sorry my mistake!

Harry potter scene using runes:

"Here a b-day card aunt petunia!"
"Thanks, whats this? I prepared explosive ru-"

::BOOOOOOOOOOOOM::

Ravens_cry
2010-01-11, 09:50 PM
permanent major creation uranium 235 :)
Two words. Critical. Mass. A suicidal magic user could just do it. Six seconds is long enough.
But if you made it in small enough discrete quantities, and you don't want to die, you can do it that way. Now you got to construct an actual bomb though.
I recommend the gun type (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-type_fission_weapon). Extremely simple and could be constructed by a medieval society with access to gunpowder and clock work.

taltamir
2010-01-11, 09:51 PM
I imagine he would be even more surprised if, instead of a Magic Missile, he was hit with 600d6 of Force damage:smallamused:.

I have seriously wanted to play a sorcerer who lugs around a trapped book, has eschew materials yet carries a materials pouch (he choses to use the materials when casting spells usually), and has still and silent spell...

also considered making a wizard with eidetic caster (no need for book) and still spell + easy metamagic; who goes around wearing chainmail and wielding a halbard and tells people he is a fighter. Also with invisible spell and the "spell thematic" feat with the theme being "cuss words". (so the guard is seen to just be cussing, nobody realizes he is casting invisible spells)

taltamir
2010-01-11, 09:57 PM
Two words. Critical. Mass. A suicidal magic user could just do it. Six seconds is long enough.
But if you made it in small enough discrete quantities, and you don't want to die, you can do it that way. Now you got to construct an actual bomb though.
I recommend the gun type (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-type_fission_weapon). Extremely simple and could be constructed by a medieval society with access to gunpowder and clock work.
awesome idea... i didn't think about critical mass...
You can make it better though with two more words: shrink. item.
it can shrink an actual burning fire, it remains frozen (as in stasis) until unshrunk (happens automatically when duration of days per CL expires)...

Ravens_cry
2010-01-11, 10:29 PM
awesome idea... i didn't think about critical mass...
You can make it better though with two more words: shrink. item.
it can shrink an actual burning fire, it remains frozen (as in stasis) until unshrunk (happens automatically when duration of days per CL expires)...
And it can be made permanent, so you can stockpile the things. A bunch of little cloth silvery discs , just waiting to be dispelled.

Shardan
2010-01-11, 10:38 PM
I' had a mage/thief in 2e use pick pockets roll to hide his use of material components, ventriliquism to use verbal components without being obvious, and usually hid his somatic components under his cloak or behind the fighter.. (or hidden in shadows)

As far as free built up explosions, I mentioned fire trap before (I had an athasian Fire cleric fire trap his own mouth before sleeping. because of a boon from being a fire cleric the spell wouldn't affect him or his belongings but it sure made it dangerous to disturb him)

golentan
2010-01-11, 10:41 PM
Here's the problem. If you have a clever boss, what's the first thing they do when the party busts in? Debuff, by a Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel, or Disjunction on the area. You really, really don't want to be carrying this when that happens.

I'd describe it more as thermite than a nuke. Small scale but massively damaging.

taltamir
2010-01-11, 11:00 PM
Here's the problem. If you have a clever boss, what's the first thing they do when the party busts in? Debuff, by a Dispel Magic, Greater Dispel, or Disjunction on the area. You really, really don't want to be carrying this when that happens.

I'd describe it more as thermite than a nuke. Small scale but massively damaging.

Order a zombie with a major image to make it look like the party to go through the door and teleport away before it actually goes in the room...
it will be a big enough boom to take out the enemy.

D Knight
2010-01-12, 10:26 AM
if you do not want undead have an artificer build some 1/4 hd bug constructs that you build the nuke into at size medium. then use shrink item to well shrink the bug now release swarms into said town/dungeon that you wish to destroy. you have now leveled the place and killed any one or thing in there.

P.S. tucker's kobalts are now dead beyond belief.

Vortling
2010-01-12, 11:50 AM

If your party is filled with good characters, Purify Spell. Now your explosive runes only damage evils and neutrals. Could be annoying if your DM suddenly decides to throw lots of neutral creatures at you, or misdirected good creatures, but you don't have to worry about the damage if someone else dispels you. It also means you don't have to worry about throwing the book to get out of the blast radius, just move within range and dispel on the book you're holding.

taltamir
2010-01-12, 11:52 AM
If your party is filled with good characters, Purify Spell. Now your explosive runes only damage evils and neutrals. Could be annoying if your DM suddenly decides to throw lots of neutral creatures at you, or misdirected good creatures, but you don't have to worry about the damage if someone else dispels you. It also means you don't have to worry about throwing the book to get out of the blast radius, just move within range and dispel on the book you're holding.

this just took it to a whole new level :)

Justin B.
2010-01-12, 12:11 PM
The real D&D nuke is the Locate City Bomb. If you like cheesy, impractical and total ridiculous magical tricks, maybe one of the other forum vets will come by and explain it to you if you ask.

Explosive Runes book is nothing compared to the destruction and havok the Locate City Bomb can wreck.

J.Gellert
2010-01-12, 12:29 PM
The problem is that once this goes off, there won't be much left from your enemies - so you won't immediately have new skeletons to animate! :smallbiggrin:

ex cathedra
2010-01-12, 12:33 PM
Most forms of the LCB just don't work.

Also, this is both old and on shaky ground. It's also a waste of actions. Yeah, you can do some damage. You waste resources, time, and effort doing so in this manner, and it's not helpfully more effective than other means. It can be a cute trick, given a lenient DM, but it's rather limited in scope.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-12, 01:06 PM

There are ways around this. I use all of them on my wizard that actually carries one of these.

1. Ring of Counterspells(Dispel Magic). Swap for Greater Dispel as appropriate.

2. Limit the amount of explosive runes to an amount that will not kill you.

3. Use excessive amounts of Fire Traps. Wear enough Fire Resist to ignore it.

4. Use Symbols or a permanencied Sepia Snake Sigil.

Thus, it remains horrifically lethal to most people, pretty damaging to all, is unlikely to go boom on you, and even if it does, isn't an instagib.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-12, 01:07 PM
The real D&D nuke is the Locate City Bomb. If you like cheesy, impractical and total ridiculous magical tricks, maybe one of the other forum vets will come by and explain it to you if you ask.

Explosive Runes book is nothing compared to the destruction and havok the Locate City Bomb can wreck.

Locate City Bomb also doesn't actually work.

There are a number of RAW reasons why this is so...yknow, I think Im going to blog about why not, so I can just link the discussion every time.

pffh
2010-01-12, 01:41 PM
How large is an explosive rune? We need to know how many we can fit on one page.

2xMachina
2010-01-12, 01:42 PM
Isn't a rune like a letter? No reason we can't have font size 1 runes.

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-12, 01:58 PM
Has no one mentioned the barrel of DBF covered in Quintessence?

pffh
2010-01-12, 02:00 PM
Isn't a rune like a letter? No reason we can't have font size 1 runes.

Well how small can a medium sized wizard write, not that small I guess (unless he changes into something smaller and has a really small pencil) so shall we say 1500 runes per page.

Yeah you don't need a book you need a single page wrapped around a rock.

golentan
2010-01-12, 02:01 PM
Of course, the really crazy things you can do with fonts as a RAW abuse mostly hinge on one line.

Anyone next to the runes (close enough to read them) takes the full damage with no saving throw;

Paint them on a mountain at night, hollywood letters style. When the sun comes up, that city is doomed.

2xMachina
2010-01-12, 02:06 PM
Makes sense really. Is something this small hits like 2, 3 feet, something that big would hit very far.

Thought that line also limits how small it can be...

Or, if you don't care for the reflex save given, make it extremely small, and everyone in 10 feet need to save anyway (no full damage without save though)

Kyrthain
2010-01-12, 03:47 PM
My friend bought an eternal wand of explosive runes just so he can do this.

golentan
2010-01-12, 03:54 PM
Makes sense really. Is something this small hits like 2, 3 feet, something that big would hit very far.

Thought that line also limits how small it can be...

Or, if you don't care for the reflex save given, make it extremely small, and everyone in 10 feet need to save anyway (no full damage without save though)

The problem is that creatures within 10 feet are entitled to a reflex save. Everything else (like within a 10 mile blast radius) isn't. It's a much better nuke than the locate city bomb, being rules legal and all. And only one person has to read it to set it off (the wording specifies "close enough to read it" takes damage, not "actually reads it." Though in any game where people get sufficiently anal to argue this the DM can at least smack it down by having everyone make spot checks, since as we all know it's impossible to see anything no matter how large at more than a couple hundred feet away.

Stompy
2010-01-12, 04:32 PM
Has no one mentioned the barrel of DBF covered in Quintessence?

I don't believe so. Please enlighten me. (I want to see Quintessence used somewhere. :smallsmile:)

Also, polymorph into a uranium elemental. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0423.html)

EDIT:
Paint them on a mountain at night, hollywood letters style. When the sun comes up, that city is doomed.

Target: One touched object weighing no more than 10 lb.

You need a lightweight but still somewhat sturdy banner on a mountain to do this. Although I still think the "logic" behind this plan still works.

Ravens_cry
2010-01-12, 04:58 PM
Also, polymorph into a uranium elemental. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0423.html)
Wouldn't work as you need to be a fissile isotope of Uranium. Natural uranium almost entirely Uranium 238. And that's ignoring that that's not how the default elemental cosmology works in D&D.

You need a lightweight but still somewhat sturdy banner on a mountain to do this. Although I still think the "logic" behind this plan still works.
Put it on a moon or a banner in orbit. Pounds are a unit of weight, not mass.

golentan
2010-01-12, 05:29 PM

Well. Paper (as listed) has 0 weight. Plus there's got to be some weight reducing spell somewhere, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

As for the the DBF Quintessence combo, you get a big barrel. You cast Delayed Blast Fireball as an explosive spell, and put the fireball bead in the quintessence. It now won't explode until the quintessence is removed. Repeat, as many times as you can keep fitting frozen fireballs in the barrel. Your trigger is another DBF, which you don't freeze. It goes off, throwing the other beads and burning off the quintessence. These in turn go off, over time, throwing the beads which haven't yet blasted, and so on and so forth until you run out of fireballs.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure it has a much more limited range than most other nukes. Fortunately, it's damaging enough that we don't need to care.

tyckspoon
2010-01-12, 05:46 PM
I don't believe so. Please enlighten me. (I want to see Quintessence used somewhere. :smallsmile:)

Pretty simple. Delayed Blast Fireball creates a physical object that explodes up to 5 rounds later. Quintessence takes things out of time, stopping the timers on whatever it covers.. like the bead created by a Delayed Blast Fireball, which will not go off as long as it is in the Quintessence. So you take a barrel full of Quintessence, you spend a few days/weeks/whatever stuffing it full of Delayed Blast Fireballs, and then you load it into a catapult and throw it at whatever you want to kill.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-12, 05:52 PM
Put it on a moon or a banner in orbit. Pounds are a unit of weight, not mass.

International pounds, as defined by the US and Commonwealth of Nations, are exactly 453.59237 grams each, and are therefore units of mass.

2xMachina
2010-01-13, 12:26 AM
It could also mean Pound-force, which is not mass, but weight.

Anyway, you can stick it on thin paper, then glued to a board to give it stiffness. Then Nailed-to-the-sky. Orbiting explosive.

It's a bird. No, it's a satellite. No, it's EXPLOSIVE RUNES!

(Wonder why no wizards made satellites yet. Nailed-to-the-sky is just perfect for it. Instant launch to orbit.)

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-13, 12:30 AM
We need to find a cheap way to animate the paper and have it read itself!

Radar
2010-01-13, 05:11 AM
Anyone tought about "If you can read this, you are too close." as the falvor text for Explosive Runes? :smallbiggrin:

Wouldn't Arcane Eye or such be enough to trigger the Runes?

Slayn82
2010-01-13, 10:34 AM
Hey, what if you cast a bunch of explosive runes on a piece of paper, and then get a cleric to cast Spell Immunity (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Spell_Immunity) at you, or someone else who can read. Then, the person takes the piece of paper and goes around reading a bunch of "a", each one an explosive rune, without taking any damage. Best weapon ever?:smallbiggrin:

a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1sS1TmXF38)

Radar
2010-01-13, 01:51 PM
Hey, what if you cast a bunch of explosive runes on a piece of paper, and then get a cleric to cast Spell Immunity (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Spell_Immunity) at you, or someone else who can read. Then, the person takes the piece of paper and goes around reading a bunch of "a", each one an explosive rune, without taking any damage. Best weapon ever?:smallbiggrin:

a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1sS1TmXF38)
More like World's Smallest Nuclear Explosion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhbGaP8SfsA) (around 2:00). :smallbiggrin: