PDA

View Full Version : Wanna know how I got these scars?

Serpentine
2010-01-11, 10:08 PM
Show off your scars here! Show pictures if you have 'em, tell stories, etc. Any friends or family members have impressive ones?

From the You thread:
One on my calf from a broken branch when climbing a tree. One on my ankle from shaving (my family had a go at me for taking too long in the shower. I was trying not to bleed everywhere ). A few pale ones on my upper thigh from swimming over some oysters. One on my thumb above my nail the wound of which I remember looking at and thinking it might scar but can't remember what caused it. One on my finger from when I pushed down on a piece of glass. Maybe one on my face, but it could just be a mark of some sort.
Think they're the main ones... Now, if you want to see a real scar, you should see my cousin. He had most of his calf almost torn off his leg by a ute bumper. He tells people it was a shark.
Now, I worked out how big it is... Put your hand behind your left knee, and find the left tendon that goes down behind. It starts there. Trace your finger around in a spiral down the leg, starting to the right, so it ends up on the left side of the shin a couple of inches above the ankle. That's how big this scar is.
A friend of mine wants to shave her head for charity, but is worried that it'll jeopardise her job. See, she has hydrocephalus, and as a result has minor brain damage and a map of scars on her skull. She works as a counsellor and carer, and apparently the parents of disabled people zero in on any suggestion that a carer might not be up to their job. Sinister head-scars bring to mind all the worst sorts of ideas...

Mauve Shirt
2010-01-11, 10:10 PM
Oh, over here now. Brain surgery scar.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/h0wupdohighknee/Scar.jpg

Serpentine
2010-01-11, 10:11 PM
Also from over there: What from/for?

Mauve Shirt
2010-01-11, 10:12 PM
Temporal lobectomy + hippocampus and amygdala, 2005. For fixing the epilepsy. They left a piece of the hippocampus in there and may have to go back in, sadly.

SurlySeraph
2010-01-11, 10:35 PM
I can't compare to that and I can't get a good picture, so here's a crappy webcam picture of an underwhelming scar.

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/934/thumbscar.jpg

That's my thumb scar. No interesting story, unfortunately; I've had it for as long as I can remember. My mother tells me I got it when I was in neonatal intensive care, from the doctors putting the needle for some kind of monitoring device in there. Scars stretch as you grow older, and it is now quite a bit longer than my newborn thumb was.

Phlale
2010-01-11, 11:02 PM
Another underwhelming one, though I at least have a story to tell, as it was told to me.

I was three, and my parents, brother and I were going to Sunday dinner at my grandparents. My dad told me to "run out to the car", so I did, until I got to the storm door. You know, the ones with the sliding windows that go up? I couldn't open it, so I pushed on the screen and the window came down, removing the tip of my middle finger, and scarring the ring finger, on my left hand. We missed dinner...

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-01-11, 11:22 PM
I don't have any pictures and don't want to shave my head to be able to photograph it, but I do have a scar on the back of my head about 2 inches long. I got it in 1st grade, so about 13 years ago, when my family and I were out at dinner with some friends. The kids were waiting outside while the adults were paying, and since we were bored, some of the kids were running around playing tag or something, I don't remember exactly what it was.

Anyway, the restaurant had a roof extending over the sidewalk in front, held up by large I-beams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-beam). As we were leaving, one of the other kids running around bumped into me at full speed and slammed my head into the rather sharp beam. I was bleeding like crazy, everyone was freaking out, and they had to staunch the blood with a handful of paper napkins from the restaurant while they drove me to the hospital. Fun times.

Starfols
2010-01-12, 01:45 AM
I've got a pair of reasonably impressive scars on my torso, but what's more noticeable (at least to me) is my right ring finger, it's all.. bendy. I got surgery on something completely unrelated, and ever since it just hasn't worked the same.

Silverraptor
2010-01-12, 02:02 AM
I got a couple of stories.

1) I don't remember this at all, but you'll be the judge of why. Apparently I was two, and my parents were ignoring me at the dinner table in favor of a football game between their two teams playing against each other. Anyways, I start rocking and I fell out of my high chair. I have a half an inch long, 1/8th of an inch wide scar on the right side of my upper head where no hair grows what-so-ever because of it. Atleast they were paying attention to me then to take me to the hospital.:smallannoyed:

2) This one is more recent. I had just come back from working at a summer camp last summer. Before I was suppose to go off to college, I was hanging around my house. My dad and sister invite me to go for a swim in our pool, so I accept. We have fun, until it starts getting dark. My sister and I get the the diving board at the same time. I decide to go after her so I start to step down. At that *Exact* moment, my sister decides to push me into the pool. So what ends up happening is my right foot lands hard on the sharp edge of the bricks surrounding the pool and cuts it open. When I finally manage to crawl out, the pool was entirely red. You can bet how scared I was about the amount of blood I might've lost. They had to empty the entire pool with bleach a couple times to get out all the stains and now I have a white line on the bottom of my right foot. I'm glad we didn't have any sharks in our pool.:smalleek:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 02:12 AM
I've got a zigzag scar across my scalp from brain surgery.

Before anybody asks, I had a brain tumor. This happened about 8 years ago I believe.

Serpentine
2010-01-12, 02:22 AM
All fixed now? By the way, your avi's the wrong dimensions <.<
My baby nephew has a big scar. I assume it'll stay forever. From major surgery when he was a couple of weeks old.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-01-12, 02:42 AM
My baby nephew has a big scar. I assume it'll stay forever. From major surgery when he was a couple of weeks old.

It probably won't. I had some major surgery for some intestinal issues when I was a few weeks old*; while I've seen pictures of the scars that I carried for a while thereafter, there's not a trace of them on me now, and they were very faint at the most as far back as I can remember.

*I never got the full details from my parents, but apparently things were poking out of my intestinal lining and trying to pull an Alien...? Eeeew.

Extra_Crispy
2010-01-12, 05:45 AM
Everytime someone makes a thread about scars, I try to decide if I should rewrite the few pages that I would need to describe all my scars. So this time I think I will not rewrite that book and will just cover general areas and over all amount.

From a car accident and that involved a 140K volt power line and a crushed gas tank. 70+% burns with 40-45% 3rd degree.

1. Left leg from just below the knee down to ankle, then across the top of the foot to the little toe. All 3rd degree, deep scar
2. Backs of both legs from just below the butt to just above my knee and the complete width of the back of my leg. 3rd degree, Deep scars
3. Left side from hip, up through underarm, and down the inside of my left arm to the wrist, around the forearm, and across the back of the hand to the left thumb. All 3rd degree, various deepness and thickness of scar. Left thumb is about 1/2 inch shorter than the other and has no fingernail.
4. If you passed a horizontal plane through my chest at/about 2 inches below my clavical all the way through to my back, everything above that to my hair line in the back and just above my adams apple in front. 2nd-3rd degree with various deepness from superficial to very deep.
5. Right inner arm from mid bicep area but on the inside of the arm down to mid forearm and extending into a surgical scar down to the palm. Deep 2nd degree with a small patch of 3rd degree.
6. Various "donor site" scars on back, right arm, thighs, butt, lower left leg. They look much like a good 2nd degree scar but usually more rectangular with fairly straight edges.
7. Small scar on the back of my head from electricity exiting from the top that point.
8. Surgical scars on the sides of all the fingers on my left hand, and on the backs of both hands from fashiotomies (sp way way off).

I think that is about it. So do I win? :smallwink:

KuReshtin
2010-01-12, 05:51 AM
So do I win? :smallwink:

I believe so, yes.

Serpentine
2010-01-12, 05:59 AM
Smart-arse :smalltongue: You should just post a photo of yourself in your budgie-smugglers, that should do it :smallwink:

Eldan
2010-01-12, 06:10 AM
Two of them, both rather underwhelming:

My right knee: when I was about, oh, ten years old, we had a low table in our living room, only about 30 cm high, consisting of a glass plate on a metal frame. One day, when I was particularly bored, I found out that I could vault over it in one direction, since it was about 1m wide. So, after some deliberation and amazing stupidity, I decided to try it lengthwise. It was about twice as long in that direction.
Long story short: one shattered table and bent metal frame and, amazingly, me sitting in the middle of long, jagged pieces of glass with only a 3cm long cut on my right knee. My father came into the room just as I tried, and said that I had shattered the table with my knee first before going through it. I still have the scar, it's round and about 2x2cm.

The other one: I little, almost invisible white dot on the top of my right foot, nearly invisible, with a corresponding white dot on the sole. I stood on a long nail when helping renovate the old house my parents bought when I was about fifteen.

Extra_Crispy
2010-01-12, 07:51 AM
Smart-arse :smalltongue: You should just post a photo of yourself in your budgie-smugglers, that should do it :smallwink:

If you were talking to me, that picture would not be a pretty site. Scenes from old black and white monster movies comes to mind. Everyone running and screaming in terror. The boards would be a ghost town. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2010-01-12, 08:01 AM
I'm intrigued <.<

No, really. I'm curious to see. Is that bad?

Zom B
2010-01-12, 12:46 PM
I have a round scar on my left leg that is normally concave but will occasionaly (cut for grossness)fill with fluid and eventually rupture. It will leak clear fluid more or less continually for days, soaking my pants leg and sock, which dry stiff so I know it's not just water. Eventually it will scab over, form a scar, and the cycle begins anew.

I also have a long scar on my left knee from ACL reconstruction surgery, but that's kind of boring. Basically, the doctor cut the middle out of my kneecap tendon, drilled a hole at the top and bottom of my knee, ran the tendon strip through, and screwed it in place at either end with something like ceramic screws. They don't set off a metal detector or anything.

Oh! I almost always forget about this one. Apparently once when I was younger I almost cut the end of my nose off with scissors. Today there is a distinct horseshoe-shaped scar at the end of my nose where the tip was barely hanging on. The doctor said I came close to looking like Richard* Tracy for the rest of my life.

*swear filter won't let me use the shortened version.

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 12:55 PM
All fixed now? By the way, your avi's the wrong dimensions <.<

they had to leave about 1% of the tumor in because it could have killed me if they didn't but yeah it's all better. It hasn't bothered me in years and probably won't again but my doctor won't let me stop taking the medicine.

what are the Avi's proper dimension?

unless you weren't addressing me.:smallredface:

MethosH
2010-01-12, 12:56 PM
Oh, over here now. Brain surgery scar.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/h0wupdohighknee/Scar.jpg

If it wasn't for the fact that you had to do a brain surgery to get that scar I would be ashame of my scars.

But... I've got an hole in my leg that was caused by acid.

Mauve Shirt
2010-01-12, 01:25 PM
Oh also, my scar itches when the brain surgeon is particularly angry.

valadil
2010-01-12, 01:29 PM
No pics, but I have a nasty one on my left inner thigh. Some time in elementary school I fell off my bike and landed on my head. Yay helmets! Then the bike landed on me. The pedal cut a deep gash in my leg. 3" to the right and it would not have been the leg that got cut... Anyway, the cut was deep enough that there were 3 stitches inside and 13 outside. I'm still proud of myself for walking home on that.

blackfox
2010-01-12, 02:25 PM
I haven't had any major injuries that resulted in scarring--I tend to break bones rather than skin. Most of my superficial injuries do scar, though, if not for a long period of time. So right now, I've got a few cat scars/sister's fingernail scars on my forearms, a couple scrapes and stuff on my hands, a v-shaped scar on my left shin from smashing it on some rocks in the Pacific coast. Oh, and the one on my forehead from falling on the corner of a stone hearth when I was little. Used to be a point, now it's a line.

Jack Squat
2010-01-12, 02:56 PM
I've got nothing impressive. Extra skin buildup on my elbows and at least my thumb from various scuffles, little bit of a scar is left on my foot where a chunk was taken out of it about a decade and a half ago, left shin has a patch from a car accident, and there's a scar on my left palm, as well as the back of my right hand from a knife. I think that's it.

There's also some scrape marks on my arms, but I'm not really going to count those, as I don't really remember what they were from.

Serpentine
2010-01-12, 09:41 PM
they had to leave about 1% of the tumor in because it could have killed me if they didn't but yeah it's all better. It hasn't bothered me in years and probably won't again but my doctor won't let me stop taking the medicine.

what are the Avi's proper dimension?

unless you weren't addressing me.:smallredface:That's both weird and good. Hope it stays that way.
120x120
I was :smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-12, 10:02 PM
That better?

and yeah, I hope it stays like this as well. Actually I hope it just dies off on its own but that probably isn't going to happen.

and no I'm not posting pictures. For two reasons actually. One I don't have a camera, two I don't want anybody to know what my gender actually is.:smalltongue: although three or four posters actually know anyway.

TRM
2010-01-12, 10:41 PM
What is a... budgie-smuggler?

I have no exciting scars. I have a purple patch of skin on my knee that is from a huge biking accident cut, combined with poor shaving technique, but I doubt it is permanent.

Jokes
2010-01-12, 11:40 PM

Pic not for the faint of heart-
http://images.b105.com.au/2009/12/01/311152/395-Tony-Abbott.jpg

I'll leave it to your imagination as to how they get their name.

I have a scar on my elbow from when I tried to change a lightbulb while standing on a swivel chair. Another on my leg when I tried to kick a frisbee but instead hit a wooden railing. One on my eyebrow (which you can't see well because of my eyebrows :smallamused:) from when someone took the weights off one side of a barbell, which unbalanced it and slammed up into my face. None of them are particularly large, but they make funny stories.

Extra_Crispy
2010-01-13, 12:15 AM

I think she ment something to hide (smuggler) that certain part of a male anatomy (budgie). Basically just wear something small so the rest of my scars can be seen.

And serp, truethfully they are bad but I dont think they are THAT bad. I was very shy about them for a long time but now most of my friends have seen me with out a shirt so seen some of the worst scars. I will have to find a camera, I dont own one, and MAYBE post some pics

Teutonic Knight
2010-01-13, 01:28 AM
Wow. Nothing as serious, but when I was little-er, I ran into my brother and my glasses cut into my face. Now I have a small line scar under my eye, but it's barely visible.

Alarra
2010-01-13, 01:54 AM
Brain surgery scar.
That's far more impressive than my brain surgery scar, which oddly enough is about 4 inches long and on my right hip. (this is where I guess they had to pull cartilage out to fill the hole that removing the tumor made) For the actual brain surgery, they went in under my upper lip above the gums and behind the nose, so while there may be a scar there, I certainly can't see it.

I also have a scar across the bridge of my nose from when I was playing 'whale' in the bathtub when I was four. I came up underneath the faucet and split my nose open on it.

Serpentine
2010-01-13, 07:26 AM
I think she ment something to hide (smuggler) that certain part of a male anatomy (budgie). Basically just wear something small so the rest of my scars can be seen.

And serp, truethfully they are bad but I dont think they are THAT bad. I was very shy about them for a long time but now most of my friends have seen me with out a shirt so seen some of the worst scars. I will have to find a camera, I dont own one, and MAYBE post some picsYes. And yay! Please do. Hey, you were doing nursing or something like that, weren't you? To work in burn wards? Where're you up to with that?

Extra_Crispy
2010-01-13, 07:48 AM
Yes I am a nurse. Wanted to work the burn unit at the hospital I am at (long story as to why not), but instead I am in ICU, loving it. Been an RN for 2 years now and trying to contemplate how to swing 150k in loans to go back to school and become a nurse anesthesitist. Have not worked with burns here but wounds galore.

Keshay
2010-01-13, 12:58 PM
These threads are always fun beacause they remind me of the scene in Jaws where the sea captain and Richard Dryfus are comparing scars. Roy Schneider considers mentioning his appendectomy scar, but thinks better of it.

My scars, in chronoligical order-

Forehead, 4th grade. Riding a park ride called "the log" i lost my grip and slammed my head into the unpadded rebar handle. 2-3 inch gash, mild cuncussion, slightly fractured skull. Worst part was how bad Dad felt for not stoping pushing/pulling when I asked him to stop. End result: there's now a barely visible line just above my eyebrow line, between the eyebrows.

Right lower leg, 13-14 yo. Fell/slid down a rocky slope while hiking out in Montanna, after a 50-75 foot slide I though I was unharmed untill I noticed the rip in my pants. Underneith there was a 7-8 inch gash with a sliver of stone still sticking out near my kneecap. Had to tourniquet it myself and hike the 2-3 miles back to the main camp (it might have been closer, and it just seemed really far away). Nearest hospital was still 45min-hour away so my uncle stitched it with fishing line. From the looks of my socks/shoes I'd have thought I'd have needed a blood transfusion, but I was ok. End result 11 inch scar still visible when I tan, though I do not tan often.

Left thumb, 15-16. My own stupid fault. A tree in our backyard ahd fallen on the garage, so me and my brothers were cutting it up. In taking off the smaller branches I held the trunk just below the limb I was cutting. Upon getting through the limb, the saw continued right through half my thumb, riping off chunks of skin and bone bits. Still have full function, the skin just looks ganarly. My brothers still joke I did it on purpose to get out of the rest of the job.

Left shoulder, college. Went to talk to a boyfriend of a friend who had been getting roughed up. He didn't like the advice to stay away from her so he busted a beer bottle and stabbed me with the jagged edge. Fortuantely the fight ended seconds later when my buddy the bouncer DDT'd him (I'm told it was awesome, but I was more concerned with the bottle stuck in my shoulder so I missed it. End result: needed surgery to repair some ligaments so I have only 60% range of motion, nice circle-pattern scars in my upper left chest/shoulder area. I still feel lucky no vessels were hit. (Addendum: the girl I took getting stabbed with a bottle for? Married her.)

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-13, 01:04 PM
I have a small scar on my left little finger (I won't bother with a photograph, it probably won't be visible anyway). I got it from accidentally dragging my finger through a car windscreen wiper (it went through the bit where the wiper and the arm connect. The entire endmost segment was completely eviscerated (about 3 separate cuts, one almost down to the bone, which was, as you might guess, the one which became the scar). After my mother stopped freaking out a piece of kitchen towel and some surgical tape made sure it healed OK.

Harbajar
2010-01-13, 03:46 PM
Ooooh scar talk! I have a facial scar as a result of a Blue Heeler (Australian Cattle dog) bite. The dog left my left cheek 'flapping'. The cheek part of the scar has faded over the years ( I was four at the time and I'm nearing 30 now) however the section under my chin is still clearly visible. No pics handy at the moment.

Serpentine
2010-01-13, 10:50 PM
Ouch. To pretty much everything, really.

My Boy has a scar on his face from getting bitten by a greyhound. Blue heeler's pretty easy to understand, they're often pretty nasty, but a greyhound?

Firestar27
2010-01-16, 08:03 PM
Temporal lobectomy + hippocampus and amygdala, 2005. For fixing the epilepsy. They left a piece of the hippocampus in there and may have to go back in, sadly.

Wouldn't that knock out your entire ability to hear anything, screw up your memory, and mess up some emotional reactions?
How do you even function?
(Although Wikipedia mentions none of these strangly-obvious-to-the-guy-with-no-medical-training problems...) :smalltongue:

RobotPerfomance
2010-01-18, 08:41 PM
I can't top some of the previous ones but I have two several inch long scars on my lower abdomen. From the surgery that removed my colon. (I will save you all from having to look at the pictures, my abs are not good looking with or with out scars)

Serpentine
2010-01-19, 02:57 AM
They messed witcha poop-pipe, eh?

<.<

I just wanted to say "poop-pipe" v.v

The Extinguisher
2010-01-19, 03:02 AM
My scar is pretty lame.

It's on my knee. One time, in like grade 1, I slipped on some gravel and tore up me knee. It was really deep and gross looking, but that's about it. Still have the scar.

Solaris
2010-01-19, 03:48 AM
These threads are always fun beacause they remind me of the scene in Jaws where the sea captain and Richard Dryfus are comparing scars. Roy Schneider considers mentioning his appendectomy scar, but thinks better of it.

Yeah, most any of mine are kinda lame compared to frikkin' brain surgery scars.

Dogmantra
2010-01-19, 03:51 AM
I have one scar next to my right eyebrow. I was four and tripped at a friend's birthday party. My head went straight onto a wooden step. That wasn't what caused it. The razor sharp spike of wood sticking up is what caused it. I was pretty lucky though, since if I had've fallen just an inch further, it would have gone straight into my eye.

Recaiden
2010-01-19, 07:07 AM
Well, I've got a scar on my finger from touching some broken metal 13 years ago. And a tiny fingerprintless section of the same finger where I cut a bit out while whittling.

Both accidental.

Coplantor
2010-01-21, 12:29 AM
I got two prominent scars, one in the top of my head, I think I got 4 stiches on that one, the doctor accidentally cut the skin in my head when I was born, bastard.
The other one is a rather large scar on my left arm, I slipped and bumped into a glass door, my arm went through ot and I got a nasty cut on it, I actually got to see the inside of my left arm for a second there, lots'a blood.

I'll post some picturres next weekend just for you:smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-01-21, 01:51 AM
Yeah, most any of mine are kinda lame compared to frikkin' brain surgery scars.

I am glad I and the others who had brain surgery were able to impress you.:smallcool:

Serpentine
2010-01-21, 02:01 AM
The aforementioned friend with hydracephalus is shaving her head for charity sometime soon. I'll see if I can get a photo.

Generic Archer
2010-01-21, 11:17 PM
For a full list check a previous incarnation of this thread.

New ones:
One down my right ring finger from Rock climbing.
I was climbing a fairly hard route, and was already tired. The way you protect yourself climbing is to clip your rope into slings on the rock. I finished the climb and was trying to clip the top sling and struggled with it.
I just managed to, meaning that I only fell a meter, not 4, but I dragged my hand down across the carabiner, and apparently it found a sharp corner, nice 2 cm line down my finger.

Dane

Groundhog
2010-01-21, 11:32 PM
Lessee...

Scar on forearm from when I burned myself on a bread pan.

Scar on tip of left middle finger from when a woodblock-carving tool sank into it.

Scar on lower knuckle of my left thumb from a nasty glue gun burn.

And that's about it.

Pocketa
2010-01-22, 12:35 AM
I have a crescent moon shaped scar on the top of my right hand that I've had since I was a kid, and nobody knows why. My theory? Living in a rural area in the South at the time, I was abducted by aliens. It's faint but raised but I can't photograph it, my cell phone camera isn't that great.

Exeson
2010-01-22, 08:14 AM
I have a few very small and faint scars on my hands and knees from just growing up as a boy. :smalltongue:

Only one of note really is a scar that sits on my upper lip, like a thin line from my nose to my mouth. I got smashed in the face by a hockey stick. Please people, when you are told not to swing your hokey stick like a golf club please take heed. It hurts, a lot.

Edit: also my two surgery scars on my chest and back, which are really really sensitive (as in a shiver and tense up when they are touched). Something my girlfriend finds very amusing. I was on local for the surgery so I got to watch, it was pretty interesting.

druid91
2010-01-23, 01:29 AM
I also have an underwhelming scar, story is funny though, I burned my arm halfway between my wrist and elbow on..... a water-slide.

ForzaFiori
2010-01-23, 02:01 AM
I got alot scars, none as impressive as brain surgery or anything though.
I'll divide them up by area.
Head:

1) slipped in the tub when I was 1, hit the faucet, now I have a really faint scar on my left cheek.
2) tripped running away from my sister, caught the corner of the fireplace with my forehead, hole the size of my mom's finger deep enough to chip the skull. 24 stitches in 3 rows (6 at the back, 6 middle, 12 on top) to put back. I still have a visible scar (especially when I raise/lower my eyebrows) and a dent in my head. The doc said that as wrinkles come in, the scar will fade.
3) I think I still have one on the back of my head from falling on a table off of a stool at my grandma's house, but my hair hasn't been short enough to see since it happened.
4) on my right eyelid, there used to be a very small scar. I'm not sure if its still there. I was cutting a box up, to get some cardboard to slide down the baseball hill at Clemson, and the scissors slipped and I stabbed my eye. I actually punctured the tear duct, causing me to cry through my eyelid. The doc said that the tear duct was the only thing that saved the eye, and that it was like a one in a million chance.

Chest/Arms:

1) Appendectomy: two sets of scars, one on the belly button, one just above. Each is a 1 in. line with 4 dots around it, where they made a small slice (One for a camera, one for a vacuum), and stapled me shut
2) Several on my right arm, all but one faded. Got them in my emo phase.
3) faint scar on where my left middle finger joins my hand. I was helping a friends church move, and got angry at someone. Instead of punching them, I turned and hit the truck. Caught a bolt with my finger. Very nasty.

Legs:

1) several very faint wraps around both ankles, from constantly cutting them on thorns and stuff in the woods.
2) my right knee is almost all scar. I've scraped it down to the bone/cartilage 3 times, once falling out of a boat (on dry land), twice falling down the same set of cement steps at my old middle school.

Despite all this, I've only had 24 stitches (all in the head) and 3 staples (all for the appendectomy. Probably could have used more, but didn't get them.

I'll try to post some pics up when I find my camera.

Malacode
2010-01-23, 02:19 AM
Hmm... I have a heap of scars, but they're all boring. The one through my eyebrow where I hit my head on a wooden fence when I was like four is the only one that's really visible anyway. I also have a heap of scars on my hands, where I've:
1: Stabbed myself with a serrated knife
2: Stabbed myself with a cheese knife
3: (Not normally visible, but is whiter than the rest of my skin) Burnt both my thumbs with a soldering iron (Incidentally, I now can't feel heat through my thumbs. I've accidentally burnt myself so many times on the thumbs while cooking.)
4: Stabbed myself with a soldering iron.

Yeaaaah.... I have skillz.

Redpieper
2010-01-23, 11:54 AM
Not counting self inflicted ones, one below my bottom lip where a tooth tried it's escape, some on my knees due to being a clumsy kid, one on my heel due to drunken easter fire jumping. And one on my left hand where I got stabbed by accident, still left my pinky all tingly. :smalltongue:

cho_j
2010-01-28, 11:14 PM
My right arm is a really impressive record of my times in the emergency room...

On the tip of my middle finger (meaning yes, while this one was new and healing I did have my middle finger out at people all the time) I have about 7 tiny stitches and almost no feeling because about 10 years ago I was playing in a river with really big rocks and one fell on and crushed the tip of my finger. It was just lovely. I was REALLY lucky nothing broke! But it was bloody and disgusting.

Then I have two three-ish inch lines alone both sides of the arm. A couple years after the finger, I got a compound fracture in my right arm by falling off the monkey bars at my elementary school and landing terribly. (For those who don't know, a compound fracture means the bone stuck out of the skin. Whee.) The side the bone popped out on has an extra little line almost perfectly parallel to the long scar, which was made by surgeons. I have two metal plates that will never come out.

The best part of all of this, though, is that every two weeks or so, someone I've met within the last year or so will notice the scars and ask for the story. I'm getting REALLY good at telling it succinctly and then changing the subject.