PDA

View Full Version : New Spell research ideas

phantomreader42
2010-01-13, 12:17 AM
I saw a thread on homebrew spells for improving wizard necromancy, and it got me thinking of how to introduce homebrew spells for different classes. Each type of spellcaster has a different way of interacting with magic, so they should have a different way of gaining new spells.

Some ideas:

Wizards gain their power by studying the nature of magic and practicing spells, and copying others' spellbooks. Therefore, a wizard can devote his own resources toward creating a new spell to his specifications, subject to restrictions based on the laws of magic (ie, whether the DM lets him or not). This gets the wizard the exact spell he wants, but at an enormous cost in reagents, practice time, and possible damage from failed experiments.

Clerics are granted spells by a god. As such, they cannot create a spell to order (unless of course their god encourages such, as a deity of magic or art might), but can pray for new powers in a general way. When and whether they get them is subject to divine whim. This has the advantage of costing the cleric very little in terms of reagents or magical energy, but is rather undependable.

Sorcerers use inborn, instinctive magic. They don't know where their power comes from, they just know how to use it. This would make sorcerer spell research haphazard and rather dangerous, a matter of practicing combining known spell effects and reaching for new possible uses. Probably slower than the wizard, less certain, and more dangerous, but cheaper.

Druids draw their power from nature. Nature is constantly growing, moving, and evolving. A druid cannot hope to control it completely, and wouldn't try, but can guide the forces of nature, figure out their patterns, and ride with the coming change. A druid seeking new magic could spend time in the wilderness meditating and studying, seeking out wild places where the effects he wishes to duplicate are likely to happen. This would probably require solitude and time away from the party, and may expose the druid to danger, but isn't likely to use any exotic materials beyond what can be found naturally.

Not sure at this point how to handle bard, or the more exotic classes. Psionics may map similarly to some of the arcane casters.

Dante & Vergil
2010-01-13, 04:20 AM
I actually say psionics should be closer to sorcerers, but it's only a suggestion.

hiryuu
2010-01-13, 08:04 PM
I actually say psionics should be closer to sorcerers, but it's only a suggestion.

Since they are Int-based casters and reading their flavor entries feels like reading yogi tracts with the serial numbers filed off and watered down like the ale in a 1-copper tavern, I would assume they combine aspects of wizards and druids; intense meditation, living out in the woods, study of ancient writings, reagents, and practice time.

phantomreader42
2010-01-13, 10:28 PM
Since they are Int-based casters and reading their flavor entries feels like reading yogi tracts with the serial numbers filed off and watered down like the ale in a 1-copper tavern, I would assume they combine aspects of wizards and druids; intense meditation, living out in the woods, study of ancient writings, reagents, and practice time.

That makes sense for a Psion, but a Wilder is more, well, wild. Unpredictable and uncontrolled, that seems it would make research very dangerous.

But I do love the turns of phrase there. :)

Latronis
2010-01-13, 10:35 PM
That makes sense for a Psion, but a Wilder is more, well, wild. Unpredictable and uncontrolled, that seems it would make research very dangerous.

And wilders are just the wizard's sorcerer to your psion so using wizard research for psion and sorc research for wilder fit.

Dante & Vergil
2010-01-14, 11:47 PM
There needs to be more concrete rules and guidelines for creating new spells.