PDA

View Full Version : "Once per casting" for warmage edge

Rainbownaga
2010-01-13, 10:39 PM
According to the description, warmage edge only applies once per casting, so only one magic missile or scorching ray, but multiple rounds of acid arrow and multiple targets for fireball.

This seems strait forward, but there seem to be a few vague situations: E.g. Thunderhead (SpC; using advanced learning) which launches a bolt every round: does this count as a duration or seperate attacks? Similarly, does meteor swarm only grant the bonus to the one 'fireball' or do all four count as the area of effect?

What about twin spell or ocular spell? What about spells that create some damaging effect such as ring of blades, or fiery weapon?

To be honest, i find this a very confusing feature.

Mongoose87
2010-01-13, 10:41 PM
Well, once per casting probably means just once, but it wouldn't be all that powerful to apply it more than once.

sofawall
2010-01-13, 10:57 PM
According to the description, warmage edge only applies once per casting, so only one magic missile or scorching ray, but multiple rounds of acid arrow and multiple targets for fireball.

This seems strait forward, but there seem to be a few vague situations: E.g. Thunderhead (SpC; using advanced learning) which launches a bolt every round: does this count as a duration or seperate attacks? Similarly, does meteor swarm only grant the bonus to the one 'fireball' or do all four count as the area of effect?

What about twin spell or ocular spell? What about spells that create some damaging effect such as ring of blades, or fiery weapon?

To be honest, i find this a very confusing feature.

WotC is not known for making corner cases clear, in any way, shape or form.

TheOOB
2010-01-13, 11:05 PM
Spells that are active multiple rounds would only get the bonus once. You don't cast those spells in future rounds, you just activate an effect.

As for meteor swam, I have no idea.

Darcand
2010-01-13, 11:24 PM
I've always ruled it as Once Per Target. I know it's not the way it's written, but it is the way I find it works best.

Rainbownaga
2010-01-14, 07:55 PM
Spells that are active multiple rounds would only get the bonus once. You don't cast those spells in future rounds, you just activate an effect.

As for meteor swam, I have no idea.

Actually, it specifically says that spells that are active for multiple rounds get the benefit in each round.

But take a case like s's snowball where you can throw a snowball each round; is it +bonus each round because your doing damage over multiple rounds, or is it +bonus only for the first snowball because they're multiple attacks? This is even more confusing since you throw multiple if you have more than one attack per round, in which case you can only claim the bonus once per round.

I've always ruled it as Once Per Target. I know it's not the way it's written, but it is the way I find it works best.

I like this. I think once per target per round is probably the best way to house-rule it; multiple target attacks are supposed to be the iconic wizard's speciality, and are generally less effective than spamming the one target. Its also a comprimise solution for meteor swarm

I'm still concerned about whether twinned or repeating metamagics count as multiple castings? People who post about fel-drain seem to think so, but I'm dubious.

Pink
2010-01-14, 08:17 PM
How is meteor storm confusing to apply this to? It's just like a grown up version of magic missile, only applies to one of the meteors.

Dimers
2010-01-14, 08:29 PM
Once I wanted to make a warmage/swashbuckler who got +(two times Int) damage on melee touch attacks, using (e.g.) chill touch. Then I read more carefully, and discovered that warmage edge came pre-nerfed. So I can deal extra damage ten times using a fireball, but not four times on four different attack rolls with chill touch? Grr. Grrr, I say! :smallyuk:

Rainbownaga
2010-01-15, 12:01 AM
Once I wanted to make a warmage/swashbuckler who got +(two times Int) damage on melee touch attacks, using (e.g.) chill touch. Then I read more carefully, and discovered that warmage edge came pre-nerfed. So I can deal extra damage ten times using a fireball, but not four times on four different attack rolls with chill touch? Grr. Grrr, I say! :smallyuk:

That's one of my main confusions because it specifically says that if a spell deals damage over multiple rounds you gain the benefit each round.