PDA

View Full Version : adaptive style (3.5; tiered variant)

Stycotl
2010-01-14, 12:23 PM
douglas inspired this feat in our watchtower game. adding it here for my homebrew sig purposes.

Adaptive Style

With just a short period of meditation, you can change your maneuvers and tactics to meet the threat you currently face.
Prerequisites: Crusader, Swordsage, Warblade, or other martial initiator class level 1st.
Benefit: You can change your readied maneuvers at any time by taking a full-round action. If you are a crusader, your current granted maneuvers are lost and you gain new granted maneuvers as if you had just readied your maneuvers for the day. At initiator level 6, it no longer takes a full-round action to change your readied maneuvers, but a standard action; at initiator level 11, it takes a move act, though you can still use a standard act if you wish; and at initiator level 16, it takes a swift act, though you can still use a move or standard act if you wish.
Special: You cannot use a maneuver readied with this feat sooner than two rounds after it was last used (you cannot use a maneuver, then change your maneuvers with this feat, and use the same maneuver again on the next round or sooner).
Normal: You can change maneuvers only by spending 5 minutes to do so.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-01-14, 12:30 PM
I like this, although I'm a little confused about the special requirement.

If I use, say, Mountain Tombstone Strike on round 1 and then refresh my maneuvers with my swift action, can I use Mountain Tombstone Strike on round 2, 3, or 4?

Also, I'm a little worried about high-level maneuver spam. On round 1 I use my best maneuver, and refresh. On round 2 I use my second best maneuver. On round 3 I use my best maneuver and refresh. On round 4 I use my second best maneuver...

See where this is going?

DragoonWraith
2010-01-14, 12:42 PM
That's assuming that you aren't using Boosts on those rounds... *shrug*. I dunno, by 16th level, this does not seem unreasonable. I guess it depends a lot on the game you're playing.

Stycotl
2010-01-14, 02:24 PM
I like this, although I'm a little confused about the special requirement.

the proper wording is eluding me currently...

If I use, say, Mountain Tombstone Strike on round 1 and then refresh my maneuvers with my swift action, can I use Mountain Tombstone Strike on round 2, 3, or 4?

you could use MTS on round one, then refresh (on either round 1 or 2), but you still wouldn't be able to use MTS again until round 3.

if you can think of a better way to word it than i have it, i'm all ears... eyes, whatever.

Also, I'm a little worried about high-level maneuver spam. On round 1 I use my best maneuver, and refresh. On round 2 I use my second best maneuver. On round 3 I use my best maneuver and refresh. On round 4 I use my second best maneuver...

See where this is going?[/QUOTE]

yeah. as it stands, all of them can do that to a minor degree, crusader doing it the best; swordsage and warblade have to wait a round in between (assuming swordsage has adaptive style). but crusader does it pretty much at will, and with his small maneuvers readied, he can almost definitely make sure that it is a high-level maneuver available on every round.

That's assuming that you aren't using Boosts on those rounds... *shrug*. I dunno, by 16th level, this does not seem unreasonable.

that is what we are hoping.

I guess it depends a lot on the game you're playing.

true. in my game, it is far from overpowered (we're running a gestalt game with quicker feat acquirement and oodles of upgrades available––though the players haven't seen most of them yet).

in normal games, i am still confident that it is not overpowered, but it certainly is nice.

DragoonWraith
2010-01-14, 02:50 PM
I think the D&D Wikia's rating system might be appropriate. At Wizard-level, this is not overpowered at all. At Rogue level, that is, the level ToB is at normally, maybe, but probably not too bad. Lower than that, and even ToB characters that would be normally OK are maybe causing problems with this.

DracoDei
2010-01-14, 03:28 PM
You use "act" in a lot of places where you should use "action".

Stycotl
2010-01-14, 04:21 PM
You use "act" in a lot of places where you should use "action".

yeah, probably right, but i don't care enough about that to change it.