PDA

View Full Version : Downloading DoW: Dark Crusade legally?

Narazil
2010-01-14, 09:37 PM
Hi guys. So, I was going to start a LP: Dark Crusade, but I seem to have misplaced my CD.

Is there any legal way of obtaining this particular game through download? I have my CD key and original case.

snoopy13a
2010-01-14, 10:26 PM
It is possible that it is legal for you to either download or borrow it from someone else as you have already bought a license to play the game.

However, the best legal advice here would come from a copyright attorney and it would be cheaper for you to buy a new copy than it would be to consult one of those.

Tavar
2010-01-14, 10:47 PM
YOu could try contacting either the makers or the publishers of the game. It might come to nothing, but who knows?

MrPig
2010-01-14, 10:47 PM
I'm fairly certain he was asking about purchasing a digital copy. If not, I'm afraid it'll more than likely be cheaper to just get a new copy. The Dark Crusade is available for 19.99 US on Steam.

Narazil
2010-01-14, 10:59 PM
I'm fairly certain he was asking about purchasing a digital copy. If not, I'm afraid it'll more than likely be cheaper to just get a new copy. The Dark Crusade is available for 19.99 US on Steam.
As in, I want to download it free of charge, seeing as I already have paid for the game.

I think Blizzard has this sort of deal, actually. Steam, too.

Tavar
2010-01-14, 11:03 PM
If it does, you might try checking out steam. In know you can buy the game on Steam, though I don't know if it follows that policy.

WoodenTable
2010-01-15, 12:41 AM
Game serial numbers (CD keys if it came on a disc) are usually issued specifically for their distribution type, i.e. bought at retail or downloaded through Steam or Impulse, for example. So it's unlikely you'll be able to find a way to download your game from somewhere if you bought it on a CD. Steam/Impulse/etc are issued serial numbers for a lot of games, which they distribute to their customers, but they generally aren't allowed to serve folks who got their games and serial#s from other sources.

That said, Steam has a list of games here (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601) that can be registered with them even if you bought them at retail (and that will always include Valve games, since they made Steam). Soulstorm is listed there, but Dark Crusade isn't, so I don't know. You'd have to try your CD key to check.

Impulse has a similar thing for all of Stardock's published games (Sins of a Solar Empire, GalCiv, Demigod, etc...) and any games that use Impulse Goo. Unfortunately, I've found no complete list of them, but I know there are less than on Steam's list, and I'm pretty sure Dark Crusade isn't one of them.

factotum
2010-01-15, 02:35 AM
I think Blizzard has this sort of deal, actually. Steam, too.

Depends on the game. Steam distributes some games that are also sold through other publishers (the X series, for example), and if you buy a physical CD copy of those and lose the CD, you can't then just download the Steam version because it's a different publisher.

king.com
2010-01-15, 02:36 AM
Depends on the game. Steam distributes some games that are also sold through other publishers (the X series, for example), and if you buy a physical CD copy of those and lose the CD, you can't then just download the Steam version because it's a different publisher.

Acutally you can it simply requires your CD key.

Bouregard
2010-01-15, 10:57 AM
Acutally you can it simply requires your CD key.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-WUSF-3601

Note: Only the retail third-party games listed above can be registered through Steam. No other third-party games can be registered and downloaded using Steam.

factotum
2010-01-16, 05:29 AM
I think Bouregard's answer is sufficient to prove my point. :smallsmile:

Acanous
2010-01-16, 08:00 AM
Ooooh Really? I can register Soulstorm on Steam? Iiiinteresting. I wonder if that makes it no-CD-playable. I end up playing Dark Crusade way more because it doesn't require a CD in the drive, but I rather like the Sisters of Battle. Also the Dark Eldar make funny li'l poppin sounds when me boyz crush 'em under deyz boots.

factotum
2010-01-16, 05:39 PM
Ooooh Really? I can register Soulstorm on Steam?

I thought we'd just got through saying that you couldn't? It isn't one of the games in the list Bouregard posted.

Narazil
2010-01-17, 11:54 AM
Soulstorm is on the list. Dark Crusade, however, is not. :smallannoyed: