deuxhero
2010-01-16, 03:54 PM
Any issues with making the Blackguard Requirements the following

Base Attack Bonus
+6
Skills
Intimidate 5 or bluff 5, Knowledge:Religion 2
Feats
Any 3 feats that may be taken as fighter bonus feats.
Special
Fallen Paladins may ignore the bluff/intimidate requirement.

Instead of the very stupid ones in the DMG?

Latronis
2010-01-16, 04:25 PM
Any 3 fighter feats is odd

At least the original prereqs seemed to be a flavor thing ('brutal' combat style)

But no, Blackguard is kinda crap anyway any prereq that prevent pre-5th level entry should be fine, spin it however you like

Vaynor
2010-01-16, 04:29 PM
How does this not require evil?

hamishspence
2010-01-16, 04:45 PM
"any nongood" might be an interesting alternative.

Latronis
2010-01-16, 04:49 PM
"any nongood" might be an interesting alternative.

well detecting and smiting good is a bit odd for nonevil's

deuxhero
2010-01-16, 07:22 PM
How does this not require evil?

1.This was a mechanical question.
2.Not too big on alignment

Vaynor
2010-01-16, 07:47 PM
1.This was a mechanical question.
2.Not too big on alignment

Alignment is just as much of a mechanic in D&D as anything else, as it stands a Lawful Good cleric who has never committed an evil act can smite good, command undead, and summon demons. Yeah.

You may not like alignment but it's a fairly important requirement for this class.

Latronis
2010-01-16, 08:19 PM
Alignment is just as much of a mechanic in D&D as anything else, as it stands a Lawful Good cleric who has never committed an evil act can smite good, command undead, and summon demons. Yeah.

You may not like alignment but it's a fairly important requirement for this class.

If you let it be.

Zexion
2010-01-17, 07:39 PM

"summon demons"?
Is that really what you meant?

Nano
2010-01-17, 08:20 PM
He was making the point that the Blackguard class, with the modified prerequisites and sans the alignment restriction, could be taken by a Lawful Good Cleric.

deuxhero
2010-01-18, 12:33 AM
And again, this was as a mechanical question of how sane requriements (hence why I didn't write the evil outsider contact thing, that and I can't think of a better way to write "Must have had contact with an evil outsider or cleric of an evil deity and have had them grant their "blessing""

Kuma Kode
2010-01-18, 07:33 PM
If you're not using alignment, that's fine, though you may want to add in some other requirement that implies evil, much like the assassin has the "must kill someone for no other reason than to become an assassin" requirement, to prevent the awkward conundrum as stated above.

Otherwise, it's interesting, and seems reasonable. It does redefine the blackguard as less brutal and more open to finesse due to the bluff option and the any 3 fighter feats, which is an appealing change. I never understood why the requirements had brutal feats but five ranks in Hide...

Though it still doesn't solve that nagging problem of a fighter still meeting the prerequisites easier than a fallen paladin. A nonhuman paladin cannot meet the feat prerequisites until level 9. This bugs me as the blackguard is always thought of as the fallen paladin prestige class, not the brutal fighter prestige class...

Fortuna
2010-01-19, 03:24 AM
True. Let me see...

Blast. Ex-paladins keep nothing. Maybe say that a fallen paladin need only meet the Knowledge: Religion requirement? It can already be entered at level 3 without issue as written here. If that is an issue, perhaps say that a fallen paladin need not meet the feat requirement if they have 5 ranks in Know: religion? That makes this almost a natural choice for fallen paladins who are staying down, which seems like how it should be.

Eloel
2010-01-19, 04:28 AM
True. Let me see...

Blast. Ex-paladins keep nothing. Maybe say that a fallen paladin need only meet the Knowledge: Religion requirement? It can already be entered at level 3 without issue as written here. If that is an issue, perhaps say that a fallen paladin need not meet the feat requirement if they have 5 ranks in Know: religion? That makes this almost a natural choice for fallen paladins who are staying down, which seems like how it should be.

Entered at 3rd level? With BAB +6 preq? Strong imagination you have there sir.

Fortuna
2010-01-19, 04:36 AM
Duh. I, good sir, am a moron: let this fact be remembered henceforth.