PDA

View Full Version : The Seer [PEACH]

Nano
2010-01-17, 11:47 PM
This is my first time homebrewing, so be gentle.

And don't get me wrong - She's vastly unbalanced, thus far. Absolutely killer in groups, useless on her own for the most part. I've been trying to balance her against the Sorcerer, and... Well, I'm sure you guys know how iffy that is. :smallyuk:

The most obviously broken ability is Share Vision, in conjunction with True Sight/Moment of Prescience.

The Seer
20 LEVEL SPELLCASTING BASE CLASS
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0lvl|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th| 9th

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Share Vision (1) |5|3

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3| |6|4|-

3rd|
+1|
+1|
+3|
+3|Precognition +1|6|5|-|-

4th|
+2|
+1|
+4|
+4|Uncanny Dodge|6|6|3|-|-

5th|
+2|
+2|
+4|
+4|Evasion, Mana Sense|6|6|4|-|-|-

6th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5|Precognition +2, Share Vision (2)|6|6|5|3|-|-|-

7th|
+3|
+2|
+5|
+5||6|6|6|4|-|-|-|-

8th|
+4|
+2|
+6|
+6|Improved Uncanny Dodge|6|6|6|5|3|-|-|-|-|-

9th|
+4|
+3|
+6|
+6|Precognition +3|6|6|6|6|4|-|-|-|-|-

10th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|Improved Evasion|6|6|6|6|5|3|-|-|-|-

11th|
+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|Share Vision (3)|6|6|6|6|6|4|-|-|-|-

12th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+8|
+8|Precognition +4|6|6|6|6|6|5|3|-|-|-

13th|
+6/+1|
+4|
+8|
+8||6|6|6|6|6|6|4|-|-|-

14th|
+7/+2|
+4|
+9|
+9||6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3|-|-

15th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+9|
+9|Precognition +5|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4|-|-

16th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+10|
+10|Share Vision (4)|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3|-

17th|
+8/+3|
+5|
+10|
+10||6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4|-

18th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Precognition +6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|5|3

19th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11||6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|4

20th|
+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|Truthseeker|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6|6[/table]

Alignment: Any

Hit Die: d4

Class Skills:
The Seer's class skills (and the key abilities associated) are Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int; Trained Only), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (All) (Int), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis).

Skill Points at 1st Level:
(4 + Int modifier) x 4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level:
4 + Int modifier.

Class Features:
All of the following are class features of the Seer.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency:
Seers are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. They are proficient with light armour, but medium or heavy armour interferes with their ability to cast spells.

Spells:
The Seer casts only spells from the Divination School (or spells which can otherwise be used to gather information) but is not restricted to the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list, though all spells she casts are treated as arcane. She can cast any spell she knows without preparing it ahead of time.

To learn or cast a spell, the Seer must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against the Seer's spell is 10 + the spell level + the Seer’s Wisdom modifier.

The Seer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. In addition, she receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Wis score.

At 4th level, and at every even-numbered Seer level after that, the Seer can choose to learn a new spell in place of one she already knows. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level spell the Seer can cast. The Seer may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that she gains new spells known for the level.

The Seer need not prepare her spells in advance. She can cast any spell she knows at any time, as log as she has not used up all her spells per day for that spell level. She does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.

Light armour does not interfere with the Seer's ability to cast spells.

Share Vision (Su): The Seer can extend her powers of sight to those she touches – It's far easier to show than to explain. At first level, and every five levels thereafter, she can share the effects of all her Divination spells and Seer abilities with one additional touched creature (1 at 1st level, 2 at 6th, 3 at 11th, and so on)as they are used. She need not maintain contact with the touched creatures – The effects of Share Vision persist until the Seer dismisses the effect or dies. Spells with an instantaneous duration, such as Identify, do not function with Share Vision.

Mana Sense (Ex): The mind of a Seer is innately well attuned to the eddies and flows of magic – , hey may utilize this attunement to sense magic or cast from a scroll at will (as per the spells Detect Magic and Read Magic).

Precognition (Su): The depth of the Seer's vision extends even beyond the present. Knowing her foe's moves before they do themselves, she gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC and Reflex at third level and every three levels thereafter.

Uncanny Dodge (Su): Sensing danger, the Seer can react to attacks that she should not be aware of. She retains her Dex bonus to AC even if caught flat footed or if struck by an invisible attacker.

Evasion (Ex): Where the Seer would normally take half damage on a successful Reflex save, she instead takes no damage.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Su): Taking her Precognition a step further, the Seer is no longer able to be flanked, and is immune to sneak attacks unless the attacker has at least four more Rogue levels than she has Seer levels.

Improved Evasion (Ex): The Seer now takes only half damage even upon failing a Reflex save. She still takes no damage if she successfully saves.

Truthseeker (Su): For the most powerful of Seers, eyes are more hindrance than help, and are thus forsaken. Without the burden of eyesight, she is free to perceive the universe as it truly is. She gains the effects of True Seeing permanently, gains Blindsense (yet retains the ability to distinguish colours, textures, and anything else she would have detected optically) to a range of 100', and need not make Spot, Listen, or Search checks – She automatically succeeds as long as what she seeks isn't actively trying to evade her, in which case she gains a mere +10 to the skill checks. This ability is excluded from the effects of Share Vision.

Temotei
2010-01-17, 11:56 PM
Permanent true seeing was good enough, but then you threw in no Search, Listen, or Spot checks, and blindsense without the usual limitations. Truthseeker is most likely too powerful. Even for a capstone.

Why good Reflex save progression? Precognition already helps raise Reflex saves.

Share vision is, as you said, bad. Change it to have a duration and you're talking. I'd even say to limit it even more than that by lowering the effects that can be translated, with the fluff stating that it's impossible for someone who's not a seer to understand truly what's out there. Combined with truthseeker, this is even better. No need for divination spell-sharing anymore.

Unless share vision has a duration equal to a spell's duration. Then it's not as bad. Still terribly powerful.

Evasion is enough, I think. Improved evasion is taking it pretty far beyond the normal spellcaster.

Sure, divination limits your ability with spellcasting, but not to the point that you need to break it with class features outshining most other things.

Milskidasith
2010-01-18, 12:14 AM
It depends on what you want this to be... since it's got full access to all divination spells spontaneously (no limits on spells known, as far as I can tell), it's very good at divining... but I think the offensive potential of divination is fairly low. More defensive abilities can help. Share Spell is most useful, I think, for giving divination buffs such as Moment of Prescience or True Strike to your allies, and with your huge number of spell slots, tossing out a quickened one every round so your fighter always hits isn't such a bad thing. I think it could be a very good buffbot with that, but not much else, although my knowledge of divination spells is limited.

Nano
2010-01-18, 01:19 AM
Ah, I forgot about spells known and such for level - they should be the same as a sorcerer, I'll have to edit that in soon.

And yeah -- Once I realized that divination didn't exactly have much offensive potential, the class became all about buffing the team.

@Temotei221: When I worried about Truthseeker being overpowered, what I was told was that 'a sorcerer of equal level, minimum, has the ability to change into whatever it wants for twenty hours a day.' In light of that, I didn't feel so bad about the capstone. You do have good points about the Reflex saves and Improved Evasion, however.

Removing the normal limitations of Blindsense was somewhat necessary, as, well, a seeker of knowledge who can't read has something of a problem.

Also, I did consider making limitations on Share Vision in regards to lowering the effects of her abilities - I just wasn't certain on how to go about doing it or even whether or not it was worth it.

Temotei
2010-01-18, 01:57 AM
Ah, I forgot about spells known and such for level - they should be the same as a sorcerer, I'll have to edit that in soon.

And yeah -- Once I realized that divination didn't exactly have much offensive potential, the class became all about buffing the team.

@Temotei221: When I worried about Truthseeker being overpowered, what I was told was that 'a sorcerer of equal level, minimum, has the ability to change into whatever it wants for twenty hours a day.' In light of that, I didn't feel so bad about the capstone. You do have good points about the Reflex saves and Improved Evasion, however.

Removing the normal limitations of Blindsense was somewhat necessary, as, well, a seeker of knowledge who can't read has something of a problem.

Also, I did consider making limitations on Share Vision in regards to lowering the effects of her abilities - I just wasn't certain on how to go about doing it or even whether or not it was worth it.

Good ideas.

Share vision could probably be reduced by saying something along the lines of "all numerical effects are reduced by X." That's not even close to covering divination well enough for it to work, but still...

Also, I just realized that your wording on share vision is very poor. It suggests that you can use all of your spells and abilities, sharing them with your allies, without using spell slots or anything.

True strike can now be shared with the fighter too. :smallbiggrin:

I'm sorry. Looking back at my first post, it seems quite a harsh dealing. A little tired, I am. Hopefully, you didn't get upset. Again, apologies for that. :smallsmile:

Nano
2010-01-18, 02:11 AM
My skin is a bit thicker than that, and I appreciate the criticism. :smalltongue:

I'll edit Share Vision's wording here in a moment. And sharing spells like True Strike was definitely one of the main purposes of the ability... She's designed to give huge buffs to the party.

Temotei
2010-01-18, 02:15 AM
My skin is a bit thicker than that, and I appreciate the criticism. :smalltongue:

I'll edit Share Vision's wording here in a moment. And sharing spells like True Strike was definitely one of the main purposes of the ability... She's designed to give huge buffs to the party.

Good thing. :smallamused:

Indeed...it would be nice to have some things. Perhaps, though, some spells could be restricted. Spells with instantaneous durations don't work with it?

I also thought of this. If you were to share vision with truthseeker, would the targets be blind with blindsense as well?

Nano
2010-01-18, 02:18 AM
Would you give me an example of such a spell? And I did consider just cutting Truthseeker entirely from Share Vision, considering the Seer gives up her eyes for it and her teammates... Well, don't. I think I will do that, actually.

Temotei
2010-01-18, 02:25 AM
Would you give me an example of such a spell? And I did consider just cutting Truthseeker entirely from Share Vision, considering the Seer gives up her eyes for it and her teammates... Well, don't. I think I will do that, actually.

Identify is an example.

Nano
2010-01-18, 02:29 AM
Gotcha. Edited in.

Milskidasith
2010-01-18, 02:29 AM
Identify is an example.

Identify wouldn't do anything by sharing it with your allies, as far as I can tell, seeing as it has a range of touch and just identifies the object. You can already cast it on your allies, though why you'd need to ID them I'll never know.

Temotei
2010-01-18, 02:55 AM
Identify wouldn't do anything by sharing it with your allies, as far as I can tell, seeing as it has a range of touch and just identifies the object. You can already cast it on your allies, though why you'd need to ID them I'll never know.

True that. Maybe constructs count as objects for magical enhancements (like a warforged character's armor plating)?

Still, seeing as it does next to nothing when sharing it, what's the point? That was just an example. There are probably other instantaneous-duration divination spells that wouldn't really work well with this ability.