PDA

View Full Version : how often do you get to use web?

taltamir
2010-01-19, 02:44 PM
web sounds really awesome at first look and is considered one of the better low level spells, but the whole "must be anchored" thing means that I practically never get to actually use it. The vast majority of encounters I get through don't have readily available anchors.

So how often do you use web?

Optimystik
2010-01-19, 02:45 PM
I'm using it right now.

nightwyrm
2010-01-19, 02:45 PM
web sounds really awesome at first look and is considered one of the better low level spells, but the whole "must be anchored" thing means that I practically never get to actually use it. The vast majority of encounters I get through don't have readily available anchors.

So how often do you use web?

Depends on whether I'm indoors where the ceiling is so convienent.

Tyger
2010-01-19, 03:17 PM
Indoors, all the time! As noted, that ceiling is usually pretty handy, and few cave systems / dungeons have ceilings higher than 40'. Out doors, depends on the terrain. If you are in a forest, you are usually set, but an open field, or a desert... well, it isn't quite as sweet a spell there.

taltamir
2010-01-19, 03:21 PM
Depends on whether I'm indoors where the ceiling is so convienent.

doh! the ceiling!
I am so pointing this out to my gaming group...

drengnikrafe
2010-01-19, 03:27 PM
Need something similar to Hold Portal when there is no door in the doorway?
WEB! I think it can be used like that.

ex cathedra
2010-01-19, 03:30 PM
Rather often. There are campaigns that don't feature trees, indoor areas without giant ceilings, alleys, rocky terrain, and the like, I'm sure; I've just never been in one.

arguskos
2010-01-19, 03:37 PM
Rather often. There are campaigns that don't feature trees, indoor areas without giant ceilings, alleys, rocky terrain, and the like, I'm sure; I've just never been in one.
You've never been in a Desert or Sea-based campaign, where web-viable terrain is less common (though it obviously exists)?

gallagher
2010-01-19, 03:38 PM
technically, one can use the spell all the time. it might not be the most effective route, though

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-19, 03:39 PM
I use Sticky Floor (think Grease, but more awesome), not Web, because most of my DMs like outdoor combat scenarios (even though they never think in 3D when they do use those fights). But Web itself gets a fair bit of play.

Fenix_of_Doom
2010-01-19, 03:40 PM
You've never been in a Desert or Sea-based campaign, where web-viable terrain is less common (though it obviously exists)?

I know I haven't, that's not to say we never sailed a boat or set foot in a desert, but those situations certainly are a lot less common ten the hills caves and forests. I have sort of played in a campaign based on a tundra with nomads and the like, but that never really got of the ground.

Saph
2010-01-19, 03:42 PM
Could use it very often. Actually use it very rarely, because it's such an annoying spell. Slows down combat to a ridiculous degree. I'd rather take some damage and actually kill the damn enemy rather than spend 1 hour of real time waiting for the enemies to get into range.

Longcat
2010-01-19, 03:43 PM
I'm rarely using Web myself, but I often summon creatures that can cast it (e.g. spiders).

taltamir
2010-01-19, 03:44 PM
Could use it very often. Actually use it very rarely, because it's such an annoying spell. Slows down combat to a ridiculous degree. I'd rather take some damage and actually kill the damn enemy rather than spend 1 hour of real time waiting for the enemies to get into range.

but if you can trap half the enemy forces in a web, you can fight off the other half, get ready, and then set fire to the web to continue the encounter.

Saph
2010-01-19, 03:51 PM
but if you can trap half the enemy forces in a web, you can fight off the other half, get ready, and then set fire to the web to continue the encounter.

Setting fire to the web means you have to wait until the fire's spread, which can take as much as 5 rounds or so, which can translate to half an hour of real time as different players come up with various weird plans. Given a choice between winning a battle in 1 hour with no damage, and winning a battle in 1/2 an hour with minimal damage, I'll pick the second.

Eloel
2010-01-19, 04:02 PM
Setting fire to the web means you have to wait until the fire's spread, which can take as much as 5 rounds or so, which can translate to half an hour of real time as different players come up with various weird plans. Given a choice between winning a battle in 1 hour with no damage, and winning a battle in 1/2 an hour with minimal damage, I'll pick the second.

Web is dismissable. Just make everyone ready an action to kick some enemies, and make the Wizard dismiss the web. Boom.

Flickerdart
2010-01-19, 04:07 PM
Web between masts and into sails? That would be pretty fun. You could swing from it, too...:smallamused:

Saph
2010-01-19, 04:09 PM
Web is dismissable. Just make everyone ready an action to kick some enemies, and make the Wizard dismiss the web. Boom.

If I'm going to dismiss it in one round, I'm not going to bother casting the thing in the first place. I'll just use Haste or Slow or something. Pretty much the only situation in which I'll use Web is if I'm fighting solo.

I remember one dungeon in which our party was fighting enemies who literally used Web in every battle. Made for unbelievably boring combats. "Oh yay, we get to wait another 5 rounds for the Web to burn out. I'm going to get a drink, anyone else want something?"

taltamir
2010-01-19, 04:11 PM

eh?
round 1: fire spreads, nothing happens, players shoot bows.
round 2: fire spreads, one enemy freed, party gangs up
round 3: fire spreads, two enemies freed, party gangs up
round 4: fire spreads, nothing happens, players shoot arrows
round 5: fire spreads, last of web burns, one enemy freed, players gang up.

I really don't see why that should take any longer then fighting the enemies at once, heck it should take less time because the enemies die faster because they are ganged up upon.

Sleepingbear
2010-01-19, 04:15 PM
At ninth level, I still have it prepared every day and I usually use it before the day is over if there's any combat. My DM likes mobs and it's handy for crowd control. Sort of a, "Wait there until we can get to you." measure. You know, like putting the enemy on hold.

Saph
2010-01-19, 04:16 PM
I really don't see why that should take any longer then fighting the enemies at once, heck it should take less time because the enemies die faster because they are ganged up upon.

5 feet of Web provides cover. +4 to AC.
20 feet of Web provides total cover. No bows at all.

Now add in the fact that everyone in the Web has to make Strength checks for EVERY SINGLE MOVE, then recalculate their move based on their Strength check result. Gah. I've played dungeons against enemies who made heavy use of Web, and on average, every casting increased the combat length by about 30 minutes. I really hate that stupid spell.

Justin B.
2010-01-19, 05:34 PM
5 feet of Web provides cover. +4 to AC.
20 feet of Web provides total cover. No bows at all.

Now add in the fact that everyone in the Web has to make Strength checks for EVERY SINGLE MOVE, then recalculate their move based on their Strength check result. Gah. I've played dungeons against enemies who made heavy use of Web, and on average, every casting increased the combat length by about 30 minutes. I really hate that stupid spell.

It may be a trite idea, but perhaps you should consider adjusting your playstyle so that it doesn't require advanced number crunching every round to use a simple control spell?

FishAreWet
2010-01-19, 05:37 PM
It may be a trite idea, but perhaps you should consider adjusting your playstyle so that it doesn't require advanced number crunching every round to use a simple control spell?

that's what he does. my not using it.

arguskos
2010-01-19, 05:38 PM
Um... control spells in general tend to increase the amount of number crunching and tactical decision making that is required, by their very nature.

In theory, Saph could rewrite Web to not require so much number crunching, but that detracts from the power of the spell, and negates the reason to cast it. Not really a useful idea. :smallwink:

Tyndmyr
2010-01-19, 05:41 PM
doh! the ceiling!
I am so pointing this out to my gaming group...

Yeah...I use it all the time. Basically, the DM gets to choose, either I get to fly out of melee reach, or I get to use web. Honestly, Im quite ok with either.

AslanCross
2010-01-19, 05:47 PM
My players get to use it rather often even if most of the encounters are outdoors.

It backfired really badly in the Battle of Brindol in Red Hand of Doom, though. One of the Thunderlizards was trapped in the web, so the crusader charged it.

The other Thunderlizards, held back by their riders, opened fire with their lightning bolts and blew the crusader's mount away. :P