PDA

View Full Version : Gaming pdfs for Haiti donation - link allowed?

happyturtle
2010-01-20, 03:04 PM
I found this press release on another gaming website:

Gamers Help Haiti! DriveThruRPG Offers a Mega-Bundle to Spur Donations

Wednesday, January 20, 2010
DriveThruRPG announced a major incentive to the roleplaying gamer community today to incite donations to aid in rescue and recovery in Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Called the “Gamers Helping Haiti Bundle,” the product includes over a hundred products totaling over $1000.00 in retail value. For a simple donation of $20 – all of which goes to Doctors Without Borders to support their post-earthquake Haiti relief efforts – RPG fans can have this once-in-a-lifetime collection of gaming products.

DriveThruRPG already had opportunities to donate up and running within a day of the disaster. When publishers began asking how they could support the cause, the bundle was created to be an all-inclusive shared effort. Those who donated at the lesser levels won’t be left out, however; gamers who have already donated $5 or $10 will be receiving a special coupon code that lets them pay the difference from their initial donation to get the bundle.
“We are humbled by the generosity of both our customers and our publishers,” said Sean Patrick Fannon, Marketing and Communications Manager for DriveThruRPG, “all of whom have stepped up at this time of terrible tragedy to offer aid to a desperate people. We are also very proud to facilitate these collective efforts, providing the necessary tools and technology to bring it all together.”
More than tools and tech, though, DriveThruRPG is really putting their money where their mouth is, so to speak. “We have always believed in the power of giving and sharing to make the world a better place,” said Steve Wieck, President and co-owner of the site. “To that end, we are matching funds with everyone who’s making a straight donation at the $5 and $10 level.”
There is no set date for terminating the donation efforts, though the bundle will only be available until the end of January.

Anyone wishing more information about this effort, or about DriveThruRPG overall, should contact Sean Patrick Fannon at sean@onebookshelf.com or his mobile, 614-946-9371.

I read the guidelines, but I wasn't sure if linking this in the Roleplaying Games forum would be allowed. It's a charity event, but it's also a commercial website and discussion of real world events, so I figured I would check first.

Temotei
2010-01-21, 02:39 AM
I found this press release on another gaming website:

Gamers Help Haiti! DriveThruRPG Offers a Mega-Bundle to Spur Donations

Wednesday, January 20, 2010
DriveThruRPG announced a major incentive to the roleplaying gamer community today to incite donations to aid in rescue and recovery in Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Called the “Gamers Helping Haiti Bundle,” the product includes over a hundred products totaling over $1000.00 in retail value. For a simple donation of $20 – all of which goes to Doctors Without Borders to support their post-earthquake Haiti relief efforts – RPG fans can have this once-in-a-lifetime collection of gaming products.

DriveThruRPG already had opportunities to donate up and running within a day of the disaster. When publishers began asking how they could support the cause, the bundle was created to be an all-inclusive shared effort. Those who donated at the lesser levels won’t be left out, however; gamers who have already donated $5 or $10 will be receiving a special coupon code that lets them pay the difference from their initial donation to get the bundle.
“We are humbled by the generosity of both our customers and our publishers,” said Sean Patrick Fannon, Marketing and Communications Manager for DriveThruRPG, “all of whom have stepped up at this time of terrible tragedy to offer aid to a desperate people. We are also very proud to facilitate these collective efforts, providing the necessary tools and technology to bring it all together.”
More than tools and tech, though, DriveThruRPG is really putting their money where their mouth is, so to speak. “We have always believed in the power of giving and sharing to make the world a better place,” said Steve Wieck, President and co-owner of the site. “To that end, we are matching funds with everyone who’s making a straight donation at the $5 and $10 level.”
There is no set date for terminating the donation efforts, though the bundle will only be available until the end of January.

Anyone wishing more information about this effort, or about DriveThruRPG overall, should contact Sean Patrick Fannon at sean@onebookshelf.com or his mobile, 614-946-9371.

I read the guidelines, but I wasn't sure if linking this in the Roleplaying Games forum would be allowed. It's a charity event, but it's also a commercial website and discussion of real world events, so I figured I would check first.

I think it would be allowed, but the better part of the forum would be Friendly Banter. It may not get quite the traffic Roleplaying Games does, but I think it fits slightly better.

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-21, 03:01 AM
I'm pretty sure that a charitable link would pass muster for posting, despite it being an otherwise commercial website. What's important is the intent. I know Rich is certainly in favor of charitable donation and has linked several in the news pages in the past, though admittedly they weren't through otherwise commercial sites.

On the note of real world events, current events are not against the forum rules unless they are religious or political real world events. Discussion of the tragedy in Haiti and how we can help out is certainly a topic that I think Rich would be happy to have on his forums. What we can't talk about is what a popular televangelist or politico has to say about it, no matter how silly or infuriating the topic might be.

Killer Angel
2010-01-21, 03:40 AM
I think it would be allowed, but the better part of the forum would be Friendly Banter.

Currently, there's a specific thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138483) on donations for Haiti, with links.

NerfTW
2010-01-21, 11:10 AM
I'm sorry, but my scam-o-meter goes off when I see $1,000 in products for a $20 donation. How are they even covering their own expenses to have anything leftover to donate?

$100 I could understand, but $1,481? And a request not to download immediately? Something smells funny here.

happyturtle
2010-01-21, 11:13 AM
They're pdf downloads. It isn't as if they have inventory costs to cover.

Matthew
2010-01-21, 12:57 PM
I'm sorry, but my scam-o-meter goes off when I see $1,000 in products for a $20 donation. How are they even covering their own expenses to have anything leftover to donate?

$100 I could understand, but $1,481? And a request not to download immediately? Something smells funny here.

I have donated and can confirm it is not a scam. It is not really $1,500 worth, more like $750, but companies like to quote full print price on their pdfs. In any case, it is product from about fifty different companies, so more like $15 dollars from each.

The Demented One
2010-01-21, 05:22 PM
PDF sales don't have production expenses to cover per-unit. Drivethrurpg's a legit site, and Doctors Without Borders is definitely a legitimate charity to be donating to.

Surgo
2010-01-21, 06:32 PM
In addition, the publishers themselves offered their products up to be part of the deal.

NerfTW
2010-01-21, 07:46 PM
Ah, reading the comments and looking more closely, I withdraw my criticism. It makes far more sense now.

And while I know Doctors Without Borders is legit, obviously, be aware that people can and will use that name to drum up donations and only donate a paltry amount. Just keep on your toes in a time like this when scammers are ready to take advantage of the confusion and chaos.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-21, 07:57 PM
Just keep on your toes in a time like this when scammers are ready to take advantage of the confusion and chaos.
Definitely good advice here.

Swordgleam
2010-01-21, 09:38 PM

Just to further address this (I know you withdrew your concern), I don't think RPGNow had any idea the bundle would get to be this size. They emailed publishers about 30 hours before the bundle would go up, and said, "If you have a product you'd like to contribute, go add it."

By the time I got the email, about 5 hours after they sent it, there was already $400 worth of stuff and it just grew from there. So RPGNow itself really has nothing to do with the (absurd) overall value - it's just that nearly every publisher on the site chipped in a product or three, and that adds up.

They don't want you to download stuff right away because their servers are getting totally slammed by this - which is awesome.

Sitzkrieg
2010-01-22, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the notice! I donated!

Zeta Kai
2010-01-22, 06:02 AM
One's basic humanity towards one's fellow man should not be construed as political.

Kobold-Bard
2010-01-22, 06:16 AM
One's basic humanity towards one's fellow man should not be construed as political.

I don't think that's the worry. Things like this that have a world-wide effect will inevitably stray to a political place, and it only takes one poorly worded post to start a massive flame war.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-22, 10:21 AM
Yet there’s always some jerk willing to make it so. :smallsigh:

Zeta Kai
2010-01-22, 12:31 PM
I don't think that's the worry. Things like this that have a world-wide effect will inevitably stray to a political place, and it only takes one poorly worded post to start a massive flame war.

To quote Morpheus, "How is that different than any other day?"