PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Animal Classes (PEACH)

Drakevarg
2010-01-20, 05:53 PM
Alright, these classes were each homebrewed on seperate occasions for seperate purposes, but the two base classes had the same idea behind it: I dislike treating any creature in a manner seperately from a PC. That is to say that every creature in the campaigns I run have character sheets. Mooks in the like don't get skills because they're a pain in the arse, but any named NPC can be expected to be treated the same as a PC.

The same holds for monsters, including animals. And so, when in a 5th level campaign the party's Druid got a bison companion, I wrote it up as a 5th level character with "Bison" as it's race. (I've also been working on a leveled race system for all animals, but that's a significantly larger project.) But the animal companion rules for Druids irked me. I didn't like how they worked.

So, I typed up an animal companion class, which can only be taken by creatures of the "animal" type who have been selected as a Druid's (or Ranger's) companion. Later I made a similar one for a Paladin's mount.

Finally, just today I wrote up a Dire Animal prestige class, because I wanted to be able to make anything Dire on a whim. Initially it was going to just be a template, but since Dire Animals have different HD than their base creature, it needed to be a class. At first I thought "oh, Animal!Blood Knight. Strength keeps going up."

But as I examined the differences between the base creature and the Dire one, I noticed that they rather consistantly only had a +4 bonus to STR. (Relative to their base creature.) (Except Dire Wolves, who inexpicably just decided they'd get a +12 or something for no reason.) Indeed, the only things that scaled consistantly (or at all, for that matter) were HD, BAB, Saves, and NAB. So that's what they got.

Personally, I think it sucks, and I might need to deviate from the core concept to make them a worthwhile class. Anywho, here ye are; whatcha think?

-----

COMPANION
Hit Dice: d8

Prerequisites
Type: Animal
Special: Must be made the companion of a Druid or Ranger.

Class Skills
Listen (WIS)
Spot (WIS)
Skill Points: 2

Class Features
Natural Armor Adjustment: A Companion's Natural Armor Bonus is equal to half its class level +2.
Strength/Dexterity Adjustment: A Companion's STR and DEX scores increase by 1 every third level.
Link: A Druid or Ranger can handle their Companion as a free action, or push it as a move action, even if they don't have any ranks in the Handle Animal skill. The Druid or Ranger gains a +4 circumstance bonus on all Wild Empathy checks and Handle Animal checks made regarding a Companion.
Share Spells: At the Druid or Ranger's option, they may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) they casts upon themselves also affect their Companion. The Companion must be within 5 feet of them at the time of casting to recieve the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantanious, it stops affecting the Companion if the Companion moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the Companion again, even if it returns to the Druid or Ranger before the duration expires. Additionally, the Druid or Ranger may cast a spell with a target of "You" on their Companion (as a touch range spell) instead of on themselves. A Druid or Ranger and their Companion can share spells even if the spells normally to not affect creatures of the Companion's type (animal).
Evasion: After 3rd level, if a Companion is subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, it takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw.
Devotion: At 6th level, a Companion's devotion to its master is so complete that it gains a +4 morale bonus on Will Saves against enchantment spells and effects.
Multiattack: At 9th level, a Companion gains Multiattack as a bonus feat if it has three or more natural attacks and does not alread have that feat. If it does not have the requisite three or more natural attacks, the Companion instead gains an extra attack with its primary natural weapon, albiet at a -5 penalty.
Improved Evasion: After 15th level, when subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, a Companion takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and only half damage if the saving throw fails.

The Companion
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|NAB|STR/DEX|Special
1st|+0|+2|+2|+0|+2|+0|Link, Share Spells
2nd|+1|+3|+3|+0|+3|+0
3rd|+2|+3|+3|+1|+3|+1|Evasion
4th|+3|+4|+4|+1|+4|+1
5th|+3|+4|+4|+1|+4|+1
6th|+4|+5|+5|+2|+5|+2|Devotion
7th|+5|+5|+5|+2|+5|+2
8th|+6/+1|+6|+6|+2|+6|+2
9th|+6/+1|+6|+6|+3|+6|+3|Multiattack
10th|+7/+2|+7|+7|+3|+7|+3
11th|+8/+3|+7|+7|+3|+7|+3
12th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+4|+8|+4
13th|+9/+4|+8|+8|+4|+8|+4
14th|+10/+5|+9|+9|+4|+9|+4
15th|+11/+6/+1|+9|+9|+5|+9|+5|Improved Evasion
16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|+10|+5
17th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+10|+5|+10|+5
18th|+13/+8/+3|+11|+11|+6|+11|+6
19th|+14/+9/+4|+11|+11|+6|+11|+6
20th|+15/+10/+5|+12|+12|+6|+12|+6[/table]

CELESTIAL MOUNT

Prerequisites
Type: Celestial Animal
Special: Must be the mount of a Paladin.

Class Skills
Listen (WIS)
Spot (WIS)

Class Features
Natural Armor Adjustment: A Celestial Mount's Natural Armor Bonus is equal to half its class level +2.
Strength Adjustment: A Celestial Mount's STR score increases by 1 every third level.
Empathetic Link: A Paladin has an empathetic link with their Celestial Mount out to a distance of 1 mile. The Paladin cannot see through the Celestial Mount's eyes, but they can communicate empathetically.
Share Spells: At the Paladin's option, they may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) they casts upon themselves also affect their Celestial Mount. The Celestial Mount must be within 5 feet of them at the time of casting to recieve the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantanious, it stops affecting the Celestial Mount if the Celestial Mount moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the Celestial Mount again, even if it returns to the Paladin before the duration expires. Additionally, the Paladin may cast a spell with a target of "You" on their Celestial Mount (as a touch range spell) instead of on themselves. A Paladin and their Celestial Mount can share spells even if the spells normally to not affect creatures of the Celestial Mounts type (magical beast).
Celestial Intellect: A Celestial Mount's INT score is 6 at 1st level, and increases by 1 every four levels thereafter.
Improved Evasion: After 3rd level, when subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, a Celestial Mount takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and only half damage if the saving throw fails.
Improved Speed: At 7th level, the Celestial Mount's speed increases by 10 ft.
Command Kin: After 11th level, once per day per two levels, a Celestial Mount can use this ability to command any normal animal of approximately the same kind as itself, as long as the target creature has fewer Hit Dice than the Celestial Mount. This ability functions like the command spell, but the Celestial Mount must make a DC 21 Concentration Check to succeed if it's being ridden at the time. If the check fails, the ability does not work that time, but it still counts against the Celestial Mount's daily uses. Each target may attempt a Will Save (DC 10 +1/2 Celestial Mount's level, + Celestial Mounts CHA Modifier) to negate the effect.
Spell Resistance: After 15th level, a Celestial Mount has Spell Resistance equal to its level +5. To affect the Celestial Mount with a spell, a spellcast must get a result on a Caster Level Check (1d20 + Caster Level) that equals or exceeds the Celestial Mount's Spell Resistance.

The Celestial Mount
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|NAB|STR|Special
1st|+0|+2|+0|+0|+2|+0|Link, Share Spells, INT 6
2nd|+1|+3|+0|+0|+3|+0
3rd|+2|+3|+1|+1|+3|+1|Improved Evasion
4th|+3|+4|+1|+1|+4|+1
5th|+3|+4|+1|+1|+4|+1|INT 7
6th|+4|+5|+2|+2|+5|+2
7th|+5|+5|+2|+2|+5|+2|Improved Speed
8th|+6/+1|+6|+2|+2|+6|+2
9th|+6/+1|+6|+3|+3|+6|+3|INT 8
10th|+7/+2|+7|+3|+3|+7|+3
11th|+8/+3|+7|+3|+3|+7|+3|Command Kin
12th|+9/+4|+8|+4|+4|+8|+4
13th|+9/+4|+8|+4|+4|+8|+4|INT 9
14th|+10/+5|+9|+4|+4|+9|+4
15th|+11/+6/+1|+9|+5|+5|+9|+5|Spell Resistance
16th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|+10|+5
17th|+12/+7/+2|+10|+5|+5|+10|+5
18th|+13/+8/+3|+11|+6|+6|+11|+6
19th|+14/+9/+4|+11|+6|+6|+11|+6
20th|+15/+10/+5|+12|+6|+6|+12|+6[/table]

DIRE ANIMAL

Prerequisites
Type: Animal

Class Skills
Listen (WIS)
Spot (WIS)

Class Features
Dire Strength: Dire Animals gain a +4 Strength Bonus.
Dire Charisma: Dire Animals gain a +4 Charisma Bonus.
Tough Hide: Dire Animals have a Natural Armor Bonus equal to their class level/3.

The Dire Animal
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special
1st|+1|+0|+0|+2
2nd|+2|+0|+0|+3
3rd|+3|+1|+1|+3|+1 NAB
4th|+4|+1|+1|+4
5th|+5|+1|+1|+4
6th|+6/+1|+2|+2|+5|+2 NAB
7th|+7/+2|+2|+2|+5
8th|+8/+3|+2|+2|+6
9th|+9/+4|+3|+3|+6|+3 NAB
10th|+10/+5|+3|+3|+7[/table]

Rainbownaga
2010-01-21, 12:59 AM
Aren't dire animals usually larger than the normal versions too?

As for the companion classes, they look good, but I worry about the 'hydra problem'. Not that you can have a hydra companion, but this encourages druids to find the pet that has the lowest possible hd for its challenge rating. Also, I only read briefly, but this is also a stealth boost for druids since their companions now level slightly faster.

I like it because it effectively gives rangers a(n almost) full level pet (if i understand correctly).

Drakevarg
2010-01-21, 01:19 AM
The wolf is, yes. The lion, tiger, and bear (oh my!), no. I didn't really check the others because it'd take about two weeks to finish transcribing all the stat blocks for side-by-side comparison...

As for the druid thing, when I finally get all the basics for them down, I'm going to post my homebrewed leveled animal races to get recommendations for the nessicary level adjustment. Until then, the druids would still have to use the minimum level requirements for the various companions that's listed in the PHB. (Or whatever they can convince the DM to let them have...)

And the ranger thing? Yes, it'd level at the same rate as a Druid's pet, but it'd be lower level on account of Rangers getting it later.

However, keep in mind that the basic premise behind these classes is treating animals the same way as PCs, so they'd probably gain XP seperately from their masters. (So you can't just leave your pet crocodile at the shelter for a few years and come back to find Godzilla waiting for you. It actually has to HELP.)

Rainbownaga
2010-01-21, 01:38 AM
What happens when your pet goes to the big monster manual in the sky? As it stands, a druid gets the pet strait back again, but how would you handle that? Force them to spend rez. spells on their pets (which would be good to see druids actually have a penalty for losing their pet, but there are already 'issues' with reincarnation (does that even work on animals?)

Drakevarg
2010-01-21, 01:46 AM
Well, having the Companion class requires being a Druid's companion, if the companion died, the Druid would always have the option to rez him. However, if the Druid got a new companion in the meantime, the Companion would lose it's Companion abilities as a result. (This would work like an ex-Paladin, so they'd loose the special abilities, the ability boosts, and the NAB, but BAB, Saves, and any Feats would be kept.)

Though I don't entirely understand your question: Do you mean that the Druid gets the pet SLOT open again and can pick a NEW one? If so yes. Or do you mean they get the PET back again, free of charge? In that case, no.

Rainbownaga
2010-01-21, 01:51 AM
I mean, what level would the pet be? If you had a pet that was bear 5/AC 5 and you lost it, would you be able to get another animal 5/ac 5, would you get an animal 10? Would it be based off the xp of your pet, or just your druid level? Would their be a penalty?

You mentioned that you couldn't just leave a crocodile to become crocozilla, but an xp system doesn't seem to be as logical if you can just switch them around.

Drakevarg
2010-01-21, 01:57 AM
That's a good question, and would likely change from DM to DM.

Personally, since I ENJOY adversity, both when I'm DMing and when I'm playing, I'd say that since it's a brand new animal, it's treated like one. Ergo, your hypothetical Animal 5 creature would be Animal 5/Companion 1. On the plus side, since you were level 10 and had appropriately scaled opponents, your companion would level faster than you would and catch up in relatively short order.

But again, I'm kind of a jerk like that. I'll bring about and endure as much suffering as possible, as long as I have fun and get to do something totally awesome occasionally. Like punch my way up a cliff.

Drakevarg
2010-01-24, 07:26 PM
Bump. (Perhaps not For Great Justice, but I still need these evaluated...)