PDA

View Full Version : Hanging the phone...

Crimmy
2010-01-20, 07:58 PM
I dunno if this will keep on going, but I hate it right now.

You can call me paranoic, but it's really getting me both annoyed and scared.

See, there's somebody calling home. But I don't know who it is.
More than that, the person calling gets the call through, and when I answer, he/she hangs up. But if I pick up and don't answer, he/she keeps the call for some seconds, and then he/she hangs up.
Suggestions, other than calling the police? (Already did, and they laughed right in my face, saying it must be somebody dialing wrong.)

Mystic Muse
2010-01-20, 08:07 PM
Answer is in my sig.

"there are things in this world that annoy us. Burn them" :smallbiggrin:

Maybe you could get a cell phone and not bother with the home phone? I'm sure there's also some way to find where the call is coming from. It might just be one of your friends playing a practical joke too.

Crimmy
2010-01-20, 08:11 PM
Answer is in my sig.

"there are things in this world that annoy us. Burn them" :smallbiggrin:

Maybe you could get a cell phone and not bother with the home phone? I'm sure there's also some way to find where the call is coming from. It might just be one of your friends playing a practical joke too.

Well, I have no call-identifyer.
And I don't care about the home phone, it's just that I've heard of people who, when not answering such phonecalls, return home to find their house pillaged.

And I know no friend who acts in such a way. Believe me, My friends are crazy, yes, but none of them are THAT crazy.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-01-20, 08:13 PM
Try pressing the redial button and phone the person who has been calling you, if you have such a button.

Tanaric
2010-01-20, 08:16 PM
*69 works with most phone companies, and gives you the last number that called your phone, sometimes for a small fee. Your own phone company may have a different combination, so check their website or your phonebook if that doesn't work.

And if the 911 operator you called laughed at you in truth, I'd seriously advise lodging a complaint. People have died due to careless emergency operators.

Coatl Ruu
2010-01-20, 08:20 PM
The same thing happened to me a couple of times. Someone called at about 10:30 at night, then hung up. Only happened a few times. I wouldn't worry too much, though. It's probably just someone prank calling you. Sort of. You could try leaving the phone off the hook for a while and hope they give up.

RandomNPC
2010-01-20, 08:24 PM
answer the phone with things like the following.

"Joes crab shack, we've got crabs!"
"Thanks for calling Bobs pants, he's not in them right now, can i take a message?"
everything else I've got is not board legal....

also, call the police again, tell them you feel harrased, and express concern over the looting of the house. If the police laugh it off again contact a lawer. I'd sugest trapping your doors and windows if that kind of thing is legal in your area, non-leathal (technicaly "less lethal") shouldn't be an issue but you never know.

A Theif near my area locked himself in his targets garage for 5 days with nothing but dry dog food and tap water to survive on, he sued for emotional distress. But if the police laugh you off, i'd go for desperation or something if it ever came up.

DraPrime
2010-01-20, 08:45 PM
Honestly, it just seems like this is someone's dumb idea of a prank. I think that the proper response is what was already suggested, answering with a fictional store. Or, hit *69. Should be good. And if you are worried, go talk to the cops again. Persistence will make them listen to you.

Crimmy
2010-01-20, 08:50 PM
I'd try the 911, 'xcept I'm not from the USA.
And as for the *69, I doubt TELMEX has such a thing.

Still, thanks for the ideas, I shall look for a way to phone-back at the callers.

DraPrime
2010-01-20, 09:13 PM
I'd try the 911, 'xcept I'm not from the USA.
And as for the *69, I doubt TELMEX has such a thing.

Still, thanks for the ideas, I shall look for a way to phone-back at the callers.

You could just call Telmex. They could tell you how to do the call back, if it's possible.

BarbarianNina
2010-01-20, 09:20 PM
My two cents...

How long has this been going on? How frequent is it? Is there a pattern?

I don't think you need to panic. I once read about a woman who received mysterious hang-up phonecalls for weeks, often several times a day... until at last it was discovered that the 'person' harrassing her was an old water heater that was programmed to call the repair company when it broke. With all the automated calling stuff out there, something like this is really the most likely explanation.

Also, I'm going to respectfully disagree with some of the advice here: unless you live in some crazy civilized place where they properly fund their emergency systems, don't harrass the police. At best you'll annoy them, and possibly get fined; at worst, somebody will die because their operators are distracted.

Now, it is possible that someone is calling with the intent of looting your house if you don't answer. How often are they calling? Is it once every night, or a few times a night widely interspersed? If so, maybe you should be concerned. I'm not sure what to tell you in that case, other than to document the times of the calls, and maybe alert your neighbors. If it's just over and over again on the same night-- then what the heck is up with that would-be burglar? Not that burglars are the most reasonable people, but you're think if nothing else, he or she would get bored.

I would vote for contacting your phone company's customer service and informing them about the problem, though. Most likely it's careless automated calling, in which case you'll be doing a public service by getting the glitch fixed. And if it's someone prank calling, they probably have a way of dealing with that.

Gamerlord
2010-01-20, 09:23 PM
Answer this:
"Hello, this is the *Insert talk show host* show, *Insert talk show host* speaking"
Kidding, kidding!
Just try to redial and call them back.

Kallisti
2010-01-20, 09:27 PM
If you can't call back, then get caller ID. It displays the number for a call, IIRC. Call the person back with that number and harass them. Unless it turns out it really is a glitch or a wrong number, in which case calling back could possibly confirm that.

Thajocoth
2010-01-21, 08:35 AM
It could be someone romantically interested who has the courage to call, but not the courage to actually speak when they do. If sitcoms have taught me anything, this is the most likely scenario.

Cyrion
2010-01-21, 09:49 AM
Once you have the number, either through caller ID or some sort of callback service, most phone companies should offer the option of having the number blocked so they can't call you.

thubby
2010-01-21, 10:26 AM
Once you have the number, either through caller ID or some sort of callback service, most phone companies should offer the option of having the number blocked so they can't call you.

i don't know if this applies to all services, but you can call the company and have them block the number of the last call received.

I doubt its something to worry about, i once got such hang up calls from a dialing machine in another timezone.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-01-21, 11:43 AM
I doubt it's anything you really need to worry about. We have a company here in town (Cargill) that keeps calling our house, yet when/if you answer nobody speaks. My guess is it's some sort of autodialer, and nothing to really get too worked up about.

raitalin
2010-01-21, 03:46 PM
I doubt it's anything you really need to worry about. We have a company here in town (Cargill) that keeps calling our house, yet when/if you answer nobody speaks. My guess is it's some sort of autodialer, and nothing to really get too worked up about.

This. I have a number that calls me every few days and doesn't answer if I do. I googled the number and it turns out its a company notorious for constatnly auto-dialing people and violating the DNC list.

Crimmy
2010-01-21, 04:33 PM
Thankfully, the dialing ended.

I took some of the suggestions, and I'm currently trying to get TELMEX to tell me who's calling.

I took some others, and they seemed to work.
I've begun to laugh histerically when the call comes through. They misteriously dropped it after the 4th time I laughed.

Still, I thank ye all, and let this be a lesson to me. Maybe me and my family should get a caller ID

Ichneumon
2010-01-21, 04:36 PM
We've had something similar a while ago. It turned out something was wrong with our phone. When some specific people were trying to phone us, they did speak, but we couldn't hear them and they couldn't hear us.