PDA

View Full Version : The Ten Level Fighter *PEACH*

Mongoose87
2010-01-21, 02:24 PM
The Fighter is considered the ultimate mundane. Reading over his "class features," in essence, all he gets is to be really good at stabbing things, and second only to the Warblade and Barbarian at getting stabbed. Really, he gets a raw deal - we all know it.

So, bearing in mind his excessively mundane nature, I had an idea. The fighter is already mostly a two-level dip, for someone with an eye for optimizing. Why not redesign the whole class in that direction, making it a variable size dip for martial types? Taking the stated maximum level of real-life mundanes, level six, then adding a few more, to account for Herculean feats of martial prowess, we arrive at the ten-level Fighter.

Alignment

Any.
Hit Die

d10.
Class Skills

The fighter’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance(dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str),Knowledge(any one)(int), Ride (Dex), Spot(Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at 1st Level

(4 + Int modifier) ×4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level

4 + Int modifier.

Fighter
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|Weapon Focus, Versatility, Strong Save, Bonus Feat

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+0|Armor Training, Bonus Feat

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+1|Weapon Specialization

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+1|Magical Arms, Bonus Feat

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+1|Greater Weapon Focus

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+2|Supreme Opportunist, Bonus Feat

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+2|Greater Weapon Specialization

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+2|Bonus Feat

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+3|Weapon Mastery, Bonus Feat

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+3|Supreme Counterattack, Bonus Feat[/table]

Class Abilities

Weapon Focus: At first level, a fighter gains Weapon Focus as a bonus feat.
Versatility: A fighter understands that his vocation won't last him forever. Knowing this, he keeps an open mind. Any fighter who multiclasses gains benefits proportionate to his fighter levels.
A fighter taking levels in a Martial Adept class adds his full fighter level to his initiator level and have all maneuver prerequisites reduced by one.
A fighter taking levels in a casting class adds his fighter level to his caster level.
A fighter taking levels in rogue gains a number of skill points equal to his fighter level, and gains additional sneak attack dice equal to 1/4 his fighter level.
A fighter taking levels in Paladin counts his fighter level towards his Smite Evil damage and gains extra attempts equal to 1/3 his fighter level.
A fighter taking levels in barbarian stack his fighter levels with his Barbarian levels for determining his rages per day.
A fighter taking levels in Monk stacks his fighter levels with his Monk levels for purposes of determining his unarmed damage and unarmored speed.
Levels in fighter do not count for purposes of experience penalties.
Strong Save: All fighters have superb fortitude. Most also have strong defenses in one other area. A fighter chooses one of will or reflex to have the strong save progression in, as well.
Bonus Feat: At first level and every even level, a fighter chooses a bonus feat from the list of fighter bonus feats.
Armor Training: Starting at 2nd level, a fighter learns to be more maneuverable while wearing armor. Whenever he is wearing armor, he reduces the armor check penalty by 1 (to a minimum of 0) and increases the maximum Dexterity bonus allowed by his armor by 1. Every two levels thereafter, these bonuses increase by +1 each time.
Weapon Specialization: At third level, a fighter gains Weapon Specialization as a bonus feat. He also gains Weapon Focus in another weapon. Every time he gains one of the Weapon Focus line of feats from his class, he gains Weapon Focus in another weapon, and all weapons in which he has one of these feats are progressed to the next on the tree.
Magical Arms: At fourth level, a fighter has the ability to hold weapon enchantments within himself, allowing him to use them with multiple weapons. A fighter may hold a number of enhancements equal to half his fighter in equivalent enhancement bonus within him, and these enhancements count towards all eligible weapons he wields.
Supreme Opportunist: A fighter excels at making the most of his chances. He gains an extra attack of opportunity per round. Any time someone attacking him rolls a natural one, they provoke an attack of opportunity. When making attacks of opportunity, his critical range is doubled.
Weapon Mastery: A fighter gains benefit of one of the Weapon Mastery feats. The benefits of this stack with those from the Weapon Focus line.
Supreme Counterattack: The few fighters that stick with the class long enough learn the most powerful technique available to the class. Any time a fighter succeeds on a save against a spell or spell-like ability, he may make an attack roll against his assailant. If he succeeds, the spell or spell-like ability is deflected back at them.

Milskidasith
2010-01-21, 02:29 PM
So how does the CL bonus work with casters? As a level 10 fighter/wizard 1, am I just casting first level spells with CL 11? What about psions, do I gain PP as if I was a level 1 Psion, or get the PP from going from level 10 to level 11?

Mongoose87
2010-01-21, 02:46 PM
So how does the CL bonus work with casters? As a level 10 fighter/wizard 1, am I just casting first level spells with CL 11? What about psions, do I gain PP as if I was a level 1 Psion, or get the PP from going from level 10 to level 11?

First level caster/manifester. I was considering giving "free" levels, as though you had taken levels in the casting class, but I didn't think it made sense, fluff-wise. Picking up caster levels, from a few tricks you've seen over time is one thing, but effectively having extra character levels? Seems "unrealistic." Besides, no caster will take all that many levels of fighter, if any.

Eloel
2010-01-21, 03:18 PM
So, the new trend for melee guys is, going Fighter 10/Monk 1/Barb 1/Paladin 1/Rogue 1/Crusader 1/Warblade 1/Swordsage 1?

That doesn't sound right.

A.J.Gibson
2010-01-21, 06:41 PM
I like the idea of making the fighter more powerful, but a lot of the powers here are simply additional feats gained, and it's not a particularly generic class since it seems to be centered around weapon mastery, yet it doesn't grant much in this field you can't get through existing feats.

The versatility thing is a good idea; it's been mentioned before that taking wizard 3/cleric 3/mystic theurge 10 is weaker than simply taking cleric 16 or wizard 13; likewise taking spell-caster 1/other spell-caster 1/fighter 10 is not going to be a huge show stopper, since all the fighter will be able to do is cast a bunch of list level spells as an 11th level character.