PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Schooling Sub

Rasman
2010-01-22, 08:11 PM
In the players guide to Faerun, there's a regional feat, Arcane Schooling, that for the purpose of activating magic items, you are treated as having one level in either Wizard, Bard or Sorc. Are there any feats in other books that duplicate this that don't require being from a specific region, or is it reasonable to see if I can take the feat anyway if I RP it as my Monk wanting to take training from either the party mage or a local Wizard's tower in order to be able to use Wands and some magical staffs?

Darrin
2010-01-23, 02:14 PM
In the players guide to Faerun, there's a regional feat, Arcane Schooling, that for the purpose of activating magic items, you are treated as having one level in either Wizard, Bard or Sorc. Are there any feats in other books that duplicate this that don't require being from a specific region, or is it reasonable to see if I can take the feat anyway if I RP it as my Monk wanting to take training from either the party mage or a local Wizard's tower in order to be able to use Wands and some magical staffs?

You could take the Planar Touchstone feat, link it to the Catalogues of Enlightenment, and pick up the Magic domain power. This would allow you to use spell-triger and spell-completion items as if you were a 1st level wizard.

Planar Touchstone requires 8 ranks of Knowledge: the Planes. You can pick that up as a class skill via the Knowledge Devotion, or take the 5th level Monk Substitution Level in the Planar Handbook.

FMArthur
2010-01-23, 03:36 PM
The idea of regional feats is irredeemably stupid anyway. "You are literally unable to do something unless you were born in a certain town" has me saying "bite me" out loud to my books. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask your DM to let you take it despite your heritage.

Rasman
2010-01-23, 03:46 PM
The idea of regional feats is irredeemably stupid anyway. "You are literally unable to do something unless you were born in a certain town" has me saying "bite me" out loud to my books. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask your DM to let you take it despite your heritage.

he can be lax with some stuff like this, seeing as he's not opposed to Munchkins via a direct quote from our last session, but I'm still wary about asking this sort of thing

I also realize that it's a feat you're supposed to take at character creation, is it feasable to try the "party wizard, teach me to use wands" RP approach or possibly have it be something that is tied into the teachings of my order?

Kelb_Panthera
2010-01-23, 04:14 PM
Can't you take a regional feat if you have certain number of ranks in knowledge (local) as long as you don't have any other regional feat?

Quietus
2010-01-23, 04:21 PM
he can be lax with some stuff like this, seeing as he's not opposed to Munchkins via a direct quote from our last session, but I'm still wary about asking this sort of thing

I also realize that it's a feat you're supposed to take at character creation, is it feasable to try the "party wizard, teach me to use wands" RP approach or possibly have it be something that is tied into the teachings of my order?

I'd allow it.