PDA

View Full Version : Need for (flying) Speed (3.5)

Skaven
2010-01-23, 09:29 AM
Hey folk.

I'm looking into making a character and I am looking for advice for flight speed. I'm not settled on anything yet, but I do know I want to be able to fly, and fast.

I'm wondering if there are any feats to increase flight speed. Right now what i'm loking at has a flight speed of 30ft, but i'm wanting to increase that to at least 40ft. I really want this guy to be 'renowned for his speed in the air'.

Class wise i'm looking into a mainly fighter type character, with some rogue levels mixed in (Atypical 'adventurer', a fighter who doesnt need someone else to pick his locks or find his traps). However i'm pondering dipping into sorcerer a little bit in order to access expeditious retreat, at which point I might look into a gish PrC. Are there any fighter-rogue type Gish PrC's? (ot question I suppose)

deuxhero
2010-01-23, 09:33 AM
Race?

As for fighter/rogue PRCs, take Swashbuckler/rogue 3/swashbuckler with the daring outlaw feat (makes SA and grace stack, Swashbuckler gets full BAB, Finease and int to damage). For an actual PRC Scarlet Corsair (in a preview, I'll pull it up).

edit: here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050805b&page=1).

Sneak Attack Fighter+Thug (UA, SRD) may also be a good replacment for rogue (fewer skills, but full BAB, Daring Outlaw is writen in a way that it qualifies and is effective for the feat losing only grace at worst)

Skaven
2010-01-23, 09:35 AM
Not decided on race yet, but I want LA+0, probably Kobold with RotD wing feats.

deuxhero
2010-01-23, 09:38 AM
Raptorian (also in a preview) get racial flight for LA+0 (they can't do it all day till level 10 though)

edit: Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050106b&page=1).

Ranos
2010-01-23, 09:48 AM
Travel devotion can give you bursts of speed (additional move as a swift action). Animal devotion as well. (+10ft).

Both of those are 1/day and last for 1 minute, unless you get your hands on some turn undead attempts.

Curmudgeon
2010-01-23, 11:16 AM
The best way to get a high flight speed is to get it as a multiple of your land speed, because there are lots of ways to boost land speed. The Feathered Wings graft (Fiend Folio, page 210) lets you fly at 2x your land speed. Fiendish grafts make you evil, so keep that in mind.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-23, 11:18 AM
Heart of Air is a goodly duration buff(hr/lvl iirc) that gives you +10ft to your fly speed. Complete Mage.

Now, as a fighter, getting your hands on a reliable source of a personal ranged spell may be challenging, but it's not that high a spell, and if your DM is permissive with magic goodies, talk to him.

dsmiles
2010-01-23, 11:20 AM
Overland Flight? Doesn't that give you fly speed of 40 ft.?

Foryn Gilnith
2010-01-23, 11:23 AM
You want a feat? Planar Handbook has the Air Heritage feat. +30' fly speed, +2 Balance/Jump if you're in light/no load/armor.

magic9mushroom
2010-01-23, 11:45 AM
It is +1 LA, but White Dragonspawn gives you a 60ft fly speed IIRC.

Not that a DM would let you take White Dragonspawn if they'd given the template more than a glance. It gives you a level of sorcerer casting as well as +2 Dex, +2 Con, a breath weapon, +7 natural armour, and death throes in addition to the wings.

Draz74
2010-01-23, 11:52 AM
You want a feat? Planar Handbook has the Air Heritage feat. +30' fly speed, +2 Balance/Jump if you're in light/no load/armor.

This.

Or, polymorphing into dragons with a flight speed of 200.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-01-23, 11:53 AM
Dragonborn Race?

Gives you Wings, if you choose them. It is pretty awesome.

2xMachina
2010-01-23, 12:01 PM
Shadow template gives +10 feet to all modes. Get it through Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis.

BTW, if you got a fly speed of double your land speed, how much would your speed be if you get +speed?

Is it, say: 30 land speed + 10, so 40 land speed. Double that for fly, so 80. +10 from template again, so 90?

That's a total of +30 feet just from a +10. Yes? No?

Curmudgeon
2010-01-23, 12:10 PM
That's a total of +30 feet just from a +10. Yes? No?
No. The increases to all modes are simultaneous. You get either

+10' land speed, doubled; or
+10' fly speed.
You don't get to run through multiple calculations, applying them at different times.

Darrin
2010-01-23, 12:46 PM
Off the top of my head, the only way to start at level 1 with a fly speed and no LA is Hengeyokai with the Sparrow form (Oriental Adventures). The sparrow form itself has a fly speed of 50', but you're fine-sized which may be a problem if you're anything other than a Warlock or Dragonfire Adept. The hybrid form, however, is still medium-sized and humanoid-shaped, has a fly speed of 20'.

If you add the Dragontouched feat (Dragon Magic), you can take Improved Speed feat (Draconomicon) to increase your flight speed by +20' and all your other speeds by +10'.

Person_Man
2010-01-23, 01:28 PM
Totemist can do it at second level by binding a Pegasus Cloak or Dragon Mantle.

There are a variety of Grafts that add wings.

Alter Self also offers easy access to wings, especially for a Dragonwraught Kobold.

deuxhero
2010-01-23, 08:05 PM
Though there is one humanoid alterself form that gives flight before you can cast fly (Raptorian doesn't untill ECL 5, and only flys long enough to mirror fly) and it is 1.Obscure 2.A subrace of the most annoying race 3.gives us one of the most annoying, whiny NPCs I've seen (Winged Elf if you don't know).

Now if you are an Outsider (planetouched) Dragon (Dragonborn). Arbitration (Elan) Construct (Warforged/Warforged Scout) or prehaps even Monstrous Humanoid (I doubt there are any forms for Giants with flight hell, Ogres are the only SRD creature legal for alter self!) there is likely a few forms with flight.

Skaven
2010-01-24, 07:21 AM

This seems like the best recourse!

I'll have to ask my DM to approve just modifying its fluff to be 'draconic' in flavor, but otherwise its perfect, thank you!