PDA

View Full Version : Another One!!!!!!!!!!!!

dogmac
2010-01-25, 01:03 AM
I don't know what is happening to the world.

Yet another new employee in my department doesn't drink coffee.

You may say "so", but if you do so, you miss the point.

We're I.T.!

IT can't run without coffee consumption!!!!

And as of this moment, the coffee drinkers are now outnumbered by the non-coffee drinkers. This is just WRONG!

I don't know i can rely on these people AT ALL.

Pyrian
2010-01-25, 01:05 AM
Don't panic! Mountain Dew is an entirely acceptable substitute! :smallcool:

dogmac
2010-01-25, 01:06 AM
No, no.. he only drinks water.

Not even BEER was the implication.

Pyrian
2010-01-25, 01:22 AM
...Tea? :smallconfused:

dogmac
2010-01-25, 01:24 AM
Only. Water.

I'm just glad I won't be relying on him for much.

reorith
2010-01-25, 01:30 AM
i thought the IT caffeine addict thing was just a stereotype. is it really that big of a deal?

dogmac
2010-01-25, 01:33 AM
Well....

I gave up caffeine for Lent one year.

I was requested by collegues never to do so again.

Pyrian
2010-01-25, 01:39 AM
http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2003-06-19/ :smallamused:

A programmer is a device for transforming caffeine into code. :smallwink:

KnightDisciple
2010-01-25, 01:41 AM
I'm IT (well, in theory, kind of between jobs unfortunately at the moment), and I'm one of those "only water" types. Hasn't stopped me from doing IT-y things.

Soterion
2010-01-25, 01:41 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. I don't drink coffee. Or any caffeinated beverages, for that matter.

The Extinguisher
2010-01-25, 02:09 AM
Personally, I cannot stand Coffee. I can pick out it's taste in anything, and it's far to strong for me.

Then again, I'm not a programmer. But I'm a university student, and a physicist, so that kinda counts.

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-25, 02:20 AM
I am the only regular coffee drinker on my shift at work. Sometimes, on rare occasions, one or another person will have a single cup during my shift, but by and large, I am the only one who drinks coffee. I am IT. I work midnights. Based on the evidence provided, it is my belief that the coffee swilling IT stereotype is largely outdated.

Which means more coffee for me! :smallcool:

Temotei
2010-01-25, 02:25 AM
http://www.dilbert.com/strips/comic/2003-06-19/ :smallamused:

A programmer is a device for transforming caffeine into code. :smallwink:

Thanks. :smallsmile:

Eldan
2010-01-25, 02:35 AM
I used to be a non-coffee drinker. One of the "water only" crowd. Then came 12 hour lab shifts and my colleagues got me addicted.
First cup of coffee? My hands were shaking for the next three hours and I couldn't stand still. Now I'm so addicted, I can't wake up without a cup.

I hate it.

Totally Guy
2010-01-25, 03:04 AM
Only. Water.

I'm just glad I won't be relying on him for much.

Seriously? This is what passes for a prejudice these days?

Don't be this person.

KuReshtin
2010-01-25, 03:42 AM
I've managed 10 years in IT without ever drinking any coffee. Before that, i worked 3 years in healthcare, another of those jobs where drinking coffee almost seems a prerequisite for getting the job. Worked nicely even without me drinking any coffee.
Sure, I drink the occasional red-canned Cola beverage, but I'm cutting down on that a lot as well. Gone over to 7-'not down' instead.

Felixaar
2010-01-25, 03:47 AM
the strange thing for me is that my ratio of "special things to drink out of" : "drinks I drink" is a little off balance.

STtDOo
Cups (yeah.)
Goblets.
My Lucky Wine Glass (story for another time.)
Drinking Horn
Hip Flask
Stein

DID (I do that?)
Water
Tea
Juice

yeah, 2:1.

Confuuuuusing.

rakkoon
2010-01-25, 04:27 AM
Here, it's mostly coffee and energy drinks.
Since I'm allergic to the stuff (coffee that is), tea is a better substitute. But it does not keep you awake :smallconfused:
And people keep staring at me when I refuse a cup.

Slayn82
2010-01-25, 05:48 AM
Well, im Brazilian. Here we start drinking coffee since we can start eating solid foods. Around 5-6 years old. And aparently in the remainder of the Latin America is the same way too. A good coffee cup equals a show of good hospitality and friendship to most of us.

So, how can other people do anything without coffee? That thought befuddle most of us.:smallwink:

GolemsVoice
2010-01-25, 07:28 AM
You're a girl working in an IT department. As far as breaking stereotypes goes, you don't have to complain yourself. :smallbiggrin:

Winter_Wolf
2010-01-25, 07:47 AM
No, no.. he only drinks water.

Not even BEER was the implication.

I had to laugh at this. I'd think beer or any alcohol would be bad for working IT. The thing to understand is that people who don't regularly consume caffeine don't suffer that nasty personality shift when they hit withdrawal. Probably why you were requested never to give up caffeine again by your co-workers.

Personally I like coffee, but the stuff that employers serve doesn't even qualify as swill to me. 'Course, I like my coffee to taste good, and the stuff I make at home is (apparently) at least twice as strong as the stuff that most people consume. I'm certainly not willing to share my rather expensive coffee with people I work with, either. (I have a very strict rule about personal life vs. work life, and never the twain shall meet, if I'm lucky.) Also, I'm one of those people who drinks coffee at night to help me relax and go to sleep. Yeah, apparently I metabolize caffeine so quickly that the energy spike lasts all of a minute then straight to the mellow lethargy. Woohoo.

Thajocoth
2010-01-25, 07:53 PM
When I started with my previous employer (writing code), the office had a set time that everyone (except for one guy) would leave for the daily Starbucks run. Entire office = about 7-8 people. 3 years later, the company increased in size to over 25 people, with all the same people still being among them. Only an average of 4 people were getting their daily caffeine per day, and this was with caffeine more readily available than just the corner Starbucks! We had gotten a coffee maker for the office... The fridge was stocked with Red Bull... And one guy was even going out for tea! But on the average day, less than 20% of the company was getting their caffeine.

Today, this company is finding itself scrambling to stay afloat. Where there were once lucrative options, there's scrounging for the jobs no other company wants. They've had to stop getting Red Bull from Fresh Direct!

Don't let this happen to you! Do your part to spread the word about addiction to no-caffeine. Only you can prevent financial loss!

The above advertisement sponsored by the Coalition to Misinterpret Unrelated Data.

The Coalition to Misinterpret Unrelated Data doesn't exist. This is not an actual advertisement. The data presented is based on fact, but unrelated and misinterpreted for humor.