PDA

View Full Version : Two Handed Weapon Rogue Help (3.5)

Rosalinath
2010-01-25, 02:53 PM
As the title implies I am thinking about making a rogueish character that will focus on using big burly weapons, such as a greatsword.

First off what are the ideas behind this? I'm hoping to make her survive as long as possible, and to be good as a melee fighter but won't outpreform the average 'fighter' (yes, not the class)

Secondly what would be the best progression for this idea? best equipment? Feats?

Person_Man
2010-01-25, 03:00 PM
Books allowed? Class level? And do you want to be a strait Rogue, or just Rogue-ish?

Pharaoh's Fist
2010-01-25, 03:01 PM
TWF with a THW and armor spikes.

You may want to dip in fighter for the weapon proficiencies.

Eloel
2010-01-25, 03:26 PM
Or go THF with boot blates, elbow blades, knee blades and stuff. You still get to 'HULK SMASH' for when you're exposed, but if you catch them flatfooted, you can attack them with a billion blades for SA.

Rosalinath
2010-01-25, 05:30 PM
all books beside psionics is my usual restrictions.

I like the idea about the armor spikes, isn't there a feat or something that went with that? The idea behind it is a charger that anbushes and kills quickly. I'm also looking for an item that I could use as a suicide bomber button if i'm about to die

EnnPeeCee
2010-01-25, 05:50 PM
all books beside psionics is my usual restrictions.

I like the idea about the armor spikes, isn't there a feat or something that went with that? The idea behind it is a charger that anbushes and kills quickly. I'm also looking for an item that I could use as a suicide bomber button if i'm about to die

A staff of power is a good, albeit expensive, suicide attack.

Dragero
2010-01-25, 06:32 PM
Bag of holding + Portable hole = Boom

I learned the hard way :(

Noble Savant
2010-01-25, 06:39 PM
A necklace of fireballs explodes most nicely. Use it and reduce everyone next to you into a fine ash.

ericgrau
2010-01-25, 07:25 PM
TWF with a THW and armor spikes.

You may want to dip in fighter for the weapon proficiencies.
That's quite a good fit to the theme too. As long as you're dipping you might as well get good armor too and become strength based for up to +15 damage. Only some skills will be hampered, and dwarves can still tumble. This build seems to have plenty of damage with medium BAB and low HP, so look into weapon focus, greater magic weapon, heroism or weapon enhancement bonuses (in addition to d6 damage enchantments). Get a good con. Remember the armor spikes can be used to deal grapple damage (no penalty) or as a light weapon (-4 penalty, but you might be able to sneak attack). If you go straight rogue then I'd opportunist for more melee damage or crippling strike to debilitate your opponents. IMO crippling strike fits the theme better.

Items: boots of speed, strength, con (amulet or ioun stone), magic greatsword, magic armor spikes (weapon), armor enhancements, ring of protection, amulet of natural armor

Flickerdart
2010-01-25, 07:35 PM
You may be interested in taking a look at Incarnum, specifically Dread Carapace. The speed boost it gives you means you can jump out of cover and do a devastating charge during the surprise round.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-01-25, 07:38 PM
I'd also suggest a dip in Swordsage for Island of Blades and Assassin's Stance. The first for better flanking options, for more sneak attacks, and the latter for when you've got sneak attacks set up. You also get access to Pouncing Strike, which gives you full attack on charge, letting you max out your first-round damage output while they're still flat-footed.

If you want more physically impressive, dip Warblade instead. You still get Pouncing Strike, full BAB class so you don't take a hit there, d12 HD, and with a two-feat investment, you get Clarion Call tactical feat, which lets you declare an opponent Flanked for a full minute with a DC 20 Intimidate check. Which means Sneak Attacks.

Person_Man
2010-01-25, 08:16 PM
You may be interested in taking a look at Incarnum, specifically Dread Carapace. The speed boost it gives you means you can jump out of cover and do a devastating charge during the surprise round.

If Incarnum is allowed, then Dread Carapace is just the tip of the iceberg. Boosts to land speed, flight, Dimension Door, Hide and Move Silently, damage, to-hit, natural weapons, weird special abilities, pretty much everything you could ask for from a Tier 3ish build. But Incarnum takes a lot of work to learn, and it has a lot of mechanical intricacies. But IMO it's worth the effort.

Book Wyrm
2010-01-25, 08:50 PM
Elven Courtblade from Races of the Wild is the only two handed weapon I know of that you can use with the Weapon Finesse feat.

Seems roguish to me. Still dex focused with Power Attack and Sneak Attack providing plenty of damage.

Runestar
2010-01-25, 09:37 PM
You may want to consider playing a straight swordsage instead.

Quietus
2010-01-25, 09:45 PM
Elven Courtblade from Races of the Wild is the only two handed weapon I know of that you can use with the Weapon Finesse feat.

Seems roguish to me. Still dex focused with Power Attack and Sneak Attack providing plenty of damage.

There's also the spiked chain, of course.