PDA

View Full Version : Myers Briggs Personality

Xyk
2010-01-25, 11:26 PM
So I was fiddling around and being a little reflective. I decided to take the Myers Briggs Personality Profile (http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html) and got INTP. What did you get? Do you feel that is accurate? Discuss.

I think it's pretty much right, but I'm not sure these archetypes can be trusted fully. I did a little further research and the typical career paths for INTP did coincide with my most likely choices. Coincidence? Yeah, probably.

randman22222
2010-01-25, 11:30 PM
So I was fiddling around and being a little reflective. I decided to take the Myers Briggs Personality Profile (http://www.personalitypathways.com/type_inventory.html) and got INTP. What did you get? Do you feel that is accurate? Discuss.

I think it's pretty much right, but I'm not sure these archetypes can be trusted fully. I did a little further research and the typical career paths for INTP did coincide with my most likely choices. Coincidence? Yeah, probably.

The Myers Briggs test is a little outdated, and too categorical, according to the psych courses I've had. It tries too hard to fit people into one box or another. Doesn't do well with me, for example. I score right around 50% on the F/T bit, so some days I'll be given the INFP set of characteristics, and some days the INTP set.

There's a newer personality test that we used, called the NEO-five or summat. There are no perfect tests, but it's better than the Myers-Briggs for its flexibility.

EDIT: Looking at the four question test (:smallconfused:) you linked, I simply cannot answer the F/T question.

Syka
2010-01-25, 11:32 PM
When I took it in Fall of 2005 for a psych class, I was also INTP.

I took it again this Fall for my Organizational Behavior class and got INFJ. I can definitely see how I've changed, and the new type is pretty accurate.

Both times around I've been the only one of my type. Ironically, I went from a rare type to an even rarer type.

Temotei
2010-01-25, 11:34 PM
The rationale for this suggestion is the fact that by the time we are 3 years old, the core of our cognitive organization is well-fixed. . . although the brain continues to allow some plasticity until puberty.

This is so bullcrap.

Your personality and cognitive ability constantly develop for your whole life. It's always changing.

That said, I think I got ENTP or ENFP...it was a long time ago.

Mando Knight
2010-01-25, 11:34 PM
MBTI is, I think, a rather accurate indicator of personality when the profile is taken honestly and correctly, if you put in a reasonable amount of tolerance for borderline cases and such.

Syka
2010-01-25, 11:38 PM
Just so ya know, I've never taken a psych class where they said that Type stayed the same constantly. In fact, I've been told that (at least if you are taking it for course purposes), it's only valid for 2 years. Any longer than 2 years, the higher the chances of Type changing.

I've also been told that while it's a good general indicator of someone's personality, it is also NOT accurate for work purposes or figuring out how someone will act. Most people I know are very similar to the type they got from the test, but this doesn't mean that they can't sometimes be others.

Having a borderline score (my I/E score is very close, for instance) only means you don't tend strongly towards either one but that it is a mix.

That said, after re-reading the INFJ description...it's totally me. Tooootally.

ETA: I should add that both tests I took were the long versions, but they were formatted differently. I haven't ever taken the 4 question one, or heard of the NEO although I may take the NEO one now.

Xyk
2010-01-25, 11:39 PM
The Myers Briggs test is a little outdated, and too categorical, according to the psych courses I've had. It tries too hard to fit people into one box or another. Doesn't do well with me, for example. I score right around 50% on the F/T bit, so some days I'll be given the INFP set of characteristics, and some days the INTP set.

There's a newer personality test that we used, called the NEO-five or summat. There are no perfect tests, but it's better than the Myers-Briggs for its flexibility.

EDIT: Looking at the four question test (:smallconfused:) you linked, I simply cannot answer the F/T question.

The 4-question test seems to be fairly accurate for me, and of course there are borderline cases like yourself. It is so much less time-consuming than the 75 question ones and the ridiculous NEO one which I did not spend much time looking for.

Temotei
2010-01-25, 11:43 PM
The 4-question test seems to be fairly accurate for me, and of course there are borderline cases like yourself. It is so much less time-consuming than the 75 question ones and the ridiculous NEO one which I did not spend much time looking for.

Tests, whether standardized or not, aren't sufficient to figure out personality or intelligence...or pretty much anything but memorization and comprehension of certain material.

Xyk
2010-01-25, 11:45 PM
Nah, it's just for lolz. It is probably impossible to truly capture one's true self on paper except possibly in a lengthy autobiography, but these help us to categorize ourselves and possibly figure ourselves out a little bit. Plus I find it amusing.

randman22222
2010-01-25, 11:46 PM

Meh. Question of accuracy. When you stray from categories, and approach percentages, you'll be able to get much more accurate descriptions of a perceived personality, because of the flexibility they offer. Rigidity just isn't a smart way to look at a personality.

Might I ask what's so ridiculous about the NEO Five?

Xyk
2010-01-25, 11:50 PM
Meh. Question of accuracy. When you stray from categories, and approach percentages, you'll be able to get much more accurate descriptions of a perceived personality, because of the flexibility they offer. Rigidity just isn't a smart way to look at a personality.

Might I ask what's so ridiculous about the NEO Five?

The only one I found was really really long. Again, I didn't look too hard.

randman22222
2010-01-25, 11:52 PM
The only one I found was really really long. Again, I didn't look too hard.

Hmm. As I recall, the one we took was quite long as well. :smallconfused:

The most accurate test of a personality takes a lifetime to complete.
Or it should.

OverdrivePrime
2010-01-25, 11:55 PM
The super-long one is accurate for most cases, and in my opinion, worth taking to help gain a better understanding of yourself and others.

I'm an almost textbook example of an ENFP, though on rare occasions I drift toward INFJ (but never get there).

RebelRogue
2010-01-26, 12:49 AM
I'm INTP. I remember doing a more elaborate internet test of it some time ago with the same result.

Icewalker
2010-01-26, 12:52 AM
Well, the longer the more accurate assuming equally well made structure of questioning...

Yeh, it makes for a good rough approximation. We'll get to the point where we can do more complete mapping eventually of course, but this is just a very vague psychological evaluation, certainly not definite, and certainly not predictive, just descriptive in a general sense of the kind of person you are. Took it quite recently, forget which I was...

INTP, I believe, which I think is pretty apt.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-01-26, 08:18 AM
For me, INFJ, borderline INTJ.

Tequila Sunrise
2010-01-26, 08:59 AM
I've been INTJ since I was a teen, when I discovered the Myers-Briggs test while writing a paper on Carl Jung. I'd say INTJ is pretty accurate for me, at least judging by how the test results describe that type. I'm definitely introverted, thinking and judging.

Quincunx
2010-01-26, 09:09 AM
If someone finds a nice (50-ish question) test for the five personality traits quiz, please do link it. The one I had bookmarked is long gone, and I rather liked it, especially seeing people squirm out of being labeled neurotic or not.

Three of my letters are at or better than 85% preference, but the last. . .I believe I've projected the wrong letter at you, the forum-goers.

[EDIT: Ah, the supposedly rare INblankblanks swarm over these test result self-reporting threads, with their need to classify. Moff Chumley was onto something when he said that a true geek feels the need to always refine the definition.]

Mando Knight
2010-01-26, 09:53 AM
[EDIT: Ah, the supposedly rare INblankblanks swarm over these test result self-reporting threads, with their need to classify. Moff Chumley was onto something when he said that a true geek feels the need to always refine the definition.]

Yes, we are... (INT J/P. Can never seem to really decide) :smalltongue:

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 10:39 AM
I've taken it a few times and usually gotten INTJ (I got INTP once or twice). I think it describes me pretty accurately.

KuReshtin
2010-01-26, 11:01 AM
Hmmm.. I got ISTP.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-26, 11:17 AM
ENFP.
After reading up on it, I can agree, really.

Reinholdt
2010-01-26, 12:56 PM
ISFJ.
I judge you. Internally!

Grey Paladin
2010-01-26, 01:12 PM
ENTJ. It fits me perfectly but my E side only fully comes out when I'm angry/full of righteous indignation.

skywalker
2010-01-26, 02:30 PM
Taken a few of these. Got INTJ back in high school. Took one about a year and a half ago and got ENFP. I remember specifically because all the attributes had changed except for N. But the only one of the four categories I've never scored into was "Guardian."

N is my only strong result, and even it has gotten weaker. I scored exactly 50/50 on T/F and pretty close on to that on P/J, with P slightly higher. I don't know what that says about me. I guess I'm pretty balanced in my approach to making decisions, and whether or not one needs to be made on a case by case basis. Of course, the fact that I'm an extrovert, and sometimes show people my judging function (which is exactly 50/50) means that I can be very, very confusing to people when they meet me, because they have no idea how to place me. This seems fairly accurate.

We had one of these threads before. I wonder where we put it?

Looking into this "NEO-five" now...

Flickerdart
2010-01-26, 02:46 PM
INTJ for me. Isn't it supposed to be the rarest type? Look how many of us are here.

Jibar
2010-01-26, 02:52 PM
Taking a test again, I'm INFP, and have been for a couple of years now.
I find it describes me well. I have my own quirks that the test does not cover, but you can't plan for everything.

Feeling kinda on my own here, no other INFPs so far.

Coincidentally the test I took, the My Personality application of Facebook, is pretty good, asking you one hundred questions and providing other facts as well. Apparently I've become more introverted and neurotic since I last did it about a year ago, so maybe University hasn't been so good to me.

Quincunx
2010-01-26, 03:01 PM
Jibar, you get half of the appointed kudos for locating the personality test I wanted; the other half are withheld for it being on Facebook where I won't be able to access it.

Grey Paladin
2010-01-26, 03:02 PM
Jibar, you get half of the appointed kudos for locating the personality test I wanted; the other half are withheld for it being on Facebook where I won't be able to access it.

There's no reason you cannot make a fake facebook. Its like having multiple emails.

The Extinguisher
2010-01-26, 03:12 PM
I looked the first question, and immediately found the text lacking.

I'm both introverted and extraverted apparently.

skywalker
2010-01-26, 04:42 PM

I can has kudos? (http://www.personal.psu.edu/~j5j/IPIP/ipipneo120.htm)

SDF
2010-01-26, 04:48 PM
I/E NTP

I consistently score close to the middle on introversion/extroversion that varies depending on my mood. It was solidly introverted when I was younger, but I clearly changed. I love alone time, but I also love hanging out and doing things with people, as well as partying from time to time.

Jibar
2010-01-26, 05:00 PM

And this comes out very similar to the Facebook test.
High Agreeableness, High Neuroticism, High Openess compared to a low Conscientiousness and low Extraversion.
The Agreeableness is actually much higher on this one, which I think is due to a higher number of questions so there's more opportunity for me to show what a hippie I am. :smalltongue:

Dragonrider
2010-01-26, 05:13 PM
I've taken this test half a dozen times in the last five years and I've always, always come up INFJ. :smalltongue: I guess that's. . . . just . . . me?

Quincunx
2010-01-26, 05:24 PM

For finding a text-only version which isn't over-stressing my connection and which displays the sub-categories, you may have extra kudos scented like the traveling kit of your favorite band.

If I were any less conscientious I'd be animalistic. Whee!

cycoris
2010-01-26, 05:41 PM

I'm an IN F/T P. I can keep you company half the time! :smalltongue:

I'm exceedingly I and N, in one mode I'm very F, in the other very T, and a bit P.

Prime32
2010-01-26, 05:56 PM
When I took it in Fall of 2005 for a psych class, I was also INTP.

I took it again this Fall for my Organizational Behavior class and got INFJ. I can definitely see how I've changed, and the new type is pretty accurate.

Both times around I've been the only one of my type. Ironically, I went from a rare type to an even rarer type.I was expecting INTP when I took the test a few years back, to be honest, but I got INFJ.

Like your case, I think I can see a shift in my personality which was taking place back then, towards being more empathic, and had forgotten to revise my expectations.

randman22222
2010-01-26, 08:06 PM

Hey! I'm an INFP. Well, IN F/T P, as I mentioned earlier.

So yes, there are people as crazy and... aggravated, to put it lightly, as you. :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2010-01-26, 09:30 PM

I have a problem with this one: by not offering a strict dichotomy, I'm much more inclined to scribble "moderate" values for almost everything, which skews my results towards average...

Xyk
2010-01-26, 11:44 PM
I decided to take that linked IPIP NEO one despite my previous ranting.

Apparently I am Introverted, Agreeable, radically varying on the Conscientiousness scale, low Neuroticism, and Open. I actually had a zero on several subtopics, which made me chuckle. Those would be Achievement-Striving, Anger, Anxiety, and Emotionality. It's like a'm a lazy robot! :smalltongue:

randman22222
2010-01-26, 11:49 PM

Apparently I am Introverted, Agreeable, radically varying on the Conscientiousness scale, low Neuroticism, and Open. I actually had a zero on several subtopics, which made me chuckle. Those would be Achievement-Striving, Anger, Anxiety, and Emotionality. It's like a'm a lazy robot! :smalltongue:

Oh no, it's Marvin the Paranoid Android. :smallsigh:

:smalltongue:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/25/Marvin-TV-3.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cb/Marvin_(HHGG).jpg

Phaedra
2010-01-27, 05:41 AM

I managed to get zero on Morality and Sympathy >.> Apparently I'm a horrible person.

This test told me I'm Introverted, Disagreeable, moderately Conscientious and Neurotic, but on the plus side, very Open to Experience. I swear I am not as bad as this makes out.

Dragonrider
2010-01-27, 10:56 AM
I was expecting INTP when I took the test a few years back, to be honest, but I got INFJ.

Like your case, I think I can see a shift in my personality which was taking place back then, towards being more empathic, and had forgotten to revise my expectations.

Yay! Someone else like me! :smallbiggrin:

Tequila Sunrise
2010-01-27, 11:29 AM
INTJ for me. Isn't it supposed to be the rarest type? Look how many of us are here.
I'm sure that certain personality types are prone to wasting copious amounts of time discussing personality types on obscure internet message boards about obscure hobby games, while others are not.

Mythestopheles
2010-01-27, 11:47 AM
I'm INTP, heavily Introverted.

The problem I have with the five aspects test, is that I don't really like scoring things based on numbers. I always feel inaccurate. Took it anyways, got:

Extraversion: 0
Agreeableness: 64
Conscientiousness: 16
Neuroticism: 41
Openness to Experience: 55

Huh, interesting.

skywalker
2010-01-28, 12:09 AM
For finding a text-only version which isn't over-stressing my connection and which displays the sub-categories, you may have extra kudos scented like the traveling kit of your favorite band.

Kudos of my very own! It's what I've always wanted!

I was high agreeableness, high extroversion, average neuroticism, low conscientiousness, and very high openness to experience. I'm willing to bet those last two combine rather frequently.

Solaris
2010-01-28, 12:42 AM
I have a problem with this one: by not offering a strict dichotomy, I'm much more inclined to scribble "moderate" values for almost everything, which skews my results towards average...

Funny how that works out.

I struck average on extroversion, focusing strongly on assertiveness, activity level, and excitement-seeking while low on gregariousness and cheerfulness. High level of agreeableness, really high on everything except cooperation. That was really low - I'm used to obeying or being obeyed, not working with people. I also scored high on conscientiousness, in the ninety-fifth percentile on dutifulness but pretty low on caution. Clearing minefields with the ol' boots tends to do away with a healthy sense of self-preservation, and I'm a noted workhorse in my battery. Average neuroticism, high on anger and depression but low on anxiety and vulnerability. I got average on openness, high on imagination and emotionality but low on artistic interest and liberalism. All in all, fairly accurate but I wouldn't say this test was terribly insightful.

The Extinguisher
2010-01-28, 01:15 AM

Wow, I did terribly on that test (I got a cheerfulness score of 2.)

But it does seem to prove some thing I thought about myself. Mostly that I want to be an extrovert, but I'm to shy and depressed to do so. And I'm highly neurotic (99 in it) and impulsive (0 in conscientiousness).

Basically, I'm just a mess. :smallsigh::smallwink:

chiasaur11
2010-01-28, 01:37 AM
Wow, I did terribly on that test (I got a cheerfulness score of 2.)

But it does seem to prove some thing I thought about myself. Mostly that I want to be an extrovert, but I'm to shy and depressed to do so. And I'm highly neurotic (99 in it) and impulsive (0 in conscientiousness).

Basically, I'm just a mess. :smallsigh::smallwink:

Join the club. Seems a fair portion of the forum got neurotic on that one.

Man, I really hope that disproves something.

EndlessWrath
2010-01-28, 02:36 AM
ENFP. I find its close.. correct on many levels.. .and some needs work. Sometimes i might be a lot more introverted. who knows. it changes up daily. The test seems to get me in general though.. so .. I approve the answers (btw this is just the majority numbers. The numbers allow you to be on both sides 50/50 is you test that way. Many of them i'll be 60/40 or 70/30.

-Wrath