PDA

View Full Version : OCD in the Playground

Teutonic Knight
2010-01-26, 04:34 AM
"I'm OCDelightful!" -Hannelore's shirt, QC

Pretty sure this hasn't been done before, and I hope I'm not breaking any violation. Just being cautious.

Anyway, I was once told that everyone probably has some minor form of OCD. That's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, where you bother with things other people consider trivial or meaningless and you become agitated or anxious if the thing is not fixed to your liking. Just curious about other people: if you are, or might be, what to do have OCD over?

Me, I make sure books are all pushed in on shelves and make sure the water when making ice is even all around. I have to listen to music to concentrate. I always have to sit in awkward position, life leaning to the side on the armrest or putting one foot the chair with the other wrapped around it. There's more but I can't remember everything I do funny. Some of it might just be personal habit, but at this point I can't tell anymore.

Temotei
2010-01-26, 04:42 AM
I have little things, like always turning off lights when I leave a room, and I think about it if I don't (obsessive thinking, but not necessarily a strong compulsion).

I also push in the books on my bookshelf.

If something bends or is damaged, I try for minutes/hours to make it go back to normal.

My handwriting has to be perfect. I write like a girl. Better than a girl, often.

My spelling has to be perfect. I obsess over not spelling something right if I'm not sure.

What's funny is that I just took a test on this in psychology. Psychological disorders. :smallbiggrin:

Totally Guy
2010-01-26, 04:50 AM
When I was doing my christmas shopping I wanted to buy a series of Monk (the OCD detective show) for my younger brother. I didn't know which one so I read the blurbs to see if the premise changes at all.

But I made sure to put them all back in a chaotic order. Well they were chaotic when I started, but I didn't line them up nicely. Bwa ha ha.

Yarram
2010-01-26, 06:33 AM
I step in patterns on tiled floors, and walk in an abnormal manner every now and again before I realize what I'm doing then stop myself(e.g. exaggerating how high I need to lift my legs)... Especially when I'm talking to someone, which has created social awkwardness for me in the past... I can't stand to be near a tiled pattern that isn't perfect in some manner.

I also wreck patterns, but that's not compulsive... Just for the lulz:smallbiggrin:, like if books are ordered by colour, I'll insert a randomly different colour somewhere off to the side. Exactly in the middle is bad though for some reason. I can't explain.

Nothing extreme though. I have no cleaning or ordering compulsions, just patterns.

EDIT:

If something bends or is damaged, I try for minutes/hours to make it go back to normal.
You and I would make a great team my friend. I bend/damage (invaluable that belong to me) things that I'm holding without even noticing sometimes...:smallbiggrin:

Dogmantra
2010-01-26, 08:16 AM
Oh, I have so many of these. If I touch one side of my face, I have to touch the other. Anything on my desk must be put there by me, or I move it back. I can then go on to move the thing to exactly the same place and be fine. If I spell a word incorrectly or one of the letters looks kinda funny I cross out the whole word and rewrite it. I have actually filled entire lines with crossing outs of silly words.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-01-26, 09:20 AM
Oh, I have so many of these. If I touch one side of my face, I have to touch the other..

I've got that, but all self touching has to be symmetrical and touching on other people has to be symmetrical/patterned. It really confuses people who I brush up against that notice it :smallfrown:

I also count syllables, though generally only when talking to someone. If it comes up as an odd number I get all distressed. So I add pants on the end of my sentence to fix things up (or do a nervous laugh with the right number therein)

Hehehe, I'm a freak ^^

wxdruid
2010-01-26, 11:19 AM
I'm picky about some things.

My closet is arranged in a certain order, PT clothes, work clothes, civilian clothes then all the rest with the blue work uniform at the end (probably because I dislike it).

My books are arranged just so and every time I move, I arrange them all over. Sometimes I don't finish, but I also tend towards being lazy and I own a lot of books.

I keep lists of my collections: coins, DVDs, books, beanie babies, comic books.

My DVD's are arranged in ABC order. catlover always wanted to put them back wrong and I can't stand that, so she has a set of shelves for children's DVDs and she isn't supposed to touch mine and I ignore her disorderly collection.

Items in my kitchen (pots/pans/silverware/plates/etc) are arranged in the cabinets in a very certain way. If they aren't there, I get annoyed. When I reach into a cabinet I expect something I'm looking for to be exactly in that spot.

But, if you look at my house, you'd never guess it because I have so much stuff.

At work, my computer monitors have to be at the right angle and I keep my records online a certain way.

I let myself control these things because I know there are other things I can't control (such as the weather or other people).

Jacklu
2010-01-26, 11:52 AM
Jacklu has to deal with some annoying OCD ticks. Nothing that has ever caused a real disruption to my every day life, but certainty enough to cause embarrassment in some situations. Most notable is my need to say the word "sneeze" every time I sneeze. Has to be done out loud. It can be troublesome...

Mythestopheles
2010-01-26, 11:59 AM
I've got that, but all self touching has to be symmetrical and touching on other people has to be symmetrical/patterned. It really confuses people who I brush up against that notice it :smallfrown:

I do that too! I get agitated if I touch something with one hand more than the other. I also tend to put things in order, sometimes an order only recognized by me.

Sneak
2010-01-26, 02:36 PM
It bothers me a lot when patterns don't line up. For example, if I'm in a car and the noises of the windshield wipers and the turn signal aren't in time, it frustrates me. For another example, it bothers me when light fixtures on the ceiling aren't placed evenly within the pattern on the ceiling.

Also, when I'm at home, I can only start or stop studying/working if the time ends in either :15, :30, :45, or :00 (for example, 4:15, 5:30, 6:45, or 7:00).

bluewind95
2010-01-26, 03:36 PM
Symmetry. I can stand asymmetrical touching, but I will be uncomfortable. But lack of symmetry bugs me so, so much. I've been known to re-arrange things so they're symmetrical. Also I really can't stand seeing cables squished by something else. Among other silly things, like my inability to sleep properly in a bed with an unfamiliar scent.

SDF
2010-01-26, 04:44 PM
Most people have ticks, but you usually have to waste several hours a day on ticks before it is diagnosed as actual OCD.

Hmm... I can't really think of any off the top of my head, for myself.

Temotei
2010-01-26, 04:48 PM
Oh yeah. If I tap my fingers on a desk, I have to tap in a pattern in this ratio (L=Left; R=Right):

L1, R2, L1
R1, L2, R1
R1, L2, R1
L1, R2, L1

Sometimes I tap in twos and fours, or even threes and sixes. But it bothers me to no end if I don't finish the pattern.

Castaras
2010-01-26, 04:51 PM
I get twitchy when music is severely out of tune, or if someone's singing a song at the wrong octave to how I've heard it - I have to sing along with them and "move" it to the right octave. I can't sing something at a different octave to it's normal one unless I've heard it sung that way before. I get twitchy when people can't keep a beat to music (including myself), and just carry on clapping completely out of time.

<.<

Teutonic Knight
2010-01-26, 06:27 PM
If I spell a word incorrectly or one of the letters looks kinda funny I cross out the whole word and rewrite it. I have actually filled entire lines with crossing outs of silly words.

I hear ya.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-01-26, 07:44 PM
Oh yeah. If I tap my fingers on a desk, I have to tap in a pattern in this ratio (L=Left; R=Right):

L1, R2, L1
R1, L2, R1
R1, L2, R1
L1, R2, L1

Sometimes I tap in twos and fours, or even threes and sixes. But it bothers me to no end if I don't finish the pattern.

I've been doing that since I was 9 o.o

Can ... can I marry this thread? I feel all somewhat normal and everything :smallsmile:

varthalon
2010-01-26, 07:50 PM
Cool thread...

When playing D&D I keep all my dice in order of #of sides and on their highest number.

When eating I always eat everything of one type of item before touching anything else... finish off all the peas before starting and finishing off all the mashed potatos before starting on the lambchop for example

I generally am pretty slow to clean up after myself but once I decide I'm sick of the clutter I'll spend all day sorting, cleaning, and organizing things.

wxdruid
2010-01-26, 07:52 PM
When I'm doing cross stitch, I tend to do my stitches a certain way so the back looks very organized. On the wolf picture I did recently, the background was done in vertical rows and the wolves were done in horizontal rows of little X's.

Moff Chumley
2010-01-26, 08:18 PM
For those of you who have ever used Reason (music software), I have a large number of compulsive tendencies in that. 1) I have to initialize and reprogram each synth or effect from scratch, even if that implies copying existing preset settings.
2) Everything must go in a combinator, which must be properly labeled.
3) The combinator must be 100% self contained: no external routing.
4) I may never use Thor's built in effects: only external ones.
5) Every track needs to have 2% random quantization. This is REALLY important to me. :smallredface:
6) Even on a song with straight time, everything gets 51% swing, at minimum.

I also have many of the tendencies described above. :smallsigh:

Trog
2010-01-26, 08:29 PM
*pokes his scaly head into the thread*

Trog's betting this thread will get a LOT of views.

*leaves*

*Returns and reaches into the thread nudging something out of place. Leaves again*

Pyrian
2010-01-26, 08:33 PM
0123465789 :smallamused:

Moff Chumley
2010-01-26, 08:51 PM
OH GODDAMIT TROG :smallfurious:

Moofaa
2010-01-26, 11:26 PM
Cool thread...
When eating I always eat everything of one type of item before touching anything else... finish off all the peas before starting and finishing off all the mashed potatos before starting on the lambchop for example

I hear you on this one. Also I dislike food touching other food, and get very agitated when people mix their foods, like corn/peas going into mashed potatoes. I can't stand it and feel like the universe is about to explode.

Also all vegetables have to be eaten from a small bowl. I really dislike eating them when they come from a plate.

I get a lot of wierd looks from people when they see I only ever have one item at a time on my plate, eat it entirely, then get another item. Theres only a few exceptions. Also when dining out and ordering mashed potatoes I sometimes ask for them on a side-dish.

Speaking of which, I can't stand dirty dishes in the sink. Clean ones in the drying rack I couldn't care less about. And when washing dishes (hand-wash, cant stand dishwashers) the water MUST be hot enough to cause some amount of pain (doesnt bother me, makes my hands all red, other people complain/stare). Utensils MUST be washed first, including spatulas/ladles that are still in pots/pans that most people would wait to get to. After that comes plates, with smaller ones first. Then glasses/mugs, then moving on to bigger things, with the dirtiest being last.

Washing things out of order makes me agitated, which is common when my dad is eating and he takes FOREVER to finish, and I already start doing dishes and don't want to wait for that last #@$@#$$@#ing fork/knife/plate/cup combo hes holding up.

My OCDness doesn't expand to include much of anything else. I cant stand actual filth, but clutter is ok as long as its my own. My desk is a disaster-zone but if anyone else touches anything I will notice and become agitated. Also I don't include "dust" in the "filth" category, as I never dust anything unless I am using it or it otherwise becomes an inconvenience.

Symetry in touching things also gets me. If I touch one side of my face, I must touch the other. My toes are like that too, and fingers to a lesser extent. If I touch one toe I must do so to all the others, even making sure I apply the same amount of pressure to each, or I have to start over.

Or at least I feel like I do, none of these symptons actualy go to the true OCD extent of dominating my entire day with re-washing all the dishes in the cabinets or anything.

randman22222
2010-01-26, 11:38 PM
I get twitchy when music is severely out of tune, or if someone's singing a song at the wrong octave to how I've heard it - I have to sing along with them and "move" it to the right octave. I can't sing something at a different octave to it's normal one unless I've heard it sung that way before. I get twitchy when people can't keep a beat to music (including myself), and just carry on clapping completely out of time.

<.<

THIS.

Tone deaf people annoy me so. I keep it in, though. I can't possibly expect everyone to be able to match pitches...

Oh, and if I'm playing music off of my computer or mp3 player, IT MUST BE PAUSED IF I LEAVE. MY MUSIC IS NOT ALLOWED TO CONTINUE PLAYING IF I CAN'T HEAR IT.

...I amuse myself at times... :smalltongue:

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-27, 01:14 AM
*Returns and reaches into the thread nudging something out of place. Leaves again*:smallbiggrin:

Krade
2010-01-27, 02:08 AM
Utensils MUST be washed first, including spatulas/ladles that are still in pots/pans that most people would wait to get to. After that comes plates, with smaller ones first. Then glasses/mugs, then moving on to bigger things, with the dirtiest being last.

Washing things out of order makes me agitated, which is common when my dad is eating and he takes FOREVER to finish, and I already start doing dishes and don't want to wait for that last #@$@#$$@#ing fork/knife/plate/cup combo hes holding up.

It's truly frightening how similar your order is to mine. You forgot bowls, by the way. They go right after utensils and before plates. Other than that, you have my exact order if dishwashing. Scary.

Even the agitation when someone drops something in the sink that I'm either not on yet or have already done. Are you sure you aren't me?

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-27, 02:32 AM
Why smaller items before larger? This seems backwards to me. Wash the big stuff then stack the smaller stuff on top of it as it comes out. Or if you're putting it into a drainer and not drying it immediately, then the big stuff dries first so that you can then put away the larger dishes and then stack the smaller ones on top of them as you get to them. :smallconfused:

Krade
2010-01-27, 03:08 AM
You must use some kind of super huge dish rack then, Zeb. After the utensils, bowls and plates, I'm pretty much out of room. I'll then either hand dry them all or take a break and come back to it. Then the cups and tupperware. Then the big pots and pans.

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-27, 03:17 AM
You must use some kind of super huge dish rack then, Zeb. After the utensils, bowls and plates, I'm pretty much out of room. I'll then either hand dry them all or take a break and come back to it. Then the cups and tupperware. Then the big pots and pans.No, that's not what I mean. I mean that you specify small plates then big plates. Why? It makes more sense, to me, to wash big plates, then small plates, then put away big plates, then small plates. Because the big plates/bowls have to go on the bottom of the stack in the cabinet, and so must go in first.

Krade
2010-01-27, 03:26 AM
Big plates and small plates? I pretty much only have one size to deal with. I don't recall specifying more than one size of plate. "Big Stuff" is referring only to pots and pans. The best way I can think of to describe it is an actual numbered order, so here goes:

1. Utensils: Spoons, forks, knives, sporks and spifes (or knoons:smalltongue:)
2. Bowls: Um... bowls?
3. Plates: Not anyway for me to get more specific.
5. Learn to Count: Seriously.
4. Cups: Mugs, glasses and, occasionally, shot glasses.
6. Tupperware: Those fun things that don't blow up when you put them in the microwave.
7. "Big Stuff": Pots, pans, skillets, cutting boards, calenders, thermo-nuclear devices, etc.

I think that about covers it. Any questions?

Serpentine
2010-01-27, 03:33 AM
I used to think I had a bit of OCD (and so did Dr Mum, when I was little - I counted everything. Still do, but not as much). Then I found out that my cousin really has it, and now I know all these tics and habits are way off.
Haven't been told much about my cousin's obsessions, but one example is this: You know how when you leave your house, and you're not sure whether you've locked the door, so you go back and check? Well, my cousin does that a dozen or so times before she can actually leave. She described it roughly thusly, which worked pretty well for me: things that bother normal people a bit or for a few minutes, she worries about constantly.

Zeb The Troll
2010-01-27, 03:37 AM
Speaking of which, I can't stand dirty dishes in the sink. Clean ones in the drying rack I couldn't care less about. And when washing dishes (hand-wash, cant stand dishwashers) the water MUST be hot enough to cause some amount of pain (doesnt bother me, makes my hands all red, other people complain/stare). Utensils MUST be washed first, including spatulas/ladles that are still in pots/pans that most people would wait to get to. After that comes plates, with smaller ones first. Then glasses/mugs, then moving on to bigger things, with the dirtiest being last.
Emphasis mine.

If you only have one size of plate, it doesn't matter, obviously, but most plate sets come with at least two sizes (dinner and dessert plates) and many come with three (saucers). Then if you throw in the typical household having dishes from more than one set, those will typically vary in size as well.

Dragero
2010-01-27, 07:19 AM
Open cupbourds must be closed......Or I will DIE!!!

Winter_Wolf
2010-01-27, 08:52 AM
I also wreck patterns, but that's not compulsive... Just for the lulz:smallbiggrin:, like if books are ordered by colour, I'll insert a randomly different colour somewhere off to the side. Exactly in the middle is bad though for some reason. I can't explain.

I'm gonna hazard a guess that putting the odd-color in the exact middle smacks too much of a discernible symmetrical pattern, which is why it bugs you so.

You'd drive me nuts, by the way. I have a method to my book sorting, which is not always apparent to others, but I have a suspicion that you'd probably figure it out subconsciously or intuitively then screw it up.:smalltongue:

I have this thing where my hands need to be doing something at all times. I can't just keep them still, they'll get twitchy. Typing at least keeps them occupied, otherwise the hand grip strengthener I have sees a lot of use (and the squeaky noise it makes is really irritating).

Obsessive cracking of neck and both wrists. True, if I don't keep cracking them, they hurt something fierce after a while, but it's also my understanding that the obsessive cracking is kind of a vicious cycle.

That stupid thing where I touch the bridge of my glasses to put them back into place. I'll do it even when I've just done it like 10 seconds ago.

Obsessively looking at my watch to see what time it is. I'm sure others know what I mean: go to look at the time, then it either doesn't register or it's forgotten in the split second it takes to look away from the watch. This bugs the hell out of me and yet I still do it! :smallannoyed:

Pika...
2010-01-27, 09:07 AM
"I'm OCDelightful!" -Hannelore's shirt, QC

Pretty sure this hasn't been done before, and I hope I'm not breaking any violation. Just being cautious.

Anyway, I was once told that everyone probably has some minor form of OCD. That's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, where you bother with things other people consider trivial or meaningless and you become agitated or anxious if the thing is not fixed to your liking. Just curious about other people: if you are, or might be, what to do have OCD over?

Me, I make sure books are all pushed in on shelves and make sure the water when making ice is even all around. I have to listen to music to concentrate. I always have to sit in awkward position, life leaning to the side on the armrest or putting one foot the chair with the other wrapped around it. There's more but I can't remember everything I do funny. Some of it might just be personal habit, but at this point I can't tell anymore.

Same with the shelves, music, weird positioning, and the telling anymore. Plus others of course.

I am amazed, though. I did not think the music counted as OCD. I thought that was just my imagination. Now when I see my family I can tell them "Hey, guess what, there was a reason why I kept you awake when I crammed homework!".

However, I know this might seem odd, but I am currently at a point where I actually enjoy my OCD. I have gotten it under control to the point where I do not believe it hinders my life (well, not a fraction what it used to as a kid), and I am learning to use it to my advantage while embracing it.

What was the name of that guy who discovered gravity again? Well, anyway, did you know he wrote that book in around a year? A book still used to this date, and would have probably taken multiple even longer to do as a group? Basically he locked himself in a room (was it a library I think?) for around an entire year without barely leaving, sleeping, or eating. Hence why some people believe he clearly had OCD. If I could harness it like that oh boy could I achieve stuff.

ps. ALso, when we get into said modes does anyone else on here feel a sort of thrill? Sort of action movie time-bomb is ticking adrenaline style?

PJ the Epic
2010-01-27, 10:01 PM
I used to think I had a bit of OCD (and so did Dr Mum, when I was little - I counted everything. Still do, but not as much). Then I found out that my cousin really has it, and now I know all these tics and habits are way off.
Haven't been told much about my cousin's obsessions, but one example is this: You know how when you leave your house, and you're not sure whether you've locked the door, so you go back and check? Well, my cousin does that a dozen or so times before she can actually leave. She described it roughly thusly, which worked pretty well for me: things that bother normal people a bit or for a few minutes, she worries about constantly.

I have this problem too, but I check my locks at school. It got so bad that I started writing notes on hands. Then I started to think that I had been lying to myself when I had written the notes. Now, I just don't use a locker.

But that's it. I'm about the most disorganized person ever other than that.

Oh, also, I am severly paranoid about germs. I wash my hands a ton at school.

Teutonic Knight
2010-01-31, 01:22 AM
Wow! What happened? This thread was going strong and then it just died.

Anyway, another thing I remembered was that I can't let food go unfinished. Not sure if that's OCD either.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-31, 01:31 AM
I have anti-OCD, I think.
Because I hate symmetry, I hate patterns, I love chaos and mess and disorder.

If I see things lined up neatly, I have to move something out of place.

Its awful, because my job requires me to line things up >>

kpenguin
2010-01-31, 01:37 AM
I have anti-OCD, I think.
Because I hate symmetry, I hate patterns, I love chaos and mess and disorder.

If I see things lined up neatly, I have to move something out of place.

Its awful, because my job requires me to line things up >>

How is that anti-OCD? That sounds rather obsessive and compulsive to me...

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-31, 01:44 AM
How as that OCD? That sounds rather obsessive and compulsive to me...

Its more of a preference than a compulsion.
I probably worded it wrong.

golentan
2010-01-31, 01:47 AM
My only one is with glue. When I took woodshop, I spent the entire first week peeling the caked on glue off of the bottle caps. It's the best feeling in the world when I can peel the whole thing off in a single piece. That's the only thing I can really think of.

I'm not OCD. At all.

Temotei
2010-01-31, 02:29 AM
My only one is with glue. When I took woodshop, I spent the entire first week peeling the caked on glue off of the bottle caps. It's the best feeling in the world when I can peel the whole thing off in a single piece. That's the only thing I can really think of.

I'm not OCD. At all.

OCD doesn't mean you're crazy with the disorder. You can have a minor degree of it. In fact, most people do have minor versions of it with small things. It's not a psychological disorder, technically, because it doesn't interfere with your daily life, but the disorder itself has varying levels of obsessiveness and compulsiveness.

On that note, love is often considered an obsession, because it's hard not to think of your love. :smallcool:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-31, 02:44 AM
OCD doesn't mean you're crazy with the disorder. You can have a minor degree of it. In fact, most people do have minor versions of it with small things. It's not a psychological disorder, technically, because it doesn't interfere with your daily life, but the disorder itself has varying levels of obsessiveness and compulsiveness.

On that note, love is often considered an obsession, because it's hard not to think of your love. :smallcool:

No, most people have ticks and quirks and things that bug them.
OCD is the compulsion to where its a mental disorder (hence the 'D'). When you can't stop thinking about the compulsion, or else you get frantic and unsafe to yourself and others.
Many people who claim to be OCD are not, and the term is thrown around far too much for my liking

golentan
2010-01-31, 02:44 AM

First off, the D DOES mean you're off kilter with it. Disorder, as in illness.

Secondly, no, I mean I'm not OCD. At. All. I in fact have a disorder oppositely aligned from OCD, which makes it hard to perform tasks in any sort of organized way. And no, not ADD or ADHD.

The glue thing is an extension of my love of finger work. I love the feeling of peeling or squeezing something, not because it's an obsession or compulsion, but because it feels good on my fingers and lets me focus my thoughts on the delicate task at hand rather than letting them go off on their own thing (my thoughts hurt). That's why I love my magnets too. While I can spend hours on such things, it's not a compulsion, just a way to silence my mind, like meditation but more active. The glue thing is just the best one I've found, but is impossible to do frequently... :smallfrown:

Edit: Hey, ninja'd by Madam Rabbit.

Teutonic Knight
2010-01-31, 05:05 AM
Temotei correctly stated the point I am trying to make earlier:

You can have a minor degree of it. In fact, most people do have minor versions of it with small things.

On an unrelated note, I have edited this post at least four times for grammar and proper wording. (Make that five.)

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-31, 04:57 PM
Temotei correctly stated the point I am trying to make earlier:

On an unrelated note, I have edited this post at least four times for grammar and proper wording. (Make that five.)

You cannot have a minor case of OCD. There is no such thing as "Mild" OCD. What you are speaking of is an obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, if anything.

Castaras
2010-01-31, 05:03 PM
You cannot have a minor case of OCD. There is no such thing as "Mild" OCD. What you are speaking of is an obsessive-compulsive personality disorder, if anything.

You're right in that nobody has "Mild" OCD. But nearly everyone is on the spectrum for Obsessiveness, where minor quirks are at one end, and full blown OCD is at the other end. All sorts of quirks shown here are almost certainly on the obsessive spectrum, just not actual OCD.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-01-31, 05:07 PM
You're right in that nobody has "Mild" OCD. But nearly everyone is on the spectrum for Obsessiveness, where minor quirks are at one end, and full blown OCD is at the other end. All sorts of quirks shown here are almost certainly on the obsessive spectrum, just not actual OCD.
Well, yes. I wasn't arguing that there could be somebody who didn't obsess over something.
It just irks me when people claim to have an undiagnosed mental disorder and then try to diagnose others with it as well.

golentan
2010-01-31, 05:12 PM
Well, yes. I wasn't arguing that there could be somebody who didn't obsess over something.
It just irks me when people claim to have an undiagnosed mental disorder and then try to diagnose others with it as well.

God, me too. I hate it when people call themselves words related to my condition especially. I nearly punched out the TV when a Law and Order episode used the condition as a plot point and got it wrong, as well (the stereotypical view rather than anything based on fact, and instant diagnosis because of a minor tick). Made me mad as hell.

Reinholdt
2010-01-31, 06:07 PM
You know... this ironically seems very obsessive compulsive to me. :smallwink: :smalltongue:
I kid! I kid!
Please don't hurt me...

The Extinguisher
2010-01-31, 06:19 PM
I'm pretty sure I don't actually have OCD, but I have some compulsive quirks, I guess. I like to chew on things when I get bored. Pens, sleeves, fingernails, anything that's around me. It bothers me more to not have something in my mouth.

But that's just my own particular brand of neurosis.

cycoris
2010-01-31, 06:47 PM
Oh, and if I'm playing music off of my computer or mp3 player, IT MUST BE PAUSED IF I LEAVE. MY MUSIC IS NOT ALLOWED TO CONTINUE PLAYING IF I CAN'T HEAR IT.

This, so so so much. But I also will skip back to the beginning of the song every time I pause my music.

I can't stand it when volume controls with numbers are on something that's not a multiple of five.

I only start or stop working on something when the number of minutes is at a multiple of five, though fifteen is preferable.

I have to put a space after a full stop, even if it's the final sentence of a paragraph and no one will ever know.

It bugs me every time 'font' is incorrectly substituted for 'typeface'.

I can't stand open cupboards or drawers.

My pants must be folded in thirds, not halves or quarters.

I'm sure that there are more, but that's all that I can think of at the moment.

ScottishDragon
2010-01-31, 09:52 PM
I like to peel dried glue off of glue bottles
When i walk in sqares in the sidewalk I always time my steps to take,oh maybe 2 steps in each square.

Serpentine
2010-02-01, 12:19 AM
Heh... The "throwing around OCD" thing is pretty much what I was getting at with my sister :smalltongue: I used to talk quite a lot about my supposedly "OCD" tendencies (I count everything, but normally only up to 16 or divisible by 4, and often in French for some reason. This includes stairs, muscle clenches (I'm counting the curles or squeezed of my toes right now), peas on a fork, steps per slab of concrete, kisses, thrusts in happy-funtime-activities, notes in music, and so on; I look for even numbers wherever I can; I generally feel more comfortable with symmetry and when things have their place, even if they don't stay in that place... Well crap, I'm doing it again, see?!), but then finding out about my cousin made me realise just how silly it is. I take a couple of steps further down the road so I step road - gutter slab bottom - gutter slab top - path, but I don't freak out if I step on a line (I just feel kinda "itchy"). I get up at night if I think I forgot to do something, I don't keep on getting up because I'm constantly worried about it. I might have "OCD tendencies", but it really pales into insignificance compared with the real thing.

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-02, 01:43 AM
It bugs me every time 'font' is incorrectly substituted for 'typeface'.I was honestly not aware there was a difference. I suspect most people don't know there's a difference, let alone what it is.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-02, 01:48 AM
Well, a typeface is a group of fonts that are similar, aren't they?

Mando Knight
2010-02-02, 01:52 AM
I can't stand it when volume controls with numbers are on something that's not a multiple of five.

*Takes the volume control, and kicks it up to eleven (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UpToEleven)* :smallcool::smalltongue:

Krade
2010-02-02, 02:26 PM
I have to put a space after a full stop, even if it's the final sentence of a paragraph and no one will ever know.

So did anyone else verify this claim by searching through her previous posts or am I just completely insane?

CrimsonAngel
2010-02-02, 06:02 PM
I can't step on certain tiles at the mall or school.