PDA

View Full Version : GITP Monster Competition Voting Thread (My Immortal)

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-26, 07:28 AM
Voting For My Immortal
http://th03.deviantart.net/fs39/300W/f/2008/328/f/4/f4e0d6fb8ea154407d81964860d33066.png (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7629372#post7629372)

The contest has ended and voting begun. See the entries below to vote for your choice.
(Note: As the poll option is still down just post your choice in this thread.)

Like all the GITP Monster Competitions, voting is open to any and all.

Voting will end at Midnight (EST) of January 31st.

_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

Long Lifelines

Asherah, Spirit of the Shores (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7749160&postcount=13)
Aspect of Leviathan (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7634731&postcount=3)
Corrupted Offshoot of Yggdrasil (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7637774&postcount=4)
Immortal Frawg (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7657364&postcount=6)
Karnak the Everfrozen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7654496&postcount=5)
Magypsy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7658293&postcount=7)
Rook, The Greymount Fortress (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7703011&postcount=9)
Sandalphon, the Hand of God (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7663086&postcount=8)
The Slender Man (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7707638&postcount=11)
Unbound Elemental Spirit (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7706149&postcount=10)
Zuni Warrior Fetish Doll (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7755171&postcount=14)

JoshuaZ
2010-01-26, 10:14 AM
My vote goes to The Slender Man.

The Tygre
2010-01-26, 10:25 AM
No. No. Dammit, Vorpal, this is not fair. How can I only vote for one of these? I demand the ability to cast a vote for all entries. For God's sake, Vorpal, Leviathan? Yggradsil? Sandalphon? The Slender Man? -The Slender Man-? I can't possibly choose from this much win!

Sir Shadow
2010-01-26, 10:53 AM
I vote for the Rook with Zuni Warrior Fetish Doll in a close second.

Dust
2010-01-26, 11:51 AM
I'm fond of the Corrupted Offshoot of Yggdrasil, myself.

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-26, 12:00 PM
My vote's going to the Zuni Warrior Fetish Doll.

Iamyourking
2010-01-26, 12:27 PM
The best choice is of course Sandalphon, I demand that you all change your votes to him.

Allan Surgite
2010-01-26, 12:38 PM
Vote: Sandalphon, The Hand of God.

So~

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-26, 12:46 PM
The best choice is of course Sandalphon, I demand that you all change your votes to him.
Classy :smallsigh:

Iamyourking
2010-01-26, 12:48 PM
It's sarcasm, although I wouldn't mind if people did do that.

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-26, 12:53 PM
It's sarcasm, although I wouldn't mind if people did do that.

No, sarcasm is a characterisation used in a manner that expresses contempt. You're simply being ironic. :smallamused:

Unless, of course, you're either angry with us for not voting for you, or feel that your entry is not worth our time to vote for? :smalltongue:

Iamyourking
2010-01-26, 01:13 PM
Fine, it's ironic.

Sir Shadow
2010-01-26, 01:34 PM
or conceited
<_<
>_>

Admiral Squish
2010-01-26, 03:14 PM
Rook all the way!

I was considering placing my vote elsewhere, just to make the rest of your defeats not QUITE so crushing. But this battle is shaping up to be close than expected.

BisectedBrioche
2010-01-26, 03:20 PM
What battle?

Iamyourking
2010-01-26, 03:24 PM
Rook all the way!

I was considering placing my vote elsewhere, just to make the rest of your defeats not QUITE so crushing. But this battle is shaping up to be close than expected.

Considering you're only tied with me, I wouldn't say that you're going to crush anyone.

The_Squid
2010-01-26, 03:26 PM
I cast my vote for Sandalphon!

strawberryman
2010-01-26, 03:58 PM
My vote goes to Corrupted Offshoot of Yggdrasil.

jet082
2010-01-26, 05:12 PM
I'll place a vote for Slender Man

waterpenguin43
2010-01-26, 09:34 PM
I made a poorly thought out entry, so my vote goes to Aserah.

Kallisti
2010-01-27, 01:22 AM
The Slender Man, with too many close seconds to name.

...so much win...so many entries...so few votes.

Bhu
2010-01-27, 06:51 AM
Asherah for me

Iamyourking
2010-01-27, 04:28 PM
Not the most exciting poll is it. More people need to start voting so we can break up all these ties. (Preferably for me of course)

Sir Shadow
2010-01-27, 09:14 PM
at this point:

Rook - 2
CooY - 2
ZWFD - 2
Asherah - 2
Sandalphon - 3
Slender man - 3

Iamyourking
2010-01-27, 10:55 PM
So what happens if I draw with Slender Man?

JoshuaZ
2010-01-27, 11:08 PM

I don't think you want his attention.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-27, 11:23 PM

Something like this. (http://jafool.wordpress.com/2010/01/06/game-over-2/[/url)

Also, my vote goes to Slender Man.

Sir Shadow
2010-01-27, 11:58 PM
If there is a tie, I believe it's VT that casts the final vote...

Also, this reminds me... I won the first tie ever in the GitP Monster Competition...

Schylerwalker
2010-01-28, 01:19 PM
Again, my vote goes for my own monster (Leviathan/Aspect), though it doesn't look like I have a very good chance of winning at this point. :smallamused:

Fortuna
2010-01-28, 02:40 PM
I can't bear to see my concept die in the archives of GiTP Monster Competitions! I have no choice but to vote for the Corrupted Offshoot of Yggdrasil.

Hyooz
2010-01-28, 03:01 PM
I'm afraid drawing his attention by creating him in DnD and then not voting for him would truly earn me the Slender Man's ire.

So I vote Slender Man.

Iamyourking
2010-01-28, 03:27 PM
Do you people really want a creepy cosmic horror to win? Vote Sandalphon for the sake of goodness. He'll also step on Slender Man for you.

Spate
2010-01-28, 05:59 PM
Actually, I prefer creepy cosmic horrors.

I'm going to vote for the Slender Man.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-28, 06:05 PM
Do you people really want a creepy cosmic horror to win? Vote Sandalphon for the sake of goodness. He'll also step on Slender Man for you.

Some of us view the score a little differently. (http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Image:JoiningTheWinningTeam.png):smalltongue:

Debihuman
2010-01-28, 06:15 PM
This was a great contest and kudos to all the contestants. Asherah was really good and so was Sandalphon but I also want to say that despite its problems, Karnak the Everfrozen was a really good concept and had a lot of good features .However, I'm gonna be a bit selfish and vote for the Zuni Warrior Fetish Doll.

Debby

Iamyourking
2010-01-28, 06:24 PM
Some of us view the score a little differently. (http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Image:JoiningTheWinningTeam.png):smalltongue:

He doesn't have to be winning, he's ahead of Sandalphon by two votes but that can be made up. Furthermore, I have it on good terms that the Slender Man is a cad who does not deserve your votes:smallwink:.

I guess that placing second on my first competition wouldn't be too bad, and I will admit that the Slender Man is third on the list of competitors I'd vote for.

JerichoPenumbra
2010-01-28, 07:09 PM
My vote goes to Leviathan.

Nhoj
2010-01-28, 07:20 PM
I have to vote for Zuni Warrior Fetish Doll.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-28, 07:49 PM
He doesn't have to be winning, he's ahead of Sandalphon by two votes but that can be made up. Furthermore, I have it on good terms that the Slender Man is a cad who does not deserve your votes:smallwink:.

I guess that placing second on my first competition wouldn't be too bad, and I will admit that the Slender Man is third on the list of competitors I'd vote for.

To be fair, I just had the perfect opportunity to use that image and couldn't resist. Also, Sandalphon would probably get my vote after Slendy.

Sir Shadow
2010-01-28, 11:11 PM
Well, I only vote for my own creature if I'd never use any of the others.

How I vote in order of importance:
1. Would I use it?
2. Is it well thought out/interesting?
3. Does it fit the theme?

Sandalphon is interesting, but I'd never use him... I almost never play epics, I tend to kill off my games with "happily ever after" or "the world imploded" before the PCs get to 30.

Iamyourking
2010-01-28, 11:34 PM
Well that's the problem, since Sandalphon isn't meant to be used directly; if he was I'd have optimised him more. In fact, I originally intended to make him CR 77 but decided that would be too tricky.

Now I'm wondering how many people didn't vote for him because he's too powerful to use in most games. I hoped I could avoid that since neither of the adventure hooks I provided actually involved fighting him, or for that matter anyone.

Fortuna
2010-01-28, 11:42 PM
But why stat him as anything other than "he hits you, you die, no save" if you intend him never to be fought? Things that you don't fight with or against have Plot in all stats, simple as that.

JoshuaZ
2010-01-29, 12:09 AM
But why stat him as anything other than "he hits you, you die, no save" if you intend him never to be fought? Things that you don't fight with or against have Plot in all stats, simple as that.

There encounter types that rely on entities other than direct combat that still have relevant stats. Bluff, Sense Motive and Intimidate as well as the various knowledge skills can all be directly relevant. So while D&D 3.5 is primarily a combat game, that doesn't make non-combat situations not relevant. So is that sort of thing worth stating up for combat if never intended for that use? I don't know.

Iamyourking
2010-01-29, 12:13 AM
Well, my primary reason for making him was just to make him. Whether he gets used or not never really entered my mind since I got inspired by the last competition to make a giant angel who punches people in the face and that's what I did. In addition, I'm not a big fan of Plot powered monsters; if I'm running the first scenario I think I should know exactly what he can do just to make it fair for the person trying to escape. Ultimatly though, what I intended when making him was 1. He's cool and fun to make and 2. He can play a role in a higher level campaign with a focus on the planes.
Obviously being usable in most campaigns with a minimum of adaptation is the mark of a good creature and I will admit that he suffers in this regard. However, it is not the only factor that goes into making a good creature; and I'm of the opinion that several other entries in this are good creatures without being particularily usable.

Edit: Good point there, that was part of what I had in mind when I was explaining myself. In any event, this is starting to derail the thread so we should probably stop it. Maybe I can still eke out a victory over Slender Man, and if I don't then getting second is some consolation.

Amiel
2010-01-29, 01:43 AM
Another vote for the Slender Man, my good sir.
Followed by the Zuni Fetish Doll.

Iamyourking
2010-01-29, 02:08 AM
I don't think you get to vote for two entries.

Amiel
2010-01-29, 02:14 AM
Some people have done so in this thread.

Of course the first named is the primary vote.

dethkruzer
2010-01-29, 02:14 AM
my vote goes to Sandalphon

sigurd
2010-01-29, 02:16 AM
I enjoyed reading the entries but my absolute and clear choice is

Asherah, Spirit of the Shores.

Well done Sir Shadow.

Sigurd

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-29, 05:29 AM
Anyone can give 2nd, 3rd, 11th favorites. Only their first pick however is counted.

Admiral Squish
2010-01-29, 05:55 AM
Ah, well. Seems like winning four months in a row just wasn't in the cards.

Iamyourking
2010-01-29, 08:21 AM
For what it's worth, I would have voted for you if we were barred for voting for ourselves.

Stycotl
2010-01-29, 02:54 PM
zuni fetish doll

followed by: asherah, and slender man.

Sir Shadow
2010-01-29, 04:29 PM
Ah, everyone likes mine, but it's just not enough to top their picks, ah well.

As for Sandalphon, I understand those plot hooks, but those are still high level hooks. My characters, generally, aren't going to be fighting the forces of Asmodeus...

Sandalphon could be good entity to just have around as a source of exposition or just a deus ex machina, but there are already so many things like that already... At least for the level of play most of my campaigns revolve around. And like it even said in the entry, he doesn't really pay attention to mortals.

EDIT: if it makes you feel better Squish, I did vote for the Rook :3 I would definitely use him... and just might in the near future.

Sir Shadow
2010-01-30, 10:16 PM
( Bump for great justice! And a few more hours voting... )

Lvl45DM!
2010-01-31, 08:53 AM
I can no longer vote can i? theres no date in the time at the bottom so i dont know if im 8 hours late or what

But i vote for Aserah cos she has upward movement possible

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-31, 08:59 AM
It's midnight of the 31st, not the 30th, so everyone still has like 15 more hours.

Debihuman
2010-01-31, 09:09 AM
FYI, I finally got around to PEACHing the Slender Man on the other thread. Can it be corrected after the contest?

Debby

DracoDei
2010-01-31, 06:38 PM
Zuni Warrior Fetish Doll: Theme not emphasized. 50% chance mentioned in fluff, but will save in crunch (prefer the way the crunch does it obviously, but that is no reason to have a contradiction).

Unbound Elemental Spirit: Theme emphasized slightly. Skill line incomplete.

IMMORTAL FRAWG: Size doesn't match the original character. Will decide if I care about that fact later. Mind Blank does a lot more than protect against mind/emotion reading, and that mis-match annoys me. Explaining why no-one has killed it yet is something that seems lacking. Might vote for this if nothing later in the list fits the themes better (and it is better than the first two).

The Slender Man: Shame that picture in the woods is so big... I had to view it in a separate window in order to see him... Still, nothing you could reasonably have done about that. Intro fluff is nice, but should probably go before the name... that place in the structure is the usual place for "what the PCs see when they first see this monster".

that creature cannot be affected again by the Slender Mans’s despair ability for 24 hours.
Spelling Error.
Also, you are mixing up itallics and bolding to denote the special abilities. Bolding is correct, but you should at least have picked on and stuck with it.

or questions are asked about him via a scrying spell
Should be via a divination spell.
the body of either ranger was never discovered.

the body of either ranger was never discovered.
Should be "neither".

The first was the man who told you about this creature. Smart adventurers will simply leave. Though, it may be too late to flee. The party had just learned that while his attacks tend to be random, there is some evidence he holds a grudge against those who know about him.
Tense and/or person seem garbled here.
The very obscurity of him keeps the flavor of "immortal" from showing through as strongly as it might.

Sandalphon, the Hand of God:
He has a sort of grudging respect for Alastor, who he has fought to a draw on multiple occasions,

If the two of them are unable to win, they retreat back to Celestia to recover and plan a second assault; nobody has ever lasted long enough to warrant this.
These seem to contradict each-other.
Theme fitting is... ok I guess.

Rook, The Greymount Fortress: A good story (as it should be given it is professionally written game fluff), and the mechanics are a skillful translation of game mechanics (I have never played the game, but they are both odd and smooth, so I assume the oddness is from the game, meaning you represented it well). Unfortunately you have a START to a story without the strong impression of the LENGTH of it.

Magypsy: Too little context given for me to get a real feel for this. You didn't provide a reference for the Fey Heritage feat either.

Karnak: "F. Salamanders"? Why the abbreviation? Story is vague. I could overlook the spelling errors easily if the entry in general were more interesting...

Corrupted Offshoot of Yggdrasil: You don't say what it takes to cure "cutting" (or conversely that the effect can never be stopped, only kept at bay... which might be a bit much for a mere CR 20 creature)... but your fluff dwells the most so far on what it means to be ageless.

Aspect of Leviathan: Your plot hook doesn't seem to tie into the main create THAT well... I guess if the cultists succeed the idea is that it could result in one or more of these things being created? Also, while you did some good scenery chewing, not much of it was on the subject of longevity.

Asherah, Spirit of the Shores: Very nice... ALMOST gets my vote... I was actually going to give it to whoever had the LOWEST rank in the playground (to reward precocious amateurs). You two are tied at "Barbarian" but I actually seem to remember you entering a contest longer ago than Random (specifically "We the People").

Vote is for Corrupted Offshoot of Yggdrasil.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-01-31, 08:00 PM
NO VOTE YET, CONSTRUCTION OF THIS POST INTERUPTED BY START OF ONE OF MY WEEKLY GAMES. Might or might not finish this later.
You got 4 hours to vote or a rumor will be started about you.

Iamyourking
2010-01-31, 08:42 PM
Sandalphon, the Hand of God:

These seem to contradict each-other.
Theme fitting is... ok I guess.

It would have been nice for people to give this commentary before the contest ended, but what I was saying is that he has fought Alastor to a draw on multiple occaisions and that nobody has survived fighting a second bout with both him and Metatron. Since he hasn't brought Metatron in to help him with the Executioner of Hell, it isn't contradictory.

Bhu
2010-01-31, 08:59 PM
Tiny is up to 2' long. The frog didnt appear to be too big...

DracoDei
2010-01-31, 09:22 PM
Toads are diminutive. Frogs are smaller than toads.

Admiral Squish
2010-01-31, 09:49 PM
Toads are diminutive. Frogs are smaller than toads.

Depends entirely on the toad. there are 50-pound toads in africa, and toads the size of my thumb.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-01, 12:04 AM
...and voting has come to an end.

Hyooz wins this month's contest, and a woe upon the world has been released with The Slender Man

Congrats!