PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] PrC with arcane and divine progression?

Zavrith
2010-01-26, 10:40 AM
I have a sorc2/favored soul1/mystic theurge1, but if I continue taking all the levels in mystic theurge I only get to 13th level. Other than the True Necromancer (which just takes too many more levels away from my spell progression for it to be worth it), are there any other prestige classes with both spell progressions?

2xMachina
2010-01-26, 11:03 AM
Legacy Champion? +5/6 ANY or 8/10 if you take all.

oxybe
2010-01-26, 11:06 AM
I have a sorc2/favored soul1/mystic theurge1, but if I continue taking all the levels in mystic theurge I only get to 13th level. Other than the True Necromancer (which just takes too many more levels away from my spell progression for it to be worth it), are there any other prestige classes with both spell progressions?

how can you even cast the requisite level 2 arcane & level 2 divine spells? earliest entry into MT using your classes would require Sorc4/FS4...

Cyclocone
2010-01-26, 11:13 AM
Legacy Champion, Bloodlines and Uncanny Trickster.
Although by strict RAW you'd probably be gaining Epic MT levels, so yeah.

Besides that, your only other options are True Necromancer and Yathrinshee.
Or rebuilding into a Bard/Mindbender/Ur-Priest/Sublime Chord/Mystic Theurge (or something similar).

Optimystik
2010-01-26, 11:17 AM
As stated, your best option is to drop the sorcerer portion and go bard/sublime chord instead. I assume you're combining Favored Soul and Sorcerer for the CHA synergy, but they are sadly MAD.

DragoonWraith
2010-01-26, 11:20 AM
If you do Druid instead of Favored Soul (MAD, but...) you can use Arcane Hierophant, which is pretty solid.

Another option is Shadowcaster, with Favored Soul or Sorcerer, Noctumancer, and Mystic Theurge (Shadowcaster explicitly qualifies as either side of Mystic Theurge).

SurlySeraph
2010-01-26, 11:22 AM
how can you even cast the requisite level 2 arcane & level 2 divine spells? earliest entry into MT using your classes would require Sorc4/FS4...

There are a number of tricks for early entry. Using the feats Precocious Apprentice and Sanctum Spell is probably the most common.

Person_Man
2010-01-26, 11:56 AM
Also, Archivist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20051007a&page=3) can access every divine and most arcane spells (through domains and feats/PrC that expand lists), without slowing down his progression.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-26, 12:49 PM
If you change race to bamboo spiritfolk you may be able to go into AH.

Sorc/FS early entry trick is Versatile Spellcaster+ Heighten spell

You can also use Ur priest for your divine side. This should get you almost max casting.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-01-26, 12:58 PM
I'll agree that Legacy Champion from Weapons of Legacy is your best course of action. You can apply its "+1 level of existing class' features" to Mystic Theurge. Going Sorcerer 2/ Favored Soul 1/ Mystic Theurge 10/ Legacy Champion 6 will get you 17th level Sorcerer and 16th level Favored Soul spellcasting at level 19. You could spend your last level to get 9th level Sorcerer spells, or continue Legacy Champion and get 9th in both at level 21, assuming you get that far.

An Illumian with Improved Sigil: Krau is another early entry method which works for multiple classes.

Douglas
2010-01-26, 01:19 PM
I'll agree that Legacy Champion from Weapons of Legacy is your best course of action. You can apply its "+1 level of existing class' features" to Mystic Theurge. Going Sorcerer 2/ Favored Soul 1/ Mystic Theurge 10/ Legacy Champion 6 will get you 17th level Sorcerer and 16th level Favored Soul spellcasting at level 19. You could spend your last level to get 9th level Sorcerer spells, or continue Legacy Champion and get 9th in both at level 21, assuming you get that far.
Actually, by RAW Legacy Champion would be getting you the epic progression (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClassProgressions.htm#epicMysticTheurge) of Mystic Theurge, which alternates spellcasting advancement of each class rather than doing both at once. You would be strictly better off alternating levels of Sorcerer and Favored Soul.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-26, 01:32 PM
Actually, by RAW Legacy Champion would be getting you the epic progression (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/prestigeClassProgressions.htm#epicMysticTheurge) of Mystic Theurge, which alternates spellcasting advancement of each class rather than doing both at once. You would be strictly better off alternating levels of Sorcerer and Favored Soul.

Hmm... Here's a crazy idea. Ask your DM if you can just extend FS. if not, well, Sorc-8/Ur priest-2/FS-10 will get you there too.

DragoonWraith
2010-01-26, 01:33 PM
Wait, Legacy Champion explicitly states that if you have used up all the normal class levels of a class, you use the Epic Level Progression?! Uhm. Quick, find a short PrC that has an Epic progression that includes Epic Bonus Feats. Epic Spellcasting is unfortunately out due to the 24 skill ranks requirement, unless some moron decided to print one that allowed that without meeting the pre-requisites....

sofawall
2010-01-26, 01:50 PM

Hahahahahahano.

Earliest entry into Mystic Theurge is Favoured Soul 1/Mystic Theurge 1.

Optimystik
2010-01-26, 01:57 PM
Hahahahahahano.

Earliest entry into Mystic Theurge is Favoured Soul 1/Mystic Theurge 1.

Worth pointing out that you need flaws, though - not all DMs allow them.

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-01-26, 01:59 PM
Hahahahahahano.

Earliest entry into Mystic Theurge is Favoured Soul 1/Mystic Theurge 1.Not enough skill ranks. The only ways around that either take too much cash or even more feats, neither of which are viable for that build at ECL 2. If you really try, you can get the spells at level 1, but the feats are killer.

Douglas
2010-01-26, 02:03 PM
Wait, Legacy Champion explicitly states that if you have used up all the normal class levels of a class, you use the Epic Level Progression?!
No, it states that you gain class features as if you had gained another level in the class you choose. If you happen to already have 10 levels in a 10-level PrC, then gaining another level in the class would necessarily be the 11th PrC level and the beginning of its epic progression.

sofawall
2010-01-26, 02:06 PM
Worth pointing out that you need flaws, though - not all DMs allow them.

Sanctum spell is all you need, I believe, feat-wise. That gets you 2nd level divine and 3rd level arcane.

Not enough skill ranks. The only ways around that either take too much cash or even more feats, neither of which are viable for that build at ECL 2. If you really try, you can get the spells at level 1, but the feats are killer.

The infinite wealth loops that exist can get you all the cash you will need, even if you start at the WBL of a level 1 character and only have a week to do it.

Vorpalbob
2010-01-26, 02:11 PM
Do you guys ever sit back from making a perfect build, look at all the books strewn around you, and think, "Holy sh**! There are way too many Prestige Classes!"?

I do.
All. The. Time. And then I ignore it and continue

deuxhero
2010-01-26, 03:03 PM
I second asking the DM to take more MT levels.

SensFan
2010-01-26, 03:44 PM
Sanctum spell is all you need, I believe, feat-wise. That gets you 2nd level divine and 3rd level arcane.

The infinite wealth loops that exist can get you all the cash you will need, even if you start at the WBL of a level 1 character and only have a week to do it.
The entire point of a character optimization/build is ruined if you answer your problems with 'exploit the game to get infinite wealth in a week at level 1.

sofawall
2010-01-26, 03:51 PM
The entire point of a character optimization/build is ruined if you answer your problems with 'exploit the game to get infinite wealth in a week at level 1.

However, it is possible to enter it that fast, is it not?

I never said it was feasible, or even CO, (I think this is probably the far end of TO, to be honest), but I did say it was possible.

deuxhero
2010-01-27, 08:19 PM

MT is such a poor build as written, I would be fine with the shenanigans people use to enter it early. There is a reason most latter dual progression classes require 2nd level spells on only one side to enter.