PDA

View Full Version : Fire(ball) At Will! [joke spell]

Douglas
2010-01-26, 02:36 PM
Fire(ball) At Will:
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2

As Fireball, except that it is centered on the nearest creature in range named Will. The creature must recognize and accept the name as its own, so characters cannot simply dub their latest opponent 'Will' and proceed to cast Fireball from level 2 slots. A Wizard could, however, name his familiar Will and regularly send Will into the center of groups of enemies in order to cast this spell at them. The Wizard would be well advised to ensure his familiar is well protected from both the Fireball and the enemies before trying this, however, as the familiar might die or simply refuse to cooperate otherwise.

If no creature named Will is in range, the spell fails.

Got any suggestions for more spells based on misinterpretations of phrases? Ideally I'd like to be able to build an entire level 20 character who uses such things almost exclusively and is actually effective with them.

deuxhero
2010-01-26, 03:07 PM
I think there was a thread on "misspelled" stuff a bit back. Would be a bit of Necrourgy to bring it up though.

ericgrau
2010-01-26, 08:08 PM
And what if my familiar is a fire mephit with a high speed or at-will teleportation item? And I am casting twinned maximized Fire at Will? Seems like a free spell level, in that there are a million ways to overcome the disadvantage. And any other way to use the spell is almost useless.

Mongoose87
2010-01-26, 08:35 PM
And what if my familiar is a fire mephit with a high speed or at-will teleportation item? And I am casting twinned maximized Fire at Will? Seems like a free spell level, in that there are a million ways to overcome the disadvantage. And any other way to use the spell is almost useless.

Isn't that kind of the idea?

Douglas
2010-01-26, 10:37 PM
Isn't that kind of the idea?
Well, yeah. Of course there are tons of ways to overcome the disadvantage. I'm pretty sure few or none of them are cheaper than a feat or two, and there are plenty of ways to get a 1 spell level reduction or more for metamagic for that cost already. Having to spend the resources to get such a means seems a reasonably close to balanced compensation for the lower spell level, and the main point is the misinterpretation of the spell's name anyway.

Waargh!
2010-01-26, 11:17 PM
I am ok with it. But change the wording to make it more "funny". I expect to read something funny and you get into all these details about the familiar :P

First, don't put "as Fireball". Ruins the joke. Describe again what happens in a way that suits the joke spell.
You could be named Will as well, if you can get protection from fire. You don't need to go into so many details about the name. Just state that the creature has to recognize the name Will and that you have to shout his names to confirm this.

Roderick_BR
2010-01-27, 05:53 AM
If he can teleport at will and is named will, he won't be teleported anywhere, since he is already at his own location...

Eldan
2010-01-27, 06:17 AM
No, the idea is that you have a familiar named will, who is immune to fire. Send that familiar next to the enemy, then cast the fireballs on him. Cheaper fireballs whenever you need them.

Mulletmanalive
2010-01-27, 02:19 PM
I think there was a thread on "misspelled" stuff a bit back. Would be a bit of Necrourgy to bring it up though.

I'm going to correct you on this because you're actually rubbing in an incorrect statement.

The term you're looking for is Necromaturgy if you want to make such statements.

Necromancy = Dead - Prophecy. Either a profecy about death or in cultural context calling on the dead who hadn't drunk of the lethe to ask them questions.

Necrourgy = Dead - Invocation. Calling on the dead themselves to perform magical effects for you. This would be accurate for some of the Vestiges, if you were a death themed Spirit Shaman or if you were to summon a Banshee in order to cast Wail of the Banshee. This is fundamentally not what D&D magic is about.

Necromaturgy = Dead - Manipulation. Altering the properties of the dead or death using your own powers. This is most D&D standard magic, along with magic as most modern people apparently percieve it [at least on this site anyway...]

Strudel110
2010-01-27, 06:04 PM
I'm going to correct you on this because you're actually rubbing in an incorrect statement.

The term you're looking for is Necromaturgy if you want to make such statements.

Necromancy = Dead - Prophecy. Either a profecy about death or in cultural context calling on the dead who hadn't drunk of the lethe to ask them questions.

Necrourgy = Dead - Invocation. Calling on the dead themselves to perform magical effects for you. This would be accurate for some of the Vestiges, if you were a death themed Spirit Shaman or if you were to summon a Banshee in order to cast Wail of the Banshee. This is fundamentally not what D&D magic is about.

Necromaturgy = Dead - Manipulation. Altering the properties of the dead or death using your own powers. This is most D&D standard magic, along with magic as most modern people apparently percieve it [at least on this site anyway...]

I'm pretty sure it's Necrourmancaturgy...:smallwink: