PDA

View Full Version : What's the DC? [3.5]

Fortuna
2010-01-26, 03:40 PM
What's the DC for repairing something? What if it's a masterwork item? I want to know what Craft modifier I would need to reliably repair a masterwork musical instrument.

SensFan
2010-01-26, 03:41 PM
I believe you make Craft checks as if you were crafting the item in question, until the value you've 'crafted' equals the value of the damage.

Fortuna
2010-01-26, 04:20 PM
So what's the DC for crafting a masterwork musical instrument (specifically a lyre)?

SensFan
2010-01-26, 05:15 PM
Off the top of my head, I'd probably place it at DC20, based on the Craft DC table. Your DM may rule differently.

AslanCross
2010-01-26, 06:08 PM
According to the Craft skill entry, you create the "masterwork" component in addition to the item itself as if it were a separate item. Both have a craft DC of 20 (assuming the item is a "superior" item). Repairing has the same DC but only 1/5 the cost.

Irreverent Fool
2010-01-26, 06:13 PM
According to the Craft skill entry, you create the "masterwork" component in addition to the item itself as if it were a separate item. Both have a craft DC of 20. Repairing has the same DC but only 1/5 the cost.

This. Granted, it's much faster to simply get a cleric to cast make whole.

SRD, Craft Skill (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/craft.htm)
Repairing Items

Generally, you can repair an item by making checks against the same DC that it took to make the item in the first place. The cost of repairing an item is one-fifth of the item’s price.

Edit: The link above includes common DCs for crafting as well as the rules for progress by the day. Should be everything you need. :smallsmile:

obnoxious
sig

Fortuna
2010-01-26, 06:44 PM
Excellent. I have a +10 Craft modifier, so taking ten meets the DC. I know that make whole would be easier, but it's a fluff thing: this character enjoys the quiet, simple task of repair and maintenance.

Sinfire Titan
2010-01-26, 06:49 PM
Excellent. I have a +10 Craft modifier, so taking ten meets the DC. I know that make whole would be easier, but it's a fluff thing: this character enjoys the quiet, simple task of repair and maintenance.

Then don't bother with the check unless you will gain a mechanical benefit. Its fluff, so Take 10.

Fortuna
2010-01-26, 06:51 PM

:smallconfused: Did you just not read my post?

Demented
2010-01-26, 07:51 PM
If the DC were 21, you'd have a problem and he'd have a point. :p

Edit: Though, if your character enjoys taking the time to do something, your character should be taking 20, not 10. I'm sure the lyre deserves the extra attention.

ericgrau
2010-01-26, 07:55 PM
Then he buys a Lyre repair kit for a +2 :smalltongue:. Worth the cost and fits his fluff since the Lyre is masterwork.

EDIT in response to EDIT: You can't take a 20 on anything with a chance of failure. And basically taking a 20 is the same as retrying 20 times, so it never confers any special benefit vs. multiple retries.

Irreverent Fool
2010-01-26, 10:01 PM

Yeah. My character did too. He used a tower shield for cover frequently so it would get sundered by the giants and other large nasties the party would fight. Unfortunately the party cleric didn't want to wait around so he walked up to the shield when my character wasn't looking and cast make whole... after I had spent the time to figure how long it would take to repair and had my character set up his forge...

obnoxious
sig