PDA

View Full Version : Wall of Force question

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-27, 03:08 PM
It isn't a type of spell I use often, the wall spells, but I'm taking wall of force for a one shot game and I have a question or three.

1- Can the wall have any bends in it?
2-If so, can it be used to cage something in on 4 sides?
3-Can it be shaped into a cube?
4-Any better walls? Something that is a bargain for it's level?
5-Have any creative uses for walls?

Eloel
2010-01-27, 03:10 PM
1- No
2- No
3- No

CTLC
2010-01-27, 03:10 PM
It isn't a type of spell I use often, the wall spells, but I'm taking wall of force for a one shot game and I have a question or three.

1- Can the wall have any bends in it?
2-If so, can it be used to cage something in on 4 sides?
3-Can it be shaped into a cube?
5-Have any creative uses for walls?

1. i dont believe it can have a huge curve in it, maybe a square diagonal?
2. no, you want forcecage
3. still want forcecage
4. not really, i love it, but forcecage...
5. blocking off areas is as creative as i go, but i think its fairly versatile.

Edit: it can be used to kill partial ninjas though...

Dusk Eclipse
2010-01-27, 03:19 PM
Use quickened (not sure if possible) wall of force (or better yet a prismatic wall) to let your dungeon crasher fighter (or crushings fist) have something nice to bull rush opponents into

Irreverent Fool
2010-01-28, 01:58 AM
The caster can form the wall into a flat, vertical plane whose area is up to one 10-foot square per level. The wall must be continuous and unbroken when formed. If its surface is broken by any object or creature, the spell fails.

This gets missed a lot. It seems restrictive but considering the unbreakable nature of the wall, allowing it to be shaped or placed in any position but vertical ends up being too good. Wizards have enough tricks up their sleeves.

It can be useful in dividing a pair of Old Black Dragons into single units to be dealt with one at a time, however. The party stopped mocking my sorcerer's spell choice after that, I tell you.

obnoxious
sig

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-28, 02:32 AM
Ohh well. I'll just have to cast three of them then. Form a triangle around my opponent, THEN rock to mud to rock him. I guess. Or just blow the gold for the super expensive forcecage :smallsigh:

Coidzor
2010-01-28, 02:51 AM
Ohh well. I'll just have to cast three of them then. Form a triangle around my opponent, THEN rock to mud to rock him. I guess. Or just blow the gold for the super expensive forcecage :smallsigh:

If you're able to buy spells, you'll want to buy it eventually anyway.

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-28, 02:56 AM
Naah. Game's only going to last a few hours at the most. I have but to slap around a Barbarian and help another person test ToB stuff against a caster.

Fizban
2010-01-28, 03:03 AM
If you want shaping why not use Wall of Stone at the same level? It's fully shapeable and permanent as well, which is no hindrance if you're already rock to mud-ing.

Salt_Crow
2010-01-28, 03:39 AM
Against opponents that are much larger than the caster, Wall of Force could act as an efficient cover against charges and melee attacks I suppose. Just thinking of a colossal dragon charging toward a mage only to literally run into an invisible wall that requires him to actually crawl under or something is quite amusing in itself.

Optimystik
2010-01-28, 06:44 AM
If you're able to buy spells, you'll want to buy it eventually anyway.

I think that by "expensive" he was referring to the painful material component.

olelia
2010-01-28, 07:46 AM
The other important note which some others miss

A wall of force spell creates an invisible wall of force.

So if he's a barbarian its unlikely he will have means of even detecting the wall until he runs into it.

Prime32
2010-01-28, 08:34 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wallOfForce.htm

The caster can form the wall into a flat, vertical plane whose area is up to one 10-foot square per level.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-01-28, 09:16 AM
This gets missed a lot. It seems restrictive but considering the unbreakable nature of the wall, allowing it to be shaped or placed in any position but vertical ends up being too good. Wizards have enough tricks up their sleeves.
So, I’m assuming for those of us that go adventuring in really weird places that “vertical” should be defined as relative to local gravity. Yes? Vertical, in most cases of course, being largely an issue of point of view.

Zom B
2010-01-28, 09:24 AM

I like Wall of Ice, myself. It's a 4th level Sor/Wiz spell so at the level you procure it, the hemisphere use of it has a 10 foot radius, meaning that you can trap a medium-sized creature in it with no saving throw (there will be a 5' square between themselves and the wall, so they can't interrupt its formation). True, it will only have 21 hit points and hardness 0, but that's at least one round you've bought yourself.

The other nice use of it is giving yourself handy cover by placing yourself in the hemisphere.

Keshay
2010-01-28, 09:53 AM
My favorite trick with wall of force is to use it as a weapon against large creatures / vehicles that are already moving. Notice that the spell describes the effect as a flat, vertical plane. No mention of how thick the wall is, describing it as a plane inclines me to believe it is very thin (1" maximum). Drop one of these into the path of a speeding enenmy parallell to thier direction of movement (so that they run into the thin portion of the wall) and you have yourself a huge blade.

I've used this tactic to great effectiveness during naval battles. Cut one enemy target clean in half when it tried to ram us at full speed.

Disclaimer: Of course there are no actual rules for this sort of thing, so you need a decent (and educated) DM to make the ruling favorable. As opposed to a moron just saying "they run into the edge an stop, after taking 1d6 damage".

ericgrau
2010-01-28, 10:09 AM
4-Force cage, level 7. Other walls like wall of stone, wall of ice and maybe wall of iron have advantages and disadvantages. (Otiluke's) Resilient Sphere also bears mentioning. But nothing can exactly match a wall of force at what it does.
5-The standard use is to divide the enemy. Wall of ice is perhaps the weakest but most versatile, allowing bridges, ramps and no-save hemispheres. Making a wall of stone with arrow slits is another possibility. A wall of force to keep away someone with an antimagic field works. Remember all walls can be used defensively too, not just offensively. Walls of stone and iron have other functions listed in their descriptions.

Zom B
2010-01-28, 11:10 AM
A wall of force to keep away someone with an antimagic field works.

Wait, what? An antimagic field allows you to pass through a wall of force because it negates the portion of the wall that lies within the antimagic bubble. It's what the dragon in OotS used to get out of V's Forcecage.

Lapak
2010-01-28, 11:18 AM
Wait, what? An antimagic field allows you to pass through a wall of force because it negates the portion of the wall that lies within the antimagic bubble. It's what the dragon in OotS used to get out of V's Forcecage.Wall of Force is specifically immune to Antimagic Field, but Forcecage is not. They are different, though similar, effects.

Zom B
2010-01-28, 11:27 AM
Ah, I see. I had to read Antimagic Field to see that it is immune. It's not mentioned under Wall of Force.