PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] 4th level Wizard spells, what to choose?

Capricornus
2010-01-28, 08:28 PM
Hello, looking for a little advice. I'm playing a L1 Rogue/L4 Wizard/L3 Unseen Seer. I have just leveled to 8th level and now have access to 4th level spells. I would like to pick them carefully, based on usefulness, and was hoping for suggestions based on experience of those on these boards. I have three spells to choose from (using Elven Generalist substitution level from Races of the Wild.) I can use any book to pick these spells from. Naturally I will be buying scrolls to add more spells when I get a chance, but it's the first three that I'm agonizing over. It is an undead-themed campaign.

Here's a list of what I am considering.

Improved Invisibility (I will probably end up taking this as one of my choices, as I often use sneak attack.)
Dimension Door
Evard's Black Tentacles
Solid Fog
Scrying (have to at least pay lip service to divination magic... will probably buy a scroll of it instead of take it as a spell choice from leveling)
Wall of Ice
Polymorph
Greater Resistance (Deal with a lot of saves)
Orb of Force (To help deal with incorporeal undead, though my caster level is only 6th with non-divination spells)
Vortex of Teeth (Also for incorporeal targets)
Flight of the Dragon
Greater Mirror Image

Thoughts?

Also, any ideas as to how to boost my caster level for non-divination spells?

Thanks

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-01-28, 08:32 PM
For Unseen Seers, I like to grab me a sneak attack enabling spell, then something else. So, odds are, I'd go Tentacles and Greater Mirror Image. EDIT: Although, Improved Invisibility kind of merges between the two. Solid choice there. Solid Fog is also nice for BC.

Also, is there any particular reason for Rogue 1 over Spellthief 1? Master Spellthief (and Practiced Spellcaster, too, but that one should be obvious) helps out with the hit to your non-divination spellcaster level. Also, being able to "borrow" the cleric's buffs is great fun.

Flickerdart
2010-01-28, 08:45 PM
Avoid Polymorph just because it's such an awfully broken spell. I'd say Improved Invisibility and either Dimension Door or Greater Mirror Image, depending on whether you'll want to tangle in melee or get out when the going gets tough.

Capricornus
2010-01-28, 09:15 PM
@Thrice
It was Rogue 'cause I didn't think of Spellthief. :D

@Flicker
I do get into melee when I can. I have an excellent tumble modifier and a pretty good AC, as well as often being under the effects of Haste and having a Benign Transposition or two up my sleeve.

Pyro_Azer
2010-01-28, 09:20 PM
I would snag polymorph then. Wizards going into melee is just about the only time polymorph can be useful and not broken.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-01-28, 10:01 PM
I'd be tempted to skip the invisibility. As a combat spell, it starts becoming useless at about this level since everything worth being invisible from can see invisibility. The tentacles enable sneak attack to a greater extent than Improved Invisibility IMO.

Lysander
2010-01-28, 10:50 PM
Dimension Door is a must. You won't always need it, but there are some situations where it'll be insanely useful.

nargbop
2010-01-28, 10:52 PM
When you grab your next Advanced Learning, you should consider Hunter's Eye from PHB II. Grants extra sneak attack which increases with caster level.

Capricornus
2010-01-29, 08:53 AM
@Pyro
But would I be polymorphing a lot into forms where I could use my sneak attack and items?

@mushroom ninja
Evard's will enable sneak attack a lot more? Because enemies will be grappled?

@nargbop
I already have a custom item of Hunter's Eye, but that spell definitely looked good. My last Advanced Learning I took Find the Gap, which allows me to hit with a melee weapon as a touch attack once a round. Sadly I haven't been finding myself using it at all - Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Luminous Swarm, Invisibility tend to take up my 2nd level slots...

Optimystik
2010-01-29, 09:03 AM
Evard's will enable sneak attack a lot more? Because enemies will be grappled?

Grappled enemies lose their dexterity bonus to AC, so yes.

Dragero
2010-01-29, 09:06 AM
For Unseen Seers, I like to grab me a sneak attack enabling spell, then something else. So, odds are, I'd go Tentacles and Greater Mirror Image. EDIT: Although, Improved Invisibility kind of merges between the two. Solid choice there. Solid Fog is also nice for BC.

I second this.....tentacles is a great spell!!!

Edit: yay i'm a halfling now!!!

Vizzerdrix
2010-01-29, 01:53 PM
Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer has always served me well.

Tyndmyr
2010-01-29, 03:29 PM
Choose non-core spells. Core spells are generally vastly more likely to be found as scrolls or in captured spellbooks.