PDA

View Full Version : [4e] trying to build a mind affecting mage

Toon Fighter
2010-01-31, 06:37 PM
I am trying to stat out an elf mage, who can make charm spells, and dominate others with his voice alone. What class/powers/etc should I choose for him? I thought of bard, but it wouldn't fit him very well. Any suggestions?

Gralamin
2010-01-31, 06:42 PM
I am trying to stat out an elf mage, who can make charm spells, and dominate others with his voice alone. What class/powers/etc should I choose for him? I thought of bard, but it wouldn't fit him very well. Any suggestions?

Refluff Psion, its the easiest way.

Swordgleam
2010-01-31, 07:31 PM
I don't know much about the PHB3 classes, but of the others, I believe Wizard is the closest to what you're looking for.

rayne_dragon
2010-01-31, 08:23 PM
From what I've heard, psion is probably really good for what you want, but I don't know a lot about it. Wizards, I do know, are quite good for what you want with minimal refluffing. Arcane power has tons of great spells for that sort of thing.

Xallace
2010-01-31, 10:24 PM
Psion's good.

You could also try Hybrid Bard||Fey Warlock, focused on as many Charm spells as possible and taking that Paragon Path from Arcane Power that grants you some nice bonuses for charm spells. Making an eladrin rather than an elf grants you an additional feat the boosts your charm spells, too.

Edit: Entrancing Mystic, that's what it's called. It's a warlock path.

Kurald Galain
2010-02-01, 07:42 AM
That really depends on what you mean by "make charm spells". There are several spells that have the "psychic" or "charm" keyword, is that what you mean? Is it acceptable for the spell to have a charm-fluff and deal 2d6 psychic damage, or do you want actual domination?

The best dominator is the psion, although the wizard several decent charm effects in dragon magazine (not to mention Memory To Mist, and the Sleep spell). Wizards get "actual" dominations at epic level.

Ceaon
2010-02-01, 08:46 AM
Warlock would work, although an elf is not a race that favors that class. Fey warlocks have a lot of mindscrew powers, however. For instance, one power lets you sustain as a standard action to 'delete' the standard actiomn of your target. Seems dominate-ish.

Optimystik
2010-02-01, 08:50 AM
How devoted are you the "Elf" part of this concept? Elves are more martially inclined; an Eladrin would make more sense as a "mind over matter" character, while keeping the tree-hugging Feywild fluff.

dsmiles
2010-02-01, 08:55 AM
Refluff Psion, its the easiest way.

Mmmmmmmm....Telepathic goodness....

Inyssius Tor
2010-02-01, 09:32 PM
As has been said, yeah, pretty much: Psion, Wizard, Fey-pact Warlock, or Bard.

If you don't have the Character Builder, you're missing out on a ridiculously good deal your mind-affecting wizard options can be found in Arcane Power, and the Psion won't be available to you until March.