PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 Base Class] The Iron Chef

MandibleBones
2010-02-01, 10:30 PM
Fluff to come, but I needed a cooking-based full class for a chracter in a campaign. Please tear it up and help me out?

THE IRON CHEF
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|1*|2*|3*|4*

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+0|Iron Stomach (Sickened), Imbue Meal, Skill Focus (Craft: Cooking)|0

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+3|
+0|Spice-Fu (Dazzle) 1/encounter|1

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+1|Scary Spice (Shaken) 1/encounter|2

4th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Spice-Fu (Daze)|3

5th|
+3|
+4|
+4|
+1|Corrosive Spices|4|1

6th|
+4|
+5|
+5|
+2|Spice-Fu 2/encounter, Scary Spice 2/encounter|5|1

7th|
+5|
+5|
+5|
+2|The Spice Must Flow!|6|2

8th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+2|Spice-Fu (Blind)|7|2

9th|
+6|
+6|
+6|
+3|Iron Stomach (Nauseated), Spice of Life, Scary Spice 3/encounter|8|3|1

10th|
+7|
+7|
+7|
+3|Spice-Fu 3/encounter|8|3|1

11th|
+8|
+7|
+7|
+3|Scary Spice (Frighten)|8|4|2

12th|
+9|
+8|
+8|
+4|Spice-Fu (Confuse), Scary Spice 4/encounter|8|4|2

13th|
+9|
+8|
+8|
+4|Heroes' Feast 1/day|8|5|3|1

14th|
+10|
+9|
+9|
+4|Spice-Fu 4/encounter|8|5|3|1

15th|
+11|
+9|
+9|
+5|Scary Spice 5/encounter|8|6|4|2

16th|
+12|
+10|
+10|
+5|Spice-Fu (Stun)|8|6|4|2

17th|
+12|
+10|
+10|
+5|Scary Spice (Panick)|8|7|5|3

18th|
+13|
+11|
+11|
+6|Spice-Fu 5/encounter, Scary Spice 6/encounter|8|7|5|3

19th|
+14|
+11|
+11|
+6|Iron Stomach (Poison), Heroes's Feast 2/day|8|8|6|4

20th|
+15|
+12|
+12|
+6|Piece de Resistance, Spice-Fu (Kill)|8|8|6|4[/table]

Alignment
Any

Hit Die
d6

Class Skills
The Iron Chef's class skills are Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (Nature) (Int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis) and Survival (Wis).

Skill Points at 1st Level
(4+Int Modifier) x4

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
4+Int Modifier

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the Iron Chef.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

Iron Chefs are proficient with all maces, axes, knives and swords, as well as light armor. They are not proficient with shields.

Iron Stomach (Ex)

At first level, an Iron Chef is immune to being sickened. At ninth level, an Iron Chef is likewise immune to being nauseated. At nineteenth level, the Iron Chef gains complete immunity to poisons of all kinds.

Skill Focus (Craft: Cooking)

At first level, the Iron Chef gains Skill Focus: Craft (Cooking) as a bonus feat.

Imbue Meal (Su)

A number of times per day equal to her class level plus her CON modifier, the Iron Chef can imbue a food item she creates with the effects of a spell, chosen from her known recipes. Recipes whose spells rely on caster level use the Iron Chef's level. Consuming this food takes a standard action, which ordinarily provokes an attack of opportunity. Food items created with Imbue Meal last a number of days equal to 1 + Iron Chef level.

Recipes Known

An Iron Chef knows a certain number of recipes, as listed to the right. Additionally, at first level, an Iron Chef knows an additional number of recipes equal to her INT modifier.

Spice-Fu (Ex)

At second level, an Iron Chef's knowledge of the spice cabinet extends to offensive power. Once per encounter, as a standard action, the Iron Chef can cause an opponent to make a reflex save or be dazzled for 1d6 rounds + 1d6 rounds per five levels of Iron Chef. At sixth level, and again at tenth, fourteenth and eighteenth levels, this increases by once per encounter. Spice-Fu has a range of 10 ft. x Iron Chef level.

At fourth level, the Iron Chef can daze an opponent. At eighth level, she can blind an opponent. at twelth level, she can confuse an opponent. At sixteenth, she can stun.

At 20th level, she can force a reflex save or die, though she may do this only once per encounter, which counts against total uses of Spice-Fu for the encounter.

Save difficulties equal 10 + 1/2 class level + CON modifier.

Scary Spice (Ex)

Similar to Spice-Fu, an Iron Chef can use Scary Spices to cause a foe to be shaken once per encounter at third level. At sixth level and every three levels thereafter, this ability increases by once per encounter.

At eleventh level, the Iron Chef can cause the foe to be frightened instead, if she so chooses. At seventeenth level, her Scary Spices can cause an opponent to be panicked instead.

Opponents get a will save versus Scary Spice, with a difficulty equal to 10 + 1/2 class level + CON modifier. Scary Spice has a range of 10 ft. x Iron Chef level, and lasts for 1d6 rounds + 1d6 rounds per five Iron Chef levels.

Corrosive Spices (Ex)

At fifth level, an Iron Chef's Spice-Fu can affect constructs. Additionally, if the construct has an INT score, it can be affected by the Iron Chef's Scary Spice.

The Spice Must Flow! (Su)

At seventh level, the Iron Chef gains a greater understanding of the ways of herbs and spices. As an immediate action, he can remove any condition which he could cause with his Spice-Fu or Scary Spice abilities from any one ally within 30 feet. It costs one per-encounter use of either Spice-Fu or Scary Spice (as appropriate) to use this ability.

A 20th-level Iron Chef who reverses the Kill ability may return the recently-dead to life as per the revivify spell, except it must be used within 1/2 Iron Chef levels of the victim's death.

Spice of Life (Su)

At ninth level, an Iron Chef's Spice-Fu affects undead. Additionally, intelligent undead are affected by Scary Spice as if they were not undead. Finally, mindless undead are affected by Scary Spice as if they had been turned by a cleric. If the Scary Spice would otherwise have panicked the undead, the Iron Chef can choose to destroy the undead instead.

Heroes' Feast (Sp)

At 13th level, an Iron Chef can prepare a Heroes' Feast as a cleric of her level once per day. At 19th level, she can prepare a Heroes' Feast twice per day. The Iron Chef must actually prepare the food.

Piece de Resistance (Su)

Once per day at 20th level, the Iron Chef can craft a meal so exquisite it can (at the Iron Chef's discretion) produce the effects of a Sympathy spell cast by a 20th-level druid. Additionally, all who partake of the meal are Healed, as the spell, as if cast by a 20th-level cleric. While the Piece de Resistance does require raw food materials, there is no limit to what those materials can be - an Iron Chef of this skill can create the meal out of ration bars, a flagon of mead and his spice pouch, if need be.

1-Star Recipes

Aid, Calm Emotions, Barkskin, Bless, Cure Light Wounds, Divine Favor, Endure Elements, Guidance, Hide From Animals, Protection from Evil (et cetera), Remove Fear, Resistance, Resist Energy, Spider Climb

2-Star Recipes

Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Cure Serious Wounds, Eagle's Splendor, Fox's Cunning, Invisibility, Lesser Restoration, Owl's Wisdom, Protection from Energy, Remove Curse, Remove Disease, Water Breathing

3-Star Recipes

Break Enchantment, Cure Critical Wounds, Greater Invisibility, Neutralize Poison, Restoration, Stoneskin, See Invisibility, Tongues

4-Star Recipes

Awaken (Animals Only), Divine Power, Ethereal Jaunt, Greater Arcane Sight, Heal, Repulsion, True Seeing, Transformation

If you have access to the Spell Compendium, the following are also available as recipes:

1-Star: Healthful Rest, Ironguts, Lesser Vigor, Resist Planar Alignment
2-Star: Spawn Screen, Air Breathing, Grace, Mantle of Chaos/Evil/Good/Law, Vigor, Lesser Visage of the Deity
3-Star: Greater Blindsight, Lesser Holy/Infernal Transformation, Planar Tolerance
4-Star: Aura of Evasion, Divine Agility, Greater Vigor, Energy Immunity, Visage of the Deity

Melayl
2010-02-01, 11:04 PM
Well. This is certainly one of the most...unique...classes I've seen. I would like to hear the story of why you needed a cooking-based character class.

That said, it really looks quite good. I don't think it is on a power level with other casters, not even close, really. But that's not a bad thing. What power level were you looking for?

90% of his abilities are (basically) potion-like (without the potion level restrictions). This means that an ally has to take one of their own actions to benefit from them. How far ahead of time can they prepare a meal before imbuing it?

The spice-fu is relatively weak, but it can be of some minor assistance to his comrades by distracting the enemy. Perhaps allowing the corrorsive spice to cause damage? Or add in some other damaging spice?

I would suggest allowing the Spice of Life to aid allies in some way -- healing, bless, aid, etc.

Hope that helps.

MandibleBones
2010-02-01, 11:10 PM
Well. This is certainly one of the most...unique...classes I've seen. I would like to hear the story of why you needed a cooking-based character class.

That said, it really looks quite good. I don't think it is on a power level with other casters, not even close, really. But that's not a bad thing. What power level were you looking for?

90% of his abilities are (basically) potion-like (without the potion level restrictions). This means that an ally has to take one of their own actions to benefit from them. How far ahead of time can they prepare a meal before imbuing it?

The spice-fu is relatively weak, but it can be of some minor assistance to his comrades by distracting the enemy. Perhaps allowing the corrorsive spice to cause damage? Or add in some other damaging spice?

I would suggest allowing the Spice of Life to aid allies in some way -- healing, bless, aid, etc.

Hope that helps.

Well, as far as the food goes, it depends on what the Iron Chef imbues. A ham sandwich isn't going to last as long as, say, a caramel candy.

I didn't want to put him all power-heavy, since essentially a primary class feature is an item creation power without a set material cost or an XP cost.

Spice-Fu/Scary Spice are more to give some save-or-suck power to this buffer/debuffer. As for power level, somewhere around Rogue would be nice - I wasn't aiming for Wizard or CoDzilla.

MandibleBones
2010-02-01, 11:35 PM
Hmm. What if I were to add an additional ability at seventh level?

The Spice Must Flow! (Su)
At seventh level, the Iron Chef gains a greater understanding of the ways of herbs and spices. As an immediate action, he can remove any condition which he could cause with his Spice-Fu or Scary Spice abilities from any one ally within 30 feet. It costs one per-encounter use of either Spice-Fu or Scary Spice (as appropriate) to use this ability.

jojolagger
2010-02-02, 12:06 AM
I'd Change craft cook to profession cook.
also I'd put immunity to ingested posions at ~14 to precede to total immunity at 19.

DracoDei
2010-02-02, 12:48 AM
I had an NPC cleric I used once who actually had Food as a domain (I homebrewed it...).

What I want to mention here is that the only IC reason this guy got his BAB progression (well, other than the normal skills of a traveller to beat off bandits) was that he had studied weapon techniques to improve his Beni Hanna (sp?) style performance cooking... thus he was on the TWF track...
Since he was a halfling, and sometimes cooking for Large creatures, his Beni Hanna cooking gear was large enough that his +1 knife counted as a shortsword, and the +1 Flaming Meatcleaver a battle-axe (the Flaming was so he could also use it as a grilling surface by turning it sideways, and the enchantment let him control the heat with the precision of the finest of modern stoves... obviously the 1d6 damage thing was the "Hi" setting). Anyway you COULD give TWF/Two-Weapon Defense feats without disrupting TOO much if you find you need a power boost.

EDIT: I posted that domain somewhere, but you probably don't want it... what you MIGHT want is some of the magic candies and pastries that have been mentioned... look in my extended signature for "Gummi Spheres" and then look at that whole thread... then do a Google search of the site for "Bakesales for the Goddess of Vengeance" or something like that.

Matar
2010-02-02, 01:41 AM
This is -so- awesome. Also, note, I do not know -anything- about balance. I'm just suggesting ideas, that's all.

The food "spells" are Extraordinary effects. An Iron Chief does not use magic as we know it, but instead he works off of the mystic properties already found in nature. He does not "make" magic, simply enhances what is already there.

An Iron Chief always has a trademarked cooking utensil with him. This utensil grows more powerful along side the Iron Chief. Along with this, he grows more and more proficient with it, granting him a bonus to his AB when he wields it.

An Iron Chief may prepare a meal three times a day that grants a small yet increasing bonus to whomever eats the meal. This ability takes thirty minuets to use, and lasts six hours.

By working over the grill for so long the Iron Chief has gained a small amount of fire resistance.

Along with his great knowledge of cooking, an Iron Chief has an extensive knowledge of ingredients. He gains a +4(?) to survival checks. Along with this, he always gets the best possible price when shopping for ingredients.

Also, one last things.

Hero's Feast doesn't really... fit. I mean, he's supposed to cook his own food, not let magic cook it for him D: + he'd be better then anything a spell could conjure up >_>

DracoDei
2010-02-02, 01:44 AM
The final product for Heroes Feast makes perfect sense... but he should have to cook it himself...

Both my own homebrewed Food Domain and the Ebberon book include improved versions of that spell... mine can also be used as a splash weapon NEctar of the God's

Matar
2010-02-02, 01:49 AM
Also, True Seeing is on the list twice. Once in 3-Star Recipes and once in 4-Star Recipes.

DracoDei
2010-02-02, 02:09 AM
Awaken on the spell list seems kinda... random.

If the Scary Spice would otherwise have panicked the undead, the Iron Chef can choose to destroy the undead instead.
This destruction effect only works on Mindless undead, right?

MandibleBones
2010-02-02, 09:48 AM
Matar:

Let's replace True Seeing in the 3-star with See Invisibility, if it's not somewhere else on the list.

Agree with both of you that Heroes' Feast is the end result, but the Iron Chef will have to prepare it himself.

Not going to go the "trademark cooking utensils" route, but if you wanted to do that for your character, I'm sure you and I could work out a legacy weapon or something.

Maybe one of these? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oroshi_hocho)

DracoDei:

Yes, destruction only works on mindless undead - as does the turning effect. As far as I can recall (please correct me if I'm wrong), non-mindless undead aren't immune to mind-affecting effects and would thus be affected by Scary Spice normally, yes?

Awaken... I thought for animals only might be somewhat appropriate. Your mileage may vary.

I've seen your Benihana halfling somewhere else - I was highly amused.

MandibleBones
2010-02-02, 11:33 AM
So what about the two 20th-level abilities? Piece de Resistance doesn't seem to be that awesome as a capstone, but there's also a 1/encounter save-or-die, too, so that's a good thing. It should have a decent DC, as well - 20+CON Mod at that level.

What do people think?

DracoDei
2010-02-02, 11:35 AM
All undead are immune to mind-affecting effects (I just checked the SRD).

MandibleBones
2010-02-02, 12:28 PM
All undead are immune to mind-affecting effects (I just checked the SRD).

Well, bleh. Okay, let's make this affect all undead?

DracoDei
2010-02-02, 12:31 PM
Fear effects by-passing Undead immunity are fine. I just think the Turn/Destroy thing should be limited to mindless ones.

(And may I just say that the image of a Hopping Stomach being turned by spices is pretty funny?)

MandibleBones
2010-02-02, 12:37 PM
Fear effects by-passing Undead immunity are fine. I just think the Turn/Destroy thing should be limited to mindless ones.

(And may I just say that the image of a Hopping Stomach being turned by spices is pretty funny?)

I like it; I'll edit the text.

Matar
2010-02-02, 05:01 PM
Let's replace True Seeing in the 3-star with See Invisibility, if it's not somewhere else on the list.

Agree with both of you that Heroes' Feast is the end result, but the Iron Chef will have to prepare it himself.

Agreed. I still like my idea of taking 30 minuets three times a day to make a great and powerful meal. Which lasts six hours. I'm guessing the boost would have to be rather power though, and stack with other types of magic. I dunno.

Not going to go the "trademark cooking utensils" route, but if you wanted to do that for your character, I'm sure you and I could work out a legacy weapon or something.

Maybe one of these?

A legacy what?

And a French knife or Meat Clever would fit better, I think. They are sorta the trademarked cooking knives, ya know xD

Awaken... I thought for animals only might be somewhat appropriate. Your mileage may vary.

Two words: Brain food.

This whole class is basically about making extraordinary things happen with mundane food... with nothing but the power of COOKING!

jojolagger
2010-02-02, 05:19 PM
A legacy what?

A legacy item. basically it is a magic item the improves alongside the owner. There is a whole splat book for them. The are the second most complex items in the game.

also I feel explosive rum would be a good addition to this class:smallamused:

Milskidasith
2010-02-02, 08:38 PM
Stun is weaker than daze, so why do you get it later?

MandibleBones
2010-02-02, 08:42 PM
Stunned

A stunned creature drops everything held, can’t take actions, takes a -2 penalty to AC, and loses his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any).

Dazed

The creature is unable to act normally. A dazed creature can take no actions, but has no penalty to AC.

A dazed condition typically lasts 1 round.

Dazed is weaker than Stunned, actually.

Zexion
2010-02-02, 09:11 PM
I really, really, really, really like the idea.
Although, perhaps you should put in some specific spices that these cooks can buy to add special effects to their cooking?

jojolagger
2010-02-02, 09:16 PM
Like optional material components?

MandibleBones
2010-02-02, 09:17 PM
I really, really, really, really like the idea.
Although, perhaps you should put in some specific spices that these cooks can buy to add special effects to their cooking?

That's actually a great idea, but my brain is a bit fried from the base-wide exercise this week. It may have to wait :(

DragoonWraith
2010-02-02, 09:56 PM
Haha, this is awesome.

My only real comment is that you have the Spice of Life and... uh, the other one for Constructs, but you never actually said in Spice Fu or Scary Spice that those things didn't affect Constructs or Undead. You should say that they only work on living things, and then add constructs and undead. That should... just about cover everything. Constructs and undead are the only not-living things you can fight, right? Like, other than traps?

Bhu
2010-02-04, 04:18 AM
One of the funnier concepts I've seen. Congrats.

Bardic Ninja
2010-02-13, 01:15 AM
First of all, let me say that I love this new base class; it seems to fill a much needed niche and could work well in a low magic campaign or just whenever you need a relatively cheap alternative to potions. I say relatively because in the medieval inspired base setting for 3.5, salt is equal in value to silver pound for pound.

Second let me say that while I have never actually played D&D, I feel like I’ve read enough of the SRD to know what’s going on and make a few minor suggestions for spell like abilities.

Melayl said

How far ahead of time can they prepare a meal before imbuing it?

MandibleBones said

Well, as far as the food goes, it depends on what the Iron Chef imbues. A ham sandwich isn't going to last as long as, say, a caramel candy.

I think this little feature could nullify that question. Not sure what level it should be gained at.

It’s Just a Little Dirt
At will, by spending one minute working on a spoiled dish, the Iron Chef can replicate the effects of Purify food and drink (as the spell). This only works on dishes the chef has made himself.

In the same vein, I came up with this other SLA. I’m not as confidant about this as the first. Maybe it could be added to the recipe list instead?

Shoo!
A good chef can’t have vermin in his kitchen, even if it is just a clearing in the woods. To counteract this, a given number of times per day, the Iron chef may replicate the repel vermin spell, cast as druid of half his class level.

Again, I am completely new at this and may not actually have a single rank in Knowledge(good ideas). Feel free to reject my suggestions and tell me to go dive headfirst into a snowdrift.:smalltongue:

DracoDei
2010-02-13, 04:55 AM
Both of those are perfectly good ideas. Don't know about halving Caster Level... that effects duration might not be that long(I don't feel like checking right now), I don't know if it is very long for Repel Vermin, and cooking takes more than a few minutes usually.