PDA

View Full Version : Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

deuxhero
2010-02-02, 04:33 PM
My copy arrived yesterday (13 bucks off from Aamzon easily put it up much higher on my buy list).

I'm busy unlocking stuff between the occasional vs match defiantly more fun than Brawl is, this game actually has hitstun and speed!

Can anyone more familer with Onimusha tell me why Kaijin No Soki (Hideyasu Yuki) has two names in the manual and what I can refer to him as without looking stupid?

Brother Oni
2010-02-02, 04:46 PM
Yuki Hideyasu is the the character's actual name (and the name of a real historical person).

Kaijin no Soki is the nickname given to him by the townsfolk in Onimusha as he resembles the Oni god (it roughly translates to Oni of the Ash).

Drascin
2010-02-02, 06:04 PM
Have the game as well. It's pretty fun. I'm loving Yatterman, though it's hard to judge the range on his attacks correctly. I also tend to use Ken the Eagle, Tekkaman, Tekkaman Blade, Zero, Doronjo, and a couple more depending on fancy strikes.

Also, the PTX robot thing is incredibly fun. Not any good, but incredibly fun.

I'm impatient to get that LAN adapter to be able to connect my Wii with an ethernet cable, and be able to get my face smashed online :smallbiggrin:.

deuxhero
2010-02-02, 07:41 PM
"Not very good"? I can't figure out how to get out of a constant throwing against the wall! One grab and I am doomed. Even throw escapes and megacrashs seem to just be a temporary solution.

WillyFourEyes
2010-02-02, 07:59 PM
The "large" characters (such as PTX and Gold Lightan) don't have hitstun, either, which worried me at first, but I learned to time my Hyper Combos to start just after they launch their own big attacks.

Yami's third form is beatable, but can be immensely unfair with that grab move it does that cuts away about 60% of your health. There doesn't appear to be a way to block or interrupt it, either.

deuxhero
2010-02-02, 08:20 PM
@WillyFourEyes Just duck duck, slide slide

Drascin
2010-02-03, 03:16 AM
Yami's third form is beatable, but can be immensely unfair with that grab move it does that cuts away about 60% of your health. There doesn't appear to be a way to block or interrupt it, either.

Took me a few attemps to realize the trick - you just have to superjump :smallbiggrin:.

Mando Knight
2010-02-03, 02:27 PM
In honor of the US release, I decided to watch the Gatchaman OAV on Hulu... which for some reason isn't listed under Anime, just Animation.

Oregano
2010-02-03, 05:00 PM
Enjoying it a lot. Yami is definitely annoying and unfair(IMO) but I'm a real fighting game n00b. I use Kaijin No Soki and Zero mostly.

I've got to ask something a fighting game n00b though, is it common practice for people to spam the same move over and over?

Most of the people I've fought online just repeat the same moves... very annoying.

I'm loving Ultimate All Shooters as well.:smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2010-02-03, 05:05 PM
I've got to ask something a fighting game n00b though, is it common practice for people to spam the same move over and over?

*thinks*

Yes, it is, especially when it's a good move (like Cammy's heavy punch or almost any of Sagat's specials in SSFII). Some games like Smash Bros. punishes this behavior by killing the attack power of a move after repeated use, but I don't think Capcom vs Whatever games have that feature.

Jibar
2010-02-03, 05:07 PM

Most of the people I've fought online just repeat the same moves... very annoying.

It's frowned upon.

What's embarrassing is watching the preview games they did of Super Street Fighter IV where they brought in the top players to try it out. One of them just spams the special moves of all the new characters.
It's just... sad to watch.

Volug
2010-02-03, 05:27 PM
I main Karas and Vjoe.

I would have Ammy, if she was in. With the final boss you'd think she'd be >_____>

deuxhero
2010-02-03, 06:10 PM
I'd rather have Phoenix and Gene

Drascin
2010-02-03, 06:10 PM

Yes. Basically, you spam a move to force your opponent to deal with it (such as Hadoken spamming in SF) and hope they mess up/leave themselves open after dodging and you punish. And newbies do it because it's easy and if you're up against someone who doesn't know how to deal with it, well, it works.

In other news, I think I might have a chance to finally get my Wii online from Friday on. Let's see if I can still do anything even after four years of not touching a fighting game (hint: no chance in hell). Would people here be willing to exchange friend codes and engage in a few friendly matches?

Oregano
2010-02-03, 06:32 PM
In other news, I think I might have a chance to finally get my Wii online from Friday on. Let's see if I can still do anything even after four years of not touching a fighting game (hint: no chance in hell). Would people here be willing to exchange friend codes and engage in a few friendly matches?

I'll exchange FCs with you, you should be able to thrash me.

That's quite depressing about move spamming as well, that's not fun, even if you win.

Capcom have said that DLC might be possible by the way so you may end up with the characters you wanted.:smallsmile:

Mando Knight
2010-02-03, 06:36 PM
Capcom have said that DLC might be possible by the way so you may end up with the characters you wanted.:smallsmile:

Sweeeeet. I don't know Tatsunoko properties enough to hope for much of anything on that side, but Capcom has a lot to work with.

Drascin
2010-02-03, 06:45 PM
I'll exchange FCs with you, you should be able to thrash me.

Don't be so sure. I keep mispressing and my Classic's D-Pad hates me. You'll probably watch me do some stupid things as I do exactly the moves I don't want to do :smallbiggrin:.

Sweeeeet. I don't know Tatsunoko properties enough to hope for much of anything on that side, but Capcom has a lot to work with.

To be honest, I didn't know anything about Tatsunoko either, but this game has motivated me to learn more. I seriously want to watch Yatterman now.

As for the DLC, apparently Capcom said Phoenix Wright and Speed Racer are a definite possibility, but it all comes to Nintendo's say-so.

Dihan
2010-02-04, 05:20 AM
I'll probably buy this game at some point. I really do hope that Phoenix Wright gets made for DLC though.

Volug
2010-02-04, 08:57 AM
I know quite a bit about Tatsunoko without knowing who exactly they were.

My dad watched Battle of the Planets when he was my age, he's the one who bought the game, because of Ken the Eagle =\

Then my highschool Anime group showed the Karas movie... It made absolutely no sense what-so-ever, but it had good fight scenes >___>

Prime32
2010-02-04, 09:02 AM
I'll probably buy this game at some point. I really do hope that Phoenix Wright gets made for DLC though.They were going to put him in, but couldn't think up any attacks other than "point dramatically". They were going to go with an attack where he shouted his catchphrase and the letters fall on people, until they realised that translating the game into English would make it overpowered. :smalltongue: (it's four letters in Japanese)

Drascin
2010-02-04, 09:12 AM
They were going to put him in, but couldn't think up any attacks other than "point dramatically". They were going to go with an attack where he shouted his catchphrase and the letters fall on people, until they realised that translating the game into English would make it overpowered. :smalltongue: (it's four letters in Japanese)

I could think of a moveset myself, really. It's not so hard. Make the specials aforementioned pointing and catchphrases (objection knocks, Hold It stuns, etc), maybe adding some Doronjo-like minion-calling that called for Maya's ever-so-enthusiastic assistance. I can even picture a couple Ultras for him (the three bar could be summoning a court out of nowhere like Frank does with a zombie horde, and Guiltyfying the enemy into somewhere around 19 billion damage. Grapple Ultra, though).

Normal moves, pretty normal, I'm thinking pretty standard punches and kicks, fast to come out but with big delays afterwards, since Phoenix is trained in whipping his arms around dramatically but not so much with recovering from them.

Also, my LAN adapter just arrived. I should be able to play online in a couple hours, after I finish tidying the house a bit :smallbiggrin:.

Dihan
2010-02-04, 10:53 AM
They were going to put him in, but couldn't think up any attacks other than "point dramatically". They were going to go with an attack where he shouted his catchphrase and the letters fall on people, until they realised that translating the game into English would make it overpowered. :smalltongue: (it's four letters in Japanese)

I know and Phoenix Wright (along with Ingrid from Capcom Fighting Evolution) still may (http://www.destructoid.com/phoenix-and-ingrid-may-still-come-to-tatsunoko-vs-capcom-161456.phtml).

Kris Strife
2010-02-04, 02:01 PM
I'd like to see Ryu from Breath of Fire in one of the Capcom Vs games myself.

deuxhero
2010-02-04, 03:45 PM

He could throw various piece of evidence (and shout "Take That!" while doing it), do something with and explosive ! (HP bar from the first game) and impead movement somehow ("Hold it!")

Mando Knight
2010-02-11, 02:01 PM
They'll think of something. After all, they made Frank West a viable character... even against a perfectly balanced VS.

deuxhero
2010-02-11, 08:44 PM
Oh, Apollo Justice makes reference to Wright having a good uppercut (Suggesting "take that" be yelled during an uppercut, finding, as in from experience, it packs more force).

Mando Knight
2010-02-12, 11:15 PM
I'm currently having a blast of a time with Tekka-Blade and Zero... their Hypers combo rather easily off of their three-hit combos, and it's just fun to shout out OMNIDIRECTIONAL... SUPER VOLTEKKA!!!! as your opponent gets annihilated by a massive blue beam of awesome.

Altaria87
2010-02-13, 03:35 PM
Incidentally, does anyone know a way to get the Hyper Combos to work reliably? I've just got the game and mainly play as Batsu, Tekkaman, Soki and Ryu, and though I am having no trouble pulling off Hadoukens and Guts Uppercuts, I can never get the Hyper Combos to pull off with any real reliability :smallfrown:

Mando Knight
2010-02-13, 04:26 PM
I use the Classic Controller... and the R button (L+M+H) serves two functions:
1.) Quickly executing a dash (useful for chaining Y, X, A, R, Y, X, A, R ad infinitum for most characters, Y, X, >+A also works for some)
2.) Activating Hypers. The trick is that the non-simple controls need you to press two attack buttons simultaneously. R counts as three in one.

Altaria87
2010-02-13, 04:29 PM
*facepalms*
All this time I've been either mashing two buttons in quick succession, or mashing R twice. So basically, I just need to imput the movement while pressing R to do the Hyper Combos?

Mando Knight
2010-02-13, 04:32 PM
*facepalms*
All this time I've been either mashing two buttons in quick succession, or mashing R twice. So basically, I just need to imput the movement while pressing R to do the Hyper Combos?

That's basically it.

Also, master the Shoryuken motion. Jun's viability depends on it, as do several Level 3 Hypers.