PDA

View Full Version : Playing an Animal

Vulaas
2010-02-03, 03:02 PM
So, I'm looking at starting a campaign, and one player wants to play a druid. Powerful, but nothing out of the ordinary, except that another player wants to play an animal type character, so the druid can go in more of a buffing role. My question, though, is how can I accommodate this and what ways can make a PC into the Animal type and remain playable?

LibraryOgre
2010-02-03, 03:08 PM
Nigh impossible, due to the intelligence restrictions on an animal. The standard answer is "Anthropomorphic Animal" from Savage Species, which essentially gives you human-like intelligence, and is probably the best option.

Ormur
2010-02-03, 03:27 PM
He could play an awakened animal if he actually wants to play a quadrupedal animal, not just an anthropomorphic or animal-like species. The druid could have cast it on him so that could offer a roleplay angle. The lack of opposable thumbs would of course restrict what he could do or would at least require some creative builds.

Fhaolan
2010-02-03, 03:37 PM
If you're willing to look at third-party books:

http://skirmisher.cerizmo.com/items/93-the-noble-wild-pdf-download

Sinfire Titan
2010-02-03, 03:43 PM
Have him play a Duskling Totemist. All of a sudden, he's furry and dangerous, without sucking too hard.

Alternatively, Druid with Extend Wildshape or Bestow Curse+Mind Rape to permanently trap him in animal form with the belief that he is that actual animal.

Alternatively, have him play the Druid's Animal Companion. Unorthodox, but very possible if you know what to do.

magic9mushroom
2010-02-03, 03:48 PM
Don't allow Anthropomorphic animals. Well, at least don't allow the dreaded Anthropomorphic Bat Druid.

Susano-wo
2010-02-03, 04:37 PM
I think the biggest thing to do with playing an animal, is play, as people have said, and "awakened" animal of some kind....
or just play the animal as an animal. Perhaps its a little more perceptive RE humans and norms than most, or perhaps its just a loyal companion. Animals have instincts that can more than make up for a lack of understanding of why human X does Y
It also depends on what animal. Dog? Horse?(actually has some elements that can work better than most--there is no way a horse is 2INT--they have been cognitively tested at something along the level of a 9 year old, even by human standards of intelligence) OR are we talking something really exotic like a Tiger or Bear? Those are going to be much harder since there isn't going to be any sort of Herd/Pack mentality keeping them interacting with the other PC's

Also, if the person wants to play an "animal" but isn't attached to the animal creature type, magical beast might be an option

Vulaas
2010-02-03, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I have no idea how I forgot about 'awaken'. Silly me. Next question then, is should I have some sort of LA for it, or is the problem of racial hit dice enough, as even if they want to be a wolf, I believe we're looking at 4HD thanks to awakening. I asked they player, they're dead set on some sort of animal if this is feasible thanks to all the "animal only" buffs a druid can cast, but Awaken handles that nicely.

Thanks again everyone!

jokey665
2010-02-03, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I have no idea how I forgot about 'awaken'. Silly me. Next question then, is should I have some sort of LA for it, or is the problem of racial hit dice enough, as even if they want to be a wolf, I believe we're looking at 4HD thanks to awakening. I asked they player, they're dead set on some sort of animal if this is feasible thanks to all the "animal only" buffs a druid can cast, but Awaken handles that nicely.

Thanks again everyone!

Awakened animals become magical beasts :smallsigh:

Stephen_E
2010-02-03, 05:42 PM
The simplest way to have a player play an animal is to toss the silly "animal int score can't exceed 2" rule.
RL has plenty of evidence that animal int scores can definitely reach 3+, namely the limited ability to understand/use language.

The player creates stats as normal, but after assign stats converts the Int stat to "Animal Int"
19 = 7
18 = 6
16-17 = 5
13-15 = 4
9-12 = 3
6-8 = 2
3-5 = 1
Must have Animal Int score of 3+ to be played as PC.
Increases are made to base stat and converted to Animal Int. So if he has Int of 16 (Animal Int 5) and increase it by 1 he would remain at Animal Int of 5.

Communication - Either
1) simplicity - He can speak any tongue he understands. or
2) Realism - Has to talk through a "Speaking Mat" an advance ouja board type thing, have spells used, or the old "what do you want lassies. Heaps of RP possibilities. :smallwink:

Stephen E

Devils_Advocate
2010-02-03, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I think that the change in creature type makes most of the Druid's potential buffs unviable. You could house-rule that out, though. There's no really good reason for the weird hard limit on Animal Int. As Susano-wo points out, plenty of them are smarter than that in real life.

I've done some comparing of awakened animals to lycanthropes and concluded that they seem balanced at LA +0 so long as they're not smaller than Tiny nor bigger than Large.

You could just have the second player play the Druid's animal companion, maybe. That could be an interesting roleplaying experience. I wouldn't write it off off-hand.

Vulaas
2010-02-03, 05:45 PM
Awakened animals become magical beasts :smallsigh:

Augmented Animal. That's good enough for spell purposes, right?

hamishspence
2010-02-03, 05:54 PM
Star Munchkin suggested that if the character is Int 2, they should have a vocabulary of 20 words, and if 1, a vocabulary of 10 words.

But that's a more jokey D20 setting.

Devils_Advocate
2010-02-03, 06:17 PM
Augmented Animal. That's good enough for spell purposes, right?
Nope. It just indicates that awakened animals still use Animal hit dice (and 3/4 BAB) instead of Magical Beast hit dice.

But hey, you're the DM, so feel free to house-rule whatever you want. :smallcool:

Runestar
2010-02-03, 07:35 PM
Or play a worg. Closest thing to an awakened wolf, and better stats.

Cieyrin
2010-02-03, 07:59 PM

Thanks again everyone!

That is a hard question, actually, as animals vary significantly in their utility, that some are frankly more powerful than others of the same CR. Being Awakened just makes it harder. If Wizards could have been bothered to make a template for Awakened to cover this, we'd have a more definitive answer, but alas we do not. :smallannoyed:

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-02-03, 08:31 PM
Instead of having them be an animal have them play the alternate druid in PH2. Stay in their predator form all the time. . . .poof animal without all the difficulty. . . you'd have 2 druids. . . but still.

Ormur
2010-02-03, 08:56 PM
Ah, the problem by RAW is that whether you're playing an awakened animal with int over 3 or an animal-like creature with int over 3 then it becomes a magical beast and the animal only buffs don't work anymore.

I don't really see how you could realistically roleplay an int 2 animal. Interacting with the rest of the group beyond play/hunt/do-what-the-hoomans-want would be very limited. It might work in a plot-light campaign but despite debates on animal intelligence the fundamental barrier is communication.

Thurbane
2010-02-03, 09:03 PM
There are three basic answers to someone who wants to play an animal:

1. Anthro animal, from Savage Species. My 2 cents? Some of these are very, very weak, and some are almost broken good. Take a good look before allowing a player to take one.

2. An animal under an Awaken effect, which becomes a magical beast. This can also be problematic, as the rules on LA and such for an awakened animal are sketchy at best. Not to mention it can be exceptionally hard to be an adventurer without opposable thumbs.

3. Play an "animal-like" humanoid or monstrous humanoid race - gnoll, catfolk, centaur etc.; or an "animal-like" magical beast, such as a blink dog, worg or unicorn. (Maybe that should be classed as a 4th option).

...anything else will require heavy houseruling, and some serious cooperation between the DM and player to achieve something workable.

Stephen_E
2010-02-03, 11:55 PM
Ah, the problem by RAW is that whether you're playing an awakened animal with int over 3 or an animal-like creature with int over 3 then it becomes a magical beast and the animal only buffs don't work anymore.

I don't really see how you could realistically roleplay an int 2 animal. Interacting with the rest of the group beyond play/hunt/do-what-the-hoomans-want would be very limited. It might work in a plot-light campaign but despite debates on animal intelligence the fundamental barrier is communication.

Well if you disregard the silly rule that animals don't have Int over 2, you get around the problem with animal buffs not working on Magical Beasts.

So that leaves u interacting with a animal with low human int (3-6 if you follow my suggestion above) at which point communication becomes part of the plot. Keep in mind that there is an upside of the communication problem. People talk in front of "dumb" animals when they wouldn't talk in front of other people.

Stephen E

PS. In Pathfinder Animal Companions can use their +1 stat per 4 HD to raise their Int above 2 and remain animal companions.

Thurbane
2010-02-04, 12:23 AM
Here's a question...does an animal that dons a Headband of Intellect cease to be an animal, until the headband is removed?

Reminds me of that episide of Futurama where the professor develops a hat that makes a monkey super-smart while he's wearing it. :smallbiggrin:

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-02-04, 01:15 AM
Advice on playing an Animal:
Hand of the Mage. Now you can open doors, pick up keys, and drink at a bar.
If you don't speak, a Medallion of Thought Projection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#medallionofThoughtProjection) is a cheap but limited fix.
You are likely large, which is a good thing, but keep a couple potions or a Wand of Reduce Animal handy.
Prepare for NPCs to ignore you, speak over your head, and generally treat you like a dumb animal even after they know what you are. This is a good thing. I recommend a Hat of Disguise so that you can conceal your bling and look like a dog instead of a wolf(or whatever). That way you can wander around the enemy camp and look stupid.

You are an animal, but smarter, not a furry human. You think differently. I recommend playing a pack animal, as it's hard to justify anything based on a Tiger traveling in a group. Food is vital to you. Study whatever species you plan to be long before picking up the dice.

And remember, peeing on the jerk is always an appropriate response. :smallbiggrin:

Stephen_E
2010-02-04, 01:43 AM
Here's a question...does an animal that dons a Headband of Intellect cease to be an animal, until the headband is removed?

Strictly speaking by RAW, yes, it ceases to be an animal.

Stephen E

Stephen_E
2010-02-04, 01:48 AM
You are an animal, but smarter, not a furry human. You think differently. I recommend playing a pack animal, as it's hard to justify anything based on a Tiger traveling in a group. Food is vital to you. Study whatever species you plan to be long before picking up the dice.

Loved your suggestions, but 1 note.
Tigers, indeed most felines are social animals.
Big cats tend to solo due to food constraints, not because they don't like company.
In an adventuring party it can be assumed food isn't a problem (eat those you kill for a start). Why does a Tiger hang out with the party? Because it likes them, finds them interesting ect.
Of course why they find them interesting, and how they express those feelings, as you have pointed out, can be expected to be somewhat different to a human.

Stephen E

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-04, 01:51 AM
ect....is for ectoplasm?

Sstoopidtallkid
2010-02-04, 01:59 AM
Loved your suggestions, but 1 note.
Tigers, indeed most felines are social animals.You must know different cats than I do. :smalltongue:
And that's part of why you should study these things. Half-remembered episodes of Crocodile Hunter are not good enough. :smallwink:

Lycanthromancer
2010-02-04, 02:08 AM
Play a wombat. Name her Digger (www.diggercomic.com), and Play. Her. Just. Like. That.

There's no way you can go wrong. :smallamused:

hamishspence
2010-02-04, 03:52 AM
You must know different cats than I do. :smalltongue:

I suspect it's more domestic cats and lions that are truly social.

However tigers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger

while territorial, have been known to share kills amicably.

(though I'm not sure how reliable Wikipedia is in this case)

Ravens_cry
2010-02-04, 04:10 AM
Read Watership Down (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watership_Down), Duncton Wood (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncton_Wood), Call of the Wild (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_the_wild), and White Fang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Fang)for some inspiration on role playing an animal character. Mechanically, I think the closest to full animalness would be to play an awakened animal. Yes, by the definition of animal in-game you are not an animal anymore, but the animal feel is still very much there, as you most likely don't have thumbs or hands. This will require some mature and inventive role play, but I like the idea immensely. If you feel it and/or the player won't disrupt the game I think you should go for it.

Stephen_E
2010-02-04, 07:09 AM
You must know different cats than I do. :smalltongue:
And that's part of why you should study these things. Half-remembered episodes of Crocodile Hunter are not good enough. :smallwink:

Since I didn't watch crocodile hunter I'd have trouble half-remembering them. :smallwink:

Seriously if you think housecats aren't social you haven't studied them enough.
They aren't pack animals, but like man, they are social. How do you think cats get on in a household? They like company.
To be fair they used to think Tigers didn't socalise, untill they started using remote cameras with night capability. Turns out they do a lot of there socalising at night.
Keep in mind that been large apex predators they have certain physical limitations in many of their natural envioriments. This is different from claiming they don't socalise. And if you look at envioriments where food isn't a issue (because humans are providing food) they socalise more.

Stephen E

Susano-wo
2010-02-04, 05:18 PM
I think it sounds like house ruling it so the PC counts as an animal for the purposes of spells is probably the best solution, if it wouldn't bug the DM that much, since that benefit seems to be a big reason that he wants to play an animal (or at least a big reason he is hung up on being classified that way)

Also, good point about Tigers being social, though it would be odd to have a tiger that cared to travel along with humans, which is where unusual intelligence can play a good role. Also helpful: players like me who think the idea is fun and cool enough to not care if it seems unbelievable :P

Stephen_E
2010-02-04, 07:34 PM
Also, good point about Tigers being social, though it would be odd to have a tiger that cared to travel along with humans, which is where unusual intelligence can play a good role. Also helpful: players like me who think the idea is fun and cool enough to not care if it seems unbelievable :P

It's all in the backstory. :smallwink:

I can think of a pair of German Stage Magicians who if they'd been adventurers could probably have found a Tiger willing to adventure with them amongst their family of cats that share house with them.

Stephen E

Flarp
2010-02-04, 08:16 PM
There's several very mundane magical beasts with human-level (or above) intelligence that could easily pass as plain old animals.

The Bearhound from MM3 comes to mind, for example.

Susano-wo
2010-02-04, 08:41 PM
I can think of one german stage magician, maybe....the other one, lets see, oh yeah! HE GOT EATEN! :smallyuk:
That wasn't a companion, that was forcing a wild animal to do tricks >.>

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-04, 08:53 PM
Rule 99- when in doubt... Homebrew?
His character was a savage, intelligent rank 0 animal before the Awaken ability of some vastly powerful spellcaster brought him into a permanent state of high intelligence. Or perhaps in your world, some animals are just born as capable as humanoids are?

If he wants to play it, and you're happy to let him, work the rules around your game. Don't work your game around the rules.

Stephen_E
2010-02-04, 09:09 PM
I can think of one german stage magician, maybe....the other one, lets see, oh yeah! HE GOT EATEN! :smallyuk:
That wasn't a companion, that was forcing a wild animal to do tricks >.>

No he didn't get eaten. He got bitten, and continued to work with that Tiger after he got better.
There is considerable doubt as to whether the Tiger actually attacked him. The official line is that there was an incident with a audience member which resulted in the magician falling over and the tiger tried to drag him clear. Unfortunately cats haul family around by the scruff of the neck. Humans don't have scruffs.
I'd also note that it wasn't a case of a wild animal been forced to do tricks. It was a family member been taught to do tricks. If you had ever seen much about the way those cats are raised you'd realise that they operate as a family, in which some members are human and some are big cats, rather than constrained wild animals. Indeed it's probably the closest thing to a RL Animal Companion that you'll ever see.

Stephen E

Susano-wo
2010-02-04, 09:30 PM
Eaten was tongue in cheek. thus the smiley. As well as the caps. Thought that was telegraphed enough.

NOw as to the incident itself, I had not heard those details, though it does seem like the official story is perhaps not the most authoritative...given that they have a vested interest in a positive spin. Though I am biased--I think a Tiger is much different than a domestic cat. You can't put a Tiger in the same situations and think everything is going to be ok.

Now from my limited [read: google] research, it seems from several sources, though none of them to my satisfaction [the owner of the club, and his partner in cat performing are, again, hardly impartial], that it indeed was not so much an attack as not following the performance routine, and unintentionally hurting Roy when he tried to move Roy out of the way.

Just found one that isn't totally favorable, on the Reader's digest website, I found this comment interesting: "Whatever the cause, horrified stagehands backstage sprayed the tiger with a fire extinguisher to get him to free Roy. When that failed, they beat the animal about the head with the butt end of the extinguisher. Montecore finally ran to his cage. The tiger, they later learned, had torn Roy's jugular vein, barely missing the carotid artery."

The other stories either left this part out, or said they "used a technique" to get him to release Roy.

So yeah, maybe he wasn't attacked, and maybe he was. He apparently has an extreme animal magnetism, and it could have been that the Tiger really just didn't know his strength.