PDA

View Full Version : What is the Slender Man?

Pages : 1 [2]

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-16, 08:50 PM
Now that I've watched all of Marble Hornets, I've discovered I'm more creeped out by Masked Man than I am Slender Man.
I was taking a nap, facing the wall, and then I woke up, realized it was night, and remembered the video where he was watching Jay sleep. Just sitting there, watching him.
And I whipped around like woah.

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-16, 08:55 PM
Sorry. You said "when it's not a nightmare you find yourself in" so I thought you were saying lucid dreaming + nightmare = bad.
Try reading, I don't know, the entire rest of the post. :smalltongue: What I said was that I wrested control of my first Slender Man nightmare away from my unconscious and killed the bastard, never to be troubled again.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-16, 08:56 PM
Try reading, I don't know, the entire rest of the post. :smalltongue:

Nasty habit of mine is to ignore everything that I'm not responding directly to. :smalltongue:

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-02-16, 10:59 PM
Now that I've watched all of Marble Hornets, I've discovered I'm more creeped out by Masked Man than I am Slender Man.
I was taking a nap, facing the wall, and then I woke up, realized it was night, and remembered the video where he was watching Jay sleep. Just sitting there, watching him.
And I whipped around like woah.

Same here. I find Slendy pretty cool actually. After the first night or two of being freaked out by him, I watched Marble Hornets, started reading stories and finding the history of Slender Man, as well as studying up on how this particular nightmare was formed. (He falls right in the middle of the Uncanny Valley (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UncannyValley), for one thing. Not to mention Nothing is Scarier (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NothingIsScarier)) I can study him, I can become interested in him, I can find lots of cool stuff about him. The masked man? Not so much. Not mentioned in any other Slender Man story. I know nothing about him, so he's scary.

I keep suddenly looking around in bed for him too.

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-16, 11:01 PM
Not to mention Nothing is Scarier (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NothingIsScarier)
What the heck is the picture of? A cat's eye? :smallconfused:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-17, 07:25 PM
Am I the only person who was a bit disappointed by the newest MH video? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_rA7gQl95w)

Although it got a bit creepier after I thought on it.

Innis Cabal
2010-02-17, 08:18 PM
I think part of it has to do with the fact that we got to see most of the whole thing all at once. Which helps set the mood. Here, we're not going to see whats next, so its a little odd.

Kulture
2010-02-17, 08:24 PM
My apologese on my failure to ask permission for the use of the avatar, normally I would, but for some reason I had forgotten when I originally adopted it, so sleep deprivation is a safe bet on my part.

As a result of the superb work on said avatar, I'm currently working on turning Slender man into a PC in the pathfinder rule system.

Hopefully Aberrant sorcerer will be sufficient....15ft reach, after all.

Recaiden
2010-02-18, 12:51 AM
Hmm. Zalgo-related nightmares since reading this thread. Thanks, all. :smallwink:

The slender man himself...nothing.

Pocketa
2010-02-18, 01:53 AM
Don't feel like sorting, probably been answered, here:

There is a website known as 4chan. I can't link it, Google it if you must. It's based on Japan's 2chan, "Futaba". Most Japanese people use their cell phones to access the Internet, just as we use computers. Their cell phones have specialized Internets depending on what carrier they use, the same way a Verizon user can't (usually) access Sprint's network.

Futaba was made to be viewable on simple computers and phones, and it's a very culturally significant site over there. If you're familiar with Rickrolls, LOLcats, image macros, and other Internet injokes, you have 4chan to thank/blame. Different boards have different themes, from the infamous /b/ (random) to the quiet /tg/ (traditional games).

There is a site known as SomethingAwful. As its name suggest, it is not work safe at all. They have "Photoshop Phridays" where they show off the photoshop work of members, usually relating to one theme. Many threads and posts do not make the cut.

One of the threads involved taking images and making them "creepy". There was a tutorial on how to do it. Most people created stuff like ghosts, faces, or images that had hidden images inside that would scare you once you realized they were there, or just images that were disturbing or creepy in general. One person created something known as the Slender Man. The Slender Man is a tall man who supposedly targets children (and some adults) and whisks them away, a man who is always watching but whom we never see. The number of Slender Men and their general behavior is unknown. He is portrayed as having a ton of arms, like an octopus but not that tentacley.

This made it over to /x/, a board on 4chan dedicated to the paranormal. Somebody who was really into the Slender Man mythos (all user generated content) started a video blog sort of thing about it. It became an ARG, complete with a wiki, a twitter, scheduled posts, clues, etc. It is known as Marble Hornets.

The Slender Man is a meme, an injoke, and entirely user created. As far as I know, nobody has the copyright to Slender Man or related memes.

Whilst searching this subject, I chanced upon a most disturbing thing. Below is an extract for you to read; the accuracy of this may or may not be disputed.

It seems the Slender Man is not modern myth after all...

Found to be inconclusive. /x/ did its research.

Slenderman is just a SA creation propogated via 4chan.

Fri
2010-02-18, 07:23 PM
It seems that someone is missing the point of the thread :smalltongue:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-18, 07:54 PM
There is a website known as 4chan. I can't link it, Google it if you must.

I have never heard of this 4chan. Obviously I need to lurk moar. :smalltongue:

Raiki
2010-02-18, 09:11 PM
Wow, I can't believe this thread has reached almost 10 pages. I don't know if that's awesome or horrifying.

On a side note, can anyone think of a comfortable (and cheap, preferably) way of making someone about 2 feet taller. I'm slowly but surely working on my SM cosplay costume, but this has really hung me up. All the lifts and stilts I've found are either horribly unweildy, terribly uncomfortable, or very expensive.

OMG HE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

~R~

Pocketa
2010-02-18, 09:20 PM
It seems that someone is missing the point of the thread :smalltongue:

Who? Me? What point?

I really don't care if people want to play pretend, I'm stating what Slender Man is.

Dispozition
2010-02-19, 12:29 AM
Who? Me? What point?

I really don't care if people want to play pretend, I'm stating what Slender Man is.

It's already been done quite a few times in the thread. At this point, it's down to people telling of their experiences.

Inhuman Bot
2010-02-19, 01:18 AM
I'm actually scared fairly easily for the most part, but am unimpressed by this.

Blackdrop
2010-02-19, 04:49 AM
Having just watched the episode of Supernatural where the MotW was created because people believed that it was real, I am now going to go hide under the covers and pray that I never have to leave the safety of the windowless side of the basement.

Coplantor
2010-02-19, 06:21 AM
So, they say that he goes after those who look for him and investigates his existance... So, wich page will mark the coming of the Sleder Man , page 50?

Deth Muncher
2010-02-19, 08:13 AM
Hey, so without reading too much of this thread (I already got to page 4, and say the unspoilered picture of him -shudder-), I wish to offer my psychological advice in the form of an anecdote.

When I was a young child, my father started reading me The Hound of the Baskervilles. Young me simply was not ready to deal with the concept of unholy demon-dogs, and proceeded to start having nightmares. My solution? I had to do kind of a lucid dream/daydream in which the Hound walks up, takes its head off and reveals itself to be Garfield in a large scary outfit, thus showing myself that it was not, in fact, scary at all.

How does that apply here? Well, you've got to try to find something similar to the SM, but not in the least bit scary - Jack Skellington works well, though if you're too scared it might just ruin NMB4Xmas for you.

Renegade Paladin
2010-02-19, 11:30 AM
Hey, so without reading too much of this thread (I already got to page 4, and say the unspoilered picture of him -shudder-), I wish to offer my psychological advice in the form of an anecdote.

When I was a young child, my father started reading me The Hound of the Baskervilles. Young me simply was not ready to deal with the concept of unholy demon-dogs, and proceeded to start having nightmares. My solution? I had to do kind of a lucid dream/daydream in which the Hound walks up, takes its head off and reveals itself to be Garfield in a large scary outfit, thus showing myself that it was not, in fact, scary at all.

How does that apply here? Well, you've got to try to find something similar to the SM, but not in the least bit scary - Jack Skellington works well, though if you're too scared it might just ruin NMB4Xmas for you.
I actually had the exact same problem reading The Hound of the Baskervilles for the first time at around eleven years old; the edition I had was partially illustrated and had a very convincing plate of the Hound advancing right at the viewpoint of the person looking at the picture, snarling and looking for all the world like it was about to tear my throat out. Had nightmares for a long time before mastering the art of the lucid dream and shooting the damned thing. :smallyuk:

Reinholdt
2010-02-21, 11:26 PM
I finally figured out why my location says I'm hiding.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-21, 11:28 PM
:: rightclick,block images from Reinholdt's photobucket account::

Reinholdt
2010-02-21, 11:30 PM
:: rightclick,block images from Reinholdt's photobucket account::

But... but... :smallfrown:
My shortest lived avatar ever it seems.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-21, 11:39 PM
But... but... :smallfrown:
My shortest lived avatar ever it seems.

You might as well keep it. I don't remember how to unblock images on Firefox.

Reinholdt
2010-02-21, 11:42 PM
You might as well keep it. I don't remember how to unblock images on Firefox.
Tools.
Options.
Content.
Second Exceptions button.
i455.photobucket.com in the address bar. Allow.

Pocketa
2010-02-22, 01:00 AM
It's already been done quite a few times in the thread. At this point, it's down to people telling of their experiences.

It seems like too many people still think the SM is real or potentially real. PhotoShop PhotoShop PhotoShop.

Drakevarg
2010-02-22, 01:04 AM
It's largely either a) sarcasm or b) people attempting to wish him into existance via mass belief. An unlikely (As in borderline-impossible. I say "borderline" because if it DID happen it wouldn't be impossible, now would it?) occurance, yes. But wouldn't life be more interesting if Slender Man WAS real?

Terrifying, yes. But interesting. [/ollivander impression]

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-22, 01:11 AM
Oh, trust me. If you don't think I tried to remind myself Slendy was entirely made up by SA and perpetuated by 4chan while I tried to sleep late at night, you've greatly underestimated me.
Like many scary movies and ghost stories, Slender Man is scary anyways, with or without being real.

Helanna
2010-02-22, 09:40 AM
. . . people attempting to wish him into existance via mass belief. An unlikely (As in borderline-impossible. I say "borderline" because if it DID happen it wouldn't be impossible, now would it?) occurance, yes. . . .[/ollivander impression]

The real question here is, if enough people believe that you can will something into existence through belief, will it become possible? :smalltongue:

And honestly I think 4chan itself may be scarier than the Slender Man. Of course, I say that now, when it's light out . . .

Drakevarg
2010-02-22, 10:02 AM
The real question here is, if enough people believe that you can will something into existence through belief, will it become possible? :smalltongue:

...yes?

On the other hand, here's another thought regarding the whole "belief creates reality" thing;

What if the world really WAS flat, but when people studied it they came to the (incorrect) conclusion that the world was in face round. The theory gained popularity until enough people believed the world was round that it BECAME round. Thus proving the theory correct and leaving it solidified to this day.

Similarly, Earth used to be the center of the universe until some guy named Galileo came around and started a rumor that we revolved around the sun, which gained popularity until it became fact.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-22, 10:07 AM
Found to be inconclusive. /x/ did its research.

Slenderman is just a SA creation propogated via 4chan.

Why can't it be both? Why can't SA created a real creature. Same way there was a fake Bigfoot created even though there really is a Bigfoot.

About 75 % of all Bigfoot pictures are spoofs, but the others are real (trouble is discerning which is crap).

Same way Columbus discovered America even though America was already discovered by other people (Viking, Native Americans, etc).

banjo1985
2010-02-22, 11:14 AM
Wow, did I get to this thread late...

Read the whole thing and watched Marble Hornets. As far as internet scare-myth-story-thingies go, this is quite well done and creepy enough to at least get your hackles up.

I am seriously going to enjoy writing this into my next World of Darkness game :smallamused:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-22, 04:50 PM
It seems like too many people still think the SM is real or potentially real. PhotoShop PhotoShop PhotoShop.

Killjoy.

And besides, I've tried reminding myself it's not real. Doesn't work.

Also, am I the only person who wants to get some sort of Alternate Reality Game or something (keyword being something; ARGs take a lot of work) going?

Also, this may be old news to some people, but if one listens closely to (or turns the volume up on) Entry #24, you can hear some music.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-02-22, 06:54 PM
Ok guys, I went hiking up Stone Mountain of Georgia yesterday and got some great pics. Was noticing one however that I don't recall taking at all and noticed something that made me grin at first. I was like, 'Nawww' but then I zoomed up... and that doesn't look like a tree.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2rfvb4p.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/mt8iz4.jpg

Am I just seeing into this or what?

Innis Cabal
2010-02-22, 06:57 PM
It dosn't look like the Slender Man either. So your probably pretty safe. I mean, he'd have to be -huge- like, beyond tall to appear that big on the photo. And while he's tall, I don't think he's -quite- that tall.

Good find though.

Raiki
2010-02-22, 07:39 PM
Well. It was nice knowing you VT. Do us a favor and let us know when the insanity kicks in? Then we'll know when we have to worry about him shifting focus to one of us.

Good luck. Don't go to any abandoned houses after dark. Avoid windows. Write everything down for posterity.

~R~

Deth Muncher
2010-02-22, 07:41 PM
O_o VT, I've been to that mountain. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU. Thanks. Now I'm dead too. And I sleep next to a window.

chiasaur11
2010-02-22, 07:47 PM
It's the dreaded photoshop edit.

I saw it kill three men once. And then it ate the computer.

Drakevarg
2010-02-22, 07:54 PM
It dosn't look like the Slender Man either. So your probably pretty safe. I mean, he'd have to be -huge- like, beyond tall to appear that big on the photo. And while he's tall, I don't think he's -quite- that tall.

Good find though.

I've always been under the impression that the Slender Man was somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 feet tall. Either that or an Eldritch Abomination whose statted hieght is "whatever he wants it to be."

My usual reference point is the scene in Marble Hornets when he's creeping around the windows at the front door.

Innis Cabal
2010-02-22, 09:57 PM
I've always been under the impression that the Slender Man was somewhere in the neighborhood of 15-20 feet tall. Either that or an Eldritch Abomination whose statted hieght is "whatever he wants it to be."

My usual reference point is the scene in Marble Hornets when he's creeping around the windows at the front door.

That wouldn't but him anywhere close to 15-20 feet. Nine to ten, maybe. But if your windowsill at ground level is fifteen feet off the ground at the base, those are -damn- big windows.

Drakevarg
2010-02-22, 10:18 PM
I was more considering the fact that when he was peering into the window bit directly over the door, he was bent halfway over to get his face level with above the door. Using my own door as a reference, that window is 8 feet above the ground, and he's stooping to see into it.

That's pretty big.

Jayngfet
2010-02-22, 10:28 PM
I find myself wondering: Exactly how scary is slendy and his reed richards on crack powers when the other guy has a gun of some sort?

Drakevarg
2010-02-22, 10:43 PM
You're misunderstanding what Slender Man is. He's not just some tall guy. He's basically Cthulhu in a suit.

Innis Cabal
2010-02-22, 10:45 PM
I was more considering the fact that when he was peering into the window bit directly over the door, he was bent halfway over to get his face level with above the door. Using my own door as a reference, that window is 8 feet above the ground, and he's stooping to see into it.

That's pretty big.

Window=/=Door. Probably not a good comparison.

Not to mention, he didn't have to duck through the doorway -all- that much to get in when we do see him walking into the one guys room.

But seen from just outside the window, he easily fits into it only a few feet away. Also, when he leans out from behind the house to look at them in the car, he's not really all that tall, with distance being taken into consideration. I'd still say roughly 9 feet to 10 feet being the max hight the Slender Man is.

Luckily having never seen him, I can't give you an accurate guess. But the photo is probably just a tree. The Slender Man accounting for distance would have to be well beyond twenty feet tall, I mean, look at him next to the closest person in the picture.

Drakevarg
2010-02-22, 11:25 PM
Window=/=Door. Probably not a good comparison.

I was refering to the semicircle window located directly above the door.

Not to mention, he didn't have to duck through the doorway -all- that much to get in when we do see him walking into the one guys room.

But seen from just outside the window, he easily fits into it only a few feet away. Also, when he leans out from behind the house to look at them in the car, he's not really all that tall, with distance being taken into consideration. I'd still say roughly 9 feet to 10 feet being the max hight the Slender Man is.

Luckily having never seen him, I can't give you an accurate guess. But the photo is probably just a tree. The Slender Man accounting for distance would have to be well beyond twenty feet tall, I mean, look at him next to the closest person in the picture.

Hence my earlier comment of him being an Eldritch Abomination whose hieght is probably "whatever he wants it to be/whatever would be scarier in this particular instance."

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-02-22, 11:27 PM
Hence my earlier comment of him being an Eldritch Abomination whose hieght is probably "whatever he wants it to be/whatever would be scarier in this particular instance."

This. I'm pretty sure he stretches. (Though I've only ever seen references/pictures to him between about 8 and roughly 16 feet tall. In fact, I think that's what somebody posted in the original SA thread, but I could be wrong.)

Syka
2010-02-22, 11:52 PM
I haven't read this thread in a long time. I went to go get my notebook out of the trunk.

I failed. >> I don't know why but as soon as I stepped out into the dark I got chills and thought of the Slender Man. :smalleek: Needless to say, I beelined it back inside...sans notebook.

Also, VT. I hate you. I loved going to Stone Mountain as a kid and now I'll always be thinking Slender Man, lol.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-22, 11:58 PM
I started reading this thread/researching Slender Man at 3 AM. In the dark.
It's now 6 AM, in the dark.
I was already paranoid.

This was not a good idea...

SurlySeraph
2010-02-23, 12:20 AM
I find myself wondering: Exactly how scary is slendy and his reed richards on crack powers when the other guy has a gun of some sort?

There are various stories in the Something Awful thread. One of them involves US troops in Germany during WWII who bump into a German soldier running away from Slendy near the Black Forest. Gunfire does not work on him.

I recall some stories in the thread about that vague mysterious Slenderman-tracking organization noting that no weapon they have tried against him worked. I think flamethrowers and mortars were mentioned as possibilities but not attempted.

Jayngfet
2010-02-23, 12:53 AM
There are various stories in the Something Awful thread. One of them involves US troops in Germany during WWII who bump into a German soldier running away from Slendy near the Black Forest. Gunfire does not work on him.

I recall some stories in the thread about that vague mysterious Slenderman-tracking organization noting that no weapon they have tried against him worked. I think flamethrowers and mortars were mentioned as possibilities but not attempted.

Bullets probably wouldn't work, since he doesn't seem to have bones to hit, or organs that aren't very flexible and durable.

What of say, slashing weapons. Those tendrils, they aren't that thick. They probably wouldn't stand up to a machete, or an axe.

Drakevarg
2010-02-23, 01:10 AM
Bullets probably wouldn't work, since he doesn't seem to have bones to hit, or organs that aren't very flexible and durable.

What of say, slashing weapons. Those tendrils, they aren't that thick. They probably wouldn't stand up to a machete, or an axe.

First rule of anything scary; you can't kill it. Thats why I laughed at that guy's comment a few pages back that he'd killed Slendy in a DnD campaign. If Slender Man is capable of being dealt with in any direct manner, UR DOIN IT WRONG.

The Slender Man is only a corpreal entity when he decides to be. Sometimes he may simply be a hallucination on the part of the victim. Other times he may be made of shadow.

Other times, he may again simply go the Cthulhu route: something is chasing you. You nuke it. Now something angry and radioactive is chasing you. Good job!

Jayngfet
2010-02-23, 01:38 AM
Of course if he's only corporeal when he chooses to be those limbs need to be solid to attack you. I am in general of the school of thought that says if something is invulnerable and ominescent it is therefore boring. If there's no chance anything you do will have any outcome, what's the entire point of the story?

Drakevarg
2010-02-23, 01:39 AM
Of course if he's only corporeal when he chooses to be those limbs need to be solid to attack you. I am in general of the school of thought that says if something is invulnerable and ominescent it is therefore boring. If there's no chance anything you do will have any outcome, what's the entire point of the story?

To hope you're the Final Girl, in which case the invulnerability it has shown so far will suddenly vanish and you can kill it until the sequel.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-02-23, 01:42 AM

Its boring in a story, yes.
But as a myth? As an urban legend?
No.
Its terrifying, and that's its point.

Jayngfet
2010-02-23, 01:43 AM
To hope you're the Final Girl, in which case the invulnerability it has shown so far will suddenly vanish and you can kill it until the sequel.

..Or I could not go off on my own into the dark areas, stick with the group, not go off for a quickie and distract myself, go in with an actual plan, and in general not act like the kind of idiot you find in these movies.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-02-23, 01:44 AM
Hmmmm, Slender Man, the movie...hmmm

Drakevarg
2010-02-23, 01:44 AM
Its boring in a story, yes.
But as a myth? As an urban legend?
No.
Its terrifying, and that's its point.

I personally find any horror story where the source of the horror can be beaten less interesting.

Now SURVIVED is entirely different story. If its a story where once this thing decides to kill you you're doomed, no exceptions, that's boring. If its a story where theres no possiblity of defeating your enemy but its possible to escape it? Still allows for suspense and therefore can make a good story.

I find the idea of killing Slender Man as ludicrous as shooting a tornado to death.

..Or I could not go off on my own into the dark areas, stick with the group, not go off for a quickie and distract myself, go in with an actual plan, and in general not act like the kind of idiot you find in these movies.

Sorry - Death By Genre Savvy. There is no escape unless the plot wants there to be.

Jayngfet
2010-02-23, 01:56 AM
Sorry - Death By Genre Savvy. There is no escape unless the plot wants there to be.

Looking at the TV tropes page. Looks like the only way that works is when you sit around yakking on about how the movie is supposed to go, instead of actually grabbing something to defend youself and doing something. You don't draw attention to yourself by talking, and you don't give the killers ideas by saying how this goes. Death by genre savvy is just another way stupid horror movie people die.

Drakevarg
2010-02-23, 02:06 AM
Looking at the TV tropes page. Looks like the only way that works is when you sit around yakking on about how the movie is supposed to go, instead of actually grabbing something to defend youself and doing something. You don't draw attention to yourself by talking, and you don't give the killers ideas by saying how this goes. Death by genre savvy is just another way stupid horror movie people die.

No, discussing your genre savviness immeadiately before death only gives you extra irony points. Besides, Death by Pragmatism is also a trope.

Jayngfet
2010-02-23, 02:14 AM
Big difference between being smart and acting like a jackass. I said nothing about sacrificing anyone, or else barricading myself alone where I'll be found by the monster and killed.

Drakevarg
2010-02-23, 02:19 AM
Big difference between being smart and acting like a jackass. I said nothing about sacrificing anyone, or else barricading myself alone where I'll be found by the monster and killed.

You also have to consider that it's really hard to defend yourself against an immortal entity that practically specializes in Offscreen Teleportation.

Of course, Slendy never really seems to do anything but scare people ****less and turn them into paranoid wrecks, but being "smart" doesn't seem to help. Other than the ultimate genre savvy maneuver; DON'T GET INVOLVED.

Also, discussing Slender Man immeadiately before bedtime = bad idea.

Crimmy
2010-02-23, 09:30 AM
Hmmmm, Slender Man, the movie...hmmm

Nnnno... Please...

:eek:NOOOOOOOOOOO!!:eek:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-23, 05:17 PM
So... I came home from school today. It was a pretty normal day, if a bit snowy. In my yard, there was a grocery bag. Not abnormal or anything, sometimes they just float away from people, right? So I picked it up to throw it out... but there was a note in it. It was folded neatly in fourths... I couldn't resist... I opened it... and this (http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt258/TDF_Monotype/SlenderMan.jpg) is what I found...

I think I'm next, guys. :smallfrown:

chiasaur11
2010-02-23, 05:51 PM
Invincible?

That's what they say at the beginning of every Robert E Howard story there ever was.

Tends not to be the case. Even if the hero don't win, the thing tends to take a beating.

Neon Knight
2010-02-23, 07:47 PM
I looked at all the stuff, and I have to say...

I'm not impressed. He stretches. He's freakin' stretchy! Maybe he's made out of rubber. If so, I can think of one or two crude ways to kill him.

People have already made the Nightmare Before Christmas Connection, but honestly he reminds me more of a more well dressed Mr. Bill. The stark white of his features in some of the pictures just brings up that connection for some reason.

Overall, I'd rank this one below, say... Mothman. Because Mothman has apparently been seen at Chernobyl, which 3 games worth of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has convinced me is hell on earth.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-23, 08:06 PM
Other times, he may again simply go the Cthulhu route: something is chasing you. You nuke it. Now something angry and radioactive is chasing you. Good job!

Funny you say that because Cthulhu has been beaten a couple times: a steamboat, Ghostbuster busters, etc.

It isn't that you can't beat Cthulhu but that he returns again and again (usually years apart).

Drakevarg
2010-02-23, 08:13 PM
I looked at all the stuff, and I have to say...

I'm not impressed. He stretches. He's freakin' stretchy! Maybe he's made out of rubber. If so, I can think of one or two crude ways to kill him.

I don't get where people get the whole "he's stretchy" thing. He doesn't go Mr. Fantastic on anyone. He's got more in common with Freddy Krueger than anything. And you don't so much beat Freddy as survive him. (Freddy vs Jason doesn't count.)

Again, I think people need to stop equating Slender Man to a movie monster of some sort. I just find the idea of him being able to be dealt with in a direct manner insulting. Again, think of him as a vaguely humanoid weather effect. You can't kill a tornado, but you can survive it.

He's the anthropomorphic personification of paranoia, and if you could cure paranoia by punching it in the face, it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Coplantor
2010-02-24, 06:27 AM
Maybe you can get used to him or ignore him till his gone, like a giant squid.

albis
2010-02-24, 12:06 PM
I had never known about The Slender Man before now (I vaguely recall its name, though.... but I remembered it being "the Thin Man"... meh, same difference XD)
I must say... cool! XD
This kind of stories isn't really numerous in Italy =(

Pinnacle
2010-02-24, 12:18 PM
First rule of anything scary; you can't kill it. Thats why I laughed at that guy's comment a few pages back that he'd killed Slendy in a DnD campaign. If Slender Man is capable of being dealt with in any direct manner, UR DOIN IT WRONG.

Much like werewolves, vampires, ghosts...
Maybe ordinary people can't kill him, but killing the unkillable is a DnD hero's job.

Neon Knight
2010-02-24, 12:22 PM
I don't get where people get the whole "he's stretchy" thing. He doesn't go Mr. Fantastic on anyone. He's got more in common with Freddy Krueger than anything. And you don't so much beat Freddy as survive him. (Freddy vs Jason doesn't count.)

It's his appearance. He looks like he's the "Elastic Man" or something dressed up in a Halloween costume. He looks stretchy.

Also, I don't see how he is like Freddy. Freddy is a bit more... personable. He has personality and flair. This guy just has tons of mystery and internet hype.

Again, I think people need to stop equating Slender Man to a movie monster of some sort. I just find the idea of him being able to be dealt with in a direct manner insulting. Again, think of him as a vaguely humanoid weather effect. You can't kill a tornado, but you can survive it.

The thing is, those movie monsters? They're more effective than he is. I can kill a Velociraptor with an AK-47, but I'm far more scared of them than I ever would be of this guy. Predator? Kill-able. The Xenomorphs from Alien/Aliens? Kill-able. John Carpenter's The Thing? Difficult, but kill-able. Cthulhu? Not kill-able, but driving a boat through his head is a one hit KO. Still dealable with in a direct manner. Jaws? Smile, you son of a bi-(boom!) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU1imWEByHE). Kill-able. And I find all of them be far more effective than this guy. And it isn't a matter of budget; they're just far more effective designs than this guy.

In fact, mortality isn't the real crux of the issue; I just find the monster design to be really underwhelming and ineffective. Mothman and all the creatures I mentioned before are much more effective.

Also, weather isn't scary unless it is directly threatening you. I've never found disaster movies and the like to be particularly thrilling.

He's the anthropomorphic personification of paranoia, and if you could cure paranoia by punching it in the face, it wouldn't be much of a problem.

I don't really get that vibe. If he was the personification of paranoia, wouldn't he embody paranoia? And be himself paranoid? None of the descriptions seem to fit that. Instead, he seems to be like the Greek furies, except he bothers the "paranoid" instead of the guilty. The "paranoid" being ordinary people who see him completely at random and who he proceeds to totally screw with before killing them in very silly, over the top ways.

As memes go, I prefer Candle Ja

Revanmal
2010-02-24, 12:41 PM
As memes go, I prefer Candle Ja

You're doing it wrong.

Candle Jack doesn't abduct you till after yo

EDIT: In all seriousness.

If Slenderman was made into a movie, I would watch the crap out of it. If they did it right, anyway. Make it like the original Jaws: we never see him until the very end, but his presence can be felt throughout the entire movie.

Drakevarg
2010-02-24, 01:01 PM
Much like werewolves, vampires, ghosts...
Maybe ordinary people can't kill him, but killing the unkillable is a DnD hero's job.

If that were actually true, I would quit DnD. I will never sit through a campaign where Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DidYouJustPunchOutCthulhu) is actually an option.

Also, I don't see how he is like Freddy. Freddy is a bit more... personable. He has personality and flair. This guy just has tons of mystery and internet hype.

Like Freddy in the sense that his gig is screwing with peoples heads, not stretching.

The thing is, those movie monsters? They're more effective than he is. I can kill a Velociraptor with an AK-47, but I'm far more scared of them than I ever would be of this guy. Predator? Kill-able. The Xenomorphs from Alien/Aliens? Kill-able. John Carpenter's The Thing? Difficult, but kill-able. Cthulhu? Not kill-able, but driving a boat through his head is a one hit KO. Still dealable with in a direct manner. Jaws? Smile, you son of a bi-(boom!) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU1imWEByHE). Kill-able. And I find all of them be far more effective than this guy. And it isn't a matter of budget; they're just far more effective designs than this guy.

*grabs checklist*

Lesse, I never found Velociraptors scary, just badass. Same with the Predator. Xenomorphs were only scary in the first movie, when directly confronting them would only get you killed. The Thing? Sure, we made a really big boom, but its death was never confirmed. Cthulhu was killable in the sense Godzilla is killable; he goes away for a bit, but never stays dead. Only, y'know, after absolutely screwing over everyone in a hundred mile radius. Jaws was never scary or badass. It was a friggen shark with an inexplicable obsession with one boat.

In fact, mortality isn't the real crux of the issue; I just find the monster design to be really underwhelming and ineffective. Mothman and all the creatures I mentioned before are much more effective.

Fair enough. He does have a minimalist design. I personally find his appearance fairly bland as well. It mostly works on a "if this happened in real life" type of setting, where yes a 10-15 foot tall guy with no face would indeed be weird.

I usually try to focus on his mannerisms than his appearance. For example I always imagine that were he in motion he would be either really twitchy or move like an oversized spider. Marble Hornets seems to go for the latter. But the thing I focus on most is his head. When he's just standing there, have you ever notice that his head is usually lying limp like that of a hanged man?

Also, weather isn't scary unless it is directly threatening you. I've never found disaster movies and the like to be particularly thrilling.

Weather doesn't stalk you either. I'm not using weather as a metaphor for why he's scary (I've personally sat through storms that tossed 6-foot thick trees around and didn't bat an eye), I'm using it as a metaphor for why you can't kill him. He's not ALIVE in a normal sense. He's just a giant ball of crazy that takes a roughly humanoid shape.

I don't really get that vibe. If he was the personification of paranoia, wouldn't he embody paranoia? And be himself paranoid? None of the descriptions seem to fit that. Instead, he seems to be like the Greek furies, except he bothers the "paranoid" instead of the guilty. The "paranoid" being ordinary people who see him completely at random and who he proceeds to totally screw with before killing them in very silly, over the top ways.

If you followed the Sandman school of Anthropomorphic Personificiation. I was thinking more in regards to your Furies example. He's more an anthropomorphic personification of his VICTIM'S paranoia.

And I've personally always ignored the whole "Slender Man plays Operation using living people" thing. I find knowing what he actually wants reduces the mystery, and therefore interst, in him. So at least in my own Fanon, Slender Man ruins peoples lives and screws with their heads for no decernable reason. Or maybe for ****s and giggles. Who knows.

Neon Knight
2010-02-24, 05:55 PM
Fair enough, for the most part. I will say your version of Slender Man seems to be the better. He may not do it for me, but if you've got an idea of him that works for you, rock on.

Jayngfet
2010-02-24, 05:57 PM
Funny you say that because Cthulhu has been beaten a couple times: a steamboat, Ghostbuster busters, etc.

It isn't that you can't beat Cthulhu but that he returns again and again (usually years apart).

And if he comes back from the first nuke, whell, you have more than one nuke. Hell, he can survive one but how about two at once? Three? We don't need to fire them off one at a time, or even in single digits. If a steamboat can knock him out for a bit we'd probably render him a vegetable eventually.

Drakevarg
2010-02-24, 06:08 PM
And if he comes back from the first nuke, whell, you have more than one nuke. Hell, he can survive one but how about two at once? Three? We don't need to fire them off one at a time, or even in single digits. If a steamboat can knock him out for a bit we'd probably render him a vegetable eventually.

And that, kiddies, is what Discontinuity is for. So you aren't obligated to acknowledge stupid things as ever having happened.

Perhaps I just have an overinflated view of what Cthulu is supposed to be, but an entity so utterly alien that looking at it pulls a Divide by Zero on your brain should not be even targetable by nukes.

And for my next trick, I shall be giving the color Blue a lethal injection.

Jayngfet
2010-02-24, 06:16 PM
He still exists in some tangible form in this world. The fact that he's really freaking huge and scary looking is really only terrible until you realise the fact that there are scientists building models of what sort of living beings would operate on ailen physics as we speak. We've got scientists working on things far more alien that a big green squid man, and we've already started understanding worlds beyond our universe.

He's really only scary if you discount the sorts of things the human can actually take and what science has already reconciled. He's only an alien monster until we figure out how he works, and we will. If our human eyes can't see all of him we have cameras and goggles that can see better than we can. There's no rule that says we have to go back to the dark ages and use our naked eyes and cry witchcraft here folks.

He's not really that scary because he's only a threat if you assume science hasn't advanced since the roaring 20's.

Neon Knight
2010-02-24, 06:51 PM

That is not dead which can eternal lie.

And with strange aeons even death may die.

Yes, I'm being silly. :smalltongue: That's not precisely what that is supposed to mean. I'm just pulling a weak joke here.

chiasaur11
2010-02-24, 09:29 PM
Look. We're being silly. Nukes won't work against these things.

You need manly fists and a BFG, attached to a heroic psycho with a tendency to ramble to himself. The slender man is either very dumb, or wetting himself in terror at the thought.

Coplantor
2010-02-25, 06:24 AM
...He's not really that scary because he's only a threat if you assume science hasn't advanced since the roaring 20's.

If you consider that he and pretty much everything related to him operate in a non euclidan universe, then science has as many chance of understanding him today as it did two thousand years ago.

Jayngfet
2010-02-25, 06:29 AM
If you consider that he and pretty much everything related to him operate in a non euclidan universe, then science has as many chance of understanding him today as it did two thousand years ago.

Which kinda falters when you factor in that we have men working fine and dandy with Non Euclidan things now. Again, we are literally funding things to figure out exactly how alien universes in no way shape or form are, and what lives there. We didn't do that in the 20, we didn't 2000 years ago. We have people working on it as we speak and making bounds and strides. We're literally working on this sort of thing right now. Throwing around Non Euclidan and alien universe doesn't work anymore, sorry.

Coplantor
2010-02-25, 06:34 AM
Which kinda falters when you factor in that we have men working fine and dandy with Non Euclidan things now. Again, we are literally funding things to figure out exactly how alien universes in no way shape or form are, and what lives there. We didn't do that in the 20, we didn't 2000 years ago. We have people working on it as we speak and making bounds and strides. We're literally working on this sort of thing right now. Throwing around Non Euclidan and alien universe doesn't work anymore, sorry.

You know too much, expect a visit.

Jayngfet
2010-02-25, 06:36 AM
You know too much, expect a visit.

This is of course why I lie about where I live to everyone, and previous tracking attempts have wound up wrong by a wide margin. Paranoia has it's advantages. Good luck.

Coplantor
2010-02-25, 06:39 AM
This is of course why I lie about where I live to everyone, and previous tracking attempts have wound up wrong by a wide margin. Paranoia has it's advantages. Good luck.

You dont know us, we have our methods, by the way, you should change that shirt, it doesn't look good.

Jayngfet
2010-02-25, 06:42 AM
You dont know us, we have our methods, by the way, you should change that shirt, it doesn't look good.

I don't know you, so I have no reason to feel threatened. Get /b/ angry at me then I'll go running.

Coplantor
2010-02-25, 06:54 AM
I don't know you, so I have no reason to feel threatened. Get /b/ angry at me then I'll go running.

Oh gosh those guys are scarier, THEY operate out of modern science

Jayngfet
2010-02-25, 07:10 AM
Oh gosh those guys are scarier, THEY operate out of modern science

They're scarier because they operate within it. They have computers and accounts and options. Get them pissed and thats a small army. Do something terrible and **** hits the fan. They aren't indescribable horrors, the internet and it's people can drive you to suicide and we can see the how and motivation. Whats scary isn't being forced to do something terrible with some kind of brain parasite or having a monster teleport in and kill you in it's mode of choice. Whats scary is seeing people snap and type things that will drive another human to suicide, or else pull out a random object and bust a hole in your head, and you know in the back of your head there's just a thin rice paper wall separating you from them. Slender Man isn't scary since a human is more likely to attack you for reasons you can see and do worse.

Helanna
2010-02-25, 01:07 PM
Well, if nothing else, at least this thread has given me a wonderful idea for my next project in Graphic Arts class. I have some awesome places to take pictures for it too, if only it weren't 20 freakin' degrees out with heavy winds and a storm predicted for later tonight . . .

Starbuck_II
2010-02-25, 01:54 PM
And that, kiddies, is what Discontinuity is for. So you aren't obligated to acknowledge stupid things as ever having happened.

Perhaps I just have an overinflated view of what Cthulu is supposed to be, but an entity so utterly alien that looking at it pulls a Divide by Zero on your brain should not be even targetable by nukes.

Dividing by zero is inifinity: I'm not scared of infinity. Why are You?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-25, 01:58 PM
Dividing by zero is inifinity: I'm not scared of infinity. Why are You?

It outnumbers you infinity to one. I think the better question would be why you aren't afraid of it. :smallwink:

Edit: Ok guys, I'm freaked out now. I'll admit those last two posts of mine where fabricated. Obviously. But I signed onto MSN today and I got this, and it's scared me boopless.

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt258/TDF_Monotype/wtfforrealthistime.jpg

I don't know who this is. I don't know how they got my email. I don't know why. I figured it belonged here because I remember something like this happening in one of the universes (I can't remember if it was one of totheark's videos or if it was Just Another Fool, though), but if anything else happens I'll probably take it elsewhere.

chiasaur11
2010-02-25, 04:06 PM
It outnumbers you infinity to one. I think the better question would be why you aren't afraid of it. :smallwink:

Because some of us know The Code.

Fifty to one's a tough fight for anybody. Five hundred to one's easier.

Infinity to one is a cakewalk.

Jayngfet
2010-02-25, 05:48 PM

Edit: Ok guys, I'm freaked out now. I'll admit those last two posts of mine where fabricated. Obviously. But I signed onto MSN today and I got this, and it's scared me boopless.

http://i617.photobucket.com/albums/tt258/TDF_Monotype/wtfforrealthistime.jpg

I don't know who this is. I don't know how they got my email. I don't know why. I figured it belonged here because I remember something like this happening in one of the universes (I can't remember if it was one of totheark's videos or if it was Just Another Fool, though), but if anything else happens I'll probably take it elsewhere.

That's probably someone on the internet having some fun, it's vague enough and crazy enough to say things without actually meaning anything.

Infinite what exactly? Not exactly threatened by infinite cupcakes, or infinity billion dollars.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-25, 06:04 PM
That's probably someone on the internet having some fun, it's vague enough and crazy enough to say things without actually meaning anything.

It probably is just that, especially since those words are the words from the video "Version" by totheark, with one difference (yes, I looked it up now). But how did they find me? I've always been fairly private about my email and such. I suppose if somebody REALLY wanted to freak me out, they could find me, but why go though all that trouble just for me?

Plus, when you're afraid your mind jumps to conclusions.

Jayngfet
2010-02-25, 07:27 PM
It probably is just that, especially since those words are the words from the video "Version" by totheark, with one difference (yes, I looked it up now). But how did they find me? I've always been fairly private about my email and such. I suppose if somebody REALLY wanted to freak me out, they could find me, but why go though all that trouble just for me?

It still happens from time to time. I'm careful myself but I've been hit by spambots and such a few times.

Plus, when you're afraid your mind jumps to conclusions.

This is of course why a lot of this stuff works.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-25, 07:52 PM
It still happens from time to time. I'm careful myself but I've been hit by spambots and such a few times.

True. I doubt it's a spambot, though. If it is, it's got a pretty damn narrow focus.

He IM'd me again. He never logged on to do it, but that's fairly easy with the "appear offline" option of MSN. No picture this time, but the text is as follows (it had a strange alignment. I can't get it to show in the post itself, but quoting should show it if you care to see it):

Me says:
Tell us
You have
been keeping
secrets.
Smile for
the camera.

This confirms it for me that the first wasn't just a coincidence. Whoever is doing this definitely knows Marble Hornets.

Thinking back, it's possible (but not probable, because why me?) that this is whoever runs the totheark account, as I commented there.

Jayngfet
2010-02-25, 08:13 PM
Just block him, it's what I do whenever something along these lines happens.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-25, 08:18 PM
Yeah, that's probably best. Don't know why I didn't think of that before. :smallconfused:

Edit: But if I suddenly disappear, ya'll know why.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-02-27, 03:56 PM
So, the person who was IMing me? My friend pulling a cheap joke on me. Suppose I deserve it, since I was trying to freak them out with all the stuff from the videos. Mystery solved, now I'm back to only being afraid of being stalked when I'm out waiting for the bus in the morning.

Amiel
2010-03-01, 11:48 PM
And here I was, thinking you were putting us on...

Wait, should I apologise for "inflicting" Slender Man upon you all?
:smallbiggrin: I mean, :smallfrown:

Thufir
2010-03-02, 05:45 AM

Yeah, as you learn in general relativity, spacetime in this universe is non-Euclidean, so that's not really something to be scared of.
Note: This is not a commentary on Slender Man, Cthulhu or any other scary thing, just on geometry.

Pinnacle
2010-03-02, 11:15 AM
But geometry is scary.

Silly Wizard
2010-03-02, 03:22 PM
This Slender Man thing is freaking me out. I've been looking him up for like two hours now. Note that it's 3:34 in the afternoon. Broad daylight, lights on in my dorm room. Somehow, it's still freaking me out.

Fan
2010-03-02, 03:43 PM

That kills the point of Cthulhu, and wouldn't work in the first place, as he'd just keep coming back, there are no limits to how much he can do this, and The Steam Boat thing didn't actually work.. He just turned into mist around it, and reformed before nodding off back to bed because the stars weren't right.

If they are right, and you know he's up. You have enough time to shoot yourself before Azathoth gets up.

Jayngfet
2010-03-02, 07:16 PM
That kills the point of Cthulhu, and wouldn't work in the first place, as he'd just keep coming back, there are no limits to how much he can do this, and The Steam Boat thing didn't actually work.. He just turned into mist around it, and reformed before nodding off back to bed because the stars weren't right.

If they are right, and you know he's up. You have enough time to shoot yourself before Azathoth gets up.

Then you just keep hitting him every day. It doesn't need to work forever, just until we load up the next few rounds. Just because it doesn't work forever doesn't mean it won't work long enough.

If punching Cthulhu once doesn't work, punch him in the face infinite times forever.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-02, 08:30 PM
This Slender Man thing is freaking me out. I've been looking him up for like two hours now. Note that it's 3:34 in the afternoon. Broad daylight, lights on in my dorm room. Somehow, it's still freaking me out.

*Offers stuffed animal* It helped my friend, it might help you.

And as a side note, I dragged my friend into the Slender Man mythos with MH, and am close to dragging a few others in.

And another side note, I'm still anxious for totheark's response, personally.

blackouttwo
2010-03-10, 05:38 AM
Hey-o. Long-time watcher of MH, first time posting in this thread.

Interesting developments with totheark's new video. Looks like Jay's in a spot of trouble. Me, and two other playgrounders have been discussing totheark's identity at length, and discussing various important details about the entire series of events leading up to now. Thus far, we believe we are either dead on, or very close. Whichever it is, we think we've got totheark's identity figured out. If anyone so desires, myself and my fellow speculators will take the floor.

DISCLAIMER: Totheark is almost certainly not Rick Astley, the Burger King, or a member of Anonymous.

Amiel
2010-03-10, 06:04 AM
DISCLAIMER: Totheark is almost certainly not Rick Astley, the Burger King, or a member of Anonymous.

Maybe they are Anonymous :smalleek:

Incidently, was planning on siccing this on some friends of mine. Yea or nay, Playground? Yea or nay.

blackouttwo
2010-03-10, 06:07 AM
:smallbiggrin: Yea.

KuReshtin
2010-03-10, 07:01 AM
Maybe they are Anonymous :smalleek:

Incidently, was planning on siccing this on some friends of mine. Yea or nay, Playground? Yea or nay.

Considering you sicced it on all of us, why not? :smallsmile:

blackouttwo
2010-03-10, 07:53 PM
And now, the long-awaited speculation and theories of blackouttwo and his not-so-secret compatriots, Darkcomet and Inigo Montoya!

*plays recorded applause*

Alright, we all know totheark is clearly Tim, right? Masked guy shows up, hints at Tim being totheark's secret identity, etc. Well, we might've been off.

See, we've noticed something. Entry 22, Alex goes somewhere with a cameraman. The cameraman's identity is never confirmed, but it's believed to be the same cameraman who's been working with him on Marble Hornets the entire time. Towards the end of Entry 22, Alex mentions a guy called 'Seth.' We believe this 'Seth' to be the cameraman for the Marble Hornets film crew, and the guy Alex took with him to check out the place they went to.

Now, as Alex's state of mind deteriorated, he began recording himself everywhere he went. He was clearly indiscriminate in who else he let handle these tapes, because he gave them to Jay after he called off production of Marble Hornets.

Given this kind of track record, it's not difficult to assume that Seth the cameraman would have ready access to the exact same tapes prior to Alex handing them off to Jay, since Seth(by our theory)would be the cameraman, and might've even been involved in editing the videos.

As a cameraman, and likely a film student himself(possibly even a friend of Jay and Alex), Seth would have the skills necessary to edit and delete segments of audio and video from all of the tapes he had access to. He would also have had his own camera, and probably a tripod to set it up on.

Now, given the contents of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn42IHeear4) video, it's safe to say that totheark has been observing Jay for some time. Specifically, ever since before Alex halted the production of Marble Hornets, and therefore, before Alex handed the tapes containing most of the Entries off to Jay.

In other words, totheark knew that some way, somehow, Jay would end up reviewing the tapes, and was observing him even back then. He'd been sitting on that footage of Jay going back to the car for a camera battery for three years. Totheark can't be Jay or Alex, because at the time Jay went back to the car, Alex was continuing on, and ran right into the Slender Man.

This narrows down the list of suspects considerably: Tim, Brian, Sarah, and Seth. Tim did not seem to be good with film techniques, as he was presumably not a film student. He did not know Alex personally, nor did he know Jay all that well. Tim was friends with Brian.

Brian may or may not have been a film student, but he was the lead actor for Marble Hornets. Sarah's background is indeterminate. Whoever totheark is, s/he has made a pointed effort to not be spotted.

Seth was only ever mentioned by name once(even though Alex has spoken to whom we believe to be Seth on at least one occasion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT25GyRBHy8&feature=channel)), and has yet to be seen on-camera(unless that was Seth at about 2:15-2:25, in which case, he's still only appeared on-camera once, and was never spoken to by name - Also, as a side note, Entry 9 is where totheark posted his first response to the Entries. Might not be important, but just figured it note-worthy.), so he would fit the bill perfectly.

He would have access to the tapes, including the ones with missing audio, which he has also posted on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVtGwViUILk&feature=response_watch). He would be in on everything that was going on, as Alex had brought him with him to the unknown location seen in Entry 22, meaning Alex trusted him enough to take him along and not believe he's crazy(presumably).

Now, up comes the matter of the Masked Man. MM has attacked Jay, and evidence has mounted up that MM is Tim. Evidence has not mounted up that MM and totheark are the same person. They could very well be different individuals who are working together, or possibly even have individual goals.

I've identified six distinct parties involved in the events so far: Jay, Alex, the Masked Man, Slender Man, totheark, and the Marble Hornets crew(Tim, Brian, Seth, and Sarah, assuming one or more these individuals aren't assuming the identities of Masked Man or totheark, and that totheark and Masked Man are not the same person).

The underlying point here is that totheark was viewing Jay even back when the movie was being filmed. That means that, even if totheark isn't Seth, whoever it is has been in on this whole mess for the last three years, and has only stepped forward recently. Whoever totheark is knew Jay would be involved in all of this three years beforehand.

Thoughts, ladies and gentlemen?

Graymayre
2010-03-10, 09:00 PM
Is there seriously a thread on this?

Maybe next we can talk about the Grifter Video.

blackouttwo
2010-03-10, 10:11 PM
:smalleek:
Is there seriously a thread on this?

Maybe next we can talk about the Grifter Video.

:smalleek:

No. Just no. :smalleek:

Coplantor
2010-03-11, 05:48 AM
What is this Grifter Video that causes so much panic in a person like Blackoutwo?

KuReshtin
2010-03-11, 06:30 AM
What is this Grifter Video that causes so much panic in a person like Blackoutwo?

Seconded? What's the Grifter Video?

Dispozition
2010-03-11, 07:10 AM

Seconded? What's the Grifter Video?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=grifter+video

Ikialev
2010-03-11, 04:41 PM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=grifter+video
Oh, a google link. How clever.
But this particular link doesn't provide ANY information, and there isn't even a youtube link in first results. How would copying some information about this video harm you?

Raiki
2010-03-11, 05:52 PM
::hangs head and sighs:: Okay, here we go. There is no grifter video. It was started on 4-chan (maybe by a Something Awful troll, nobody really knows) as a joke. It was an exercise in gullibility. It was supposed to be some video that was so scary that either A) you were traumatized for the rest of your life, or B) you just killed yourself. A bunch of people jumped on board, and it became a forced quasi-meme a while back. I will repeat for those who weren't listening the first time: There. Is. No. Grifter. Video.

Now, can we please get back to the very real and very important topic of how to evade the Slenderman's notice?

~R~

RabbitHoleLost
2010-03-12, 01:17 AM
Being a semi-occasional visiter to the /x/ boards of 4chan, I can attest to the fact that there is no Grifter video.
Its used to troll newbies to /x/

Dispozition
2010-03-12, 01:20 AM
Oh, a google link. How clever.
But this particular link doesn't provide ANY information, and there isn't even a youtube link in first results. How would copying some information about this video harm you?

I'm saying, why do you have to sit in a thread and go "wut is grifter video tell my plox". Why not just go to google and look for yourself.

Mr. Moon
2010-03-14, 06:18 PM
So.
I only just discovered the Slenderman mythos this spring break (thanks, Blackout). In all fairness, I've been aware of Slenderman for quite some time, but I recently finished MH and Just Another Fool, and I must say, I'm rather impressed. Slenderman's a very interesting character. Hell, after watching MH, I had to get up and make sure the doors were all locked, which is highly out of character for me.

I've got an idea. Something I think might be fun to do.
The plan is to get a new, hardbound sketchbook or journal, and fill it with sketches of Slenderman and insane ramblings. Slowly descending into madness. And when it's nice and full, I'd take it out to one of the many woods not far from where I live, go off the trail a bit, and leave it there, for someone to stumble across.

Why?
For teh lulz, mostly.

Raiki
2010-03-14, 06:57 PM
How would that work, though? You would never know if anyone ever found it. And even if someone did find it, how do you know they wouldn't just throw it away?

I appreciate the concept, it would be great if things like this worked, but I think it would most likely just be a big investment for no payoff. Though, I must admit, if even the remote possibility of someone finding it provides you with lulz, then the ratio of work to payoff is drastically altered.

~R~

tyckspoon
2010-03-14, 06:59 PM
How would that work, though? You would never know if anyone ever found it. And even if someone did find it, how do you know they wouldn't just throw it away?
~R~

Solution: Make it a geocache.

Raiki
2010-03-14, 07:02 PM
Solution: Make it a geocache.

I must admit that I'm unfamiliar with the term. Would I be incorrect in assuming some form of gps tracking?

~R~

Mr. Moon
2010-03-14, 07:16 PM
That it is, Raiki. There's a site devoted to the practice of geocaching - http://www.geocaching.com/. My mum does it from time to time, it's actually a lot of fun.

And yes, it is a very remote chance that whoever finds it, if it is even found, will care enough to find out more. One possibility is to put an email address in it. I was debating getting in contact with Dav Flamerock, as from what I've seen from him, I believe he'd be interested. But, I can't seem to find his email, so...
I dunno. I don't want to use my own email, because I don't want anyone in town to know it was me.
Although, honestly, even if I just leave it there and never hear about it again, I wouldn't mind. Just the idea that someone is freaking out over the sketchbook is enough for me.

However, geocaching is an option, yus.
I will consider this.

Graymayre
2010-03-14, 08:16 PM
Part of the Grifter video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koBdTGu58Wc)
Who isn't real now?

Raiki
2010-03-14, 08:42 PM
Part of the Grifter video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koBdTGu58Wc)
Who isn't real now?

So because some guy went to /x/ and decided to make a video based on the video that doesn't exist, it somehow becomes legit?

Personally, having watched the video, I have no urge to An Hero, nor do I feel any inclination to hide in my closet and cry myself to sleep. Vis a vis, this cannot be the "real" grifter video.

~R~

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-03-14, 09:22 PM
Actually, with the notebook, I've been making one of those on the bus for a while now. Making people think you're insane is always fun. I'm planning for it to be an elaborate prop for a Slender Man adventure for my D&D group. I'm slowly getting them more freaked out about him OOC. They suspect nothing. Then one day, they'll drop into a little village, and find out about a poor cleric of Sehanine who went crazy and killed his wife and then himself, find this journal, and hopefully get very freaked out. I still haven't come up with a possible ending to this. I know they can't kill Slendy, but they won't want to just flee, and giving them a random TPK won't be much fun for anyone...

And I think you can't find Dav Flamerock because he's not a real person. I'm pretty sure he was a fake persona adopted by someone who was 'in' on the JAF blog, and used to act as an outside force for story purposes. I mean really, he couldn't be a SM researcher when it's a clearly documented fake created on the internet.

The Geocache idea is interesting, but I think it'll be likely to kill the interest if someone knows it was planted by someone with the mental faculties to plant a cache and then upload the coords. Maybe drop it in an already existing cache, or just near enough one that if someone went searching for one, they'd be likely to find the other?

Graymayre
2010-03-14, 09:42 PM
So because some guy went to /x/ and decided to make a video based on the video that doesn't exist, it somehow becomes legit?

Personally, having watched the video, I have no urge to An Hero, nor do I feel any inclination to hide in my closet and cry myself to sleep. Vis a vis, this cannot be the "real" grifter video.

~R~

The video is called Grifter Video. Therefore, it must be a Grifter Video. :smalltongue:

Mr. Moon
2010-03-14, 10:16 PM
Actually, with the notebook, I've been making one of those on the bus for a while now. Making people think you're insane is always fun. I'm planning for it to be an elaborate prop for a Slender Man adventure for my D&D group. I'm slowly getting them more freaked out about him OOC. They suspect nothing. Then one day, they'll drop into a little village, and find out about a poor cleric of Sehanine who went crazy and killed his wife and then himself, find this journal, and hopefully get very freaked out. I still haven't come up with a possible ending to this. I know they can't kill Slendy, but they won't want to just flee, and giving them a random TPK won't be much fun for anyone...
I don't suppouse you'd scan your notebook and show me some of what you've made? It'd be nice to see them, so I'll have a better idea of where to start.
Although, in all fairness, I'm probably not gonna get around to this for a while, unless I can convince my art teacher to let me use it as a project.

And I think you can't find Dav Flamerock because he's not a real person. I'm pretty sure he was a fake persona adopted by someone who was 'in' on the JAF blog, and used to act as an outside force for story purposes. I mean really, he couldn't be a SM researcher when it's a clearly documented fake created on the internet.
Ahhh. Well, he does have a website (although, in all fairness, that's easy enough to do) (http://sites.google.com/site/davflamerock/), and a friend of mine, upon questioning, told me that Dav was fairly common in the ARG setting.
Ah well. I'll think of something.

The Geocache idea is interesting, but I think it'll be likely to kill the interest if someone knows it was planted by someone with the mental faculties to plant a cache and then upload the coords. Maybe drop it in an already existing cache, or just near enough one that if someone went searching for one, they'd be likely to find the other?

Ooooh, that is clever. That's very, very clever.
The original plan was to take it to one of the larger trails, and leave it a little ways off the trail of one of the further out paths.

I'd have to do it in summer, or else the book would be ruined by the damp, wet rest-of-the-years we get.

Brennan
2010-03-15, 01:12 AM
What are you all talking about? This isn't sca-

OH **** WHAT WAS THAT OUTSIDE MY WINDOW?!?

;_;

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-15, 01:16 AM
What are you all talking about? This isn't sca-

OH **** WHAT WAS THAT OUTSIDE MY WINDOW?!?

;_;

Damn it, guys, he saw us! RUN! :smalleek:

*Runs away*
:smalltongue:

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-15, 02:57 AM
(sighs and droops head)

I was so determined to just ignore this when the thread first came up...

I'd seen the picture of the girl on the slide, the one in which he's in the background. That alone was enough for me...

...but now I'm working on ideas for a "creepy" D&D session, so a-plumbing I go! :smalltongue:

Darn you, Lycan 01, for suggesting the Slender Man! :smalltongue:

EDIT: Though it's my own dang fault for looking this up at night. :smallfrown:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-15, 02:06 PM
But, I can't seem to find his email, so...

I think he left it in a few comments he left on the earlier blog posts of JAF.

I mean really, he couldn't be a SM researcher when it's a clearly documented fake created on the internet.

I dunno, researching myths is a pretty common hobby/interest/whatever, why should it be any different just because its creation is documented on the internet? :smalltongue:

Maybe drop it in an already existing cache, or just near enough one that if someone went searching for one, they'd be likely to find the other?

I like this idea, but it requires finding a cache first. :smalltongue:

~R~

Obviously. After all, it was only a small part of the grifter video. The full video? Don't get me started...

Raiki
2010-03-15, 02:31 PM
Obviously. After all, it was only a small part of the grifter video. The full video? Don't get me started...

Oh ho! So you say you've seen it, but are still alive? I see what you did there.

:smallbiggrin:

~R~

Yora
2010-03-15, 02:34 PM
This is all just the doing of our old pal Nyarlathotep. Can't you see that he's that skinny guy?

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-15, 03:04 PM
This is all just the doing of our old pal Nyarlathotep. Can't you see that he's that skinny guy?You know, now that I think of it, I haven't seen Clark Kent Nyarlathotep and the Slender Man in a picture together... :smallconfused:

Raiki
2010-03-15, 04:04 PM
You know, now that I think of it, I haven't seen Clark Kent Nyarlathotep and the Slender Man in a picture together... :smallconfused:

Oh, how this sentence makes me wish I was in any way proficient at photoshop-fu.

~R~

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-15, 04:40 PM
You know, now that I think of it, I haven't seen Clark Kent Nyarlathotep and the Slender Man in a picture together... :smallconfused:

Huh... have we ever seen Roland and Chuck Norris in the same picture either? :smallconfused:

Also, an addendum to the leaving a journal thing; I'd be careful with that. If I were to find such a journal, I'd turn it in to the police, personally. Totally worth it though. :smalltongue:

Raiki
2010-03-15, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=The Dark Fiddler;8084576]Huh... have we ever seen Roland and Chuck Norris in the same picture either? :smallconfused:QUOTE]

HOLY RUSTED METAL BATMAN!

I think you may be on to something there! Except of course, that Roland could kick Chuck's rear without breaking a sweat.

~R~

Mr. Moon
2010-03-15, 06:10 PM
I think he left it in a few comments he left on the earlier blog posts of JAF.

Checked. Couldn't find his actual email address, which is silly, because I swear I remember seeing it somewhere.

I like this idea, but it requires finding a cache first. :smalltongue:
<<
*points at the site she linked earlier*
*points at where she mentioned her Mum was into geocaching*
Shouldn't be too hard, no.

Also, an addendum to the leaving a journal thing; I'd be careful with that. If I were to find such a journal, I'd turn it in to the police, personally. Totally worth it though. :smalltongue:

=P
Dunno. Might have something near the end explaining to whoever finds it that it's an ARG. Mounties are scary. .-.

However, I talked to my art teacher today, and she says I can do it as a project. Got a new sketchbook for it, as well.
So we're good to go! ^^

Ideas and suggestions are, as always, welcome.

chiasaur11
2010-03-15, 06:11 PM

Well, we did once, but one of them turned out to be a Nyarlathotep robot.

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-16, 02:49 PM
Y'know, I kinda wanna show my D&D players some Slender Man pics before the game session, and go on and on in detail about how it's clearly a hoax, and then get on with the game... and then have a tall, thin friend dressed in black casually walk by the window a few times during the session... :smallamused:

I really wish I'd heard of him back when I was filming my D&D documentary, so I could have him "turn up" in the footage. :smallbiggrin:

Raiki
2010-03-17, 03:06 PM
I really wish I'd heard of him back when I was filming my D&D documentary, so I could have him "turn up" in the footage. :smallbiggrin:

Emphasis mine.

You made a D&D documentary? Awesome! Please please tell me that this is on the internet somewhere for my viewing pleasure?

~R~

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-17, 04:41 PM
You made a D&D documentary?A short piece on the controversies associated with the game, or rather, how said controversies had little in reality to back them up. Between a series of interviews with D&D players, footage of two different game sessions, and just messing around in the woods, we easily had over two hours of footage for the ten-minute documentary. it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it why did we go in the woods it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts WHY DOES IT HURT?
Please please tell me that this is on the internet somewhere for my viewing pleasure?Would that I could. Alas, due to unforeseen... circumstances, the documentary was never finished or turned in. It lies forgotten... Do you see me see you?

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-17, 06:32 PM
Tall? Weird, long arms? Face that's different to everyone? leaves people impaled?

Yeah I got it all figured out...(looms) :smallamused:

Starbuck_II
2010-03-17, 07:19 PM
A short piece on the controversies associated with the game, or rather, how said controversies had little in reality to back them up. Between a series of interviews with D&D players, footage of two different game sessions, and just messing around in the woods, we easily had over two hours of footage for the ten-minute documentary. it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it why did we go in the woods it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts WHY DOES IT HURT?Would that I could. Alas, due to unforeseen... circumstances, the documentary was never finished or turned in. It lies forgotten... Do you see me see you?

Should we blame Slender Man for this?

chiasaur11
2010-03-17, 07:23 PM
Should we blame Slender Man for this?

I was going to blame Yahtzee.

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-17, 07:29 PM
I was going to blame Yahtzee.Blame both; I've just got through with both Marble Hornets and the Chzo Mythos. :smalltongue:

I'm totally gonna use the "Danger" theme from Trilby's Notes for a D&D encounter. :smallcool:

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-03-17, 09:24 PM
I'm uploading some pics of my Slendy Journal right now, but here's something I found in my Spanish textbook. 'Tis alarming me.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6645/espanolslendy.png

What's that very tall, faceless guy in the business suit doing in the background?

(This is an actual picture. This was a direct photo, completely unedited. My PhotoShop-fu is weak anyways. )

Starbuck_II
2010-03-17, 09:28 PM
I've seen similar pictures in my Spanish books in past.

Slender Man is as I've said not a created object. He was always. The guys at Something Aweful just brung him to our attention by accident.
They knew not what they wrought.

chiasaur11
2010-03-17, 09:31 PM
I'm uploading some pics of my Slendy Journal right now, but here's something I found in my Spanish textbook. 'Tis alarming me.

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6645/espanolslendy.png

What's that very tall, faceless guy in the business suit doing in the background?

(This is an actual picture. This was a direct photo, completely unedited. My PhotoShop-fu is weak anyways. )

He isn't faceless! If you mean the guy in the midground, he has a weird half a face. Background, has a face, but ill defined.

Both? Still creepy.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-03-17, 10:09 PM
He isn't faceless! If you mean the guy in the midground, he has a weird half a face. Background, has a face, but ill defined.

Both? Still creepy.

Yeah, the tall guy in the midground. Eh, he has barely defined features. (And many Slendy pics show him with face shape, just no actual mouth, nose, eyes, ears, hair, etc. So basically that guy. Indents where the eye sockets and mouth should be, etc. Plus a weird white dot that I think was caused by the flash. That's not in the book.

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for... the pics of my Journal of Slender-Man-Induced-Insanity!

(Many pics, and they're pretty big. Ye have been warned!)
http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7959/slendy006.jpg
Front cover. I beat it up pretty well (including attacking it with a dull machete), but you can't see it very well. It's not exactly a nice journal, but it was what I had at the time.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5915/slendy009.jpg
Inside front cover.

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/3749/slendy010.jpg
First page. It's intended to look like the previous pages of sanity were lost. There follows a fairly interesting story, in day-by-day journal form, of this cleric, his love, and one of his patients who happens to be insane. This goes on for a few pages, comes to a decent conclusion, including a mention of seeing a tall guy outside his window, and resolving to find out more, when:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/8519/slendy011.jpg
The text at the bottom says, "WHAT I SAW." Creepy! And anyone who's read JAF will recognize this page, more or less.

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/5910/slendy012.jpg
Little text says, "Who is the slender man? Perhaps my Lady Sehanine will see fit to..." Big (smeary, partially erased) text says, "WHO IS THE SLENDER MAN?"

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/1294/slendy013.jpg
This picture doesn't do this page justice. You can't really see the smudges and finger smears. Text is pretty much unreadable.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2523/slendy014.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7577/slendy015.jpg

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/3893/slendy017.jpg
Slendy/Tree hybrid, the word "HIS," and some smudges from the page facing it.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9945/slendy018t.jpg
Mary is the guy's wife, who he just married.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5285/slendy019.jpg

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3680/slendy020.jpg

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5322/slendy021.jpg

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/3351/slendy022.jpg

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1188/slendy023k.jpg
Most detailed pic of Slendy. Based of RabbitHoleLost's picture on page 7.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2882/slendy024.jpg
DIE!

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/6186/slendy025.jpg

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2171/slendy026.jpg
This is one of my favorite pages. If you can't tell, it's an eye with trees for veins.

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/1088/slendy027.jpg

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/8788/slendy028q.jpg
http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7971/slendy029.jpg

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/201/slendy030.jpg
Dun dun dunnnn...

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/6012/slendy033.jpg
Random crazy poetry.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/2350/slendy034.jpg
Inside back cover.

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-18, 07:19 AM
And now, the moment you've all been waiting for... the pics of my Journal of Slender-Man-Induced-Insanity!(nodnod) I like it.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-18, 08:41 AM
Surprised you don't go: "Am I one of the seven?"

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-03-18, 06:34 PM
Surprised you don't go: "Am I one of the seven?"

Seven what?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-18, 06:45 PM
Nice work on the journal, Fuzz. Just one question: I saw numbers on a few pages. What are they for? A phone number?

Cobalt
2010-03-18, 08:29 PM
I find it incredibly creepy that I found this thread by acciddent the very week after watching Marble Hornets. As a side note, I've been looking over my shoulder for the past week and a half. (I take walks at 5:00 in the morning...You know, when the sun is down:smalleek:)

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-18, 08:45 PM
I find it incredibly creepy that I found this thread by accident the very week after watching Marble Hornets.Bwahaha. :smallamused:

As a side note, I've been looking over my shoulder for the past week and a half.Why bother? When the Slender Man wants you to see him, you'll see him. :smallamused:

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-03-18, 10:24 PM
Nice work on the journal, Fuzz. Just one question: I saw numbers on a few pages. What are they for? A phone number?

Well, they're not a phone number, as this is for my D&D campaign. They might gain meaning at some point, but for now, they're just some numbers. Hopefully my players will try to figure that out, and be very confused. And really, what self-respecting crazy person would leave clues that anyone could figure out? :smalltongue:

And thanks to everyone who likes the journal! :smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2010-03-19, 03:21 AM
Seven what?

On the JAF forum, there were people (seven in total) who got a letter sent out to them, claiming they were 'one of the seven' and including clues and/or random scribblings.
I believe that there were pages torn out from the original notebook. and the messages that were sent out may have been those missing pages.

There are a few videos available on YouTube showing people opening up these letters.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-19, 08:51 AM
Seven what?

The unluckily ones. Don't be apart of them. Slender Man wants them, he does.

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-19, 11:03 AM
Slender Man wants them, he does.Rather, he wants them first. He'll get around to the rest of us eventually, of course, but they're higher up on his list. :smalleek:

Mr. Moon
2010-03-19, 03:26 PM
Oooh, very nice, Fuzz. MC approves. =3

Starbuck_II
2010-03-19, 03:28 PM
Rather, he wants them first. He'll get around to the rest of us eventually, of course, but they're higher up on his list. :smalleek:

Nah, I think any others he kills are accidents.
He doesn't know his own strength so when you pushes you out the way: he doesn't mean to send a hand through your sternum.
Okay, when he is bored he might do a little killing, but he doesn't have cable.

Cobalt
2010-03-19, 08:10 PM
As also mentioned, the camera man actually stuns, knocks over, and walks up to the Masked Man. Does -nothing- to unmask him though he's fully in his power to do so, giving the Masked Man the time to react after the stunning, and then gives him the chance to flee. Why? I'd be punching him in the face, and taking off the broken pieces of the mask. Also, why is the Masked Man there at all? He's not the Slender Man, so he surely is trying to "protect" the Camera Man, but...at the same time is seen in his room, messing with his things. Not all that helpful. Also assulting him in the house....all a bit odd.

(A bit late, but whatever)

From what I understand, the man in the mask was having a seizure that stopped him from continuing to tackle Jay (who was having his own coughing fit at the time) into the wall. Jay walked over and tried to remove the mask, but the masked man (totheark) shouted out "No!" and then fought Jay off again.

Then he woke up in a car miles away in the woods with a previously unmentioned knife missing.

Hm... I do see a few things wrong, upon review.

chiasaur11
2010-03-19, 09:47 PM
Rather, he wants them first. He'll get around to the rest of us eventually, of course, but they're higher up on his list. :smalleek:

He takes weeks to get one person.

Over 6.5 billion people on the planet.

Somehow, I doubt he'll beat Ol' Bill to the bulk of the population.

Mr. Moon
2010-03-21, 02:58 AM
(A bit late, but whatever)

From what I understand, the man in the mask was having a seizure that stopped him from continuing to tackle Jay (who was having his own coughing fit at the time) into the wall. Jay walked over and tried to remove the mask, but the masked man (totheark) shouted out "No!" and then fought Jay off again.

Then he woke up in a car miles away in the woods with a previously unmentioned knife missing.

Hm... I do see a few things wrong, upon review.

I've never really believed that totheark is the Masked Man. If you watch the Masked Man carefully, his actions are almost always animalistic. For example, when he attacked Jay, he did so running on all fours (watch carefully, and listen to the thuds of his movement. They come in fours, not twos.) The Masked Man definitely acts as someone's hand, probably as a spy/guard. It makes sense of totheark to have a lackey like that - there's no way that guy is going to risk himself, and his twisted way of thinking just doesn't match the Masked Man's body language.
Does that make sense? It's one in the morning.
I think I'm gonna go to bed now.

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-22, 06:37 PM
Considering running an introductory nWoD game to get a few people used to the ruleset... if I do so, you can probably guess who the antagonist is gonna be. :smallamused:

chiasaur11
2010-03-22, 09:20 PM
Considering running an introductory nWoD game to get a few people used to the ruleset... if I do so, you can probably guess who the antagonist is gonna be. :smallamused:

Victor Von Doom?

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-22, 10:25 PM
Victor Von Doom?Nah, if he was the bad guy, the players would just try and recruit Squirrel Girl to beat him. :smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2010-03-22, 10:43 PM
Nah, if he was the bad guy, the players would just try and recruit Squirrel Girl to beat him. :smalltongue:
Bizarro?

Heh.

The All Star Superman version, though? Brrr.

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-23, 02:34 PM
On an unrelated note, I started playing Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. You know, the game that warns you at the very beginning that it is psychological, and that it starts playing you.

Dammit, they were right.

I loaded that game up, and started in on the action. Kid missing? Oh, I gotta go find her! But after a couple hours of playing, it started getting too scary. I went to turn the Wii off, but the game had disabled the power button! That's when I noticed that the strap around my wrist was tightening, preventing me from removing it. Spiders started emerging, just pouring out of the Wiimote as a tall, faceless figure loomed on the TV screen. As I wrestled with the strap, which was starting to cut off circulation to my hand, trying not to panic as my hands were covered in spiders, I could almost swear that the figure was emerging from the screen...

I don't remember anything after that.

chiasaur11
2010-03-23, 02:35 PM
On an unrelated note, I started playing Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. You know, the game that warns you at the very beginning that it is psychological, and that it starts playing you.

Dammit, they were right.

I loaded that game up, and started in on the action. Kid missing? Oh, I gotta go find her! But after a couple hours of playing, it started getting too scary. I went to turn the Wii off, but the game had disabled the power button! That's when I noticed that the strap around my wrist was tightening, preventing me from removing it. Spiders started emerging, just pouring out of the Wiimote as a tall, faceless figure loomed on the TV screen. As I wrestled with the strap, which was starting to cut off circulation to my hand, trying not to panic as my hands were covered in spiders, I could almost swear that the figure was emerging from the screen...

I don't remember anything after that.

Yeah, that happens.

You must have really done badly on the initial psych testing.

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-23, 02:38 PM
Yeah, that happens.

You must have really done badly on the initial psych testing.All in all, a subpar evening. :smallyuk:

Nah, seriously, the game sucked. "Oh, noes, I have to run away from blue zombies for three hours!" Pfft.

KyoKyonshi
2010-03-23, 11:11 PM
I have heard many stories, and watched the youtube videos. For some odd reason I am really fascinated with who the Slender Man is and if he is really just a myth. I read that there is a book with a story about him in it. Sometimes it is hard to tell. I honestly don't think some one can just come up with such and uproar. They had to have had something spook them or something they had heard about. Things just don't get made up on their own, they usually always come from something else. But hey, that is just what I believe.

chiasaur11
2010-03-23, 11:14 PM
All in all, a subpar evening. :smallyuk:

Nah, seriously, the game sucked. "Oh, noes, I have to run away from blue zombies for three hours!" Pfft.

Ah.

Blue zombies? Man, you flunked hard. If you'd answered better, you'd probably have awesome RED zombies.

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-24, 12:50 PM
Wow, this thread's kinda died down lately... perhaps the Slender Man's gotten to everyone else...? :smalleek:

chiasaur11
2010-03-24, 12:57 PM
Wow, this thread's kinda died down lately... perhaps the Slender Man's gotten to everyone else...? :smalleek:

WhNowathat'stjust beingmparanoid.aAlso ridiculous.kes you so sure you're safe? hE cOmes For yoU.

Raiki
2010-03-24, 02:56 PM
WhNowathat'stjust beingmparanoid.aAlso ridiculous.kes you so sure you're safe? hE cOmes For yoU.

Ridiculous?ThYou'reathe tone beingwridiculous! Youaknowsthat the slenderbmanriislloutithere!anHast!this thread not opened your eyes? You should already be running!

Well played sir.
~R~

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-24, 08:09 PM

Well, there's only so far you can go just discussing Him. If we used this thread to talk about MarbleHornets or recommend other stories, maybe it'd be a bit more active.

In that vein, I just found Seeking Truth (http://openthedoorandyouwillfindme.blogspot.com/) and so far I'm loving it.

Edit: And a new Tweet.

Something brought to my attention. Entry #25 later tonight.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-03-24, 10:45 PM
So, uh... does anyone have any idea what the guy is saying in Entry ######? (The new one.)

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-25, 01:07 AM
So, uh... does anyone have any idea what the guy is saying in Entry ######? (The new one.)Err, that's not the new one - rather, not the newest one. The newest one is #25, in which his apartment is revealed to have burned down.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-25, 05:23 AM
So, uh... does anyone have any idea what the guy is saying in Entry ######? (The new one.)

We will wait for you no more.
Control is being taken away from you.
From the start, this has been a game for us.
Not anymore.

And then the last line has three interpretations, each with their own implications:

And you will lead me... to the ark. Whoever uploaded the video (Entry 25 almost guarantees this is totheark) want whoever they are addressing the video to (probably Jay) to lead them to the "ark".
And you will lead me, totheark. Addressed to totheark, who the uploader wants to be led by. Unlikely, since 25 implies TTA uploaded the video.
And you will lead me. totheark A sign off by totheark, saying whoever the video is addressed to will lead him.

Blackdrop
2010-03-25, 03:14 PM
Anybody else notice this? At 1:09-1:11 on Entry 25 you can see the "Home Video" clipping on the TV screen in the same way that Jay notes some of Alex's footage doing in one of the earlier Entries.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-03-25, 05:34 PM
Huh. I must've missed ###### when it was uploaded, then. Thanks Fiddler for the transcription.

So I watched the actually new one, #25. I am unimpressed.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-25, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I thought it was a bit meh.

Found an upload of the original broadcast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YebC_rftfyk) and the unfiction forums, if anybody's interested.

blackouttwo
2010-04-01, 04:53 AM
I've stopped looking at the series as a psychological horror series, and as more of a mystery series. The kind where you connect the dots, and all that. Good fun for me, at least. I'm still interested.

Anonymoose
2010-04-02, 06:42 AM
Something weird happened today.

I decided to sit down and watch Marble Hornets today. One of the videos(#6, I believe), was taking a while to load. So I was bored, and went to play a game I hadn't played for quite some time (specifically, Need For Madness (http://www.miniclip.com/games/need-for-madness/en/)(yes, a racing game on Miniclip. Don't judge me.)) None of the titles of the levels really caught my eye, until level 5. I don't know why, but the title of that level stood out for me for some reason.

The title in question? "He Is Coming For You Next".

A coincidence, or a message from someone?

And if a message, from who?

Thoughts?

Comet
2010-04-02, 07:02 AM
Thoughts?

Run.
Ominous 10char filler hE wiLL fInd YOU

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-02, 08:34 AM
I have just watched all of Marble Hornets and gone through Just Another Fool, and read this whole thread, looked up things about the Slender Man, etc.

It's really fascinating.

The Slender Man himself does not scare me. It's the paranoia he represents and the mental deterioration that induces in those for whom he seeks. Marble Hornets in particular does this really well, especially with the subjectivity of Jay's experiences and the loss of memory and the compromised and tampered-with tapes. The additions of totheark and the Masked Man are also effective (Entry #19 is the one which haunts me the most), and the strange audiovisual distortions add an air of malevolence to the proceedings. I find myself drawn to slendy, as if I owe him 20 dollars for wifin' in the club or something.

A very cool mythos, and I doff my hat to those at Marble Hornets who have successfully captivated me in horror.

Also, I've just had an idea for a new avatar.

Starbuck_II
2010-04-02, 09:19 AM
I still say Slender Man is just misunderstood. Every time he kills it is in self defense, defending another, or just bored. He isn't evil.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-04-02, 11:46 AM
Are you sure he isn't merely a debt collector, out to get his 20 dollars? Maybe his victims were wifin' in the club.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-04-03, 11:03 PM
I rarely have dreams, at least that I remember in the morning. I usually remember one dream every two weeks or so. But last night, I remember having two. In the first, an old teacher of mine found my Slender Man Journal, and went insane. The second was nothing but strange psychedelic gray-scale shapes and misshapen faces spinning quickly, as if on a turntable and viewed at a sharp angle, with a psychotic muttering in the background, similar to the video TTA uploaded on MH.

Just thought it was an odd enough occurrence to warrant mention.

Innis Cabal
2010-04-04, 02:01 AM
I rarely have dreams, at least that I remember in the morning.

You always have dreams. Always. As you said, you just don't remember them. And thats abnormal.

TheCountAlucard
2010-04-05, 02:55 PM
Well, this is rich. :smallamused:

Told my players that after the current arc of the D&D game, I'd be running an introductory nWoD game. Told 'em that it'd be a horror game, and that they'd be playing ordinary schmoes. And yes, the game's gonna be about the Slender Man.

One of my players looked it up afterward, and confessed that he's been jumpy ever since. :amused:

Raiki
2010-04-05, 05:13 PM
:smallbiggrin: That can't be anything but good. I can't say as I support nWoD over oWoD, but everything else gets the Raiki Seal of Approval for Horror Gaming.

Mind a few suggestions?

1) Run it like you would run a Tomb of Horrors game. Tell everyone to make up multiple (at least 4) characters. That will really put the fear of [Slendy] into them.

2) Make sure to kill off at least one character, early in the game, preferably off-camera (If your PCs would be cool with that anyway). Have the other characters find him pinned to the top of a tree, missing all of his internal organs. Make sure that he has no other obvious wounds, and that there is no sign of struggle.

After that, you don't have to kill anyone else at all if you don't want to. The whole point is that the players will actually be scared for their character's survival. Without that, no horror game will ever have the right ambiance.

~R~

TheCountAlucard
2010-04-05, 05:38 PM
Well, main reason for it is that a friend is going to be running a game after me, and my game will introduce them to the ruleset.

Blackdrop
2010-04-19, 02:52 AM
Entry 26 (http://www.youtube.com/user/marblehornets?blend=2&ob=4)

I'll wait till later to comment on it, but I will say this: it's f'n awesome!

TheCountAlucard
2010-04-19, 03:34 AM
Dang, you beat me to it. :smalltongue:

Blackdrop
2010-04-19, 03:38 AM
You know what I just noticed? The date J that put up the tweet about the text message, is the same as the date on the miniDV/tape. Significant?

Also, I went from wet my pants in horror, to wetting my pants from laughing to hard. I wonder what that says about the condition of my soul?

blackouttwo
2010-04-19, 05:51 AM
Just watched Entry 26, and by the looks of it, **** just got real.

Slendy's back in action, and so is Alex, and by the looks of it, we got ourselves some other third party. That guy in the skull mask.

This is gonna be fun. :smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-19, 11:03 AM
Dang, if they keep these up there is potential for a real movie. Much better than Paranormal Activity. I like the idea of a third party helping out. Perhaps a guy who was stalked but managed to stay out of the Slenderman's clutches. Maybe even studies him. The student has learned some of the abilities but the cost is to become like him...

Figures, #26 happened April 4th, my b-day :smallwink:

*skulks*

golentan
2010-04-19, 11:07 AM
2 words: Awe. Some.

I've decided the slenderman is at best a class 4 horror, but he's so interesting in the way he stalks people that it's entertaining even though he's that weak.

That may also be the clearest shot we've had of him that close so far, ne'est ce pas?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-19, 11:10 AM
2 words: Awe. Some.

I've decided the slenderman is at best a class 4 horror, but he's so interesting in the way he stalks people that it's entertaining even though he's that weak.
Who knows how weak he is? We just see the start of the chase and know later most are simply gone afterwards.

golentan
2010-04-19, 12:20 PM
Who knows how weak he is? We just see the start of the chase and know later most are simply gone afterwards.

He can't be a class 1 because he doesn't seem to be an existential threat to reality itself.

He can't be a class 2, because earth is intact despite his presence.

He can't be a class 3, because it is possible to be within several hundred feet of him and still have functioning equipment for a time (brains count).

He might be a class 4, because he can evidently emulate a class 3's disruption effects but they are not constant (I.E. he can conceal them, something class 3s cannot really do to that extent for much the same reason you can't really hide a star) and they lack the power associated with a class 3. And it's not at all clear that he needs to hunt to sustain himself.

He is probably a class 5, because his power seems directly correlated to either physical location or awareness of him: I.E. he only stalks the ones who come a lookin', and leaves those who go fleeing alone as long as they can keep ignoring him (not as easy as it sounds though), and the space away from his hunting grounds but associated with his hunt gradually warps into a new hunting ground.

He is probably not a class 6, because even though the observations are second hand he appears to bend space in the areas around his hunting grounds into klein bottle-esque shapes for funsies.

He is definitely not a class seven through 12, as if he was some lucky punk with a shotgun ought to have taken him out by now.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-04-19, 12:36 PM
From where do these classes come?

golentan
2010-04-19, 03:11 PM
A friend, but that doesn't really matter, now does it? His presence by itself isn't antithetical to life, ergo he can't be class 3 or worse, ergo weak. I don't often bother with anything below that level. It's usually pretty boring.

I do like me the slender man, though. Just because it seems like he has a nice game of cat and mouse going.

Kind of reminds me of an Anglerfish, or a Spider. Luring little prey animals in by appealing to their curiosity. Get them to a prepared place, where you have the edge and preparation. When they run, reach out with another tidbit, just enough to get them to give chase again. Make them paranoid, make them look for a way out. Then, when they find something that makes them feel safe, use that against them in the next iteration. Think maybe they can't escape. Maybe they should go back. Maybe they have a chance if they can unravel the mystery. A little different with each victim, a variation with each one. Always stronger, closer, with each appearance to a victim. All until it's too late, and they wind up in the trees.

Something like that isn't just a hunt. It's an art form. It's intelligent, resourceful. Clever. It's not about the kill, it's about the fear, it's about the joy of the hunt. It's a game. Tricking the rabbit to run down the wolf's maw. It's been a long time since I've gotten to play a game with something that was worth the time of day. Pity he's fake, or I might actually consider a field trip. He might actually challenge me. On his own territory, he might actually win. It would be a fascinating experience...

Logalmier
2010-04-19, 06:18 PM
Dang, if they keep these up there is potential for a real movie. Much better than Paranormal Activity. I like the idea of a third party helping out. Perhaps a guy who was stalked but managed to stay out of the Slenderman's clutches. Maybe even studies him. The student has learned some of the abilities but the cost is to become like him...

Figures, #26 happened April 4th, my b-day :smallwink:

*skulks*

*LE GASP* That's similar to what happened to me!

It was uploaded on MY birthday! Unfortunately it only came up late at night, so one of my birthday presents was me not being able to sleep.

TheCountAlucard
2010-05-27, 02:09 PM
So, during my friend's game session last night, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that 3 out of the 5 other people playing were creeped out by the Slender Man, and didn't even want to hear those words after dark.

Mission accomplished. :smallamused:

Cobalt
2010-05-27, 03:47 PM
So, during my friend's game session last night, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that 3 out of the 5 other people playing were creeped out by the Slender Man, and didn't even want to hear those words after dark.

Mission accomplished. :smallamused:

Well, congrats, but I'm so far in I don't even want to hear those words in the day. Entry 26 doesn't help.

Oh, and this (http://openthedoorandyouwillfindme.blogspot.com/) finally got somewhere.