PDA

View Full Version : Cloak of Deceitful Size

Barbarian MD
2010-02-04, 09:22 AM
In a long gray cloak, a man pushes through the revolving doors. The man is carrying a duffel bag. He cuts across the lobby to the security station, drawing nervous glances.

Dark glasses, game face.

The man in the cloak calmly passes through the Magic Detector which begins to wail immediately. A security guard moves over toward the man, raising his artificer's monocle.

GUARD
Would you please remove any magic items you are carrying: wands, amulets --

The man slowly sets down his duffel bag and throws open his cloak, revealing an arsenal of swords, hammers, and knives dangling from a climbing harness.

GUARD
Holy s--

The man suddenly blurs, and in a flash he has grown in three sizes. Activated from a ring, his called armor materializes over him, and his fullblade snaps into his hand. The man is now a terror to behold, towering 15' feet over the guard's head. He sets to work with his blade.

Cloak of Deceitful Size

This cloak produces a continuous Reduce Person effect. By speaking the command word, the wearer activates the cloak, which reduces him in size by one category. This effect can be dispelled as a free action. The cloak is useable 3 times per day.

Faint transmutation; CL 1st; Craft Wondrous Item, reduce person; Price 8,000 gp; Weight 1 lb.

My purpose in designing this is to be able to hide those D&D characters who are of, shall we say, larger size. Let's, for the sake of example, combine a Penny Dreadful level 20 Barbarian and a permanancied Enlarge Person. So you have a medium character who, as a free action, can reveal themselves to be Large, and then as an immediate action can become Colossal(!) in size at the perfect moment of surprise.

Other uses would be allowing said Large-sized character to enter a tight space while dungeon crawling.

I suppose casters might love this, though, and would find it incredibly useful for improving AC and their attack rolls for ranged spells...

Spell Level 1 x Caster Level 1 x 2,000 = 2,000 gp
Multiply by 2 for an effect measured in min/level = 8,000 gp

My first question is: Did I get the pricing right?

Secondly, would there be a way to make this cheaper? Could I add in a restriction like Invisibility, in that attacking automatically dispels the effect? That would make it a role-play only type of item, which I imagine could reduce the price considerably.

Obrysii
2010-02-04, 12:15 PM
I absolutely love magic items that do not drastically boost one's power but add a favorable and potentially useful benefit.

This is among them.

I believe you got the price right. Reduce Person does not have as many game-changing effects as Enlarge Person, so I think you're good.

Barbarian MD
2010-02-04, 12:22 PM
What's funny is that (I think) you could make a similar magic item with Enlarge Person for the same price.

What would you say might be a good ad-hoc adjustment in price, in exchange for the effect ending if you attack someone, a la Greater Invisibility?

Limos
2010-02-04, 01:06 PM
What's funny is that (I think) you could make a similar magic item with Enlarge Person for the same price.

What would you say might be a good ad-hoc adjustment in price, in exchange for the effect ending if you attack someone, a la Greater Invisibility?

Cloak of Empty Aggression, base it on Illusion. Makes you big and intimidating, but it's all just a bluff.