PDA

View Full Version : Snow days in the Playground!

Dr.Epic
2010-02-05, 08:57 AM
I just found out I don't have school today!:smallbiggrin: Anybody else with me or am I alone?

rakkoon
2010-02-05, 10:14 AM
You get a day off when it snows?

How many meters deep is this snow?

oh and envious

Retrograde
2010-02-05, 10:24 AM
We had a few earlier this year in the UK. Normally for a few inches of snow and, to be quite frank, it hardly seemed worth the bother. Oh well, there were one or two days that actually warranted it due to near blizzard conditions but most of it was pretty pointless. Needless to say, I was a little irritated - I had exams coming up, damn it! Oh well... At least it means I didn't have to tolerate the school bus, I suppose.

Totally Guy
2010-02-05, 10:37 AM
We had a few earlier this year in the UK.

We had a few days of people being unable to drive. On those days I set off early and walked. It's great if you can do that.

Sipex
2010-02-05, 10:39 AM
I live in Canada, unless the snow is higher than an adult's waist we don't even consider snow days.

Even then, if the snow plows get out early enough then it's off to school with you!

Thufir
2010-02-05, 10:41 AM
We had a few earlier this year in the UK.

So I'm told. Universities, however, don't get snow days.
Well, I suppose we kind of would if the snow was bad enough the lecturer couldn't get in. But it wouldn't be official.

Roukon
2010-02-05, 11:35 AM
I live in Canada, unless the snow is higher than an adult's waist we don't even consider snow days.

Even then, if the snow plows get out early enough then it's off to school with you!

I don't live in Canada, but I'm only a few hours away, so I'm in the same boat. A few times, it gets so bad, the governor calls off school for the entire state.

Later Days,
Roukon

Perenelle
2010-02-05, 01:35 PM
We've had the entire week off. from only 5 inches of snow. :smallsigh: and today its just raining and school is canceled because they're afraid its going to freeze.
I live in North Carolina and people really freak out about snow. Wal Mart was packed with people stocking up on milk, eggs, and bread the other day. :smallamused:

My family is all from the New York/ Connecticut area so we're used to it. But canceling school for a week because of a few inches of snow? silly people are silly. :smalltongue:

On the bright side I have more time to get projects done. Hopefully school wont be canceled monday too.

A Rainy Knight
2010-02-05, 02:01 PM
We've had the entire week off. from only 5 inches of snow. :smallsigh:

I've had the whole week off, too. And our Wal-Marts were also completely swamped. Now that there's a nor'easter coming our way with several feet of snow, I might very well have some days off next week. It's a shame that all the makeup days are going to get taken out of spring break, though.

I'm Virginian, by the way. I guess it makes sense that we'd be seeing similar weather.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-05, 02:06 PM
January snow days made me sad. I work in a call centre and the project at the time was phoning schools. About 10% of them being closed made my job very suck-ass.

Perenelle
2010-02-05, 02:14 PM
I've had the whole week off, too. And our Wal-Marts were also completely swamped. Now that there's a nor'easter coming our way with several feet of snow, I might very well have some days off next week. It's a shame that all the makeup days are going to get taken out of spring break, though.

I'm Virginian, by the way. I guess it makes sense that we'd be seeing similar weather.

Yeah, I've been watching the weather for most of the day and its looks like we're going to get hit by more winter weather again. I dont really have much against that, other then they may take the snow days out of the spring break.

So far we're just gotten all the teacher workdays taken away, so maybe spring break will survive.

Virginia is a very pretty state. I lived there for 6 years. :smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2010-02-05, 11:52 PM
My city doesn't know how to handle ice. Apparently salt's only used to go on food. I think the best thing is that I got a four day weekend out of it. The teacher of my Thursday class had a personal issue and couldn't come in. The best part about it is that my Thursday and Friday classes are my least favorite.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-02-06, 12:14 AM
I live in Canada too... If it snows, the city is paralyzed :tongue:

Oh, and my university has several snow days on average..

Dr.Epic
2010-02-06, 12:16 AM
I live in Canada too... If it snows, the city is paralyzed :tongue:

Oh, and my university has several snow days on average..

My high school was built on a hill with this narrow winding road leading up to it so if there was just the slightest bit of snow or ice school would probably be cancelled.

Kobold-Bard
2010-02-06, 05:08 AM
My city doesn't know how to handle ice. Apparently salt's only used to go on food....

I'm very worried about next winter. Apparently Britain isn't big on salt, we had to order more from abroad.

TheThan
2010-02-06, 02:01 PM
lived in the mountains most of my life and I never got a snow day. If the buses couldn't make it (they would always try, that means chains), then you simply got an excused absence due to the weather.

So count yourself lucky.

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-06, 02:22 PM
BAREfoot... IN the snow... UPhill... BOTH directions!!

*grew up mostly in the Boulder metro area*

The_JJ
2010-02-06, 02:31 PM
(Still) In the Boulder Metro area. From what I recall, they called off days they shouldn't have and stuck to their guns when every other car was spun out on the highway.

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-06, 02:46 PM
I honestly don't remember anything like that, but it's been more than 20 years since I was in any Colorado school system.

Morty
2010-02-06, 02:49 PM
There's a crapload of snow here where I live and where I study. No schools were closed or anything, though. In other parts of the country, some villages have been cut off for quite long, however.

wxdruid
2010-02-06, 02:53 PM
Catlover (my daughter) may get a snow day on Tues. I'm waiting to see if the promised snow actually occurs or not. The school districts here cancel school for (in my opinion) paltry amounts of snow (more than 2 inches). I grew up south of Denver, CO. A good snow meant over 6 inches worth. Enough to play in.

The rumor while I was still in school - was if the head of the school district could get his 4x4 out of the driveway there was school. Needless to say, there were many days of trudging to the bus stop in knee high snow... heh

Krade
2010-02-06, 02:53 PM
Not being in school, I don't get snow days. It did snow all day yesterday here. There was no accumulation when I went into work at 10 and when I got off at 7 there was a bunch. Then I woke up this morning, looked outside, and said, "Glad it was already my day off." This is about as bad a snow as Indiana ever gets not counting the 'once in a decade' variety where the city actually gets paralyzed. Haven't experienced one of those personally... yet. My brother, who is 31, said he's been stuck inside without a choice once in his life and, unlike me, he's lived here his whole life.

Honestly, the snow isn't that bad. I'm not going out today because it's cold and I don't have to. And the sky is clear, the sun is shining, and all that snow is already melting. That means slush, and I don't have boots. Another reason to not go outside. Doesn't stop people from freaking out and stocking up though. I wish I lived somewhere that got more snow so people would know how to handle it better rather than freaking out for 6 inches or so.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-02-06, 02:58 PM
Ever since the Mayor of Toronto called in the Army to help clear snow years ago, Toronto's been deadly afraid of snow days. In the last 10 years, I can remember 1 snow day, and that was 2 years ago, in the middle of a blizzard. It started as just my school, because we didn't have normal school that day, but had our Activity Day thing, and I was going rock climbing, but by the time I got to school, they told us they had shut down. The rest of the school board shut down by midday.

zeratul
2010-02-06, 03:18 PM
Living in central New York basically means that I get feet of snow with very little chance of a snowday occurring. Windchill days however might be more likely, here's hoping it goes below -25 soon!

Thiel
2010-02-06, 04:00 PM
My current school doesn't do Snow Days. Last time I had a snow day was in 98 when the snow caused a power-out on my school.

Symmys
2010-02-06, 04:07 PM
My school district is stubborn about snow days. They refuse to close school unless there's a warning issued, and then only because if something bad happens to a kid due to the weather, they could get sued. This makes for depressing days when EVERY school district around ours is closed... but we still have to go to school. It doesn't help that I have to walk home.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-06, 04:18 PM
They refuse to close school unless there's a warning issued, and then only because if something bad happens to a kid due to the weather,

You could be that kid. Are you willing to make the sacrifice?

Krade
2010-02-06, 04:24 PM
You could be that kid. Are you willing to make the sacrifice?

That seems a little... extreme.

And yes, I know you were joking... I hope.

Edit @ \/: Methinks you missed the white text:smalltongue:

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-06, 04:32 PM
I think Dr. E misunderstood what Symmys was trying to say. It looks like he read her statement as "these guys will close down schools for anything just because they're afraid of getting sued!" when in fact she is lamenting that they close down far less frequently than the surrounding school districts.

Force
2010-02-06, 04:41 PM
College has closed... once, I think, and that was because of a major snow/ice storm that iced up a lot of the surrounding area.

Telonius
2010-02-06, 04:53 PM
I'm originally from Erie, PA - so yeah, I know snow. We get Buffalo's weather, minus a couple inches, each year. Right now I'm in extreme northern Virginia, and we're under about 30 inches of snow (about 76cm). Nearly killed myself shoveling half the driveway. This stuff's heavy! Very wet snow, the worst kind for shoveling. I'm really concerned that there are going to be a lot of people having heart attacks because they don't know when to take a break.

If this were back in Erie, we'd have about a 50-50 chance of getting out of work/school on Monday, but I think it's a near-certainty here. There's just not as much equipment, and people don't know how to handle driving in these conditions. Apparently in the whole DC metro area yesterday, the cops responded to over a thousand accidents or stuck cars. People think that because they have a 4-wheel-drive SUV, they're immune to snow.

Krade
2010-02-06, 06:31 PM
I just ventured outside for the first (and probably only) time today. It's rather pretty with all the snow covering up the dirt. Of course, I still managed to slip on the ice and fall. Luckily, my hips and wrists are still young enough to not need a visit to the hospital.

The moral of the story? Don't go out when the roads are icy. I know you're out of Mountain Dew. I don't care. It's dangerous.

THAC0
2010-02-07, 12:47 AM
To quote from what is going around facebook right now: "Hey! East Coast! We in Alaska have a name for your 'storm of the century.' It's called 'Wednesday.' :smallyuk:"

Innis Cabal
2010-02-07, 12:48 AM
To quote from what is going around facebook right now: "Hey! East Coast! We in Alaska have a name for your 'storm of the century.' It's called 'Wednesday.' :smallyuk:"

Hey Alaska. Come down and tell us that when your at 90 degree's with 100% humidity and call it "The heatwave of the century". We call it Tuesday.

THAC0
2010-02-07, 01:25 AM
Hey Alaska. Come down and tell us that when your at 90 degree's with 100% humidity and call it "The heatwave of the century". We call it Tuesday.

Well, if you're up in the Interior, that's our Thursday! :smallcool: Go, go, 22 hours of daylight!

shadowxknight
2010-02-07, 01:43 AM

It's just that the infrastructure isn't ready to take that sort of punishment. I can relate to it because in Southern California couple weeks ago it rained heavily for the whole week. Although it would be quite common in other areas for that happen, in SoCal such a phenomenon caused massive flooding.

THAC0
2010-02-07, 01:47 AM
It's just that the infrastructure isn't ready to take that sort of punishment. I can relate to it because in Southern California couple weeks ago it rained heavily for the whole week. Although it would be quite common in other areas for that happen, in SoCal such a phenomenon caused massive flooding.

Yes, I've lived on the East coast, I know. It was a joke. :smallsmile:

Sneak
2010-02-07, 08:55 AM
I live in Maryland. We got around 25-30 inches of snow. My power has been out since Friday night. It's 50 F in my house.

I hate the snow.

Guinea Anubis
2010-02-07, 10:14 AM
Got about 20" here in Pittsburgh. Biggest snow fall here since 1993.

This is what it looks like out my front door.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh145/anubis1179/Snow%20of%202-6-2010/100_1192.jpg
One hour after shoveling my side walk
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh145/anubis1179/Snow%20of%202-6-2010/100_1193.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh145/anubis1179/Snow%20of%202-6-2010/100_1194.jpg

Here is the wife's car and mine. The one on the right is an 05 Honda Civic
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh145/anubis1179/Snow%20of%202-6-2010/100_1195.jpg

The tree next door
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh145/anubis1179/Snow%20of%202-6-2010/100_1196.jpg

And last the road next to my house
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh145/anubis1179/Snow%20of%202-6-2010/100_1204.jpg

Dr.Epic
2010-02-08, 03:05 AM
I just found out I have Monday off so I got a 5 day weekend. And my Tuesday class teacher just said there's a good chance the class might get cancelled. By this point, it's getting a little creepy at how many days I'm missing.

Temotei
2010-02-08, 03:09 AM
That's funny. I live in the part of Minnesota that has the superintendent saying, essentially, no matter what happens, school is on.

Temotei
2010-02-08, 06:59 PM
That's funny. I live in the part of Minnesota that has the superintendent saying, essentially, no matter what happens, school is on.

Never mind. We had today off. :smalleek:

Of course, it's absolutely atrocious out there. Nobody can make it up their driveways.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-08, 08:11 PM
My Tuesday teacher just emailed and said class is cancelled. It's supposed to snow Tuesday afternoon and me not having class Wednesday morning may be a possibility. I'm having a mini-vacation this month.

Mauve Shirt
2010-02-10, 10:33 AM
This is my third snow day this week, that's why I'm permitting myself to get on the forums. The ice and wind is so crazy outside that one can't see without goggles of some sort. We've gotten in total almost 3 feet of snow. I've run out of food. Today will be fantastic.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-11, 02:02 AM
I got an eight day weekend and it might turn into a eleven day weekend depending on if I have class Friday. Me and my friends just went out and went sledding.

llamamushroom
2010-02-11, 02:37 AM
By contrast, in all the years I've lived in Canberra, it's snowed once. It melted pretty much as it touched the ground. Oddly enough, it was the middle of summer.

Instead, we now get bushfire days. That's right, if the Bushfire Threat Level reaches Catastrophic, no school! Only a fairly decent chance of evacuation...

Je dit Viola
2010-02-11, 02:57 AM
Got about 20" here in Pittsburgh. Biggest snow fall here since 1993.

Pictures go here! :smallwink:

For some reason, looking at all those pictures of snow makes me jealous. Snowball fights, sledding, skiing and snowboarding, building snowmen, running around letting my bare feet get cold, building snow jumps over half-frozen rivers, then going down the nearby hill on an inner tube to see if I can make it over, camping, midnight snowshoeing...

Of course, that's probably not what everybody over there's thinking.

It's just cold and dry here. Hasn't snowed in weeks, unfortunately, even though it's only half-melted, and only where the sun shines most the day. There's still half-melted snowmen standing, piles of snow where it got tossed after shoveling, and snow in the shadows of the trees and buildings.
No, I have never had a snow day, unfortunately. One of my friend's schools did, though, when he poured water on the doors to his school at 4 AM, and the janitors couldn't open any of the doors, so their school had to be cancelled.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-11, 03:35 AM
I just took a look out my window and there are some mammoth icicles hanging from the roof. There's one that's at least 3 ft. long. I want to break it off and chase my friends around with it.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-02-11, 09:15 AM
I've got two back-to-back snow days. :smallbiggrin:

Ikialev
2010-02-11, 09:50 AM
The blizzard's so strong that you can't open your eyes without some kind of eye protection. truth.

Lord Blace
2010-02-11, 01:44 PM
Well, I'm not currently in school, but my brothers and sisters just got a day off. Because this is TX and any snow makes us go, "WTF IS ALL OF THIS!? I DON'T GET IT! ARE WE GOING TO DIE!?"

:smalltongue:

Temotei
2010-02-11, 09:32 PM
Well, I'm not currently in school, but my brothers and sisters just got a day off. Because this is TX and any snow makes us go, "WTF IS ALL OF THIS!? I DON'T GET IT! ARE WE GOING TO DIE!?"

:smalltongue:

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Solaris
2010-02-11, 09:51 PM
I lived in Michigan. Our school district had the official policy of "They all walk, so they don't need to worry about snow making it hard to drive." I can count with one hand how many snow days I've had.

Similarly, up here in Alaska we don't call off work 'cause of some sissy-pansy thing like a blizzard. Naw. We go out and do PT in it. Because we're Arctic Tough or something like that.
Much to my buddies' amusement after they transferred from here, in Germany they'll call off work because of a couple of inches of snow.

blackfox
2010-02-11, 11:13 PM
My sister's high school in VA has had 5 hours of school in the past two weeks.
My college in NY has had no classes cancelled in the past ten years or so. :smalltongue:

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2010-02-11, 11:24 PM
Being a small town Saskatachewan dweller, up here in the flat bits of Canada, we don't get snow days. If it snows, you still go. However, if it gets to minus forty most bus drivers (seeing as how the buses are uninsulated) don't go about, so the rural-dwelling 'bus kids' stay home. Town kids? Expected to go to school. Regardless of weather patterns. About a third of the class will the be the total number of town kids.

Though I distinctly recall a day in Elementary school in which we were snowed in during school.

Drakevarg
2010-02-11, 11:47 PM
Snow Days are a cruel lie. They have never happened and never will.

I live in Minnesota, where Mother Nature gets drunken moodswings. 120 degrees in the summer, -40 degrees in the winter. Yaaaaay.

And to make things better I get to wake up at 6:30 AM, then walk two miles through that. Being nocturnal (as in, natural sleep patterns are from 2-6 AM to 10 AM-2 PM) doesn't help.

I'm ALWAYS tired. I wish we had a damned snow day once in a blue moon so I could get some gorram sleep. But "snow" day is different than "cold enough to liquify oxygen" day. Evidently they don't have a system for the second one.

Dr.Epic
2010-02-12, 01:10 AM
I've got two back-to-back snow days. :smallbiggrin:

I haven't had class since the 4th of February and won't have class until the 15th.

the geekish one
2010-02-12, 03:03 PM
It's snowing in FLORIDA! I'm so happy, I thought that I would never see snow again after I moved here. I'm also frightened because this (http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=77) might happen.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-02-14, 10:20 PM
Hehe...snow days...

I'm in Detroit. We don't get too many snow days here. Even if we get a foot of snow.

All depends on when the snow hits, and how fast. If it's a foot overnight, then sure. A foot over the course of a whole day, then probably not.

Je dit Viola
2010-02-14, 10:29 PM
I've never had a snow day before.

The plows always clear it off in time, even if it's a couple feet. Even if it's all slushy. Even if it's all black ice, all the way there. Even blizzarding.

The closest I've ever had for a Snow Day was that the principal said over the announcement "The busses are arriving late, don't mark any students tardy if the get in class twenty minutes late."

Ravens_cry
2010-02-14, 10:38 PM
Snow, what is this 'snow' you speak of? We had pile of frozen water fall from the sky overnight once, but it was gone by the next morning, and so we never got a good look at it.

Solaris
2010-02-14, 11:05 PM
Though I distinctly recall a day in Elementary school in which we were snowed in during school.

That's a sick perversion of the snow day. It's unholy. Like a zombie puppy.