PDA

View Full Version : The Aurist (3.5, WIP)

Pie Guy
2010-02-05, 11:32 PM
The Aurist
Fluff coming!
Loosely based off a Stephan King novel I read last summer.

The Aurist
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Aura points, Absorb Aura +1d6, Least Aura

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3| Least Influence

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+3|Least Aura

4th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Absorb Aura +2d6

5th|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+4|Absorb Aura (Ranged), Least Aura

6th|
+4|
+2|
+2|
+5|Least Aura, Lesser Influence

7th|
+5|
+2|
+2|
+5|Absorb Aura +3d6, Minor Aura

8th|
+6/ +1|
+2|
+2|
+6|Aura Sight, Extend Aura

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+6| Minor Aura

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+3|
+7|Absorb Aura +4d6, Absorb Aura (30 ft. Emanation), Minor Influence

11th|
+8/+3|
+3|
+3|
+7|Minor Aura

12th|
+9/4|
+4|
+4|
+8|Retain Aura Points

13th|
+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+8|Absorb Aura +5d6, Greater Aura

14th|
+10/+5|
+4|
+4|
+9|Greater Influence

15th|
+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+9|Absorb Aura (60 ft. Emanation), Greater Aura

16th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Absorb Aura + 6d6

17th|
+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Greater Aura

18th|
+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11|Total Influence

19th|
+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Absorb Aura +7d6

20th|
+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Super Charge, Ultimate Aura[/table]

Alignment: Any Alignment

Hit Die: d6

The Aurist's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), and Profession (Wis).

Skill Points at First Level: (2 + Int modifier) x4

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier

Auras: Auras can affect all allies or enemies within Class level * 10 feet. The save is specified in the aura, and the dc is 10 + halfclass level + Cha. An aura cannot be used more than once per round.

Aura Points: The Aurist can hold a number of Aura Points (AP) equal to her class level plus Charisma modifier. These points are used to power her special abilities below. Aura Points last for one day, or until the Aurist goes to sleep or falls unconcious.

Absorbing AP from creatures without damaging them takes one minute per point gained. The Aurist does not need to concentrate specifically during this time.

Absorb Aura (Su): The Aurist can siphon away enemies' auras to damage their very essence. This is a standard action and does damage shown on the table. A will save of (dc = 10 + half class level + Cha) negates this damage. If an enemy fails, the Aurist gains one Aura Point. She can only absorb from creatures with at least one full hit die.

At first level, Absorb Aura targets one creature within threatened range.

At 4th level, AP gathered increases to 2 AP per creature damaged.

At 5th Level, she can target one creature within 60 ft.

At 10th level, She can choose to intead use a 30 ft. emanation, centered on her. This gives the aurist AP equal to the number of creatures that failed their save. All affected creatures take the same amount of damage.

At 12th level, AP gathered increases to 3 points per creature damaged.

At 15th level, the emanation improves to 60 ft.

At 17th level, AP gathered increases to 4 points per creature damaged.

Least Aura (Su): At first, 3rd, and 5th level, the Aurist gains an aura from the list of least auras. These auras cost one AP per round to maintain. This is a free action that can only be made on her turn.

Minor Aura (Su): At 7th, 9th, and 11th, the theAurist ganis an aura from the list of Minor Auras. Minor Auras cost three AP per round to maintain.This is a free action that can only be made on her turn.

Greater Aura (Su): At 13th, 15th, and 17th, the theAurist ganis an aura from the list of Greater Auras. Minor Auras cost six AP per round to maintain. This is a free action that can only be made on her turn.

Ultimate Aura (Su): At 20th level, the Aurist gains an Ultimate Aura. An Ultimate Aura cost 10 AP per round to maintain. This is a free action that can only be made on her turn.

Influence (Su): An Aurist gains one Influence of the appropriate level indicated on the table. Influences are always mind-affecting. Influences take a standard action to use, and the Aurist must be touching the target (in combat, this is a melee touch attack). Influences offer a will save of (dc = 10 + half class level + Cha).

Least Influences cost 2 AP.

Lesser Influences cost 5 AP.

Minor Influences cost 8 AP.

Greater Influences cost 11 AP.

Total Influences cost 14 AP.

Aura Sight (Su): At 8th level, the Aurist begins to see the auras of sentient beings. She can discern the alignment and attitude to the Aurist as a standard action.

As a side effect, she can see invisible creatures normally.

Extend Aura (Su): At 8th level, the aurist's auras last an additional round after she stops maintaining them.

Retain Aura Points (Su): At 12th level, the Aurist retains half of her AP indefinitly, even if she falls unconcious.

Super Charge (Su): At 20th level, the Aurist intantly recieves her full allotment of AP every round once per day for Charisma modifier rounds. This means that she could, for example, use 20 + Charisma modifier least auras, if she possesed so many auras.

Auras! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7832514&postcount=7)

Or you could just scroll down the page.

Temotei
2010-02-05, 11:34 PM
It's customary to fill in iterative attacks in the base attack bonus column.

Zexion
2010-02-05, 11:37 PM
This is definitely a WIP, however, I pose a question:
Is this a class based on sensing auras, controlling them, or telling people how SPOOKY they are? It is remarkably unclear.

Fortuna
2010-02-05, 11:38 PM
When I clicked this link I expected a gold-based class, or a class with super-hearing.

Temotei
2010-02-05, 11:42 PM
When I clicked this link I expected a gold-based class, or a class with super-hearing.

Aurum! :smallcool:

I thought about hearing as well.

Fortuna
2010-02-05, 11:45 PM
I know that gold would have been shoddy word-coining, but shoddy word-coining is not all that uncommon, and I have been doing chemistry.

Pie Guy
2010-02-06, 12:35 AM
Auras, Influences, and New Feats stored here? Madness!

Auras can affect all allies or enemies within Class level * 10 feet. The save is specified in the aura, and the dc is 10 + halfclass level + Cha. An aura cannot be used more than once per round.

Least Auras

Aura of Speed
Increase all affected creatures speed by 10 feet per 2 class levels(Min.10)

Aura of Life
All affected crearures are healed 1 Hp/ 2 Class levels. Like normal healing, this deals damage to undead.

Aura of Clarity
Affected creatures gain an aura bonus to concentration, spot, sense motive, and knowledge of 1/2 classlevel (min 1).

Aura of Anger
The Aurist chooses one creature type when he activates this aura. Affected creatures gain favored enemy bonuses as if they were a ranger of equal Character level against that creature type.

Aura of Fear
Will save negates. If a creature fails a will save, they become shaken. If this aura is maintained, the creature may make another save every round. For every two rounds this is maintained, the creaure advances one step closer to cowering.

Aura of Distraction
Will save negates. Affected creatures take a -1 aura penalty per two class levels to attack rolls, damage rolls and armor class.

Minor Auras

Aura of Darkness
Darkness encompasses the area, and chosen creatures gain a +1/ class level aura bonus to hide. If the Aurist maintains this for three rounds, affected creatures turn invisible until the Aurist ends the aura.

Aura of Helplessness
Will save negates. Affected creatures take a penalty to all saves as they feel that their actions are worthless.

Aura of Boldness
Affected creatures can take a penalty to AC in exchange for an equal bonus to attack and damage + the Aurist's Charisma modifier.

Aura of Paralysis
Fort save negates. Affected creatures cannot move from the spot they are in. This does not prevent them from defending themselves or attacking. This is the same as the immobilized effect in Tome of Magic, Shadowcaster section.

Aura of Luck
Affected creatures gets a +1/ four class levels luck bonus on all rolls.

Aura of Pain
Reflex save negates. The Aurist directly targets creatures' essence and deals 1d4 force damage per class level.

Greater Auras

Aura of Drowsiness
Will save negates. The targets take a cumulitive -2 penalty on attack rolls, Armor Class, skill checks, and saving throws. If the Aurist maintains this for three rounds, the targets must make an additional will save or fall asleep completely.

Aura of Force
Fort save negates. Targets get knocked to the edge of the Aurist's aura range. for every 20 ft. the target flies, they take 1d6 bludgeoning damage. This damage is doubled if the target hits a wall or other solid object.

Aura of Power
Targets gain a cumulitive +4 to strength and Dexterity for each turn the Aurist maintains this. If the Aurist maintains this for more than four rounds, the aurist must make a will save or take one point of Constitution damage.

Pie Guy
2010-02-06, 12:36 AM
Possibly a Prestige class or two here if I think of any?

DracoDei
2010-02-06, 06:20 PM
Does Aura of Paralysis prevent attacking?

Also, with the Aura-pool easy to drain, especially at higher levels, and getting only 1 point of aura regardless of how many points of damage you inflict and the AoE effects, it might be worth carrying around a bag full of beetles for quick recharges at certain levels...

When they do the AoE aura gathering can they exclude certain creatures? If not, can they pick a lower-level version, especially of the emanation?

Pie Guy
2010-02-06, 06:41 PM
Does Aura of Paralysis prevent attacking?

Also, with the Aura-pool easy to drain, especially at higher levels, and getting only 1 point of aura regardless of how many points of damage you inflict and the AoE effects, it might be worth carrying around a bag full of beetles for quick recharges at certain levels...

When they do the AoE aura gathering can they exclude certain creatures? If not, can they pick a lower-level version, especially of the emanation?

Actually, the emanation gives you one AP per creature damaged. But I should have the AP given increase, thank you.

Aura of Paralysis does not prevent attaking, but I'll make that more clear.

DracoDei
2010-02-06, 08:01 PM
Actually, the emanation gives you one AP per creature damaged. But I should have the AP given increase, thank you.
Try also limiting the aura gathering to creatures with at least 1/3 of your HD. That will automatically exclude small insects even at first level.

Aura of Paralysis does not prevent attaking, but I'll make that more clear.
I believe the official term for that condition is "Immobilized", although you might or might not like how that interacts with flying.

Also, I would edit the auras into the first post, just to keep everything easy to find.