PDA

View Full Version : I dislike taper...

Eon
2010-02-06, 04:42 PM
So, I am on the High School Swim Team. The season is almost over and taper recently started (Monday) and for those that don't know...
Taper guidelines:
Low sugar (natural sugar from fruits is okay)
No fried food
Take it easy (permission to be lazy :smallbiggrin:)
Water water water!:smallfurious:

Well... it's been almost a whole week and am getting tired of water, fruit and bread. Does anyone have some good recipes or ideas for this? Or tips for not going crazy for the rest of taper? please :smallfrown:

Edit: around 5 grams of sugar is the limit... per serving...:smalleek:

Telonius
2010-02-06, 04:45 PM
Boil some quinoa with chicken stock. Tastes really good, not much sugar in it, and it's pretty filling.

Zeb The Troll
2010-02-06, 05:01 PM
What is the purpose of this? How long do you have to do it?

Hazkali
2010-02-06, 05:04 PM
Whilst I've never been on a diet like this, my advice would be "be adventurous with your fruit". There's a big variety out there, and you don't have to wait for things to be in season anymore.

Your diet doesn't seem to mention cheese- that can liven up many meals.

thubby
2010-02-06, 05:16 PM
What is the purpose of this? How long do you have to do it?

it's a sports thing. a long period of rest before an event. the science behind it is good, however counter-intuitive it may be.

Coidzor
2010-02-06, 05:23 PM
Invest in black pepper and maybe even red pepper.

When you say sugars, does this extend to all carbohydrates or just simple sugars themselves or both simple sugars and starches?

Pasta with a small amount of olive oil and parmesan cheese is good if you can eat those three things. Tomatoes are a fruit and a vegetable, so you can have tomato and lettuce sandwiches with hummus if that's allowed. Can do a lean egg or tuna or chicken salad by only using a bare minimum of mayo (or occasionally not using it at all) and substituting mild mustard (unless you really like mustard and I believe most mild mustards are just water, a little vinegar, and mustard, without sugar in it, so is one of the better condiments for you)

If you really miss ketchup you can examine your tomatoes or tomato paste and try that or go for banana ketchup which uses bananas once they go slightly past banana nut bread stage, cinnamon, and some other spices, and not much else.

Jambalaya is basically rice, browned chicken and sausage, and celery, tomatoes, and bell peppers (along with any other veggies you want) stewed together until most of the liquid is just gone. Usually done with a bit of a mix of chicken stock, water, and tomato juice for the liquid (if it's Creole style anyway, which is the New Orleans version, cajun style cuts the tomatoes).

Red beans and rice is basically beans with a bit of salt and red pepper (and black too), which one cooks down until they're tender and either rupturing on their own or easily burst by the stirring of the wooden spoon or just against the side of the pot. Eat this over rice, and if you're ok for it, cook the beans with some sliced up, browned spicy sausage. Doesn't take a lot of sausage. A small pot could just have the one, large I'd say go with three sausages minimum.

Force
2010-02-06, 06:53 PM
If you're into baking, I suppose you could cheat and use a sugar substitute of sorts.

Coidzor
2010-02-06, 06:55 PM
If you're into baking, I suppose you could cheat and use a sugar substitute of sorts.

Fructose and dried milk together make a somewhat passable alternative to sucrose in baked goods. Oh wait, scratch that. I think sucralose (splenda) and dried milk is not quite as good but still workable from a structural standpoint.

Syka
2010-02-06, 07:01 PM
Look into Indian and Carribean recipes. You're allowed veggies, right?

Indians know how to make vegetarian meals DELICIOUS. Use of spices is paramount. I have a feeling it would also likely be low in sugar, although don't quote me on that. I know Indian and Carribean recipes can teach you how to make food delicious with just the use of spices, though.

A favorite of mine is a type of curried chickpea (aka garbanzo bean). It's in a sort of tomato based curry and is...OMG awesome, especially over basmati or jasmine rice. If you google it you should be able to find a recipe.

Solaris
2010-02-06, 07:57 PM
Look into Indian and Carribean recipes. You're allowed veggies, right?

Indians know how to make vegetarian meals DELICIOUS. Use of spices is paramount. I have a feeling it would also likely be low in sugar, although don't quote me on that. I know Indian and Carribean recipes can teach you how to make food delicious with just the use of spices, though.

A favorite of mine is a type of curried chickpea (aka garbanzo bean). It's in a sort of tomato based curry and is...OMG awesome, especially over basmati or jasmine rice. If you google it you should be able to find a recipe.

I can second that, and I don't even like vegetation.