PDA

View Full Version : Epic Shadowcaster Destiny [P.E.A.C.H.]

peacenlove
2010-02-07, 03:54 AM
Just homebrewed an epic destiny (http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drfe/20080428) that i wanted to share.

SHADOWCASTER EPIC DESTINY:

{table=head]Level|Benefit
21st|Vision of Shadow
24th|Mantle of Shadow
27th|Body of Shadow
30th|Mind of Shadow
[/table]

At the beginning there was darkness and darkness shall remain in the end. Mortality is just a restricting shell you already left behind. By walking on the myriad paths to shadow, your mind, body and even your very soul shall be empowered by the limitless power of the night, transformed into something eternal.

Requirements: Shadowcaster 21st level

21st Level: Vision of Shadow (Su): You gain telepathy out to 100 feet and the Mindsight feat; Your Umbral Sight extends to the range of your normal vision, you gain blindsight 60 feet (or your existing blindsight improves by 60 feet) and a bonus to spot and listen checks equal to your Shadowcaster level.

24th Level: Mantle of Shadow (Su): Your death threshold becomes equal to half your total Hit Points and you can take a standard action each round while at negative hit points. Use your Charisma instead of your Constitution modifier to determine bonus hit points. Mysteries you cast with a personal range cannot be dispelled except for by epic spells, artifacts, spells cast by other Shadowcasters with this ability, and deities.

27th Level: Body of Shadow (Su): You become incorporeal on the material plane. You can suppress or resume this ability as an immediate action. You can also use Greater Plane Shift (in Spell Compendium) without the need of a focus as a swift action at will but only to travel from or into the plane of shadow.

30th Level: Mind of Shadow (Su): Your Mysteries gain an extra use per day and you cannot be deprived of your senses either by mundane or magical means. You can use your metashadow feats one additional time per day. In addition add your Charisma modifier as an insight bonus to any save, skill or ability check.

Immortality: Memories of your past living self are the only thing that keeps you from being fully absorbed by the dark plane, but they slowly fade away. You finally master the true shadow of power ... or have you become a slave, a mighty tool of the plane’s alien sentience? One thing is for sure: When the mighty gods die, when the brightest suns eclipse and when the last fragment of mortality withers, you will be there, and prevail.

Realms of Chaos
2010-02-08, 03:07 AM
*applauds*

Nice work, as expected.

One big comment to make, however, is that body of shadow is a bit tricky. Last time that I checked, a ghost was an ethereal creature that could become an incorporeal creature. I don't recall it actually existing on both planes at once but that may be foggy memory.
Even if that is the case, however, you can't forget that the plane of shadows and material plane don't match up properly. In the real world, an ocean might be separated from a mountain range from a city. In the plane of shadows, the ocean and mountain range may very well connect. What would happen if the shadowcaster tries to enter the city or manipulate other discrepencies between the two planes?

peacenlove
2010-02-08, 06:33 AM
Check under manifestation ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm). That said by reading the manual of the planes you are right about the nature of the plane. I will change this ability accordingly. Also strengthened Mind of Shadow, it felt somewhat weak to me, especially since i empowered Body of shadow.