PDA

View Full Version : Cornish (and Welsh) speakers in the Playground?

llamamushroom
2010-02-08, 03:55 AM
Hi, everybody. I'm doing year 12, and for my major project I'm writing up some Cornish-folklore-inspired fantasy. Only problem is, I don't speak Cornish. I've got story ideas because of research (yay, Robert Hunt!), but there are some place names that I need to translate.

To those who speak the language, or to linguists in general, I've got a question: is Cornish grammar similar enough to Welsh that I could look at the closest Welsh word to the one I want (for instance, the Welsh "dawnsia" (to dance) for the Cornish "donsya"), and conjugate it using the Welsh system ("dawnsio" (dancing), and then "donsyo")? If I've got it completely wrong, please tell me.

Coidzor
2010-02-08, 04:19 AM
I wonder if Koorly can speak Cornish. She's Cornish. Or welsh, but probably Cornish, since she gets angry if you think she's from Wales and she's from one of those two places.

Stadge
2010-02-08, 05:09 AM
Now, I speak neither Cornish nor Welsh, but the degree I'm studying is Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic, and whilst I lean towards the germanic side of the languages, if you were to give an idea of the stuff you wnated, I could probably get the Medieval Welsh if that would help?

I may also be able to find someone who can speak Cornish, I'll check this afternoon at lectures. I don't suppose Manx would be of any use would it?

Lord Herman
2010-02-08, 05:15 AM
Now, I speak neither Cornish nor Welsh, but the degree I'm studying is Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic, and whilst I lean towards the germanic side of the languages, if you were to give an idea of the stuff you wnated, I could probably get the Medieval Welsh if that would help?

I may also be able to find someone who can speak Cornish, I'll check this afternoon at lectures. I don't suppose Manx would be of any use would it?

You are? Neat! I'm studying Celtic languages myself. Haven't had enough Welsh to be of any help, though, and I don't think Cornish is even taught here.

llamamushroom
2010-02-08, 07:05 AM
You are? Neat! I'm studying Celtic languages myself. Haven't had enough Welsh to be of any help, though, and I don't think Cornish is even taught here.

It probably isn't. Cornish actually died for a few hundred years, and even now is only spoken by die-hard patriots. Hence my need for a Welsh, or any Celtic, approximation.

Thanks a lot - Medieval Welsh is probably closer to what I need than Jenner's revival, anyway. It won't be anything too complicated, more "stone with hole" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%AAn-an-Tol) than "The Church of St Mary in the Hollow of the White Hazel near to the Rapid Whirlpool of Llantysilio of the Red Cave" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch). As to Manx, that's a Gaelic language, so it wouldn't have too many similarities to the Brittonic Celtic group. Thanks, anyway.

Seriously, thank you guys. If this works out I will be grateful from now until eternity.

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-02-08, 07:58 AM
I'm a Manx citizen (not native, but lived there for years).
I'm using Manx as the base for the pseudo-celtic people's place names and resurgent language in my D&D game, and I get my words from here. (http://www.gaelg.iofm.net/DICTIONARY/dict/A2Z.html)
Yes, it's Gaellic, but it's a great source for a more obscure celtic language.

llamamushroom
2010-02-08, 03:44 PM
I'm a Manx citizen (not native, but lived there for years).
I'm using Manx as the base for the pseudo-celtic people's place names and resurgent language in my D&D game, and I get my words from here. (http://www.gaelg.iofm.net/DICTIONARY/dict/A2Z.html)
Yes, it's Gaellic, but it's a great source for a more obscure celtic language.

Having a second look, that's actually fairly close to Cornish (or at least some words are). This'll be really helpful. Thanks.