PDA

View Full Version : A Dragon Age Blight In Azeroth

ArlEammon
2010-02-08, 11:07 AM
What would it take in Azeroth to defeat a Blight? Assume that before the Archdemon shows up that Grey Wardens are created to kill it. (Maybe Thedas has wizards that can travel through dimensions, and thus the Mages could have warned Azeroth about an incoming Blight)

We know that Grey Wardens can be anyone, who survive the Joining that is. Who might pass as Grey Wardens? Also, assume that there actually are Old Gods other than the canonical Warcraft Old Ones on Azeroth, and that they are on an unexplored continent. Broodmothers can be made the same way as they are in Thedas, and Darkspawn Ogres can be made from regular Ogres.

The Blight has many categories of DarkSpawn:
Hurlocks
Genlocks
Shrieks
Ogres
The Emissaries
The Alphas (of any of the 4 main categories)
The Omegas (of any of the 4 main categories)

BRC
2010-02-08, 11:56 AM
Assuming you remove all the other evil things destroying Azeroth, not much. a Blight is basically just a big army of evilness, and Azeroth has had that happen many times before. In fact, Azeroth is probably more capable of handling a Blight than ferelden is, considering the generally higher power level. Azeroth has flying units, a far higher population of mages who are not watched/oppressed by a religious organization that exists to kill them at a moments notice, divine magic (Paladins and priests), robots, and people who are used to fighting big evil monsters. Another horde of screaming evil won't be anything new.

Innis Cabal
2010-02-08, 12:06 PM
They've repelled the Burning Crusade...three times? I think they've got this one in the bag to be perfectly honest with you. A Blight is honestly small scale compared to the Third War

GolemsVoice
2010-02-08, 05:00 PM
Could you explain this Blight in detail. There ARE people out there that haven't played Dragon Age. But Azeroth has quite the experience with blights (even proper-noun Blight) and evil armies.

Dienekes
2010-02-08, 05:11 PM
Could you explain this Blight in detail. There ARE people out there that haven't played Dragon Age. But Azeroth has quite the experience with blights (even proper-noun Blight) and evil armies.

Picture an army of a lot of low to mid level orcs being led by Deathwing.

Azeroth would survive.

FoE
2010-02-08, 05:16 PM

A Blight is the emergence of a large horde of darkspawn headed by an archdemon.

The darkspawn have a fair bit of variety in their ranks: most are warriors, but there are rogues, spellcasters and others. Most are human-sized. Some are small and tough and some are extremely large and incredibly strong. All of them can fight; there are no darkspawn diplomats. They only take prisoners as food and never flee or negotiate.

Though it doesn't have a lot of impact on PCs, the darkspawn's most dangerous weapon is their blood. Darkspawn blood is poisonous and those who are infected with it either die painfully or are transformed into horrible creatures known as ghouls that are driven to serve the darkspawn.

Worse, the darkspawn's very presence sickens the land, causing plants to wither and animals to mutate into twisted versions of themselves.

There are always darkspawn in the world; they tend to stay underground, skirmishing with the dwarves. A true "Blight" only occurs when one of the seven Dragon gods — fearsome and immortal creatures that were once worshipped by a vast human empire — becomes infected by the darkspawn, at which point it rises to lead the horde. The Blight is ended only once the archdemon is slain.

There have been four Blights. The first Blight raged on for 80 years before the archdemon Dumat was defeated, which was only made possible with the forming of an order known as the Grey Wardens. They are immune to darkspawn blood and can "sense" their presence.

NO MORE SPOILERS PLEASE. I'm halfway through the game and I don't want to know if there's anything more to a Blight.

Hunter Noventa
2010-02-08, 05:36 PM
The Blight sounds a lot like the Scourge. I think The Lich King would be quite irate that someone is muscling in on his turf.

Makensha
2010-02-08, 05:49 PM
Are we talking Pre-WoW, WoW, or during the expacs? If during WoW, the hundreds of thousands of high level characters would probably wipe out the Blight in a day. Earlier, I'm not so sure about, but I'm pretty confident Azeroth would survive.

FoE
2010-02-08, 06:38 PM
It's hard to say how the darkspawn's power level would scale in WoW, but it strikes me that Azeroth already has enough foul creatures that the darkspawn wouldn't be out of place.

A Song of Ice and Fire is another story. If a Blight were to rise in the north instead of the wraiths, those people would be absolutely and totally screwed.

warty goblin
2010-02-08, 06:43 PM
It's hard to say how the darkspawn's power level would scale in WoW, but it strikes me that Azeroth already has enough foul creatures that the darkspawn wouldn't be out of place.

A Song of Ice and Fire is another story. If a Blight were to rise in the north instead of the wraiths, those people would be absolutely and totally screwed.

Although ASoIaF people at least have the advantage over the humans in Dragon Age of having, ya'know, actual tactics.

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-08, 06:48 PM
Another important part of the Blight is explained fairly early in the game, but most people tend to overlook it until the end of the game.

Face of Evil, or anyone else, this is really a spoiler that you should not open until you deal with Loghain.

Grey Wardens are essential to ending a Blight. If anyone else kills an archdemon, it will simply be born again in another darkspawn's body. If a Grey Warden kills an archdemon, however, the essence of the archdemon will travel to the Grey Warden's soul, killing both of them instantly. So, unless they have Grey Wardens, they cannot end a Blight, no matter what happens. They can slow it down, but they cannot stop it. Especially since Azeroth has thousands of females that can be turned into broodmothers.

That said, I expect a Blight on Azeroth to last shorter than the First Blight on Thedas, simply because they have more powerful magicians and can probably discover how to create a Grey Warden earlier.

FoE
2010-02-08, 06:53 PM
Although ASoIaF people at least have the advantage over the humans in Dragon Age of having, ya'know, actual tactics.

They sure do. They're very adept at a wide range of tactics, such as betrayal, treachery, stabbing each other in the back, decieving their allies, lying, cheating, raping prisoners, killing helpless civilians, etc.

ZeroNumerous
2010-02-08, 06:56 PM
5, 10, 25, or 40 player characters.

What? You think Blizzard would introduce a Blight and not turn it into a raid or dungeon?

The Rose Dragon
2010-02-08, 06:57 PM
5, 10, 25, or 40 player characters.

What? You think Blizzard would introduce a Blight and not turn it into a raid or dungeon?

You know, Azeroth was much more scary before everyone was a demigod in their own right. :smalltongue:

warty goblin
2010-02-08, 07:01 PM
They sure do. They're very adept at a wide range of tactics, such as betrayal, treachery, stabbing each other in the back, decieving their allies, lying, cheating, raping prisoners, killing helpless civilians, etc.

Less with the shield walls and cavalry circles though...

Neo
2010-02-08, 07:11 PM
Wouldn't a blight pretty much just be like when the orcs invaded Azeroth though the portal? As they're basically Ferelden's version of them.

Drakyn
2010-02-08, 07:15 PM
Wouldn't a blight pretty much just be like when the orcs invaded Azeroth though the portal? As they're basically Ferelden's version of them.

Those were simpler times, when it was just orcs, humans, and a few ogres in a dungeon somewhere. Nowadays you'd open up a portal and it'd land in an Old God's kitchen or Deathwing's favorite napping spot or something and the whole thing would be shot before Blizzard could get more than a questing zone, a five-man dungeon hub, a ten-and-twenty-five raid, and a few major characters out of it.

GolemsVoice
2010-02-09, 01:08 AM
This really sounds like standart fare for Azeroth. Even leaving aside WoW and it's players, there have been: 2 incursions of the Burning Legion, and one quite succesfull attempt to strike back at THEM, a blight that heralded the Burning Legion, which is not that different from the Dragon Age Blight, only with undead instead of Darkspawn, the rise of the Silithids, the Emerald Nightmare, the awakening of 2! Old Gods and one who is just a god, etc...

warty goblin
2010-02-09, 01:13 AM
...the awakening of 2! Old Gods and one who is just a god, etc...

2! = 2. Now if we look at the 3! case however, the pain is much, much higher...

GolemsVoice
2010-02-09, 03:35 AM
Well, Old Gods are supposed to be mindboggling horror, so it would be fitting, I guess.

FoE
2010-02-09, 12:57 PM
Less with the shield walls and cavalry circles though...

My point was that Westeroth is far, far too disfunctional to stand against the Blight. Nobody would believe it was happening until the darkspawn were at the gates of King's Landing and they're virtually incapable of rallying together to stop such a threat. You'd have a dozen Teryn Loghains practically falling over themselves to betray one another instead of just the one royally screwing up the situation.

At least the people of Ferelden will say "Well, damn, I guess we better do something about this Blight" if you help them out with a problem.

WalkingTarget
2010-02-09, 12:59 PM
2! = 2. Now if we look at the 3! case however, the pain is much, much higher...

Nobody likes a math nerd, Scully.

Well, except maybe me. Well played, WG.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-09, 06:27 PM
Since (Dragon Age) Darkspawn level with you: the higher the WoW people the stronger the Blight.

So all these level 70 dudes make the blight stronger. WoW makes it tougher.

AstralFire
2010-02-09, 06:48 PM
That doesn't change the fact that Azeroth's ambient power level is WAY higher. They have a floating city, for pete's sake. Darkspawn leveling with you is purely a gameplay mechanic and wasn't even given an in-story explanation if I recall.

One of the many Mary Sues of WoW would probably figure out the whole Grey Warden thing in a year, tops. Possibly without anyone having to actually sacrifice themselves.

That said, the Blight >>> anything in Azeroth as far as being an interesting opponent.

Makensha
2010-02-09, 09:25 PM
Since (Dragon Age) Darkspawn level with you: the higher the WoW people the stronger the Blight.

So all these level 70 dudes make the blight stronger. WoW makes it tougher.

80 nowadays. But anyway, WoW period would still annihilate the Darkspawn, because all those 80 dudes are pretty much immortals, just needing a quick spirit run to resurrect and continuing on their war path.

thubby
2010-02-09, 11:20 PM
even if no one figured out the wardens, there are enough banishments, sealing techniques, and curses in azeroth to disable them if nothing else. there are god level entities being kept at bay by mortal magic.

Leliel
2010-02-11, 09:07 PM
I have to say Azeroth would win...

Unless the darkspawn figure out how to create broodmothers from races other than elves, humans, and dwarves.

Then it gets a lot more intresting. Azeroth would still win, although it'd be a lot more fun for Grey Warden PCs.

For those of you so wondering, a broodmother is basically a female ghoul turned living darkspawn factory. It's pretty much how they reproduce and create armies to throw at everyone else