PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Homebrew creation?

ZombieGenesis
2010-02-08, 08:13 PM
I've been working on putting together some homebrew races, based on a story I've been writing and would be interested in suiting to a D&D system. My likely choice would be 3.5, though that's largely circumstancial.

Since this is a homebrew board, I was wondering if anyone had some general advise for constructing homebrew races? I will be making one special homebrew class per race, but that will come later. Any tips appreciated, I've not long been into the game~

Temotei
2010-02-08, 08:18 PM
Classes are generally more well received when they're balanced to tier three.

Take advice. Never think your creation can't be better.

Proofread.

Races with no level adjustment are easier to balance when they're simple.

Level adjustment is one of those things you have to be careful with. Ask if a player will want to play the race.

Races shouldn't be built with a specific role in mind. They should be flexible.

I think that's all I've got for now.

JoshuaZ
2010-02-08, 08:29 PM
I've been working on putting together some homebrew races, based on a story I've been writing and would be interested in suiting to a D&D system. My likely choice would be 3.5, though that's largely circumstancial.

Since this is a homebrew board, I was wondering if anyone had some general advise for constructing homebrew races? I will be making one special homebrew class per race, but that will come later. Any tips appreciated, I've not long been into the game~

Proofread before you give it to anyone to look at. People hate having to deal with silly typos or confusing wording. (I know I'm a bit of hypocrite in that regard).

Format things well. The reasoning for this is similar to that for proofreading.

There are already a lot of races out there. So to some extent it may make sense to ask if there are already existing races that can be refluffed before you introduce more.

I will be making one special homebrew class per race, but that will come later.

Making good base classses are really, really difficult. Making multiple? That's going to be hard. In general, fixing classes to races is worrisome. Maybe you should consider instead making PrCs that each have a specific race as a requirement. PrCs are (generally) easier to balance and can fit in with flavor better. If you are set on making classes then try to keep in mind that classes which work well are classes that have lots of options that aren't easily replicable by other classes. Thus, one of the problems with the core fighter is that almost everything the fighter can take is something that any other class can do. The problem with Knock is that it renders a lot of what the rogue does irrelevant. Etc.

DracoDei
2010-02-08, 08:37 PM
Take this all with a grain of salt... this is how to design a REALLY good race IMHO. It might be too much for your first few times around (so many go back and re-write your first few after you get done with the last one?).

Make them real. Write the race THEN and ONLY then worry about the mechanics. Figure out their biology in as much detail as you can. Don't be afraid to crack an anatomy textbook, especially in the more extreme cases of divergences from human. Figure out their culture, their economics. Describe a day in the life of a prototypical (not typical) commoner of that race in detail.

Examples of things to consider:

Lifespan, including all 4 age brackets given in the PHB, and Max. Age
Height/Weight
Reproduction (marriage? asexual budding? what?) Which races are the interfertile with (dragons, celestials and fiends at least probably...) and how are such relationships viewed? See my Wing Dragons and Mepholk for examples of interesting takes on the social role of interspecies marriages.
Diet/Cuisine
Intermixed with other races? Isolationist? Intinerant?
Religion (not just a patron diety if they have one, but prevelence of the worship of all the other dieties)
Diplomatic relations if any.
Individuals relationships with members of other species.
Military style/role (either on their own or intengrated into the units with other races).

Don't aim for LA +0, let the LA fall where it will (but allow buy off, and don't over LA them), make the mechanics as complicated as you need to (if you can handle it). Don't be afraid to give obscure bonuses where the fluff of the race indicates it (other people will disagree with that, but that is my stance... my mepholk have a +4 bonus to saves against the venom of snakes and snake-like creatures).

I short, write them like you were writing a novel... then translate that into D&D. Make something that a player will say "WHOA! I want to play one of THOSE!" before they even hear the mechanics (and then make the mechanics balanced enough that they won't regret their choice... although it is acceptable if certain races are "for experienced players only" due mechanics that are tricky to utilize properly... either advantages or drawbacks).

Moofaa
2010-02-08, 09:05 PM
Depending on your style of DMing and how your players play making new base classes can be difficult or very easy. If you and/or your players are rules lawyers or powergamers you have your work cut out for you.

I redid all the races/classes for my fantasy world, magic users are completely different from standard DnD and fighters now get ToB-inspired abilities. Some races are monster-races and therefore have no classes but do posess level progression. Luckily my players aren't majorly into the rules and as long as they have fun and get to do awesome stuff from time to time they don't pick over the exact wording of a spell or ability or try to find ways of abusing the system.

Races are typically easier, start with the fluff and make the crunch complement it. Adjust ECL if necessary.

lightningcat
2010-02-09, 01:15 AM
Use the standardized formating. And when making classes, use a table. Otherwise your first 10 posts will be about those issues, it might seem minor, but it makes it much easier for everyone else to understand.

lesser_minion
2010-02-09, 09:04 AM
Fax Celestis wrote a guide to homebrewing, which includes the BBCodes for all of the tables you might need. It's listed under the Notable Threads index.

Fax also wrote a guideline on what a good class should look like, which you might be able to find on the boards.

Surgo
2010-02-09, 09:42 AM
Just say what your balance target is beforehand (that's for anything, not just classes). That will immediately cut away about 90% of ignorant feedback before you begin.

DracoDei
2010-02-09, 10:11 AM
One follow up note: when I say "don't over LA them" I mean that as I understand it, most monsterous races are over LAed in the books on the understanding that that keeps the demographics of adventuring parties somewhat more realistic.