PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Minor low level magic tweaks

ZerglingOne
2010-02-09, 07:40 AM
Anyone who has ever played a first level wizard knows how utterly painful it can be. You enter combat, at best you have 3 first level spells prepared. 1 from a specialty school, 1 from wizard, and 1 from bonus int (at least I hope so). 3 rounds and you're reduced to lousy cantrips. Hell, it's probably even shorter than that if you think you may be facing ranged opponents and want to survive (casting mage armor and shield).

I thus propose two tweaks to the magic system:
Tweak 1: Since shield can't be conferred to another player and you're unlikely to pass a mage armor to someone else, why not just count them as dispellable magic "equipment" that occupy spell slots? This allows a mage caught in an ambush to have better AC than he normally might. Why this tweak? While the shield spell has a significantly shorter duration than mage armor, I have known of very few wizards these spells wear off of in any given combat scenario. Those same wizards always rest after a combat scenario to regain spells anyway, just have them as an "always on" should they occupy a spell slot. You could further tweak them and require a standard action to activate each one.

Tweak 2: Allow the use of bonus slots immediately. What do I mean? A +4 int modifier confers a bonus slot to each of your first 4 levels of spells. This proposed tweak would give the wizard 3 higher level spell slots to occupy with his lower level spells, and even use metamagic feats such as heighten spell right off the bat. Why this tweak? A first level wizard could have up to 3 extra spells if he has 18 int, these spells would be even more powerful if he could metamagic them, thus opening new builds to try at level 1. This would in no way allow a wizard/sorcerer to learn level 2, 3, or 4 spells, just use the bonus spell slots they have in them.

Essentially, this is just making the wizard less fragile and more versatile at low levels. As he gains in experience, he would level out with the current way wizards are by the time he gets 5th level spells. Personally I don't think this is too rigged, but that's because I thought it up and wouldn't be posting here if I didn't want someone's opinion on it.

Ponce
2010-02-09, 08:36 AM
Mage Armour can be cast on other characters.

Wizards only need one spell to end an encounter anyway.

Even at low levels, their offensive ability is ridiculous. This makes it worse.

Yeah, they're fragile, but that's because they don't have high level buffs yet. More low-level spells won't really make them less fragile.

Eloel
2010-02-09, 08:42 AM
Classes like Warmage know all spells on their list automatically. If you give them a 4th level slot at 1st level, they cast 4th level spells at 1st level. That won't work.

ZerglingOne
2010-02-09, 08:43 AM
Mage Armour can be cast on other characters.

Wizards only need one spell to end an encounter anyway.

Even at low levels, their offensive ability is ridiculous. This makes it worse.

Yeah, they're fragile, but that's because they don't have high level buffs yet. More low-level spells won't really make them less fragile.

Alright, so mage armor can be cast on others.

Grease and color spray affect allies too, do you have your wizard march in the front of the party?

Define "ridiculous".

No, but it will free up precious spell slots for things like mage armor or shield, thus increasing their survivability. Last time I checked, with 16 or so dex, you have 21 ac. Pretty tough for a kobold or goblin to hit a 21 ac.

Classes like Warmage know all spells on their list automatically. If you give them a 4th level slot at 1st level, they cast 4th level spells at 1st level. That won't work.

The point is you don't actually have 4th level spellcasting... You have 4th level slots you can occupy with 1st level spells.

Ponce
2010-02-09, 09:11 AM
Alright, so mage armor can be cast on others.

Grease and color spray affect allies too, do you have your wizard march in the front of the party?

Define "ridiculous".

No, but it will free up precious spell slots for things like mage armor or shield, thus increasing their survivability. Last time I checked, with 16 or so dex, you have 21 ac. Pretty tough for a kobold or goblin to hit a 21 ac.

Grease and colour spray have range. You also have a move action. You also have Sleep. You are trivializing encounters with one casting. This is assuming core-only and pre-level 3. Relax either of these assumptions and you suddenly are even more powerful.

Ridiculous, as above, trivializing encounters with a single casting.

Wizard fragility comes from its piss-poor hit dice, not just arcane spell failure. Get hit with an AoO or an enemy spell and you are in deep doo-doo.

You are literally giving a buff to what is usually recognized as the most powerful class in the game.

Lysander
2010-02-09, 09:34 AM
Yeah, it's unnecessary. Wizards do have weapon proficiencies after all...they can start off the encounter with a game-changer like Grease and then shoot arrows poorly until all the enemies are dead. The real goal of being a wizard is not to cast one spell every round, it's to cast that one cunningly used game-changer that allows your team to win.

DracoDei
2010-02-09, 10:07 AM
I actually use tweak 2, but without the metamagicability thing. They are simply spell slots of that level. Of course, the wizard in my game is a conjuration specialize who likes Summon Monster spells and has an LA from something that grants him Dex (nice, but hardly going to help his spellcasting), and Scent. But this rule also worked out just fine as far as I can tell in the game I PLAYED in where it was instituted.