PDA

View Full Version : Soul Tinker [3.5 PrC]

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-10, 08:38 PM
Soul Tinker

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs46/i/2009/189/b/5/Teron_by_Honez.jpg
The blue glow of Incarnum surrounds the armaments forged by Rikis Fuege, Warforged Soul Tinker.

The azure mists of Incarnum suffuse the universe, and those able to manipulate them can draw upon this cosmic force to fashion arms and equipment from thin air. Some, however, transcend this, learning to weave Incarnum like a fabric, meld it into metal, and imprison it inside iron plates. These Soul Tinkers work with the energies of the universe itself, breathing life into their creations, and infusing them with the very energies of their creator's soul, forming a bond between man and machine that nothing else in the multiverse is capable of replicating...a bond that unlocks powers hidden from mortal sight.

Hit Dice: d6

Requirements
To become a Soul Tinker, a character must meet the following criteria.
Feats: Split Chakra (any one Chakra).
Skills: Use Magic Device 10 ranks.
Special: Must the ability to bind Chakras to the Crown.
Special: Must have the Retain Essence class feature.

Class Skills
The Soul Tinker’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (architecture and engineering) (Int), Knowledge(religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Infusions
1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Chakra Bind (Feet, Hands), Advanced Meldshaping, Azure Phantoms Under Iron Skin |+1 level of existing infusion using class
2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|Split Chakra, Soul of the Machine I|+1 level of existing infusion using class
3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|Tempered by Spirit|+1 level of existing infusion using class
4th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Split Chakra, Improved Azure Phantoms Under Iron Skin|+1 level of existing infusion using class
5th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Chakra Bind (Arms, Brow, Shoulders), Soul of the Machine II|+1 level of existing infusion using class
6th|+4|+5|+2|+5|Split Chakra, Commune with Steel|+1 level of existing infusion using class
7th|+5|+5|+2|+5|Greater Azure Phantoms Under Iron Skin|+1 level of existing infusion using class
8th|+6|+6|+2|+6|Split Chakra, Soul of the Machine III|+1 level of existing infusion using class
9th|+6|+6|+3|+6|Chakra Bind (Throat, Waist), Infusion of Universal Essence|+1 level of existing infusion using class
10th|+7|+7|+3|+7|Split Chakra, Supreme Azure Phantoms Under Iron Skin, Greater Commune with Steel|+1 level of existing infusion using class
[/table]

Infusions (Sp): Each level of Soul Tinker grants you an increase in caster level, extra infusions known, and extra infusions per day as if you had also gained a level in whatever infusion using class you belonged to before you entered the Soul Tinker prestige class. Additionally, your effective caster level for item creation is equal to the combined sum of your Artificer levels + your Soul Tinker levels + 2. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Advanced Meldshaping (Ex): Each level of Soul Tinker grants you an increase in meldshaper level, soulmelds active, Essentia possessed, and Chakra binds possible as if you had also gained a level in whatever meldshaping class you belonged to before you entered the Soul Tinker prestige class. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Chakra Bind (Ex): Beginning at 2nd level you may bind Chakras to your arms, brow, and shoulders. Beginning at 5th level you may bind Chakras to your throat and waist.

Split Chakra: You gain Split Chakra as a bonus feat. You must choose a Chakra you do not already possess this feat for.

Azure Phantoms Under Iron Skin (Ex): Whenever you craft a magic item that occupies a slot on the body, you may craft a second set of item powers worth up to 50% of the primary item's value without expending experience points, time, or gold pieces in the process (unless the item requires spells with such requirements, in which case the spell's requirements must be paid as normal for crafting an item). This second set of powers occupies a phantom "Chakra Bind" portion of the item you produce, and remains inaccessible until you bind the item in question to the appropriate body slot. For example: Rikis Feuge, a 3rd level Soul Tinker, crafts a pair of magical gauntlets worth 32,000gp. He adds the phantom quality of Gauntlet's of Ogre Power: a +4 Enhancement bonus to Strength valued at 16,000gp. When wearing his gauntlets, he gains only the normal abilities. If, however, he binds his gauntlets to his Hand Chakra, he gains the +4 Enhancement bonus to Strength in addition to the item's normal qualities.

At 4th level, the phantom set of item powers can be of any value up to 75% of the primary item's value.

At 7th level, the phantom set of item powers can be of any value up to 100% of the primary item's value.

At 10th level, the phantom set of item powers can be of any value up to 125% of the primary item's value.

Soul of the Machine (Su): By investing a single point of Essentia into an item you wear, the item becomes an intelligent item, capable of telepathic communication with you (but not verbal communication). It's alignment matches yours, and it gains 2 lesser item powers (your choice), does not contest you for control, and has 12 Int, 12 Wis, and 12 Cha. Additionally, add +1 to the save DCs of all the item's effects that require saving throws. Any static numerical (+X to some modifier) bonus it grants increases by +1.

At 5th level, you may invest up to 2 points of Essentia in any one item you carry. The item grants you two lesser powers and one greater power (your choice), does not contest you for control, and has 15 Int, 15 Wis, and 15 Cha. Additionally, add +2 to the save DCs of all the item's effects that require saving throws. Any static numerical (+X to some modifier) bonus it grants increases by +2.

At 9th level you may invest up to 3 points of Essentia in any one item you carry. The item grants you three lesser powers and two greater powers (your choice), does not contest you for control, and has 18 Int, 18 Wis, and 18 Cha. Additionally, add +3 to the save DCs of all the item's effects that require saving throws. Any static numerical (+X to some modifier) bonus it grants increases by +3.

Once you have selected the item powers gained by a particular item, you gain those same powers each time you invest Essentia into that item. Daily uses of item powers do not refresh for 24 hours, even if you re-invest Essentia into the item before the time has expired.

Tempered by Spirit (Su): Whenever you have a item worn in an item slot also occupied by a soulmeld, that item gains a Luck bonus to all saves it makes equal to your class level. Additionally, it adds you class level to its hardness, and twice your class level to its total hit points.

Commune with Steel (Ex): Whenever you have an item enhanced with Soul of the Machine and a soulmeld occupying the same body slot, you may, as a free action, activate one of that item's powers without using the normal action required. You may use this ability once per round.

At 10th level, you may use this ability twice per round.

Infusion of Universal Essence (Ex): Magic items you carry cannot have their powers suppressed by dispel magic effects, anti-magic fields, or any similar effect. Magic items you carry function normally in anti-magic areas.

Eldonauran
2010-02-10, 08:48 PM
0.o .... I like it. I like it a lot.

The anti-magic field immunity thing may be overpowered but, the rest seems pretty sweet. I think antimagic immunity should not be available until level 20+ but *shrugs*

You should probably let the items get a saving throw (for dispel effects) or take a page out of the epic level handbook and make the antimagic field make a caster level check in order to surpress the items (similar to epic spells).

Glimbur
2010-02-10, 09:09 PM
Cool.

It's possible to get in as straight artificer, provided you're willing to burn three feats to pretend to have taken a meldshaping class. This raises two concerns: 1)Your effective caster level is now higher than your character level and 2) You don't have a meldshaper class to progress. These are not fatal concerns, and might even be intentional design features, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of them.

FlamingKobold
2010-02-10, 09:15 PM
*Fluff*

I really like it. That's a great picture and very nice writing. Do you draw the pictures yourself? If not, where do you get them? I've never seen you fail to have a great picture for your creations.

Hit Dice: d8

A step up for the artificer, down for the soulborn, no change for totemist and up for the incarnate. Seeing as this is generally geared towards an artificer/incarnate entrance, i think a d6 would be better, but it's your call.

Requirements
To become a Soul Tinker, a character must meet the following criteria.
Feats: Split Chakra
Skills: Use Magic Device 12 ranks.
Special: Must the ability to bind Chakras to Hands, Feet, and Crown.
Special: Must have the Retain Essence class feature.

Pretty late entry point, especially seeing as how I don't think any of the incarnum classes have UMD.

Infusions (Sp): .

Why the +2? Is it to make up for having to multiclass into a meldshaping class?

Advanced Meldshaping (Ex):

Add the traditional "If you had more than one meldshaping class beforee entering this PrC..." clause and you're good. Also, why do you advance chakra binding when you do those separately as a class feature of the PrC?

Chakra Bind (Ex):

Alright, fine. I think you get thease earlier than you would otherwise, but I might bewrong about that.

Azure Phantoms Under Iron Skin (Ex):

I'm pretty sure that this is a totally free power up, since, iirc, you can't bind to a chakra if you're wearing a magic item there. So this is basically a 1/3 for everything worn, and then 1/2 off at 5th. Well, excluding locationless stuff, but still.

Soul of the Machine (Su):

Woah. This is quite good, especially with things like the luckstone, caster level increases, monk's belt, etc. Maybe a finite list would be better. Also, aren't there items that give you +1 or maybe +2 essentia? I think I've seen those somewhere, and that gets quite overpowered. Spend 2 essentia to get 3? Okay.

Infusion of Universal Essence (Ex):

This might be a bit too much. As the capstone of a 10 level PrC, sure. (I think you could easily do that, too) I think you should do opposed caster level checks, because this is quite good.

I think you should turn this into a 10 level prestige class. Also because, after you finish this, there isn't anwhere to go. It's like the Mystic theurge waster levels on steroids.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-10, 09:16 PM
Cool.

It's possible to get in as straight artificer, provided you're willing to burn three feats to pretend to have taken a meldshaping class. This raises two concerns: 1)Your effective caster level is now higher than your character level and 2) You don't have a meldshaper class to progress. These are not fatal concerns, and might even be intentional design features, but I wanted to make sure you were aware of them.

Your effective caster level as an Artificer is always 2 higher than your actual character level.

And yes, that would be permissible. If you don't have a meldshaper level, then you gain nothing from it (and have next to no Essentia). You'll make up for it with a more advanced crafting ability. A fairly even trade, in my opinion.

I'd say it's not a problem at all.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-10, 10:04 PM
OMG FINALLY! I've been waiting for this since you hinted at it in the Madspark Eccentric thread. Awesome!

Reading now!

OK, firstly, I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of items with numerical bonuses that you really do not want them being able to add +3 to. Not sure there are any, but like I said, I'd be concerned.

Secondly, this runs into the standard theurgic problem, but even worse, because it's 5 levels long - what happens when you finish the class? I mean, you're a Artificer 5/Incarnate 4/Soul Tinker 5, you count as an Artificer 10 and Incarnate 9 for Infusions and Soul Melding. Now what?

Also, that entry is brutal. I feel really bad for that level 9 character who wants to become one of these.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-10, 10:19 PM
OK, firstly, I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of items with numerical bonuses that you really do not want them being able to add +3 to. Not sure there are any, but like I said, I'd be concerned.

Valid point. I'll specify the sorts of bonuses that it applies to.

Secondly, this runs into the standard theurgic problem, but even worse, because it's 5 levels long - what happens when you finish the class? I mean, you're a Artificer 5/Incarnate 4/Soul Tinker 5, you count as an Artificer 10 and Incarnate 9 for Infusions and Soul Melding. Now what?

Again, a very valid point, and one that I didn't fully consider. I suppose you'd go Artificer 6 for the rest, ending up able to create items that require level 9 spells...and remember: your items are a 2 for 1 deal, AND you can still shape soulmelds over them.

Still, any ideas for solving this? I'm hesitant to make the class a full 10 levels, as it seems to function nicely at 5...

DragoonWraith
2010-02-10, 10:26 PM
Hmm, I read binding them as taking up that Chakra, and therefore you couldn't use soulmelds in those chakras. Is this not the case?

Personally, I'd make it 10 levels long, and make the requirements 2nd level Infusions (Artificer 3) and the ability to bind any Chakra (Incarnate or Totemist 2), UMD 8 ranks, and maybe give the Retain Essence feature at some point. That puts you much closer to a reasonable level of Infusion-using/Soulmelding, I think. More similar to most theurgic classes, really.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-10, 10:30 PM
Hmm, I read binding them as taking up that Chakra, and therefore you couldn't use soulmelds in those chakras. Is this not the case?

The feat required, Split Chakra, allows you to do exactly that. You can't bind soulmelds to that Chakra, but you can still use them. Unless I was confused.

Personally, I'd make it 10 levels long, and make the requirements 2nd level Infusions (Artificer 3) and the ability to bind any Chakra (Incarnate or Totemist 2), UMD 8 ranks, and maybe give the Retain Essence feature at some point. That puts you much closer to a reasonable level of Infusion-using/Soulmelding, I think. More similar to most theurgic classes, really.

Problem is that I don't have 10 levels worth of material on this class...and if I don't have 10 levels of material, I don't want to try to force myself to make a 10 level class. What if I lowered the Incarnum requirements, so you could make it at Incarnate level 2 (i.e. just require the Crown Chakra)? It would mean you'd get access to all the Chakra binds (up to Throat/Waist) a little prior to an Incarnate, but with much less potential to use them.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-10, 10:37 PM
Ok, that's true, but you'd need Split Chakra for every Chakra, then, to do that, assuming you made an item for every slot (and you're an artificer for chris'sakes! Of course you will).

On ten levels, though, that actually could work nicely, I think.

Something like...
{table=head]Level | Special
1st | Advanced Meldshaping, Azure Phantoms Under Iron Skin
2nd | Split Chakra, Chakra Bind (Hands)
3rd | Retain Essence, Chakra Bind (Crown, Feet)
4th | Split Chakra
5th | Infusion of Universal Essence (+1)
6th | Split Chakra
7th | Chakra Bind (Arms, Brow, Shoulders)
8th | Split Chakra, Infusion of Universal Essence (+3)
9th | Improved Soul of the Machine
10th | Split Chakra, Chakra Bind (Throat, Waist), Greater Azure Phantoms Under Iron Skin[/table]
You get in earlier, but take it longer, and get the Split Chakra feats that you're really, really going to want. That covers 6 of the 9 chakras where you might also want an item. The Split Chakra levels are a little boring, but Split Chakra is a good feat that you definitely want, so they're hardly dead, and the main thing is that you're continuing dual-progression.

I'd even consider adding another 5 levels to take you to 20. Even if it only gave you three Split Chakra feats and continued dual progression, it'd be worth it.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-10, 10:40 PM
Ok, that's true, but you'd need Split Chakra for every Chakra, then, to do that, assuming you made an item for every slot (and you're an artificer for chris'sakes! Of course you will).

On ten levels, though, that actually could work nicely, I think.

Again, good points all. I'll take a look at what I can do, and post a revised version soon.

Glimbur
2010-02-10, 10:52 PM

I was about to worry about Luckstones, but you can't really argue that they're "worn". Might be good to clarify that, just to be sure.

The feat required, Split Chakra, allows you to do exactly that. You can't bind soulmelds to that Chakra, but you can still use them. Unless I was confused.

You have to pick a Chakra to split with the feat. It'd be a reasonable class ability to let the soul tinker ignore that only for the purposes of using azure phantoms under iron skin.

You could explicitly let this stack with a meldshaper class so that after finishing this you can either take more Artificer or more Incarnate/Totemist.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-10, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I just realized what my issue with Azure Phantoms Under Iron Skin is - items don't usually get bound. They take up a Chakra even "unbound", in that you cannot have a Chakra bound at the same time as having an item there. That's what the Split Chakra feat allows you to do. With Split Chakra, I'd guess, you can bind an item to the same Chakra that you have it in (provided you have Split Chakra for that Chakra), but you still couldn't use a soulmeld in that slot.

Maybe something like "You may bind this item to its Chakra, but this displaces any Soulmeld from this Chakra unless you have the Split Chakra feat for this Chakra," or something.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-10, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I just realized what my issue with Azure Phantoms Under Iron Skin is - items don't usually get bound. They take up a Chakra even "unbound", in that you cannot have a Chakra bound at the same time as having an item there. That's what the Split Chakra feat allows you to do. With Split Chakra, I'd guess, you can bind an item to the same Chakra that you have it in (provided you have Split Chakra for that Chakra), but you still couldn't use a soulmeld in that slot.

Maybe something like "You may bind this item to its Chakra, but this displaces any Soulmeld from this Chakra unless you have the Split Chakra feat for this Chakra," or something.

Nope. There's a rule in the Magic Item section for binding magic items to your Chakras...that's where I grabbed it from. It's a minor rule, and probably easily overlooked, but you can bind them easily.

I'll add some clarification though.

Latronis
2010-02-11, 06:28 AM
woah Djinn you got fat

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-11, 08:38 AM
woah Djinn you got fat

To explain the context, in case I ever revert the change: I often fool around with new drawing styles, and this new avatar (which I think has a lot of character) is decidedly more bulky than my standard one.

Latronis
2010-02-11, 08:48 AM
Shouldn't you be Djinn out of Tonic now? :smallbiggrin:

On topic I don't really use Incarnum so i can't help much though it is interesting

Eldan
2010-02-11, 09:02 AM
If, perhaps, the antimagic field immunity is too strong, consider limiting it to items which only affect yourself, i.e. buff items, but not items which also affect others, such as those which cast offensive spells on others and so on?
Alternatively, restrict it to the items you have bound with Azure Phantoms.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-11, 09:10 AM
Nope. There's a rule in the Magic Item section for binding magic items to your Chakras...that's where I grabbed it from. It's a minor rule, and probably easily overlooked, but you can bind them easily.

I'll add some clarification though.
Aha. It even specifically says "you can also bind the magic item to that chakra" in the Split Chakra feat text. Which I read when correcting you. And missed. I feel dumb. Heh.

But yeah, I think getting into the class earlier, extending it, and padding it with Split Chakra feats would be a good play.

Fizban
2010-02-12, 12:04 AM
This, and the Madspark Eccentric, are what tinkerers should be: awesome.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-12, 12:57 AM
An update: On DragoonWraith's advice, this is becoming a 10 level PrC. I need to revise the OP with the new ability spread, as well as the two new class features that will be added. Keep your eyes peeled!

Taffeta
2010-02-12, 07:10 AM
Fantastic concept overall. I'm weak for anything warforged, admittedly, but this comes together beautifully and unexpectedly.

My only suggestion would be to perhaps add a little weight to the artificer side of this prestige, since the features feel more aligned to the meldshaper half. And this may simply be my reading of it, having yet to actually play either class archetype.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-12, 09:11 AM
Fantastic concept overall. I'm weak for anything warforged, admittedly, but this comes together beautifully and unexpectedly.

My only suggestion would be to perhaps add a little weight to the artificer side of this prestige, since the features feel more aligned to the meldshaper half. And this may simply be my reading of it, having yet to actually play either class archetype.

It actually leans a bit more towards the Artificer side. You do use a lot of Essentia, true...but only to power your items. Additionally, when bound to one of your Chakras, you're basically doubling the power of every item you possess: not something to be overlooked. So it's Artificer-focused, working off an Incarnum angle.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-12, 09:18 AM
OK, so now you can enter at 8 instead of 10, at least if you're an Incarnate (which I assume was the intent anyway). Still a rather late start; being Artificer 5/Incarnate 2 is a bit messy. *shrug* Much better, though. And the extended length is excellent.

As for the level 3 ???, you could move the Hands/Feet bind to that level; that puts it one level after an Incarnate (Incarnate 4 vs. Incarnate 2/Soul Tinker 3), rather than one early (though early may be very much desirable considering the Artificer 5). What is Supreme Azure Phantoms Under Iron Skin going to do?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-12, 10:08 AM
OK, so now you can enter at 8 instead of 10, at least if you're an Incarnate (which I assume was the intent anyway). Still a rather late start; being Artificer 5/Incarnate 2 is a bit messy. *shrug* Much better, though. And the extended length is excellent.

Class updated, fixed, and posted.

10 level in length, it now really empowers items to make up for the somewhat painful entrance. You gain a bunch of intelligent, spiritually-empowered items, and, while you have essentia invested in them, can use their abilities rapidly and to great effect.

Human Paragon 3
2010-02-12, 10:21 AM
Something about it makes me nervous. Probably my lack of understanding of both the artificer and incarnum classes (only a theoretical understanding of both). The rapid item blitz thing seems like it could get preposterously out of hand. How many items could you theoretically activate in a round this way?

Secondly, what's the use of having intelligent items? What benefit do they get? Do they get their own set of actions?

Also, the azure phantoms ability doubles the amount of magic items you can wear, essentially. I don't know how that would effect balance. Have you considered the gameplay effect? It might help me to see an example of play worked out.

I could also use your eyes on my crafting-type class The Jury Rigger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141294). You seem to have something of a handle on crafting.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-12, 10:29 AM
Something about it makes me nervous. Probably my lack of understanding of both the artificer and incarnum classes (only a theoretical understanding of both). The rapid item blitz thing seems like it could get preposterously out of hand. How many items could you theoretically activate in a round this way?

A lot, probably...but you're going to burn through daily uses like MAD. That said, a cap on the ability would be a good idea...perhaps I should make them invest Essentia into the ability, and limit it to 1-2 times per round.

Secondly, what's the use of having intelligent items? What benefit do they get? Do they get their own set of actions?

Intelligent Items grant you static, at-will, or daily powers...check the DMG section on intelligent items. The +X to save DCs doesn't hurt either. :smallbiggrin:

Also, the azure phantoms ability doubles the amount of magic items you can wear, essentially. I don't know how that would effect balance. Have you considered the gameplay effect? It might help me to see an example of play worked out.

Yes, I have considered it. It makes you quite strong, but not in the traditional Artificer sense, which is the realm of rods, scrolls, staves, and wands. Here you're an offensive or defensive machine rather than a primary spellcaster of sorts...it's an interesting twist, in my mind.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-12, 10:30 AM
Yeah, the free item activation thing is worrying. I mean, there are tons of items where this is necessary (those teleporting shoes are a stand-out example), but I feel as if there must be a lot of items this gets ridiculous on.

Artificers can already do some pretty crazy things with Wands. Have one with Quick Draw and they can now use as many wands as they like a single time each, in each round. That gets insane. Forgot the restriction that it be one of your Soul in the Machine items and bound to a Chakra. That does limit things quite a bit.

Still, very unsure about it. It's a really cool feature, but I just am imagining some ridiculous nova'ing, or worse items that are not daily or charge limited, constant nova'ing. How many possible items could you have bound and souled this way?

Also, can't intelligent items activate themselves as it is?

And hmm, Azure Phantoms. You craft items at 50% cost, for 225% effectiveness. But it costs you a Chakra bind. Hmm. I think that one just needs to be tested to see how silly it can get.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-12, 10:32 AM
Artificers can already do some pretty crazy things with Wands. Have one with Quick Draw and they can now use as many wands as they like a single time each, in each round. That gets insane.

Nope. You can't use it with wands, as you can't bind wands, swords, or the like...only worn items.

I'd have a restriction on the number of items you can do this with. Probably a 1/round restriction, honestly. Though I can definitely imagine situations where it would not be unreasonable to have more, there are definitely also situations where it would very easily be ridiculous to have even two.

1/round, up to 2/round at 10th, at the moment.

And hmm. You craft items at 50% cost, for 225% effectiveness. But it costs you a Chakra bind. Hmm. I think that one just needs to be tested to see how silly it can get.

Agreed.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-12, 10:34 AM
Nope. You can't use it with wands, as you can't bind wands, swords, or the like...only worn items.
Held items are bound to the arms or hands Chakra.

1/round, up to 2/round at 10th, at the moment.
Oh, missed that.

Wow, I missed a ton of things in the description. Sorry about that!

Man, now I want to do a campaign of dual-progression Artificers. That would be awesome. You could have a Soul Tinker, a Madspark Eccentric, a Sortilegic Craftsman, uhm... is there any Martial Adept dual-progression PrC? There should be. Hmm.

Edge
2010-02-12, 11:41 AM
Man, now I want to do a campaign of dual-progression Artificers. That would be awesome. You could have a Soul Tinker, a Madspark Eccentric, a Sortilegic Craftsman, uhm... is there any Martial Adept dual-progression PrC? There should be. Hmm.

Krimm strikes again. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79949)

On-topic: This looks excellent, Djinn, but I'm away from my copy of Magic of Incarnum at the moment, and I still haven't learnt that system properly, but I get the basics of it.

And hmm, Azure Phantoms. You craft items at 50% cost, for 225% effectiveness. But it costs you a Chakra bind. Hmm. I think that one just needs to be tested to see how silly it can get.

Must echo concerns about this.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-02-12, 11:49 AM
Wow, I missed a ton of things in the description. Sorry about that!

Actually, I took your concerns to heart and did a rapid edit of the whole thing. You're not going mad...you're helping to keep me sane. :smalltongue:

That would be EPIC. Speaking of which...anything that still needs to be done? I've had ideas for a Bard/Artificer, and a Necromancer/Artificer would be pretty easy...a Cleric/Artificer would be fun (if only to name an ability "God in the Machine)...basically, I love the Artificer. :smallbiggrin:

Must echo concerns about this.

It might be true. Of course, the old one had up to 200% effectiveness, and didn't get complaints...

Bear in mind though that you don't get a craft reserve, so all that crafting will hurt. I do think it will need a few playtests though...it might be just to strong...especially if you CAN bind wands and staves, which I thought you couldn't.

DragoonWraith
2010-02-12, 12:19 PM
You'd only be able to bind one, though, cuz you only have the one chakra that they can bind to.

By the way, I decided to do a recruitment thread for that Artificers game (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141738).

Xzoltar
2010-02-13, 10:33 PM
Wow Awesome work, now I need to fit in a Organisation of multiclass-artificer in our campaign and playtest all of this....