PDA

View Full Version : Edge's Effluence of Extravagant and Effulgent Random Banter #138

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Jibar
2010-03-01, 07:43 AM
Could be worse. Could have no internet and have to walk to uni to get it from the library.

And I'm tellin' ya', West Bridgford is the way to go.

You'll probably end up in The Meadows or something if you're left to choose yourself.

Actually I'm going to be walking down to Uni and using the library this keeps up.

I found a place opposite the Uni though, so no Meadows for me.
Trust me. I'd rather stay here with these people than live in the Meadows.

Phaedra
2010-03-01, 07:54 AM
I've always found it amusing that all the rough areas of Notts sound so innocuous. The Meadows sounds like a pleasant place to go for a stroll. St Anns sounds like a Catholic girls' school.

These names are lies.

Player_Zero
2010-03-01, 08:11 AM
They probably changed the names to lure in people to mug.

You know, there's a Xylophone Man group on Facebook.

Dr. Bath
2010-03-01, 12:03 PM
Oooh BANANA... I mean Gorillaz (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124114812).

Pretty interesting album from what I've heard so far. With a frankly ridiculous list of collaborative artists. It crazy.

@Coidzor: It's better than being told you would be a terrible parent. Not that I'm preoccupied about it or anything. Nope. Never.

Thufir
2010-03-01, 12:07 PM
*steals Thufir's underpants so he can really behold him* :smallwink:

Oi. You should be more wary, after all my fist is ever ready for a knock-down blow...

CurlyKitGirl
2010-03-01, 12:15 PM
Oi. You should be more wary, after all my fist is ever ready for a knock-down blow...

. . .

:smalleek:

. . .

:eek:

Can't . . . resist . . . innnuendo . . .

*flees before she says something bad*

AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!

P.S. COngratulations on your sell-out (nearly) performance. I wish I could have been there so much.
May you always rock the stage of G&S.

Jibar
2010-03-01, 12:16 PM
Oooh BANANA... I mean Gorillaz (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=124114812).

Was that meant to be the Donkey Kong 64 Golden Banana noise?

I'll have to grab the album soon. Gorillaz are probably one of my favourite bands ever.

Thufir
2010-03-01, 12:21 PM
Can't . . . resist . . . innnuendo . . .

*flees before she says something bad*

AAAAAAAAHHHHH!!

Hey, at least I avoided saying "Watch it." which would've been a bit of an obvious one given the comment I was responding to...

P.S. Congratulations on your sell-out (nearly) performance. I wish I could have been there so much.
May you always rock the stage of G&S.

I am now much disappointed by your absence (At the time, I was much too enthused to be disappointed about anything really).
Thank you.

Dr. Bath
2010-03-01, 01:35 PM
Was that meant to be the Donkey Kong 64 Golden Banana noise?

I'll have to grab the album soon. Gorillaz are probably one of my favourite bands ever.

Give it a listen now! Through that link. For a limited time only!

And yes.

I loved that game.

Coidzor
2010-03-01, 01:39 PM
Give it a listen now! Through that link. For a limited time only!

And yes.

I loved that game.

Ooooo... BanaNAH!! :smallbiggrin: heh. I was doing a trade-off playthrough with my bromates this time last year of that game.

cycoris
2010-03-01, 03:08 PM
Okay, so am I the only one who saw this (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=36696959) and thought 'vintage Cthulhu fork'?

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-01, 03:12 PM
Okay, so am I the only one who saw this (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=36696959) and thought 'vintage Cthulhu fork'?

No, you are officially not the only one who thought that now.

ION: I want a pet duck.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-03-01, 03:17 PM

No, but I thought "vintage Hydra fork" first. HAIL HYDRA!

cycoris
2010-03-01, 03:21 PM
No, you are officially not the only one who thought that now.

ION: I want a pet duck.

Good, so I'm not -that- crazy?

And I want a skunk, a swift fox, and a million cats. I'm a crazy cat lady in training. :smallbiggrin:

Quincunx
2010-03-01, 04:32 PM
On ducks: My parents have mentioned keeping a pair of pet ducks, before I was born. The only things I remember were the story of a wading pool with a plank for an in/out ramp and that the ducks would nibble all of the fresh green buds from any vegetation they could reach, resulting in well-shaped and thriving azaleas.

On the trip: In Sweden now, re-learning the difference between weather cold enough to freeze your nose hairs and weather merely cold enough to make the snow squeak underfoot, and re-learning to ground all synthetic-fiber clothing on a door handle lest I zap myself with static electricity. Finally made it to the one-cake-for-every-year birthday party and ate as many types of cake as times I left the country just before the party. Otherwise gorging ourselves on common Swedish foods which are delicacies in their own right. Visits here, there, and everywhere as this seems to be the travel season for everyone and people need to mingle before their departures. Once again saw my young nephew, who seemed unfazed that I don't understand a word he's babbling, and simply slapped a puck into my hand so that I could drop it for the face-off between him and my husband. Due to lost baggage along the way, decided to try Dragonrider's advice for curly hair, but cut that short after a week because my hair was a) not curling and b) so fusty I could feel the cloud rising off of my head after I pulled off my snow hat.

Off to wash some laundry in the sink. So nifty to have a nearly-complete apartment to rent from the local building authority for a short-term visit. Very home-like, sensible, and. . .well. . .Swedish. I miss this place. . .

Pyrian
2010-03-01, 04:36 PM
this seems to be the travel season for everyone...If I lived in Sweden I'd want to get out during the winter, too. :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2010-03-01, 04:47 PM
If I lived in Sweden I'd want to get out during the winter, too. :smalltongue:

I've been wanting to go back to Sweden for the past few months.
Proper winter. Lots of snow and plenty cold. That's something I really miss from living in Sweden.
Over here, there are no 'real' winters. At least not in this part of the country.
It's rubbosh when you get a bot of snow, and it only stays on the ground for about a day and a half before it melts off and totally disappears again.

Quincunx
2010-03-01, 04:52 PM
Items draped and dripping in the shower area. Wringing works the forearm muscles.

If I lived in Sweden I'd want to get out during the winter, too. :smalltongue:

Yeah. . .during the deepest stretches of winter. These are clement, almost spring-like negative temperatures now! Daylight is lasting longer than the school day! This is wistful winter weather--we missed the "so cold your nose closes altogether" cold front of last month.

Rutskarn
2010-03-01, 05:11 PM

Pretty interesting album from what I've heard so far. With a frankly ridiculous list of collaborative artists. It crazy.

@Coidzor: It's better than being told you would be a terrible parent. Not that I'm preoccupied about it or anything. Nope. Never.

Oh-ho, something new from the Gorillaz.

@Zero: The flaming hell is Xylophone Man? I'm not about to Google it, I've only got a limited amount of Googles left on my account.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-01, 06:03 PM
Oh-ho, something new from the Gorillaz.

@Zero: The flaming hell is Xylophone Man? I'm not about to Google it, I've only got a limited amount of Googles left on my account.

Xylophone man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Robinson_(Xylophone_Man)) <-- Google top answer

You're limited in you're amount of Googles? Whyso?

ION: My dad's boiler is layered in asbestos which my younger brother's friend ate a bit of on a dare. How screwed is he?

KuReshtin
2010-03-01, 06:09 PM
ION: My dad's boiler is layered in asbestos which my younger brother's friend ate a bit of on a dare. How screwed is he?

As a pure coincidence, they were just talking about asbestos on QI.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-01, 06:13 PM
As a pure coincidence, they were just talking about asbestos on QI.

I know, that's what made me re-think of it. I got told this evening and promptly forgot because my brother's friends are all moronic yobs who could do with a life threatening experience (not die obviously, just enough to make them stop being a load of tits).

Starfols
2010-03-01, 07:11 PM
My wireless mouse is almost out of batteries, the buttons don't work half the time, but I want to keep using the battery till it's entirely gone. :smallsigh:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-03-01, 09:20 PM
My wireless mouse is almost out of batteries, the buttons don't work half the time, but I want to keep using the battery till it's entirely gone. :smallsigh:

I hate non-rechargeable batteriesfor this very reason. >.>

Starfols
2010-03-01, 09:48 PM
I hate non-rechargeable batteriesfor this very reason. >.>

I would love rechargeable batteries, believe me. Unfortunately, the number of things I use batteries for (1) and the frequency I would lose rechargeable ones (frequent), makes it cheaper to get the one-use ones :smallfrown::smallsigh:

Oh, also I can't highlight anything or drag scrollbars with the mouse anymore either.

Also, sometimes it randomly double clicks when I click once, making drop down menus and tabs a pain :smallannoyed:

Inhuman Bot
2010-03-02, 02:57 AM
Sigh.

Every once and a while, does anyone else get a feeling that you can't quite place a name on?

Right now, I have that, and it's keeping me up. I'm trying to get a name for it. :smallannoyed:

Coidzor
2010-03-02, 03:17 AM
You thinking about the future? Thinking about things, get distracted by something and then end up thinking about thinking?

lord of kobolds
2010-03-02, 08:41 PM
I''m trying to study for exams tomorrow, and my roommate is playing "sexy back". Someone shoot me. There's no way that this is innocent. Such evil does not spring up unintentionally.

Drakevarg
2010-03-02, 08:42 PM
Audiobattle him.

Perenelle
2010-03-02, 09:12 PM
so my school's band room had to be repaired becuase the ceiling fell in due to the fact that there were leaks in the roof and the school neglected it for so long. Along with repairing the ceiling, they ripped up all the moldy carpet (seriously, it was moldy. not an exaggeration) and found that the floor underneath it was all asbestos tile. :smallannoyed: they had it sealed off for a couple weeks with plastic over all the doors and windows while they ripped it up and put down new tile. Finally they repaired everything we're back to practicing in the now safe band room. While I'm glad they repaired a lot of the problems there are still leaks in the ceiling and they only replaced the part of the ceiling that fell down and didnt bother with the rest. I think its rather sad though that the school spent a lot of money re-doing the entire gym and locker rooms that weren't in such bad condition and yet the band room has gone neglected for years. :smallsigh:

I wish I had more time to post here, but my schedule is going crazy and I think I'm about to explode from running around from place to place and keeping my grades up. :smalltongue:

On the bright side though, I'm going to be getting a guitar hopefully this weekend. :smallbiggrin: I'm excited; I play flute, saxophone and piano already, but I've wanted to learn guitar for a while now. I dont have time for lessons right now, so i'll be taking lessons over the summer when I have more time. I figured I'd get the guitar early so I can just figure out a couple cords and such before my lessons start. :smallsmile:
I've heard from a lot of people that acoustic guitar really tears up your fingers until you build up calluses. are there any guitar players here that know if it is really as bad as people say?

and to make the day even better, its snowing and I have hot chocolate. :smallbiggrin:

Sneak
2010-03-02, 09:18 PM
Yeah, I will never understand school logic, especially with regard to upgrades and renovation. My school replaced all the computers in the Mac lab (for visual arts, mostly) this year, which were at most three years old and worked perfectly fine, and yet left the stone age peecees throughout the rest of the school, including several broken ones.

As for the guitar thing, it's not really that bad. The tips of your fingers might hurt after extended playing until you build up the calluses, and if you stop playing for a month and then start again, they might hurt for a bit, but it's not any sort of traumatic experience that'll give you war flashbacks or anything like that.

Perenelle
2010-03-02, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I will never understand school logic, especially with regard to upgrades and renovation. My school replaced all the computers in the Mac lab (for visual arts, mostly) this year, which were at most three years old and worked perfectly fine, and yet left the stone age peecees throughout the rest of the school, including several broken ones.

As for the guitar thing, it's not really that bad. The tips of your fingers might hurt after extended playing until you build up the calluses, and if you stop playing for a month and then start again, they might hurt for a bit, but it's not any sort of traumatic experience that'll give you war flashbacks or anything like that.

My old middle school also just took bought a bunch of new laptops and ignored the fact that the older computers in the classrooms and art rooms needed to be replaced or fixed. :smallannoyed:

heh, thats good. I was hearing stories about people's fingers bleeding and blistering and such.
Glad to hear I wont have any war flashbacks. :smalltongue:

Sneak
2010-03-02, 09:33 PM
Re: schools. :smallsigh:

As for blistering, you might get little blisters, but nothing to write home about. And I certainly never bled. :smalleek:

Thufir
2010-03-02, 09:34 PM
My housemates finally did some food shopping! The fridge is so full!

Zocelot
2010-03-02, 10:38 PM
My housemates finally did some food shopping! The fridge is so full!

It is my experience that even with a full fridge, there are still only going to be a couple of things that everyone wants to eat while everything else wastes away.

Phase
2010-03-02, 11:22 PM

Know what I always gasp at if I see them in use?

CRT monitors. I mean, come on, what is this, the nineties?

Thufir
2010-03-02, 11:26 PM
It is my experience that even with a full fridge, there are still only going to be a couple of things that everyone wants to eat while everything else wastes away.

Nah, it's my standard practice to live off all the stuff my housemates buy and then ignore. I really hate to see food go to waste.

Drakevarg
2010-03-02, 11:50 PM
Mostly to observe people's reactions, I am proud to declare that I am currently working on the script for Awesome: The Movie. An epic tale of ninjas vs. pirates IN THE FUTURE. Mecha will be involved, explosions will happen, tropes will be envoked.

Rutskarn
2010-03-03, 01:08 AM
I was just going through my traffic stats, and it sort of sunk in how many people read the thing. I'd just sort of conceived of it as an abstract number; I hadn't really grasped that this corresponded directly to an actual physical readership out there.

I mean, it's not Kotaku levels, but then again, it's not Kotaku. It's a site with some LPs and a fiction series. I swear this isn't just me bragging, because it's really not a huge number objectively, but it's still strange to me.

I guess numbers don't mean much to me in an internet context. It takes me a while to get that a quantity expressed on a webpage corresponds to something not on a webpage. Plus, there's the fact that writing for a website kind of feels like giving a speech to dark room--you don't see the people listening, and sometimes forget that they're there.

Player_Zero
2010-03-03, 07:12 AM

Xylophone man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Robinson_(Xylophone_Man)) <-- Google top answer

I hope someone makes a wikipedia page about me after my death.

I was just going through my traffic stats, and it sort of sunk in how many people read the thing. I'd just sort of conceived of it as an abstract number; I hadn't really grasped that this corresponded directly to an actual physical readership out there.

Am I the only one who thought he was talking about how he records statistical information regarding automotive vehicles there for a minute?

Spending all day reading Cromartie High School manga. Ahhh. Another day youthfully wasted. Eat THAT old people! Ahahaha!

Further ah ha-ing! Three virtually unrelated statements within the same post makes for a discontinuous prose! You are all subject to my confusion-ray! And by ray I mean post.

Coplantor
2010-03-03, 07:22 AM
I hope someone makes a wikipedia page about me after my death.

Am I the only one who thought he was talking about how he records statistical information regarding automotive vehicles there for a minute?

Spending all day reading Cromartie High School manga. Ahhh. Another day youthfully wasted. Eat THAT old people! Ahahaha!

Oh, you will be remembered, I dont know if ti will be a Wikipedia article, or the scars in the mind of those that had been defeated by the power of your madening calculations and/or posts, or a wikipedia article about that.

And yes, I also thought he was talking about a vehicle in the begining, wich is weird considering I know nothing about cars and something about the internet.

EDIT: And after your edit you can see why you will be remembered.

Player_Zero
2010-03-03, 07:50 AM
And after your edit you can see why you will be remembered.

Awww.

Now I only regret the confusion ray is lethal...

You have my condolences.

Coplantor
2010-03-03, 08:02 AM
Awww.

Now I only regret the confusion ray is lethal...

You have my condolences.

Dont worry, I always find a way to return, like Family Guy.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-03, 08:16 AM
...Spending all day reading Cromartie High School manga. Ahhh. Another day youthfully wasted. Eat THAT old people! Ahahaha!...

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time

V'icternus
2010-03-03, 08:29 AM
Wise words.

Especially as they come with a man with initials instead of a name.

Coplantor
2010-03-03, 08:35 AM
Wise men have no name, only initials.

Like HP lovecraft, CS Lewis, JRR Tolien, J Lo.

Dragonrider
2010-03-03, 09:10 AM
Didn't T.S. Eliot spell his name with no capitals? Or is that some other poet who used initials?

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-03, 09:30 AM
Didn't T.S. Eliot spell his name with no capitals? Or is that some other poet who used initials?

Not according to my pocket watch but it could be mistaken.

Dragonrider
2010-03-03, 09:37 AM
Not according to my pocket watch but it could be mistaken.

Wikipedia agrees with you. It also says that he was simultaneously married to two women, because he never officially divorced his first wife . . . .

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-03, 09:44 AM
Wikipedia agrees with you. It also says that he was simultaneously married to two women, because he never officially divorced his first wife . . . .

That's because Wikipedia and me are best buds :smalltongue:

Dr. Bath
2010-03-03, 09:48 AM

Remember it could just be Phase, checking over and again; weeping for new updates. That's a possibility.

'I DIDN'T LIKE FOOTBALL FIRST!' - Sonny Craven. A quote to live by.

Dragonrider
2010-03-03, 10:02 AM
Remember it could just be Phase, checking over and again; weeping for new updates. That's a possibility.

Whenever I do this with blogs (or webcomics, when I forget the update pattern), I start to feel a visceral hatred of the post that I've seen too many times on the front page. "JUST GET IT OFF THERE ALREADY!" :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2010-03-03, 10:20 AM
See? I told them. But they didn't listen? Of bleeping course not!
I told them that even if Management and Adecco (the recruitment company I work for) thinks that the people working here are idiots, they really aren't, and they know how to add two and two to get five.

"Well, we can't tell anyone about your business trip yet, but if we put you down in the work rota as going on holiday for a week, then no one will notice and also won't apply for holidays during that week. If anyone aks about it, you can't tell them anything."

So, what happens? My colleague checks the work rota to figure something out with his work shift, sees that I've apparently got a week's holiday planned and of course asks me what I'm going to do for my holidays...
*facepalm*

Management are idiots.

Dogmantra
2010-03-03, 10:58 AM
'I DIDN'T LIKE FOOTBALL FIRST!' - Sonny Craven. A quote to live by.

I hope you're talking about what I think you're talking about.

Thufir
2010-03-03, 11:01 AM

e.e. cummings would be the one you're thinking of.

Neko Toast
2010-03-03, 11:14 AM
Talk about expert timing. The day that I get sick and want to relax all day is the day after I find out that my roommate's futon is no longer trustworthy.

Player_Zero
2010-03-03, 11:15 AM
I'm afraid that phrasing is far too gag-inviting.

I am suing you for psychological trauma incurred because of it.

Neko Toast
2010-03-03, 11:18 AM
I'm afraid that phrasing is far too gag-inviting.

I am suing you for psychological trauma incurred because of it.

You want psychological trauma? I could describe to you, in detail, all of the drama that encompasses my roommate that I've been putting up with for the past several weeks.

But I'm not going too, because I'm too exhausted to type that crap up. Consider yourself spared.

@V: Take a wild guess.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-03-03, 11:24 AM
Talk about expert timing. The day that I get sick and want to relax all day is the day after I find out that my roommate's futon is no longer trustworthy.

Not trustworthy as in not structurally sound, or not trustworthy as in...defiled? >.<

EDIT: Wait, I thought Kara was your roommate?

Player_Zero
2010-03-03, 11:26 AM
Let's be fair here, I don't think anything you could say vis a vis your roommate would actually scar me.

At most you could make me dislike humanity a little more, but then that's an easily accomplished task.

And now for a sandwich and to go back to the house.

Dragonrider
2010-03-03, 11:27 AM
e.e. cummings would be the one you're thinking of.

Thank you. Yes. :smalltongue:

Neko Toast
2010-03-03, 11:29 AM
Kara and I did room together last semester. She moved into an apartment for spring, though. I managed to find someone else I knew who was looking for someone to room with. I thought, "Rooming with someone I know will be better than rooming with a complete stranger!"

Boy, was I wrong.

Nameless
2010-03-03, 12:12 PM
Kara and I did room together last semester. She moved into an apartment for spring, though. I managed to find someone else I knew who was looking for someone to room with. I thought, "Rooming with someone I know will be better than rooming with a complete stranger!"

Boy, was I wrong.

*sits you on my lap and cuddles*

Tell uncle Nameless whats the matter. o3o

Coidzor
2010-03-03, 12:16 PM

Boy, was I wrong.

Sort of a mixed bag.

Rooming with someone whose roommate style is already known is generally preferable due to avoiding surprise. But if they have an undesirable roommate style, then the unknown has a better probability of working out than a known unpleasant outcome.

That said, you have my sympathies. You still having trouble sleeping due to shenanigans?

There's no such thing as a virgin futon unless everyone who has ever been within 50 feet of it is a virgin.

And even then, you don't know what it was like before it came into play in a particular place.

This is why covers were invented, though.

And if there's an odor, well, you mock your roommate for poor hygiene, poor hygiene of her partner(s), and STDs long after she's finally febreezed it to its demise.

On the bright side, at least she hasn't done it in your bed to your knowledge.

Surprised you haven't had to deal with this before and learned to not care as long as you didn't have to watch or personally deal with the mess. My best friend freshman year had to deal with both twice.

The really sad thing was that they'd left the bedroom door open, so he was pretending to be asleep and trying to ignore the situation when the morning janitor walked by and shouted out in surprise when he saw that they'd left the door open. Wide open. This started attracting an audience of others who didn't have killer hangovers.

Dr. Bath
2010-03-03, 12:19 PM
I hope you're talking about what I think you're talking about.

'I figure a vampire man's just a kind of leathery monkey'- Ryan Beckworth.

I wish I had a friend bat.

Neko Toast
2010-03-03, 12:37 PM
Surprised you haven't had to deal with this before and learned to not care as long as you didn't have to watch or personally deal with the mess. My best friend freshman year had to deal with both twice.

You're talking to a person who has never held hands with a guy before. Even if the situation has come up before (it hasn't, according to my memory, but my memory has been fuzzy as of late), I try to ignore/remain ignorant of it as much as possible.

Nameless: Maybe I'll spill the whole mess some other day. But not today. Today it will likely require much effort just to walk to class.

Coidzor
2010-03-03, 01:06 PM
You're talking to a person who has never held hands with a guy before. Even if the situation has come up before (it hasn't, according to my memory, but my memory has been fuzzy as of late), I try to ignore/remain ignorant of it as much as possible.

What you don't know can and will stab you in the face, after all.

Surprised you never made it to holding hands with those guys though.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-03-03, 01:17 PM
Curly's day has been chock-a-block full. For once. Full of downs and ups.

First, an early tute meant an early awakening. Downside. Having to use Google maps to find the place was misleading (downside for reasons to be revealed momentarily), so I left absurdly early as I wanted to pop into a new shop.
Went past the Ashmolean - incredibly pretentious facade. Incredibly.
Made it to my tutor's street, walked all the way up it looking for number 2. Google Maps said it was on the right hand side of the road, so I didn't look on the left for a fair bit.
I swear to Gutenburg and Caxton that this street was twice as long as my village, and naturally, it wasn't until I made it to the end of the street that I realised left-hand numbers went up from 1 and right-hand numbers went down from 300 000 678.4 so I had to run all the way back down the street and arrived ten minutes late. DOWNSIDE.
Whereupon my essay was thoroughly bashed even though he knew that I'd been feverish and not exactly sane when I wrote it. DOWNSIDE!
I took some (expensive) texts out of the library and then lost then for two hours. There were heart palpitations and medium-grade panic. DOWNSIDE!!

Upsides to my day:
I got in a good couple of hours of reading and scribbling over my own Beowulf. Went to a session which only made me want to take CII even more than I already did. In my class I actually rocked my own socks when I realised I could understand the majority of an actual text set for an exam question.
Got a letter from Best Friend. UPSIDE.
Best of all. A new shop opened up today (I swear it's a little shop that wasn't there yesterday. It was there yesterday evening, but I don't remember anything else being there. :smallconfused:)
It was an Olde Sweet Shoppe. With everything that implies. WOoden shelving crammed to the brim with proper old-fashioned sweets, new sweets, fudges, chocolates, real sugar mice, gobstoppers, jawbreakers, sour things, those really really big lollipops. SO MUCH STUFF. UPSIDE AND DOWNSIDE! Upside because it's a proper old-fashioned sweet shop with practically every nostalgic sweet I can imagine, downside because it's a proper old-fashioned sweet shop with practically every nostalgic sweet I can imagine.
It's been immensely popular all day. I've walked past it three or four times today and every time there's been at least half a dozen people in there going "Wow, I remember those!", "I don't know what to get!", "Those lollipops are enormous.", "This is amazing.", "I need more money" and so on and so forth.
It is now my new favourite shop in Oxford.
Oh yeah, and tomorrow the Bodleian is having a special Tolkien exhibit where they're displaying his original artwork and manuscripts. Guess where I'm going tomorrow.

EDIT:
@^: I never have either.
ALso, I need food. All I've eaten today is a quarter of raspberry bonbons and a fifth of a bar of fudge coconut ice, both courtesy of said Heavenly Hell.

Inhuman Bot
2010-03-03, 01:21 PM
So.

Was late for school.

Ran out the door.

Slipped and hit the pavement.

Recived head injury.

Ended up missing an entire day of school. :smallsigh:

Dragonrider
2010-03-03, 01:24 PM
EDIT:
@^: I never have either.

Yeah, me neither. We're all just too cool, I guess. :smallamused:

EDIT: TOLKIEN EXHIBIT?!?! Jealous!

Thufir
2010-03-03, 01:24 PM
@Curly, Coid, Slayer, DeeRee: I've held hands with a girl on stage...

So, my day today goes/has gone as follows:

Sleep
More sleep
Breakfast
Internet
Doctor Who
Dinner
Ruddigore

Today is a good day.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-03-03, 01:26 PM
I've had a tickle-fight with a girl and then cuddled afterwards.:smallcool:

Koorly: SO JAELOUS!:smallfrown:

Dragonrider
2010-03-03, 01:26 PM

Well, I mean, I have in, like, cooperative games that they make you play at summer camps and that sort of thing. But not in any personal way. :smalltongue:

wadledo
2010-03-03, 01:32 PM
So, it seems like a fair number of peoples days stunk.
This is awesome.:smallsigh:

CurlyKitGirl
2010-03-03, 01:34 PM

Yep. :smalltongue:

EDIT: TOLKIEN EXHIBIT?!?! Jealous!

:smallcool:
And don't I know it?

*gasp* (ANd at DeeRee kind of) That's more than any interaction of a physical nature I've ever had with a boy.

So, my day today goes/has gone as follows:
<snip>
Ruddigore

Today is a good day.

Ruddigore is awesome. You will enjoy it. A lot. There's even a British tar in it, so you can empathise with him.

Koorly: SO JAELOUS!:smallfrown:

Nyah nyah. :smalltongue:

I'd actually say something about taking pictures, but it's not allowed so :smallshrug:.

And to think I was actually planning on doing work this evening.

Drakevarg
2010-03-03, 01:42 PM
Being sick sucks.

Waking up sick sucks even more.

Being sick, going to bed, waking up still sick AND having overslept by 5 hours is where I'm at now.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-03, 02:00 PM
So apparently Sainsbury's employees got bored one day, used the shrink ray on their apples and then forgot to make them bigger again. I could literally swallow them in one go if they weren't apples and therefore need to be chewed.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-03-03, 02:47 PM
Yep. :smalltongue:

:smallcool:
And don't I know it?

*gasp* (ANd at DeeRee kind of) That's more than any interaction of a physical nature I've ever had with a boy.

Ruddigore is awesome. You will enjoy it. A lot. There's even a British tar in it, so you can empathise with him.

Nyah nyah. :smalltongue:

I'd actually say something about taking pictures, but it's not allowed so :smallshrug:.

And to think I was actually planning on doing work this evening.
I guess I'l have to be happy with visiting Tolkien Winkel*(shop) rarely and whenever I see his stand on festivals.

*It is awesome.(And also sells some non-Tolkien/related books)
( &Peter Jackson went there to buy some/oads of stuffs for the movies.)

Dragonrider
2010-03-03, 02:49 PM

I'm the scandalous type. :smalltongue:

cycoris
2010-03-03, 02:54 PM

My gods, had I known it wasn't cool, I never would have held hands with a guy! :smalltongue:

There goes my reputation to ruins now, I guess... :smallfrown:

In other, highly unpleasant news, I'm now certain that I have whatever it was that littlest brother had. He was all 'I'm sniffly and sick, come give me cuddles!' I told him to get away from me (nicely...), but it didn't work. So now I have a stuffy head, sniffles, and a sore throat. And the weather is, of course, gorgeous. :smallannoyed:

Pyrian
2010-03-03, 04:41 PM
My gods, had I known it wasn't cool, I never would have held hands with a guy! :smalltongue:Ooo, la la! :smalltongue:

Phaedra
2010-03-03, 04:50 PM
Once again I'm not in the cool crowd. Story of my life right there.

I think I've caught a cold from The Boy. Bleh. I feel all headachey and woozy. Damn him and his pestilence.

Jibar
2010-03-03, 04:52 PM
Once again I'm not in the cool crowd. Story of my life right there.

Yeah, curse the fact we have had or are now in relationships. Curses and damnation.
Actually...
No, no. Everytime I think I should regret that girl I remember the endless comedy potential she gives.

Rutskarn
2010-03-03, 04:57 PM
I don't believe in relationships. I have a scientific beliefs system; I can't believe anything I haven't seen direct evidence of.

I also don't believe in flirtation, sexual reproduction, or a female who is not gripped by throes of horror and revulsion.

Pyrian
2010-03-03, 04:58 PM
Once again I'm not in the cool crowd.
I think I've caught a cold from The Boy.Well, that's what you get for holding hands. :smallcool:

Phaedra
2010-03-03, 05:03 PM
Well, that's what you get for holding hands. :smallcool:

I know, serves me right. That said, right now the pestilence in our household is a better form of birth control than anything. The Boy looks like walking death.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-03, 05:06 PM
I don't believe in relationships. I have a scientific beliefs system; I can't believe anything I haven't seen direct evidence of...

You've never directly seen anyone in a relationship?

Cobra_Ikari
2010-03-03, 05:07 PM
I know, serves me right. That said, right now the pestilence in our household is a better form of birth control than anything. The Boy looks like walking death.

...you're dating a zombie?

...that sounds kinda dangerous... >.>

Dogmantra
2010-03-03, 05:12 PM
I just came home from doing a school concert.

I did txt msg by Tripod and a sketch too. It was Damn Good Times.

Rutskarn
2010-03-03, 05:42 PM
You've never directly seen anyone in a relationship?

I don't believe everything I see in the media or real life, you sheep.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-03, 06:00 PM
I don't believe everything I see in the media or real life, you sheep.

Ah ok. Fair enough.

Baaa

Nano
2010-03-03, 06:26 PM
Every time I swallow there's this weird clicky, popping noise in my ear.

I don't understand what's happening to me

CurlyKitGirl
2010-03-03, 06:33 PM
:HEADDESK:
There's over a dozen sobre-to-tipsy-to-merrily-drunk uni stuents (most of them from my house) out in the garden singing loudly, raucously and surprisingly well. Sometimes.
They're singing Don't Stop Believing again and again and again. And my windows are shut.
They don't keep out a thing.
Stupid old and cracked windows.

And I've been trying to make notes on an essay for three hours. I'm halfway through it.
Because said singing party was right next door to my room from seven o'clock.

EDIT:
AH, curse them all with a pox! Now they've got a stereo outside!!

Fostire
2010-03-03, 06:38 PM
Every time I swallow there's this weird clicky, popping noise in my ear.

I don't understand what's happening to me

I've had that a couple of times and if I remember correctly that means that you might have a small ear infection.

Nano
2010-03-03, 06:40 PM
Well, I HAVE had a cold most of this week. Ack.

Dr. Bath
2010-03-03, 06:44 PM
:HEADDESK:
There's over a dozen sobre-to-tipsy-to-merrily-drunk uni stuents (most of them from my house) out in the garden singing loudly, raucously and surprisingly well. Sometimes.
They're singing Don't Stop Believing again and again and again. And my windows are shut.
They don't keep out a thing.
Stupid old and cracked windows.

And I've been trying to make notes on an essay for three hours. I'm halfway through it.
Because said singing party was right next door to my room from seven o'clock.

EDIT:
AH, curse them all with a pox! Now they've got a stereo outside!!

Welcome to my life. Except replace signing (surprisingly well sometimes) with banging on doors and demanding various intoxicants.

And you've definitely had contact equal to holding hands, from at least three separate non-related boys no less. You got hugs from Kaela, Handless and I. I might not count but the other two probably do.

I am now a spitter, my mucus is luminous and disolves flesh and stone.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-03-03, 07:12 PM
It is midnight, my right hand is as ice. I give up. No more note taking tonight. Besides, I can get in six or seven hours or so of it tomorrow.

Welcome to my life. Except replace signing (surprisingly well sometimes) with banging on doors and demanding various intoxicants.

Oy vey. Just wonderful dear isn't it?
Never had that happen, don't ever want it to. Have had drunken fools staggering around the house though, very annoying. Especially as one of them vomited all over the ground floor staircase thingy on SUnday which meant we had to walk around it to go request the cleaning tools.

And you've definitely had contact equal to holding hands, from at least three separate non-related boys no less. You got hugs from Kaela, Handless and I. I might not count but the other two probably do.

You count. You do.

Thufir
2010-03-03, 07:14 PM
Hugging doesn't imply any level of intimacy beyond friendship, so for this discussion, it really doesn't matter matter matter matter matter...

So, yeah. Despard and Mad Margaret are by far the best parts in Ruddigore. Though I identify with Ruthven/Robin, being thwarted by his diffident nature.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-03-03, 07:22 PM
Hugging doesn't imply any level of intimacy beyond friendship, so for this discussion, it really doesn't matter matter matter matter matter...

So, yeah. Despard and Mad Margaret are by far the best parts in Ruddigore. Though I identify with Ruthven/Robin, being thwarted by his diffident nature.

Ahem.

BASINGSTOKE!

Thufir
2010-03-03, 07:26 PM
Basingstoke it is. *Composes self*

Hmm. I've yet to try casting a hypothetical Ruddigore shipfic... I could make myself Mad Margaret...

CurlyKitGirl
2010-03-03, 07:28 PM
Basingstoke it is. *Composes self*

Hmm. I've yet to try casting a hypothetical Ruddigore shipfic... I could make myself Mad Margaret...

No!
Helgraf is clearly Mad Margaret. He's even got the Renfield thing going for him.
You'd make a good Despard though, you try so hard to be villainous, but in the end, well, you're just a softy who's in love with a madwoman.
Or you could be Robin's foster-brother whose name I've forgotten.

Thufir
2010-03-03, 07:47 PM
No!
Helgraf is clearly Mad Margaret. He's even got the Renfield thing going for him.
You'd make a good Despard though, you try so hard to be villainous, but in the end, well, you're just a softy who's in love with a madwoman.
Or you could be Robin's foster-brother whose name I've forgotten.

Actually, I remember now I was thinking of making Rabbit Mad Margaret, just because of the 'mad as any hatter' line. Though granted, Helgraf is our classic madman.
Despard I was thinking someone who fits the stereotypical villain appearance - possibly Coplantor, his avatar's got the moustache for it.
And why would I want to be Richard? He's much too confident and brash to be me. And a traitor to his foster-brother to boot.

Phase
2010-03-03, 08:35 PM
I want to be Richard.

My heart says to me, **** it says, (it can call me **** cause we was in school together,) you need to be Richard.

Also: Greatest video ever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qybUFnY7Y8w)

lord of kobolds
2010-03-03, 08:43 PM
Huzzah!
My roomate just moved out into another room! I has a single!

That means I can sleep at night, I won't come back to the room to find that the windows have been open for several hours, I can actually do my homework, and my room won't reek of cigarettes.

'Tis a joyful day for LoK!

(also, that rhymes)

cycoris
2010-03-03, 09:05 PM
I'm curled up in bed, about to begin a movie-fest. Yes, by myself. And some of the ones I've chosen are romantic comedies. I am documenting this, because when I was twelve or so, I swore I would never voluntarily watch a romantic comedy ever.

*crawls off in shame*

Cobra_Ikari
2010-03-03, 09:09 PM
I'm curled up in bed, about to begin a movie-fest. Yes, by myself. And some of the ones I've chosen are romantic comedies. I am documenting this, because when I was twelve or so, I swore I would never voluntarily watch a romantic comedy ever.

*crawls off in shame*

I think this calls for a movie list. =3

Mind, there are certain movies that could redeem the entire list, even if the rest were all bad romantic comedies.

...on an aside, I love some romantic comedies. Hooray for partners/sisters/cousins giving me an excuse to watch them more often. >.>

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-03, 09:18 PM
INVADER ZIM IS ON!!! :smallbiggrin:

Phase
2010-03-03, 09:32 PM
DAMN YOU TEXAS!!!!

They don't show that round here no more.

Coidzor
2010-03-03, 09:33 PM

*crawls off in shame*

As long as you grabbed Princess Bride... As, after all, if you're going to do Rom Com, that's the one to start with.

And considering you were twelve at the time, I don't think you can really be ashamed of anything that little kid could know about in order to forbid. :smalltongue:

In other, highly unpleasant news, I'm now certain that I have whatever it was that littlest brother had. He was all 'I'm sniffly and sick, come give me cuddles!' I told him to get away from me (nicely...), but it didn't work. So now I have a stuffy head, sniffles, and a sore throat. And the weather is, of course, gorgeous. :smallannoyed:

Well, that is why these boots were made for walking, and your legs were made for kicking. *nods sagely*

wadledo
2010-03-03, 09:34 PM
STOP HAVING FUN AND EXCITING LIVES!:smallyuk:

Coidzor
2010-03-03, 09:36 PM
STOP HAVING FUN AND EXCITING LIVES!:smallyuk:

Well, we will since now it's cool to be a person who's never touched the opposite sex. :smalltongue:

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-03, 09:37 PM
It's a one month only thing.

Anuan
2010-03-03, 09:48 PM
Just gonna come out and say I'm not as cool as you guys.
But I think I'm fine with that. I've enjoyed the cuddles I've had with the opposite sex. And kisses. And...other things.

Coidzor
2010-03-03, 10:00 PM
And I imagine living with Felixar has been pretty fun all in and of itself too.:smallwink:

Especially with all of those swordfights.

Anuan
2010-03-03, 10:01 PM
Not as many as you'd think :smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-03-03, 10:05 PM
Not as many as you'd think :smalltongue:

So less than 50, more than 10?

Anuan
2010-03-03, 10:51 PM
Less than ten :P Maybe four or five, total, and twice with Dis.

Jibar
2010-03-04, 04:29 AM
So me and Rutskarn were chatting last night, and the subject of Nerf weaponry came up and now I'm going to purchase myself one.

However, I can't decide which.

The Recon (http://nerf.kmetzdirect.com/resources/12727/assets/images/nerf_recon_cf6_parts.jpg) is a nice module piece, but only comes with six bullets.
This Maverick deal (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nerf-N-Strike-Maverick-Double-Darts/dp/B0035G0BT6/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1267693337&sr=8-36) has extra darts, and buying extra bullets with it still leaves it cheaper than the Recon.
Argos has a special offer of 2 for Ł15, (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3881192/Trail/searchtext%3ENERF.htm) which includes the Maverick so I could duel wield, but then buying extra bullets gives it a similar price to the Recon.

I quite like the 2 Maverick deal, but I'd have to reserve them first which my internet won't allow right now and I apparently can't reserve extra bullets.

Oh, apparently the extra bullets are only available online anyway. Free delivery too.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2010-03-04, 04:37 AM
So me and Rutskarn were chatting last night, and the subject of Nerf weaponry came up and now I'm going to purchase myself one.

The Recon (http://nerf.kmetzdirect.com/resources/12727/assets/images/nerf_recon_cf6_parts.jpg) is a nice module piece, but only comes with six bullets.
This Maverick deal (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nerf-N-Strike-Maverick-Double-Darts/dp/B0035G0BT6/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1267693337&sr=8-36) has extra darts, and buying extra bullets with it still leaves it cheaper than the Recon.
Argos has a special offer of 2 for Ł15, (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3881192/Trail/searchtext%3ENERF.htm) which includes the Maverick so I could duel wield, but then buying extra bullets gives it a similar price to the Recon.

Now I don't want to jump the gun Jibar, but I recoiled in horror when I saw that the first appears broken! Shoot, any would be better, so the second one seems the best, unless you can find cheaper in a magazine with nerf-buyers as there target audience?

Don't have any that I know of over in Aus, so my advice may be off the mark, but case in point, I'd arm myself with as much knowledge before barreling off to get one.

You'd be a 'riffle upset if you brought second best, and then you'd have to go on the drink and get loaded to forget :smallbiggrin:

-Your ever helpful Reaper!

((P.S those things look fairly awesome!))

Jibar
2010-03-04, 04:40 AM
Now I don't want to jump the gun Jibar, but I recoiled in horror when I saw that the first appears broken! Shoot, any would be better, so the second one seems the best, unless you can find cheaper in a magazine with nerf-buyers as there target audience?

Don't have any that I know of over in Aus, so my advice may be off the mark, but case in point, I'd arm myself with as much knowledge before barreling off to get one.

You'd be a 'riffle upset if you brought second best, and then you'd have to go on the drink and get loaded to forget :smallbiggrin:

-Your ever helpful Reaper!

((P.S those things look fairly awesome!))

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/davidispikachu/RageFace.png

*fist shaking*

Death, your friend the Reaper
2010-03-04, 04:42 AM
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll243/davidispikachu/RageFace.png

*fist shaking*

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vyAoR1jlf3M/S0hYrlg3rEI/AAAAAAAAAEU/4VDyKJfh93E/s320/Smiley+%3DD.png

Aren't you glad I'm online? :smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2010-03-04, 04:59 AM

I quite like the 2 Maverick deal, but I'd have to reserve them first which my internet won't allow right now and I apparently can't reserve extra bullets.

Oh, apparently the extra bullets are only available online anyway. Free delivery too.

Damn, now I want to get one (or three) of those as well.
Also, this (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0819356.htm) is just... AWESOME! I WANT! of course, the problem would be to find someone to shoot at.

Dogmantra
2010-03-04, 06:53 AM
I got the Zombie Survival Guide today and this afternoon my house at school is doing a Laser Quest thingy. I'm going to pretend I'm Gordon Freeman.

I feel so nerdy but so awesome right now.

Nameless
2010-03-04, 08:22 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vyAoR1jlf3M/S0hYrlg3rEI/AAAAAAAAAEU/4VDyKJfh93E/s320/Smiley+%3DD.png

Aren't you glad I'm online? :smallbiggrin:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:BDUF1qyQqEIEMM:http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs33/f/2008/305/1/1/HURR_by_MahAnimu.png

Dragonrider
2010-03-04, 09:21 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:BDUF1qyQqEIEMM:http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs33/f/2008/305/1/1/HURR_by_MahAnimu.png

That's disgusting.

when I was twelve or so, I swore I would never voluntarily watch a romantic comedy ever.

I distinctly remember you watching Lyrics and Music when you were thirteen. :smallamused: Also Spanglish. I don't know if you were there when my cuz and me watched 50 First Dates.

I think Harold and Maude also is supposedly a rom-com - its two main categories on IMDB are comedy and romance.

Anuan
2010-03-04, 09:34 AM
I distinctly remember you watching Lyrics and Music when you were thirteen. :smallamused: Also Spanglish. I don't know if you were there when my cuz and me watched 50 First Dates.

I think Harold and Maude also is supposedly a rom-com - its two main categories on IMDB are comedy and romance.

...I do believe you've been caught out, dear :smalltongue:

Trobby
2010-03-04, 10:12 AM
...Not to bring this discussion into depression thread territory, but it occurs to me that I can't actually name a single person who I consider a "friend" that I can actually talk to in person whenever I need support.

...that must make me the coolest person alive. ;w;?

Coplantor
2010-03-04, 10:16 AM
...Not to bring this discussion into depression thread territory, but it occurs to me that I can't actually name a single person who I consider a "friend" that I can actually talk to in person whenever I need support.

See, this things tend to happen to me also, the thing is, I ussually think about this when I'm already depressed so I think that I have weaker relationships with my friends that I actually have, besides, I almost never talk about stuff when I need support, most of the time I just keep to myself, and as far as I know, it happens to a lot of people, so maybe this happens to you too? Maybe you are just underestimating your relationships?

Anuan
2010-03-04, 10:16 AM
Awww, 'Trobby! D:
<hugs> I'll be your friend, if talking online when you need support counts. I can't teleport, unfortunately...

Starfols
2010-03-04, 10:44 AM

As long as we're posting heads..

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo238/ultimaweaponx/yukkuri-1.jpg

Awww! :smallfrown:

I know what you mean. Sometimes Starfols just needs a hug, but most of her friends will become incredibly awkward if I hug them.

Anuan
2010-03-04, 10:49 AM
Obviously, you need more huggable friends.

I volunteer :smallbiggrin: Hugs are made of awesome.

Coplantor
2010-03-04, 10:50 AM

I know what you mean. Sometimes Starfols just needs a hug, but most of her friends will become incredibly awkward if I hug them.

Gosh, no I feel like I need a hug. But yeah, most people feel awkward, I fdont think I can name someone I could hug.

KuReshtin
2010-03-04, 10:56 AM
Surprise hugs FTW!

Hug someone that isn't expecting it. The more it freaks them out, the more satisfying it is.

Coplantor
2010-03-04, 11:00 AM
Surprise hugs FTW!

Hug someone that isn't expecting it. The more it freaks them out, the more satisfying it is.

Oooh, trust me when I say that I've played this gam before in RL, and it's extremely funny. Specially if you call the other guy "pumpkin" in front of the whole class

Thufir
2010-03-04, 11:04 AM
Blah. Why does my mind go blank at such inconvenient moments? I was going to check something... what was it...?

Starfols
2010-03-04, 11:05 AM
Obviously, you need more huggable friends.

I volunteer :smallbiggrin: Hugs are made of awesome.

*hugs* :smallsmile: Thank you.

Somehow, I sense there is a certain Cobra approaching.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-03-04, 11:08 AM

. . .

...what is wrong with them! D= *snuggles senseless*

EDIT: Ninja'd. Somehow, you knew I was coming. *blinks*

KuReshtin
2010-03-04, 11:12 AM
Oooh, trust me when I say that I've played this gam before in RL, and it's extremely funny. Specially if you call the other guy "pumpkin" in front of the whole class

best reaction I ever got was when I surprise hugged one of my colleagues right in front of his girlfriend and then calmly told her "Just you watch it. I'm taking him from you! Muahahahah!!"

Coplantor
2010-03-04, 11:15 AM
best reaction I ever got was when I surprise hugged one of my colleagues right in front of his girlfriend and then calmly told her "Just you watch it. I'm taking him from you! Muahahahah!!"

:smallbiggrin: awesome! How come this has'nt made it to the olympic games?

Ah, but a man can dream

Phaedra
2010-03-04, 11:16 AM
Surprise hugs FTW!

See, I'd consider myself huggable, but surprise hugs always make me freeze. I just kind of stiffen up and look awkward, it's very English of me. I'm fine if I expect hugs, I just need some kind of warning. Some kind of countdown - 'hug approaching in 5, 4...' That kind of thing. Because that wouldn't be weird at all.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-03-04, 11:18 AM
See, I'd consider myself huggable, but surprise hugs always make me freeze. I just kind of stiffen up and look awkward, it's very English of me. I'm fine if I expect hugs, I just need some kind of warning. Some kind of countdown - 'hug approaching in 5, 4...' That kind of thing. Because that wouldn't be weird at all.

*installs hug radar in your brain* :smallwink:

Coplantor
2010-03-04, 11:18 AM
Ooh, I once was dragged through a whole corridor as an effect of a surprise lock-hug I gaved to a friend. I can be a loveable bastard.

Neko Toast
2010-03-04, 11:23 AM
There are 6 different birthday threads up on the first page now. =/ Somehow this seems a little excessive.

I'm predicting now that people are not going to agree with my opinion, but I don't like this whole "post a birthday thread for people" thing. Look at it this way: Imagine how cluttered Friendly Banter would be if every single user got one of those threads.

And to me, getting a "Happy Birthday" from one friend in real life is more meaningful than two pages worth of "Happy Birthdays" from people I've never met outside of the Internet.

Bleh. I'm in a weird mood today. Maybe all of the mucus from my head cold is going up to my brain or something.

Anuan
2010-03-04, 11:25 AM

I have a similar problem if taken by surprise. Sudden hugs by people I know would hug me, who I know are there, are fine.
I have an immediate and martially-inclined response to sudden shocks (especially from behind) though, but in recent years I've learned to take a half-second to identify before throwing the person over my hip and pummelling their faces...

Coplantor
2010-03-04, 11:27 AM
RL Happy Birthdays are more meaningful for me too, but if you think Friendly Banter is clutered think about the poor birthday guy's PM box if there where no threads.

Trobby
2010-03-04, 11:29 AM
...it really says something about the nature of this message board that our biggest concerns are too many surprise hugs and happy birthday threads.

...:smallbiggrin: This is the best message board ever!

Starfols
2010-03-04, 11:31 AM

. . .

...what is wrong with them! D= *snuggles senseless*
The snuggling....the snuggling!:smalleek: You make me feel a lot better. Thank you! :3

EDIT: Ninja'd. Somehow, you knew I was coming. *blinks*
Sorry, lucky guess. You're the universal authority, you know. :smallamused:

Coplantor
2010-03-04, 11:34 AM
Yes, yes it is. It was GitP that changed my idea about message boards (I used to dislike them, a lot). It's very friendly and the users are wonderful.
Of course, this is thanks to the mods, the rules, etc...

KuReshtin
2010-03-04, 11:34 AM
Hmmmm.. *starts plotting a surprise hug extravaganza for the Summe UKitP meetup*

Cobra_Ikari
2010-03-04, 12:03 PM
The snuggling....the snuggling!:smalleek: You make me feel a lot better. Thank you! :3

'shat I'm here for, hun. :smallwink:

Sorry, lucky guess. You're the universal authority, you know. :smallamused:

Sorry? =P

It's nice to have a reputation preceed you. Especially when that reputation is "huggle". :smallsmile:

Thufir
2010-03-04, 12:07 PM
Hmmmm.. *starts plotting a surprise hug extravaganza for the Summe UKitP meetup*

You seem to be missing one of the most crucial points about a surprise, i.e. that you shouldn't tell people in advance...

KuReshtin
2010-03-04, 12:39 PM
You seem to be missing one of the most crucial points about a surprise, i.e. that you shouldn't tell people in advance...

In spite of my size, I do know how to sneak up on people. Even if they see me coming. They just never expect it.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-04, 12:58 PM
In spite of my size, I do know how to sneak up on people. Even if they see me coming. They just never expect it.

You can sneak up on people even when they see you coming?

You're like King of the Ninjas or something. There are initiates who dream about skills like that.

KuReshtin
2010-03-04, 01:08 PM

You're like King of the Ninjas or something. There are initiates who dream about skills like that.

I'm like Zandar in that respect. Even if people see me, they don't notice me until it's too late. And by that time. Well, it's too late. :smallwink:

Zeb The Troll
2010-03-04, 01:22 PM
There are 6 different birthday threads up on the first page now. =/ Somehow this seems a little excessive.

I'm predicting now that people are not going to agree with my opinion, but I don't like this whole "post a birthday thread for people" thing. Look at it this way: Imagine how cluttered Friendly Banter would be if every single user got one of those threads.

And to me, getting a "Happy Birthday" from one friend in real life is more meaningful than two pages worth of "Happy Birthdays" from people I've never met outside of the Internet.

Bleh. I'm in a weird mood today. Maybe all of the mucus from my head cold is going up to my brain or something.See, there are LOTS of us who have indeed met many of the posters behind the well wishers and would like to meet the rest. The UK, Dutch, and Southeast Trogland meetups are large and recurring. There have also been many non-recurring meetups and non-meetup venues (i.e. GenCon) where Playgrounders have met and shook hands.

Besides, there are plenty of you here that I consider friends even though I've never darkened the same doorways. I'm hardly the only person who feels this way. On a lesser note, there are many many more here that, while I might not call them "friends", I would certainly consider friendly enough of an acquaintance to wish a happy birthday, even though we live across the country or across the ocean from each other. Here is as good a place to wish them well for a day as any other. :smallcool:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-03-04, 01:23 PM

Even I, with only 1 level in ninja can do that occasionaly.:smallwink:

And what Zeb said.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-03-04, 02:14 PM
See, there are LOTS of us who have indeed met many of the posters behind the well wishers and would like to meet the rest. The UK, Dutch, and Southeast Trogland meetups are large and recurring. There have also been many non-recurring meetups and non-meetup venues (i.e. GenCon) where Playgrounders have met and shook hands.

Besides, there are plenty of you here that I consider friends even though I've never darkened the same doorways. I'm hardly the only person who feels this way. On a lesser note, there are many many more here that, while I might not call them "friends", I would certainly consider friendly enough of an acquaintance to wish a happy birthday, even though we live across the country or across the ocean from each other. Here is as good a place to wish them well for a day as any other. :smallcool:

Ditto.
And now I'm in uni, I find myself doing birthday hugs either on the closest date to their birthday or over t'internet.

Two things:
One of my friends has a holiday cottage on Block Island near Cape Cod. Next year or the year after we may be able to use it.

And I went to the TolkienTolkein exhibit today. *snickers* :smallamused:
It was good, somehow I thought there'd be a lot less people there, after all it's only some drafts and original manuscripts and drawings of a fantasy series right?
I. Was. Wrong.
Hour long queues were the name of the day. I think it somehow slipped my mind that I was in Oxford in the Bodleian Library and the exhibit was about Tolkein. i.e. The most famous (and arguably influential) fantasy author ever. The author who in fact, lived and worked in Oxford for a very long time.
Was the wait worth it?
Totally. Worth. It.
Now I'll just take cover behind these sandbags . . .
*cowers*

And for most of yesterday and today I've been reading an essay by Tolkein. It's where my sig quotation comes from.

Thufir
2010-03-04, 02:46 PM
See, if I actually stop and think about it, I'm never sure how good friends I count Playgrounders as. Things are less clear over an internet forum - you say things, but they're essentially said to everyone, so it's harder to say how much you've really talked to/gotten to know a specific person than it is in real life.

But generally, I don't stop and think about it. I like it here, I like the people, it's fun. I only consider this stuff when considering 'Do I add this person on facebook?' (I tend to overthink things like that).

@Curly: The misspelling, it burns us, yes, precious it does...

CurlyKitGirl
2010-03-04, 02:54 PM
@Curly: The misspelling, it burns us, yes, precious it does...

:amused:
Very much amused.

ION:
This essay is riveting, I've made a ton of notes from it. :smallsigh: But it's so long. Also, I keep picking up on things Tolkein's pointed out that make their way into The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. 'Tis distracting, but I highly recommend it.
Four essays, one book and one poem (seriously, I think I should've actually started to read Beowulf by now, the essay's due in on Monday) to go.

Dragonrider
2010-03-04, 03:05 PM
ION:
This essay is riveting, I've made a ton of notes from it. :smallsigh: But it's so long. Also, I keep picking up on things Tolkein's pointed out that make their way into The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. 'Tis distracting, but I highly recommend it.
Four essays, one book and one poem (seriously, I think I should've actually started to read Beowulf by now, the essay's due in on Monday) to go.

That's what's so cool about Tolkien. Not only was he an amazing worldbuilder, he knew his stuff.

Did I tell you about The Prose Edda? How he took the names of all the dwarves in The Hobbit from mythical Icelandic dwarves? Dwalin, Balin, Oin, Gloin, Fili, Kili, Dori, Ori, Nori, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Thorin. I read an article once that scoffed at the rhyming names, saying they were silly. But they're NOT "silly", they're COOL! Because of the origin!

(I'm glad Thufir got the "Tolkein" twitches in, because if he hadn't I might've asploded. :smallamused:

CurlyKitGirl
2010-03-04, 03:14 PM
That's what's so cool about Tolkien. Not only was he an amazing worldbuilder, he knew his stuff.

If you're interested then, the essay is "Beowulf: The Monsters and the Critics.

Did I tell you about The Prose Edda? How he took the names of all the dwarves in The Hobbit from mythical Icelandic dwarves? Dwalin, Balin, Oin, Gloin, Fili, Kili, Dori, Ori, Nori, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Thorin. I read an article once that scoffed at the rhyming names, saying they were silly. But they're NOT "silly", they're COOL! Because of the origin!

Yes, you told me about The Prose Edda, but not about the names. I always found the names whimsical, and knowing what I knew of Tolkein, guessed they were from a mythology, but not which one.
Their names are now doubly cool. For being both whimsical, and for the origin.

(I'm glad Thufir got the "Tolkein" twitches in, because if he hadn't I might've asploded. :smallamused:

TOLKEIN!!
:smallamused:

Mando Knight
2010-03-04, 05:35 PM
*Does not get this "Tolkein" nonsense*

...Seriously.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-03-04, 05:38 PM
*explodes with spelling glare and jealousy*

RAAARGH:furious:

:smallsigh: How I wish I had the money and freedom to visit england without major plannings and such, and then only a maybe...

Starfols
2010-03-04, 05:42 PM
Who is this Tolkeen guy everybody's talking about? :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-04, 05:43 PM
Who is this Tolkeen guy everybody's talking about? :smalltongue:

I think it's the guy who sells knock-off cigarettes in the pub at the end of my road. Sounds like his name.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-03-04, 06:35 PM
*Does not get this "Tolkein" nonsense*

...Seriously.

'Tis a running joke between CurlyKitGirl and everyone else. CurlyKitGirl was, for a very long time disillusioned over Tolkein, and spoke disparagingly of it and was one disapproving voice in a chorus of general positiveness on this thread.
A misspelling of Tolkein's name in one post has now become a running joke, and CurlyKitGirl makes sure to spell it incorrectly now as part of the joke. This is despite the fact that after ten years of not reading the books and refusing flat out to watch the films (because she'd read the books and didn't want to be disillusioned (this is before she fell out of love with Tolkein)) she watched all the films in one day just before Christmas last year, and then read her 1100+ page edition of the books in two days.
She now likes LoTR and the films, but persists with the joke. Because.

In short, unless you've hung around FB and CurlyKitGirl, DeeRee, DD and others for quite a while you wouldn't get the joke.

@DD: it was good, perhaps there'll be a similar exhibit for the seventy-fifth anniversary.

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-04, 07:34 PM
Is it normal to get randomly angry for no reason?

Nice avi, Curly. I always like yours.

Dragonrider
2010-03-04, 07:42 PM
In short, unless you've hung around FB and CurlyKitGirl, DeeRee, DD and others for quite a while you wouldn't get the joke.

Ah, in-jokes. :smallamused: I always knew I'd get you on my side. This last holdover from days past is totally worth it.

Also: Why do I create more work for myself? Over spring break I'm supposed to write a book (secondary source) analysis relating to my ultra-long research paper topic. Professor suggested 340 pages would be about right. So I go and pick a volume that is 465 of material, 530 if you count appendices. :smallsigh:

Maybe if I'd chosen a more mainstream topic (this is the Llywelyn ap Gruffydd paper still) I wouldn't have this problem :smallbiggrin: but I might not be having this much fun with it, either.

Astrella
2010-03-04, 08:07 PM
Gah, there's a (very loud) party going on on the floor above mine in my residence. It's now 15 past 2 and it's not going to stop before 4 earliest.
Can't get to sleep and I really need my sleep. :smallsigh:

Dr. Bath
2010-03-04, 08:10 PM
Gah, there's a (very loud) party going on on the floor above mine in my residence. It's now 15 past 2 and it's not going to stop before 4 earliest.
Can't get to sleep and I really need my sleep. :smallsigh:

Ear plugs or radio are the only options sadly. I know this, from experience.

That or join in?

Astrella
2010-03-04, 08:13 PM
The worst part is the off-key singing. :smallsigh:
Oh, well...

Dr. Bath
2010-03-04, 08:21 PM
Better than violent banging on your door (in lieu of someone else's door) followed by a fire alarm, let me tell you.

Just try to imagine that the off-key singing is purposefully ironic. Like U2.

Coidzor
2010-03-04, 08:47 PM
Plus, it helps ward away vampires!

...and unfortunately cute girls. :smallfrown:

...I actually had some people run away from me in broad daylight because I was singing... oh goodness. I believe it was either Don't Stop Believing or Africa... Then switched over to Gone Too Soon. They started walking faster midway through the first song but they got caught at the last stoplight before hitting campus, so once they got across the street and about halfway across the down the block to UO campus they started breaking into a run after jaywalking to the other side of the street.

Dr. Bath
2010-03-04, 08:48 PM
Well, as awsome as that is, Africa is a terrible terrible song, Coidzor. And you should be ashamed.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-03-04, 11:19 PM
Well, as awsome as that is, Africa is a terrible terrible song, Coidzor. And you should be ashamed.

Terrible, and yet oddly catchy...

Anyway, figured I've been on the forums long enough that I should get to know some people here. Hello, random banter thread!

Phase
2010-03-05, 12:12 AM
Djinn, ol' buddy ol' pal! Don't usually catch you round these parts!

This here's Random Banter. Take everything we say with a grain of salt and a dash of Ipecac.

Pyrian
2010-03-05, 12:19 AM
Is that why the same subjects keep coming up? :smalleek: :smallwink: :smalltongue:

Rutskarn
2010-03-05, 01:26 AM
No, that's because we're stuck in the past. I suggest we move forward into a bold new future, or perhaps move laterally into a passably different present. Upward and downward movement are not really germane to this analogy, so I'll disregard them.

Let's sing a song.

Pyrian
2010-03-05, 01:30 AM
There's such a sad love, deep in your eyes,
a kind of pale jewel, open and closed, within your eyes;
I'll place the sky within your eyes! (http://www.redkaraoke.com/profile/Pyrian/recordings/45318)

Rutskarn
2010-03-05, 01:33 AM
Fun fact: I saw karaoke and thought, oh, hey, it's a site that holds wav files of people singing karaoke.

The page didn't load, but while I wasn't paying attention, my window with the bloop (http://www.bloopwatch.org/bloop_realtime.wav)came to the forefront. I glanced back and went, golly whiskers, looks like the audio of Pyrian singing has finished loading.

I hit play, and there was a moment of consternation.

Pyrian
2010-03-05, 01:35 AM
That is awesome. :smallbiggrin: Now we know who REALLY made that sound!

Rutskarn
2010-03-05, 02:11 AM
Speaking of songs and Cthulhu, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afmc6G6CmSU)has been stuck in my head ever since I beat On The Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness 2.

Jibar
2010-03-05, 02:29 AM
Plus, it helps ward away vampires!

When I was a kid I was terrified of vampires sitting on my windowsill at night and watching me sleep.
It's led to awkward conversations today about my vampire prevention methods.

Apparently normal people don't want to keep vampires away.

Speaking of songs and Cthulhu, this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afmc6G6CmSU)has been stuck in my head ever since I beat On The Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness 2.

Yes.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-03-05, 02:33 AM
When I was a kid I was terrified of vampires sitting on my windowsill at night and watching me sleep.
It's lead to awkward conversations today about my vampire prevention methods.

Yup. We lure them in and stake them when they're distracted. >.>

Rutskarn
2010-03-05, 02:34 AM
For me, it wasn't vampires, it was Krueger types. I didn't have much of a plan, because if Krueger wants to kill you, you're more or less bummed.

Hey, wow, look at all that work I should be doing. That's awesome.

KuReshtin
2010-03-05, 03:20 AM
I sure hope that things will be a bit calmer than they were yesterday at work.
Then again, mentioning it here will most likely jinx it, and we'll be swamped with tons of cases that needs done.

I just want the weekend to arrive so I can kill some stuff.
And I want the Character Builder to stop being stupid and just download the latest update already.:smallmad:

Coidzor
2010-03-05, 06:15 AM
It's led to awkward conversations today about my vampire prevention methods.

I think you're thinking of middle-aged housewives and twelve year old girls. Hardly everybody.

The elderly still properly fear the undead, though they of course have less to lose and are less at risk due to being undesirable prey.

Jibar
2010-03-05, 09:24 AM
Mwehehe... gleeeee.
I've got my nerf guns, but they gave me one of the double ammo specials so now I've got some spare bullets.
The next step is to make holsters, then order more bullets and make bandoleers.

Neko Toast
2010-03-05, 09:27 AM
Mwehehe... gleeeee.
I've got my nerf guns, but they gave me one of the double ammo specials so now I've got some spare bullets.
The next step is to make holsters, then order more bullets and make bandoleers.

Nerf guns = teh awesums.

Me and 7 of my friends are going to rent out a house to live in next semester, and all of us have been slowly building up some sort of nerf gun arsenal (only got one so far for myself). I'm sure that a nerf gun war across the whole house is inevitable once we all move in.

Though, with these friends, having a boffer sword fight in the backyard is much more likely...

Jibar
2010-03-05, 10:04 AM
In my friend's house they've all got their own personal nerf weaponry and there's a drawer filled with extra bullets in the kitchen.

Makes me wish I had friends to move in with now.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-03-05, 10:06 AM
Nerf guns = teh awesums.

Me and 7 of my friends are going to rent out a house to live in next semester, and all of us have been slowly building up some sort of nerf gun arsenal (only got one so far for myself). I'm sure that a nerf gun war across the whole house is inevitable once we all move in.

Though, with these friends, having a boffer sword fight in the backyard is much more likely...

Always fun. Modded guns just make it that much more entertaining...until the pain threshold is crossed, of course. Not that my arsenal would *ever* have the potential to cause pain...

And ah...the days of boffer fights. My college had a melee club which was exactly that. My personal best? Me with my 6'4" double-ended staff vs. the other 16 members of the club. Total victory. :smallbiggrin:

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 11:16 AM
I don't believe in relationships. I have a scientific beliefs system; I can't believe anything I haven't seen direct evidence of.

I also don't believe in flirtation, sexual reproduction, or a female who is not gripped by throes of horror and revulsion.

Oh ho.

Nothing to be ashamed of, I've never held hands with a guy either.

Dr. Bath
2010-03-05, 11:38 AM
How did I not see this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEr0BPOfVw4&feature=player_embedded) until now? How did I survive without it etched to my retina.

We may never know.

CurlyKitGirl
2010-03-05, 11:47 AM
How did I not see this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEr0BPOfVw4&feature=player_embedded) until now? How did I survive without it etched to my retina.

We may never know.

. . .

There is no smiley to express . . . what?
:small jawdrop with a quizzical look of mixed shock, fascination and confusion:

ION:
I gained a level in Bluff today. I (again) didn't even start annotating my text extracts until ten minutes before the class.
I raised and made some very good or interesting points.
Now to note taking :sigh:

KuReshtin
2010-03-05, 11:59 AM
I'm still sitting at work. I should be finishing up my DnD character for the session tomorrow and print the new character sheet (abuse of office printer FTW) and then go home to try to fake a parchment for our 'homework' for tomorrow's session. instead, I'm stuck here on the GitP boards.

I've got Chris Cornell playing in the background, though, so it's not too bad.

Phaedra
2010-03-05, 12:06 PM
ION:
I gained a level in Bluff today. I (again) didn't even start annotating my text extracts until ten minutes before the class.
I raised and made some very good or interesting points.
Now to note taking :sigh:

I wish my students had the decency to at least bluff when they haven't done the prep. Mine just look at me blankly until I give in and give them the answer. I often feel like my tutorials with some students are like beating their heads against a wall and hoping some knowledge bleeds out. Actually, that might be my new tactic.

I've not even taught for a year and already I'm bitter and jaded.

KuReshtin
2010-03-05, 12:12 PM
I wish my students had the decency to at least bluff when they haven't done the prep. Mine just look at me blankly until I give in and give them the answer. I often feel like my tutorials with some students are like beating their heads against a wall and hoping some knowledge bleeds out. Actually, that might be my new tactic.

Wouldn't it be better if their knowledge didn't bleed out? Cause once it's gone, it's gone and it takes extra effort to put it back again.

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 12:19 PM

Look at it this way, they are honestly admitting their mistakes in silence rather than feebly making up some excuse.

And hey, j-j-jaded, it's your own fault for teaching in the first place. If you didn't want to become a bitter husk you should've chosen your profession better.

Phaedra
2010-03-05, 12:19 PM
Wouldn't it be better if their knowledge didn't bleed out? Cause once it's gone, it's gone and it takes extra effort to put it back again.

I'm pretty sure it's not there to start with in most cases. But in any case, knowledge is more of a renewable resource, and what's the point of keeping it locked up in someone's head? It needs to be shared.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-03-05, 12:20 PM
And that's why I propose zombie-isdom! Share the knowledge, share the brains!

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 12:25 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not there to start with in most cases. But in any case, knowledge is more of a renewable resource, and what's the point of keeping it locked up in someone's head? It needs to be shared.

You really don't want some people to share the contents of their heads with you. It will get very, very messy.

But who cares about knowledge anyway? Intelligence is the way forward. I don't care for knowing things, but I wholeheartedly support understanding them.

Jibar
2010-03-05, 01:09 PM
I swear, I've got every bit of stationary possible here when all I need is a ruler to measure this Nerf Gun.
This is why I'm not a craftsman.

Rutskarn
2010-03-05, 01:31 PM
It's ironic, don't you think?

Also: you can totally just print out a ruler.

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 01:32 PM
Or better yet just use your physical anatomy to measure things!

Rutskarn
2010-03-05, 01:34 PM
If you know what I mean.

I don't think you do.

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 01:39 PM
Yes Rutskarn, that was the joke.

And then the follow-up was the rebuke for lewd imagination.

I hope you're happy, you've ruined the whole thing now.

Thus the rebuke is reversed and the panoramic dichotomy of the joke is the real joke. But I never found self-referential humour very funny.

...Tits.

Work that joke out.

Rutskarn
2010-03-05, 01:41 PM
But it wasn't self-referential humor, because I was referring to your statement. I still torpedoed your joke, but it had the effect of increasing my net humor value by a small percent. Acceptable collateral, I think.

I am a vicious humorless humor corporation.

...Tits.

Work that joke out.

I'll work that out anyday!

Farrrrtttt.

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 01:42 PM
Oh you comedic egotist you. MY joke was the self-referencing one.

You've got a lot to learn before you challenge me to a game of humour, my boy.

Fofofofof.

Rutskarn
2010-03-05, 01:44 PM
This isn't a game, this is war, you monster.

Where did I get a purple colored pencil, and what bastard put "erasable" on it when that is demonstrably not the case?

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 01:47 PM
I'll be damned if I'll play the straight-man this time!

I'll be making the outrageous statements then YOU will express the disbelief you cretin!

*Ahem.*

...Damnit.

It's raining fish for now until I think of something more outlandish.

Rutskarn
2010-03-05, 01:59 PM
Fish, you say? There's no meteorological explanation for that sort of thing. I don't believe you.

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 02:11 PM
Ah screw it. The mood's totally blown.

You planned this. And I will end you for it.

To be concluded...

And that's our episode of Zeroes and Karns, that wacky comedy show with a dramatic twist!

Phase
2010-03-05, 02:14 PM
The twist is they impregnated each other.

Rutskarn
2010-03-05, 02:15 PM
Dammit Phase.

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 02:17 PM
Way too low-brow, Phase. This is why I said your humour needs work. Your witicisms are not nearly up to par.

If Rutskarn isn't in my league then you aren't... Err... In my... Sport? ...

...You're bad. Bad at funny making.

Rutskarn
2010-03-05, 02:20 PM
Low-brow? What, you didn't get the political satire?

Oh, Zero. We love you anyway. Tell you what, here's a hint: it involves the use of subway fast-passes.

Phase
2010-03-05, 02:23 PM
...You're bad. Bad at funny making.

Well you are a mean person who doesn't know what it's like to be an international man of mystery such as I.

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 02:26 PM
There was no satire was there, Rutskarn. What a cruel joke.

And Phase, as mean as I may be, society at large is to blame. I may not know how it is to be who you are pretending to be, but I damn-well pretend to know how it is to be who I'm pretending to be, and that's more than enough!

Incidentally, is anyone up for scrabble?

Rutskarn
2010-03-05, 02:30 PM
I have to go eat in a minute, otherwise I'd be hardscrabble.

I've been working on my technique. I can spell 1.1 more dirty words per five minutes than the last time we played.

KuReshtin
2010-03-05, 02:30 PM
I'l jump in here and kill the joking mood even more by exclaiming:

EUREKA!

My fake parchment making worked perfectly. All it took was some regular printing paper, two tea bags, some water and an oven (for drying purposes).
Now I can finish my 'home work' that our DM set for us to complete for tomorrow. Only thing is that no one expects me to bring it, cause everyone knows that him setting us that home work was a joke.

So joke's on him. HAH!

Phaedra
2010-03-05, 02:50 PM
You really don't want some people to share the contents of their heads with you. It will get very, very messy.

But who cares about knowledge anyway? Intelligence is the way forward. I don't care for knowing things, but I wholeheartedly support understanding them.

I don't want the whole contents of their head. Just the legal knowledge related parts. There's a limit to how messy that can get, although one student a couple of weeks back did manage to insert sex into a scenario which in no way related to sex. There was probably a better way to deal with it than to burst into laughter, but that is what I did.

Also, yes, understanding is good, though knowledge is the base for it. Still, the fact that you can see the difference puts you ahead of many people I teach. Have you ever thought of doing law? It's fun, I promise!

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 03:01 PM
I don't want the whole contents of their head. Just the legal knowledge related parts. There's a limit to how messy that can get, although one student a couple of weeks back did manage to insert sex into a scenario which in no way related to sex. There was probably a better way to deal with it than to burst into laughter, but that is what I did.

Also, yes, understanding is good, though knowledge is the base for it. Still, the fact that you can see the difference puts you ahead of many people I teach. Have you ever thought of doing law? It's fun, I promise!

Oh, I'm sure if you cracked open any number of people's heads you'd find things that put the mere interpolation of intercourse into a topic to shame. Mine, for instance.

And, I guarantee you there is no knowledge behind my understanding. The only thing know is that I know nothing.

And no, I've never thought about studying law, fun or no. It's one of those subjects you need to remember things for. And I do so hate remembering things. If it was up to me no one would remember anything and that'd be the end of it.

I suppose that's why I'm doing maths really. Up until this point I never had to know anything. But nowadays it's all theorems and proofs, makes me sick.

Phaedra
2010-03-05, 03:17 PM
Oh, I'm sure if you cracked open any number of people's heads you'd find things that put the mere interpolation of intercourse into a topic to shame. Mine, for instance.

And, I guarantee you there is no knowledge behind my understanding. The only thing know is that I know nothing.

And no, I've never thought about studying law, fun or no. It's one of those subjects you need to remember things for. And I do so hate remembering things. If it was up to me no one would remember anything and that'd be the end of it.

I suppose that's why I'm doing maths really. Up until this point I never had to know anything. But nowadays it's all theorems and proofs, makes me sick.

So what would I find if I cracked open your head, Zero? Apart from brains and blood.

Also, knowing you know nothing is the most important thing to realise.

Law does involve remembering a lot of case names, but I was always rubbish at that and I've done ok. Once you finish undergrad you just have to know how to find a case if you need it. Law's essentially a course where you just have to read a load of stories and remember the basic point of those stories. Some of the stories are hilarious, some are dull, some are horribly, horribly depressing, but overall - just a load of stories.

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 03:27 PM
I don't believe you're capable for finding out what's in my head. You have neither will nor method of head-crackery.

And I think there are more important things to realise. 'Don't stick your hand into fire', for example. Or, 'don't eat things off of the floor'.

Rutskarn
2010-03-05, 03:29 PM
I eat things off the floor all the time. I am a harsh taskmaster to my immune system, and will not brook it sitting around on velvet cushions getting soft and weak.

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 03:33 PM
Personally I eat velvet cushions so my taskmaster will sit around eating things off the floor, but that's hardly the subject of debate now is it.

Complete tangent.

Phaedra
2010-03-05, 03:33 PM
I don't believe you're capable for finding out what's in my head. You have neither will nor method of head-crackery.

And I think there are more important things to realise. 'Don't stick your hand into fire', for example. Or, 'don't eat things off of the floor'.

You can heal a burned hand or food poisoning. No one can heal being an annoying pretentious ass who thinks they know everything.

Also I have plenty of will and many implements that could be used for head-cracking. You don't know what I get up to in my spare time. Head-cracking is my speciality.

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 03:42 PM
You can heal a burned hand or food poisoning. No one can heal being an annoying pretentious ass who thinks they know everything.

Also I have plenty of will and many implements that could be used for head-cracking. You don't know what I get up to in my spare time. Head-cracking is my speciality.

What if it's a hand that gets scarred from the burning eh? Eat that triviality!

However, I will concede this point on the condition that I am still allowed to disdain people for superficial reasons.

Also, I can't tell if you mean the metaphorical opening of one's head, that is, the understanding of one's thoughts, or the physical act of opening someone's head for humorous effect. That is, humorous effect within your post, rather than because opening someone like a bag of crisps is funny.

I am going with the latter. But know that the aforementioned metaphorical head-crackery is one of my specialties.

Jibar
2010-03-05, 03:49 PM
Say, UKers, where's a good place to buy spray paint?

I need some... primer, I guess, both grey and... various colours.
And some regular colours and...
Uh... painter's tape? What is that?

I don't know what I'm doing. I need this stuff to do that. (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76612)

Phaedra
2010-03-05, 03:51 PM
However, I will concede this point on the condition that I am still allowed to disdain people for superficial reasons.

I am going with the latter. But know that the aforementioned metaphorical head-crackery is one of my specialties.

I don't know that anything could ever get you to stop disdaining (is that even a word?) people for superficial reasons. I certainly won't try.

Metaphorical head-crackery, eh? So what do you see in my head? Do I want to know?

Edge
2010-03-05, 03:51 PM

I don't know what I'm doing. I need this stuff to do that. (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76612)

Games Workshop is the only source of spray paint that I can think of off the top of my head. Probably extortionately priced, though.

KuReshtin
2010-03-05, 04:01 PM

For regular spray paint, you can always try HomeBase or B&Q. They should have stuff like that.
I believe 'Painter's tape' is just regular masking tape. Also available at any paint store. most likely in different widths, but I think generally about 2cm or 5cm wide.

Edit, you can see the roll of masking tape on the third picture.

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 04:01 PM
Games Workshop is the only source of spray paint that I can think of off the top of my head. Probably extortionately priced, though.

Everything in a Games Workshop is overpriced. One of these days they'll charge you for the air you breathe I'm sure.

But I seem to recall some sort of store near the closest Toys-R-Us which sold DIY stuff like that; wood, bubblewrap, paint, etc. In Town? I have no idea.

I don't know that anything could ever get you to stop disdaining (is that even a word?) people for superficial reasons. I certainly won't try.

Metaphorical head-crackery, eh? So what do you see in my head? Do I want to know?

Tis a word. 'To disdain', therefore 'disdain-ing'.

And why would I tell you that, because I'm such a charming fella? If I went around openly analysing people's modus operandi (modi operandorum apparently) then I wouldn't be a very popular person now would I.

Hmm...

Jibar
2010-03-05, 04:14 PM
Everything in a Games Workshop is overpriced. One of these days they'll charge you for the air you breathe I'm sure.

But I seem to recall some sort of store near the closest Toys-R-Us which sold DIY stuff like that; wood, bubblewrap, paint, etc. In Town? I have no idea.

It's a B&Q.
48 stops at a bus stop just next to it, so I guess I'll head over the sometime next week.

Got a house to go look at tomorrow.

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 04:19 PM
House huh? You're looking at living alone, right?

Maybe I should find somewhere to live alone.

Phaedra
2010-03-05, 04:19 PM

Tis a word. 'To disdain', therefore 'disdain-ing'.

And why would I tell you that, because I'm such a charming fella? If I went around openly analysing people's modus operandi (modi operandorum apparently) then I wouldn't be a very popular person now would I.

Hmm...

There's a Toys-R-Us in town? I've lived here for ages, how have I not seen this? I mean, not that I've bought a toy for about 10yrs, but still...

Disdaining just sounds wrong... My spelling and grammar are usually pretty iffy though, so I don't really trust myself on these kinds of things.

Charming? Ok. Anyway, I have no modus operandi. That implies I have some kind of plan, and that gives me too much credit.

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 04:24 PM
There's a Toys-R-Us in town? I've lived here for ages, how have I not seen this? I mean, not that I've bought a toy for about 10yrs, but still...

Disdaining just sounds wrong... My spelling and grammar are usually pretty iffy though, so I don't really trust myself on these kinds of things.

Charming? Ok. Anyway, I have no modus operandi. That implies I have some kind of plan, and that gives me too much credit.

Of course there isn't a Toys-R-Us in town; I meant charming in the way that you state things which are evidently false out of contrast; and you do have a plan, though some might say trivially so.

KuReshtin
2010-03-05, 04:25 PM
It's a B&Q.
48 stops at a bus stop just next to it, so I guess I'll head over the sometime next week.

Got a house to go look at tomorrow.

Apparently, there's a difference between masking tape (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10548999&fh_reftheme=promo_159792330%2cseeall%2c%2f%2fcatal og01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372013}%2fcategories %3C{9372033}%2fcategories%3C{9502021}%2fspecificat ionsProductType%3dtape&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3 C{9372013}%2fcategories%3C{9372033}%2fcategories%3 C{9502021}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dtape%2fsp ecificationsSpecificProductType%3dmasking_tape&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=lister&ts=1267824888701&isSearch=false) and painter's tape (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10548798&fh_reftheme=promo_159792330%2cseeall%2c%2f%2fcatal og01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372013}%2fcategories %3C{9372033}%2fcategories%3C{9502021}%2fspecificat ionsProductType%3dtape&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3 C{9372013}%2fcategories%3C{9372033}%2fcategories%3 C{9502021}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dtape%2fsp ecificationsSpecificProductType%3dmasking_tape&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=lister&ts=1267824777588&isSearch=false). Who'da thunk it?

Also, spray paint (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?linktype=breadcrumb&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372013}/categories%3C{9372030}/categories%3C{9372123}/specificationsProductType%3Dspray_paints&&ts=1267825057908).

Jibar
2010-03-05, 04:27 PM
House huh? You're looking at living alone, right?

Maybe I should find somewhere to live alone.

I would prefer to live alone, but this house is same price as what I'm paying now and pretty much across the road from campus. I'd just have to be sharing again.
I think it'd be hard for them to be worse than this lot, and I could hide in my room all the time again. At least the room would be bigger than this square metre one.

Apparently the places I was looking at were in some bad areas, so I'm thinking no on them.
Plus I don't know if I could put up with how much my mother would worry if I lived alone.

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-05, 04:30 PM
I just had to tell a girl who flirts with me constantly that I don't like her that way... I feel realy bad now. :smallfrown:

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 04:30 PM
I would prefer to live alone, but this house is same price as what I'm paying now and pretty much across the road from campus. I'd just have to be sharing again.
I think it'd be hard for them to be worse than this lot, and I could hide in my room all the time again. At least the room would be bigger than this square metre one.

So, I heard you like tempting fate.

Jibar
2010-03-05, 04:35 PM
So, I heard you like tempting fate.

At some point my life will have an up, it must do!
Stupid karma failing.

Apparently, there's a difference between masking tape (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10548999&fh_reftheme=promo_159792330%2cseeall%2c%2f%2fcatal og01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372013}%2fcategories %3C{9372033}%2fcategories%3C{9502021}%2fspecificat ionsProductType%3dtape&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3 C{9372013}%2fcategories%3C{9372033}%2fcategories%3 C{9502021}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dtape%2fsp ecificationsSpecificProductType%3dmasking_tape&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=lister&ts=1267824888701&isSearch=false) and painter's tape (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10548798&fh_reftheme=promo_159792330%2cseeall%2c%2f%2fcatal og01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{9372013}%2fcategories %3C{9372033}%2fcategories%3C{9502021}%2fspecificat ionsProductType%3dtape&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3 C{9372013}%2fcategories%3C{9372033}%2fcategories%3 C{9502021}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dtape%2fsp ecificationsSpecificProductType%3dmasking_tape&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=lister&ts=1267824777588&isSearch=false). Who'da thunk it?

Also, spray paint (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?linktype=breadcrumb&fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories%3C{9372013}/categories%3C{9372030}/categories%3C{9372123}/specificationsProductType%3Dspray_paints&&ts=1267825057908).

That... is actually incredibly useful, thanks.

Phaedra
2010-03-05, 04:36 PM
Of course there isn't a Toys-R-Us in town; I meant charming in the way that you state things which are evidently false out of contrast; and you do have a plan, though some might say trivially so.

Well, good, it's nice to know I've not blindly missed a toy superstore. I'm pretty sure I don't have a plan for anything at all in life, but if you know better, do share it with me. It'd be nice to know what was happening for once.

I just had to tell a girl who flirts with me constantly that I don't like her that way... I feel realy bad now. :smallfrown:

Better that she learns now than later. Honesty is always best.

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 04:42 PM
At some point my life will have an up, it must do!
Stupid karma failing.

Pfft. Says Mr. Popular. Always bragging about his having friends and doing activities.

Well, good, it's nice to know I've not blindly missed a toy superstore. I'm pretty sure I don't have a plan for anything at all in life, but if you know better, do share it with me. It'd be nice to know what was happening for once.

Like I say, trivially so. You have the normal plan which most every person has.

Personally I can't be having with any of that nonsense.

Zocelot
2010-03-05, 05:02 PM
Games Workshop is the only company I don't buy from for the reason that they're too expensive. Some other companies I don't buy from because the game lacks a community, or it just isn't fun for me, but I'm not willing to pay $500 to start playing a game.

Also, earlier today I was having fun with tape. I got 3 pieces of tape, drew an eye on each of two of them, and a mouth on the third, then slapped them on my face so that I couldn't see or talk and I looked like a creepy cheesy movie villain. I'll post pictures later if I can get ahold of them.

Dr. Bath
2010-03-05, 05:07 PM

If you're having female problems I feel just awful for you, junior, but I have one short of a hundred dilemmas, and a woman is not one of them.

In other news: Jibar will be killed by his housemates. I just wanted to call it in case I get to be proved wrong.

(They will set up the cadaver in a grim scene so similar to jibar's current state that no one will notice. That's what I'd do. Also formaldehyde)

Player_Zero
2010-03-05, 05:08 PM
(They will set up the cadaver in a grim scene so similar to jibar's current state that no one will notice. That's what I'd do. Also formaldehyde)

I'd totally go for the skeletal tea party option.

Anyway, I'd better leave the library... I won't be home before eleven it seems... And I haven't had anything to eat.

Phaedra
2010-03-05, 05:10 PM
I'd totally go for the skeletal tea party option.

See, you plan. You are a man with a plan.

ION: I have only just discovered the wonder of Chrome. It's so pretty.

Dr. Bath
2010-03-05, 05:10 PM
Always a good choice, sir. Though skeletal stuffed toys can be hard to come by.

@^ Sleek as a polished rump.

Dogmantra
2010-03-05, 05:11 PM
I have the strangest feeling that I said something that I shouldn't have. I have had this feeling for days on end and I'm getting sick of it.