PDA

View Full Version : D&D[3.5] Uthgardt (human subrace)

VikingSamurai
2010-02-13, 04:49 PM
Okay, here's my second attempt at making a balanced race/subrace. Any constructive criticism would be very welcome. Note that all racial traits replace that of the standard human as listed in the Player's Handbook.

Uthgardt

+2 CON, -2 INT, -2 CHA.
Size: Medium
Base land speed: 30ft (though, the Uthgardt is not encumbered by wearing armour).
Favoured class: Barbarian.
Automatic languages: Common, Giant (they run into a fair few of them in the dalelands/Icewind Dale).
Fighter's Blood (Racial): Gains one feat from the fighter's bonus feat list (provided they meet the Prerequisites).
Wild (Racial): Gains +2 to survival checks.
Powerful Build (Racial): The physical stature of Uthgardt lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever an Uthgardt is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the Uthgardt is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. An Uthgardt is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. An Uthgardt can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.
Description: The Uthgardt are a race of humongous, hardy humans, who primarily live atop the harsh tundras of Icewind Dale. They are a simple people, often not knowing (or understanding) the mannerisms and customs of the so-called "civilized" races. They are often referred to as barbarians by most other races because of this, but nevertheless, they do, on many an occasion, prove themselves to be extremely powerful fighters - and quite talented priests (this is somewhat more rare, though).

LENGTHENED BLOWS (General):

Description: The character is able to make use of their large weapons much more effectively by reaching to attack with them.
Specifics: Using a weapon that is considered to be 2-handed grants the character an extended reach:

Medium Character :10ft reach.
Large Character :15ft reach.
Huge Character :20ft reach.
Gargantuan Character :25ft reach.
Colossal Character :30ft reach.

All attacks used like this incur a -2 penalty to hit.
Prerequisites: 12+ STR, Martial Weapon Proficiency, BAB 5+.

Again, any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. I think that there are a few things about this subrace I could improve, but I'm not exactly sure what.

Bibliomancer
2010-02-13, 04:56 PM
Do these traits replace or supplement those of humans?

If they replace them, you should clarify that by adding the line "These traits replace the standard human traits listed in the PHB." Otherwise, the assumption for sub-races (such as elven subraces) is that the traits listed are added to those of the base race, which would make this race far too powerful for LA +0.

VikingSamurai
2010-02-13, 05:01 PM
Do these traits replace or supplement those of humans?

If they replace them, you should clarify that by adding the line "These traits replace the standard human traits listed in the PHB." Otherwise, the assumption for sub-races (such as elven subraces) is that the traits listed are added to those of the base race, which would make this race far too powerful for LA +0.

I honestly didn't think of that. Thanks :smallsmile:.

Harperfan7
2010-02-13, 05:12 PM
I would give them powerful build instead of large size.

Wulfgar definitly had that template where you add 2 to an ability score and 4 to any checks with that score (strength in his case), in addition to having a base score of 18 in strength, was a barbarian, and was still only <7ft. and 300lbs.

VikingSamurai
2010-02-13, 05:22 PM
I would give them powerful build instead of large size.

Wulfgar definitly had that template where you add 2 to an ability score and 4 to any checks with that score (strength in his case), in addition to having a base score of 18 in strength, was a barbarian, and was still only <7ft. and 300lbs.

I can't believe I forgot about Powerful Build - heck, I even played as a half-giant fighter, once! Thanks for pointing that out (I was starting to question the average of 10ft height, myself). I am sort of worried that +4 to checks involving a particular ability score may be a tad imbalancing, though.

Harperfan7
2010-02-13, 05:44 PM
I can't believe I forgot about Powerful Build - heck, I even played as a half-giant fighter, once! Thanks for pointing that out (I was starting to question the average of 10ft height, myself). I am sort of worried that +4 to checks involving a particular ability score may be a tad imbalancing, though.

Screw it. These are some pretty big guys. Aren't they considered stronger than orcs in some of the Salvatore novels?

Jota
2010-02-13, 11:53 PM
Large or bigger weapons... did you check what the SRD says about weapon sizes when you made this?

Every weapon has a size category. This designation indicates the size of the creature for which the weapon was designed.

A weapon’s size category isn’t the same as its size as an object. Instead, a weapon’s size category is keyed to the size of the intended wielder. In general, a light weapon is an object two size categories smaller than the wielder, a one-handed weapon is an object one size category smaller than the wielder, and a two-handed weapon is an object of the same size category as the wielder. (SRD:Weapon_Categories#Weapon_Size (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/SRD:Weapon_Categories#Weapon_Size))

This means that you have to take a -2 penalty to attack rolls in order to have reach; is this by design or something you hadn't considered? Also, have you considered how this would stack with expansion or enlarge person (since this just says your reach goes from 5 to 10, but in those cases you would already have 10 reach)?

Now, I agree with the premise that reach can become something of a necessity around that level (5-6) in order to prevent the fighter from falling further and further behind, but this (Large size at LA 0) is not especially balanced against core.

Zexion
2010-02-13, 11:56 PM
I really like this idea. Nice name, too.

VikingSamurai
2010-02-14, 02:56 AM
Large or bigger weapons... did you check what the SRD says about weapon sizes when you made this?

This means that you have to take a -2 penalty to attack rolls in order to have reach; is this by design or something you hadn't considered? Also, have you considered how this would stack with expansion or enlarge person (since this just says your reach goes from 5 to 10, but in those cases you would already have 10 reach)?

Now, I agree with the premise that reach can become something of a necessity around that level (5-6) in order to prevent the fighter from falling further and further behind, but this (Large size at LA 0) is not especially balanced against core.

True (I REALLY have to do the research before I make everything up). Now that I have changed the size to medium, it does seem somewhat inappropriate to get the feat for free (will still make amendments, though). Also, thanks for pointing this out.

VikingSamurai
2010-02-14, 03:16 AM
I really like this idea. Nice name, too.

Thanks, though, I really just stole most of it from the Forgotten Realms setting.

VikingSamurai
2010-02-14, 03:22 AM
Screw it. These are some pretty big guys. Aren't they considered stronger than orcs in some of the Salvatore novels?

I'd have thought that would be due to their skill in battle/experience. Also, most orcs aren't exactly all that powerful, so it's not much of an accomplishment.

Harperfan7
2010-02-14, 12:14 PM
I'd have thought that would be due to their skill in battle/experience. Also, most orcs aren't exactly all that powerful, so it's not much of an accomplishment.

I meant specifically stronger, as in higher strength score.

VikingSamurai
2010-02-14, 12:36 PM
I meant specifically stronger, as in higher strength score.

Ah. Did R.A.Salvatore mean it specifically like that? (sorry, haven't read many of his books.) Also, is it a comparison between two individuals, or the races in general?

(again, we must keep balance in mind)

(It was right before they met valric the shaman, when they were about to be ambushed by orcs, but some uthgardt came out and brought the pain. During the battle I think I remember him saying something about how no orc was as strong as an uthgardt. I know for a fact that wulfgar thought he was stronger than any orc.)
(There is always the chance he was exaggerating to achieve some kind of effect/emphasise something, I suppose - especially if the Uthgardt mentioned was being particularly awesome. About Wulfgar thinking he was stronger than any orc, not only is it right, but it's obvious that Wulfgar would think that - he's a hammer-throwing, orc-murdering machine.)

Harperfan7
2010-02-14, 01:04 PM
Whether he did or didn't, don't give these guys +4 strength.

(It was right before they met valric the shaman, when they were about to be ambushed by orcs, but some uthgardt came out and brought the pain. During the battle I think I remember him saying something about how no orc was as strong as an uthgardt. I know for a fact that wulfgar thought he was stronger than any orc.)