PDA

View Full Version : Epic Repulsion Spell Questions

Lysander
2010-02-13, 10:06 PM
The spell says that the creatures you've warded against "cannot attack or touch the warded creature or object." Does that mean that they can't use ANY kind of attack, including ranged attacks and offensive spells, or is it just that they can't get close and so it only prevents melee attacks?

The other question is whether the repulsion is a tangible force, or just something that the warded creature can't approach on its own. For example, if you toss that creature at that warded object would a magical force push them aside? Or is it just that that creature can't move towards the object?

SilverStar
2010-02-13, 10:16 PM
I want to say the repulsion is based on the ever-crappy Sanctuary...yes, it pretty much is, with a variation on the ward seed.

The wording isn't completely clear, but I'd say it's some sort of intangible force.

On the attacking part, the ward seed states that natural attacks and other attacks recoil if the creature attempts to bypass the spell, but it says nothing about ranged attacks.

I'd have a look at the sanctuary spell, because this is pretty much what it is.

Lysander
2010-02-13, 10:38 PM
From reading the description of the ward seed it looks like it can only protect against natural attacks and other direct physical contact. So if the creature is attacking with a sword, the spell can't protect you. Bummer.

SilverStar
2010-02-13, 10:43 PM
Your best bet is to make a new and improved version that incorporates the finer points of Greater Ironguard into it.

Lysander
2010-02-13, 11:09 PM
What I find interesting about the spell is that it has no cost and protection (though apparently limited to preventing physical contact) is utterly absolute except for creatures with spell resistance. An epic caster can use it every single day, systematically protecting themselves from every hostile creature in existence. Or cast it on a suit of armor or a garment to protect whoever wears it. Or guard your home against intrusion by casting it on a door, or on the bricks that make up the floor.

It's really handy for creatures that just use physical attacks. Protect yourself from undead and stroll through a ghoul infested dungeon without any fear.

SilverStar
2010-02-13, 11:17 PM
Main problem here is the "creatures without SR" thing.

As an epic caster, you really shouldn't fear going through a ghoul-infested dungeon in the first place.

It's useful as a ward, I'll agree, but I'd rather have something bit more punishing. Like the Let Go Of Me spell, with more fire and disintegration. :smallbiggrin:

You also lose benefits if you approach the creatures you've warded against, but that in itself is a non-issue due to using anything with a range greater than touch.

Lysander
2010-02-14, 12:04 AM
Main problem here is the "creatures without SR" thing.

True, but as an epic spellcaster even most creatures with SR won't be able to resist the spell.

Starbuck_II
2010-02-14, 12:09 AM
It has a low DC to cast as well.

You could just increase the SR bypassing (1 for 2 ratio). Add some simple mitigation like spell slots and you could easily increase DC after raising it.

But yeah Repulsion is based on Ward seed so only stops bodily contact (so no attacking within 5 feet, but 10 feet works).

Lysander
2010-02-14, 12:14 AM
Or better yet, make it an area spell. Keep everything nasty out of your castle, no save allowed. Every casting bars one type of creature from four ten foot cubes (or maybe just protects every creature and object in that area from being approached by that creature, but seeing as that would include the walls and floor its kind of the same thing)

SilverStar
2010-02-14, 12:20 AM
I think I have the next basis for the mythal on the Hall of the Rainbow.

Thank you, Lysander. :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: