PDA

View Full Version : Do red ones always go faster?

Oslecamo
2010-02-14, 08:05 AM
As you may or may not know, WH40K orks can make something move faster just by painting it red.

This is normaly atributed to the ork's WWAAAGHH!!! power, wich changes reality acording to the ork's beliefs.

But, does this applies only to the orks, or is there more to the red color that meets the eye?

This thread will be used to collect examples of red things that do go faster, to prove that the orks aren't as mad as they look! I'll start:

Blood angels: The infamous WH40K space marine chapter is renowed for his high number of assault troops. Their vehicles are also faster that the ones of other chapters. They claim that it's because of their special custom engines. But they're also painted red. Sheer coincidence? I think not.

Khorne berzekers: The servants of the blood god are infamous for their lighting and devastating foot charges. They claim their armors are painted red because red is the color of blood. Another sheer coincidence?

The flash:from the universe of DC, the flash is the fastest being in reality. His uniform is, you guessed it, red!

Captain Marvel:His uniform has less red than the flash, but it still has a lot of the speed color, showing again that red ones do go faster.

Super man:Ever wondered why he uses that big red cape? As a bonus, his uniform is mostly blue to make him luckier.

Iron man:This time from Marvel universe, Tony Starck proved his intelegence by painting his armor red, wich allowed him to move at super sonic speeds despite the small size of his engines. As a bonus, the rest of his armor is mostly yellow to make him shootier.

Red Hulk:Altough not as strong as the green hulk (because green is best!), the red hulk was whitout a doubt faster, being always a step ahead in combat, to the point he heated up to high temperatures due to the friction with the air.

Char Aznable the Red comet:Moving three times as fast as his fellow compatriots, this Gundam character was renowed for his massive speed in an inferior mecha model. It was painted red.

TTGL:Piercing the heavens and even attacking all places at the same time, this wellknown mecha showcases a masterfull red paint job.

So, it's there a trend here, or is it just sheer coincidences?:smallbiggrin:

Mercenary Pen
2010-02-14, 08:12 AM
Char Aznable the Red comet:Moving three times as fast as his fellow compatriots, this Gundam character was renowed for his massive speed in an inferior mecha model. It was painted red.

So, it's there a trend here, or is it just sheer coincidences?:smallbiggrin:

I believe the red paint was merely to signify it was his and there were a number of other upgrades and customisations beneath the surface- it merely relates to his skill at being able to bring out the full potential of a Zaku tuned right to the edge of what was feasible without the more sophisticated control systems found in later models of mecha.

Selrahc
2010-02-14, 08:13 AM
Sports teams which play under the colour red are 10% more successful. Is this due to the speed advantage they gain? The only possible answer is yes.

Winterwind
2010-02-14, 08:13 AM
I guess it's not so much the Orks who associate red with speed, but humans. Real life humans, specifically. :smallwink:

Otogi
2010-02-14, 08:31 AM
Try painting your car red, see what happens.

Obrysii
2010-02-14, 08:54 AM
The Errant Venture in Star Wars is painted red.

But I think it's just a stripped-down barely-maintained hardly-crewed Star Destroyer.

SDF
2010-02-14, 08:54 AM

Your insurance goes up.

Grumman
2010-02-14, 09:06 AM
Quick, somebody send this to Mythbusters for testing!

Tengu_temp
2010-02-14, 09:08 AM
Quick, somebody send this to Mythbusters for testing!

That'd be nerdy even by Mythbusters standards.

Do it.

Eldan
2010-02-14, 10:29 AM
More 40k: the Saim Hann craftworld, focused on hoverbikes.

Iku Rex
2010-02-14, 11:34 AM
Note that the big'uns tend to be in charge even in human communities.

A survey of Fortune 500 CEO height in 2005 revealed that they were on average 6 feet (183 cm) tall, which is approximately 2-3 inches (7.5 cm) taller than the average American man. Fully 30% of these CEOs were 6 foot 2 inches (188 cm) tall or more; in comparison only 3.9% of the overall United States population is of this height.-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heightism#In_business

Dr.Epic
2010-02-14, 11:56 AM

That reminds me of a joke from Futurama about who putting flames on a vehicle will make it go faster.:smallbiggrin:

Mercenary Pen
2010-02-14, 12:04 PM
I'm wondering if, rather than an effect of the colour on the actual performance of the vehicle, it has instead a psychological effect on the driver... Although, in most cases, we should pin the colour down further than just red, because it seems to me that most of these cases are using a scarlet colouration, rather than something closer to dark red or crimson

And no, scarlet isn't an available colour, but the generic red is close enough for my purpose.

Fawkes
2010-02-14, 02:17 PM
That reminds me of a joke from Futurama about who putting flames on a vehicle will make it go faster.:smallbiggrin:

"What's your scientific basis for thinking that?"

"I'm 12."

darkblade
2010-02-14, 04:39 PM
Citing Red Hulk undermines your theory I am afraid. While he posses more manual dexterity and agility in terms of reflexes and the like than normal Green Hulk he is not as fast in terms of ability to traverse long distances and great speed as the Orks use red paint to accomplish. You know unless he is doing something stupid like stealing Silver Surfer's board again but in that case he is employing a vehicle which is not red.

Oslecamo
2010-02-14, 05:47 PM
Red Hulk jumped from the Moon to the Earth. I never saw the Green Hulk do that.

skywalker
2010-02-14, 06:01 PM
I believe the red paint was merely to signify it was his and there were a number of other upgrades and customisations beneath the surface- it merely relates to his skill at being able to bring out the full potential of a Zaku tuned right to the edge of what was feasible without the more sophisticated control systems found in later models of mecha.

In Japan, people are likely to label a red pencil "3 times as faster" as a standard pencil. The Char Custom Game Boy Advance is said to have 3 times the battery life of a normal one.

The Char Custom credit card actually earns 3 times the bonus points of a standard Gundam credit card from that company. It is ridiculous.

And yes, red does make you go faster. It also gets you arrested faster.

Oslecamo
2010-02-14, 06:08 PM

And that's the reason why Orks don't just paint everything red. Sometimes, there are things more important than speed.:smallsmile:

Mercenary Pen
2010-02-14, 06:13 PM
In Japan, people are likely to label a red pencil "3 times as faster" as a standard pencil. The Char Custom Game Boy Advance is said to have 3 times the battery life of a normal one.

The Char Custom credit card actually earns 3 times the bonus points of a standard Gundam credit card from that company. It is ridiculous.

But the question is, which came first, the triple speed or the red paint?

Eldpollard
2010-02-14, 06:16 PM

That's far too easy. Paint yourself and see if you sprint faster.

Emperor Ing
2010-02-14, 06:20 PM
If the blades on a chainblade are painted red....

If a Major League Baseball pitcher paints his baseballs red, if the batter does the same with their bat...

The possibilities are endless!

Volkov
2010-02-14, 06:22 PM
Mario wears red and blue. He is slightly faster than luigi in my experience, and he is lucky as he is the protagonist.

Nerd-o-rama
2010-02-14, 06:22 PM
Char gets homaged in Gundam 00 - the Trans-AM System turns the mobile suit using it red and gives it literally three times the reactor output rate, which translates to both speed and firepower with the right weapns.

F91 Gundam also glows red when moving at top speed, and sheds heat as "afterimages". Not positive, but I think V2 Gundam has done the same.

Mercenary Pen
2010-02-14, 06:26 PM
Have just double-checked, and the infamous Red Zaku of Char Aznable (within the original Mobile Suit Gundam series) is indeed a separate subtype.

However, in MS IGLOO: The hidden one year war Episode 1, we see Char Aznable using a standard model Zaku II, painted red and distinctly lacking the special characteristics and additional speed.

Jorkens
2010-02-14, 06:31 PM
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u172/sunryse13/Snoopy.jpg
Curse you, Red Baron!

Mercenary Pen
2010-02-14, 06:46 PM
Also, according to some sources, the acceleration of MS-06S Commander-type Zaku was retconned downwards to just an additional 30% of the standard MS-06 acceleration rating.

darkblade
2010-02-14, 08:25 PM
Red Hulk jumped from the Moon to the Earth. I never saw the Green Hulk do that.

I have, of course the comic in which it happened was from the Silver Age and we all know about the Silver Age.

Eldan
2010-02-14, 09:06 PM
Superman can travel back in time by going fast, and he has a red cape :smalltongue:

Partof1
2010-02-15, 02:46 AM
I am of firm belief that pinstripes equal more speed. I don't know about red, but my hoodie with stripes on the sleeves I'm sure makes me move faster. Also the fact that it can flutter like a cape if I run right, so maybe it's a motivation factor.

multilis
2010-02-15, 03:06 AM
In real life, red *does* make you more excited and move faster, while blue is more calming/slow down/thinking color.

One of several pages found by google: http://www.psychologistworld.com/perception/color.php - "Red increases the pulse and heart rate, and raises your blood pressure. It increases the appetite by increasing your metabolism, which is why red is such a popular color in restaurants. It is active, aggressive and outspoken. One bank found that their lines moved faster when they increased the use of red in the bank lobby, and in a study of several hundred college students, a researcher found that they responded more quickly to cues under red light than under green light"

Lord of Rapture
2010-02-15, 03:13 AM
In real life, red *does* make you more excited and move faster, while blue is more calming/slow down/thinking color.

One of several pages found by google: http://www.psychologistworld.com/perception/color.php - "Red increases the pulse and heart rate, and raises your blood pressure. It increases the appetite by increasing your metabolism, which is why red is such a popular color in restaurants. It is active, aggressive and outspoken. One bank found that their lines moved faster when they increased the use of red in the bank lobby, and in a study of several hundred college students, a researcher found that they responded more quickly to cues under red light than under green light"

Oh my god. WH40K has gotten into the real world! We're all doomed! :smalleek:

Killer Angel
2010-02-15, 03:28 AM

Clearly, you'd go faster (http://www.mccullagh.org/db9/1ds-5/ferrari-enzo-1.jpg)! Faster than all the others (http://www.futurefilmfestival.org/it/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/cars-lightning-mcqueen.jpg)! :smalltongue:

Oslecamo
2010-02-15, 05:03 AM
Oh my god. WH40K has gotten into the real world! We're all doomed! :smalleek:

Now, now, how bad could it be...

GODS WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

Grey Paladin
2010-02-15, 05:05 AM
If this effect indeed depends on the way the orks see the world, then would a warband of orks putting on old-styled 3D glasses cause the entire world to go faster (and be luckier)? if the orks did not look at themselves would this mean the rest of the world will move faster than them and so they can use this technique to time-travel?

Solaris
2010-02-15, 06:45 AM
And that's the reason why Orks don't just paint everything red. Sometimes, there are things more important than speed.:smallsmile:

Like dakka. If youz gotz enuff dakka, den da coppas don't catch ya.

thubby
2010-02-15, 07:14 AM
interesting point, paints' weight is dependent on it's color.
on the scale of something like a 747, being black can actually make them too heavy.
so, on the right scale, red does makes it go faster.

Oslecamo
2010-02-15, 08:31 AM
If youz gotz enuff dakka

You gitz! You can nevah have enuff dakka!